Lieutenant

Re: 70000 Tons of NO Metal

by Pellaz » Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:09 pm

cowboy71 wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:39 pm
    deathmetalpat wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:36 pm
    Ravenlord wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:06 pm

Seems they have updated it now.
    Thanks Caitlin!
    It seems they are active here and checking in on the posts at least.At this point the ship itself has to be locked in and paid for (or at least a line of credit for about $2,000,000).So here is my theory,they wanted to weed out families and some of the less dedicated veterans to be replaced by newer people.70k of kids and wives don’t spend the amount of money on beer and merch as 70k of Metalheads.Think of it as “The Replacement Cruiser Theory “ ,it had to happen eventually because if younger people never got on the ship the cruise would just become 70k of Retirement Home :headbanger: ,or as cruising as known as “The Newlywed and Nearly Dead”
    It will weed out a lot of international cruisers to, due to the limited time to get organised, the increased cost in flights, and declining exchange rates against the US. Even if the internationals can make it, the increased costs would mean that they would have less disposable income to spend on the abovementioned beer and merch.

Leading to....

70000 Tons of Americans!
    --And even though I'm from America, that would make me very, very sad.
    2025 Wishlist:
    1349--Abbath--Abigail.Williams--Aephanemer--Agalloch--Agathodaimon--Alien.Weaponry--Allegaeon--Amon.Amarth--Amorphis--Animals.As.Leaders--Arkona--Arsis--Atrocity--Ayreon--Bal.Sagoth--Baroness--Barren.Earth--Battlelore--Behemoth--Below.7--Belzebubs--Be'lakor--Black.Crown.Initiate--Bloodbath--Borknagar--Broken.Trinity--Cannibal.Corpse--Chthe'ilist--CoF--Countless.Skies--Cynic--Demons.&.Wizards--Dimmu.Borgir--Dark.Tranquillity--Dragonforce--Edge.of.Sanity--Witherscape--anything.Dan.Swano--Eluveitie--Eneferens--Ensiferum--Enslaved--Eternal.Tears.of.Sorrow--Evergrey--Exmortus--Ex.Deo--Fear.Factory--Fires.In.the.Distance--Gojira--Graveworm--Green.Carnation--Hypocrisy--Immortal--Insomnium--Irreversible.Mechanism--Kalmah--Kamelot--Keep.Of.Kalessin--Korpiklaani--Kreator--Leprous--Luciferan.Light.Orchestra--Loss--Melechesh--Meshuggah--Mezarkabul--Moonspell--Mors.Principium.Est--Myrath--Ne.Obliviscaris--Nile--Nokturnal.Mortem--NorthTale--Novembers.Doom--Obscura--Old.Mans.Child--Opeth--Paladin--Poisonblack--Powerwolf--Primordial--Rapheumet's.Well--Raven--Rivers.Of.Nihil--Ryujin--Sabaton--Sadistic.Ritual--Samael--Satyricon--Savatage--Scale.the.Summit--Scorched.Moon--Septic.Flesh--Serious.Black--Seven.Spires--Sigh--Skalmold--Slough.Feg--Starkill--Steorrah--SYL--Suidakra--Summoning--Tarot--Therion--Thy.Serpent--Tomarum--Tomb.Mold--Turisas--Twilight.Force--Tyr--Vale.Of.Pnath--Valhalore--Vesania--Vintersorg--Wolfchant--Yyrkoon
    2015-2020; 2023-2024: Survivor
    2025: most likely
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:11 pm

Calling it right now that the number of countries represented will be significantly less than in previous years!
    Upcoming Gigs:
    -/-Scar-Symmetry-/-Wind-Rose-/-Unleash-The-Archers-/-Amaranthe
    2025 Wishlist
    Ad-Infinitum-/-Aephanemer-/-All-For-Metal-/-Alterium-/-Ancient-Bards-/-Atlas-Pain-/-Avantasia-/-Battlelore-/Beast-In-Black-/-Believer-/-Beyond-The-Black-/-Brothers-of-Metal-/-Catalyst-Crime-/-Civil-War-/-Circus-Maximus-/-Claymorean-/-Cobra-Spell-/-Dark-Moor-/-Dark-Sarah-/-Dartagnan-/-Diabulus-In-Musica-/-Edguy-/-Ex-Libris-/-Exit-Eden-/-Fellowship-/-Follow-The-Cipher-/-Frozen-Crown-/-Galderia-/-Hammer-King-/-Heavatar-/-Ignea-/-Imperial-Age-/-In-This-Moment-/-Jaldaboath-/-Kaledon-/-Labyrinth-/-Living-Sacrifice-/-Metalite-/-Moonlight-Haze-/-Neopera-/-Nestor-/-Nocturna-/-Orden-Ogan-/-Pathfinder-/-Phantom-Elite-/-Poisonblack-/-Power-Paladin-/-Powerwolf-/-The-Privateer-/-Rexoria-/-Running-Wild-/-She-Wolf-/-Silver-Bullet-/-Sleeping-Romance-/-Sojourner-/-Tarot-/-Ten-/-Thaurorod-/-The-Big-Deal-/-The-Dark-Element-/-Trick-or-Treat-/-Trillium-/-Unisonic-/-Valhalore-/-Vanishing-Point-/-Volturian-/-Walk-In-Darkness-/-Within-Temptation
    Pellaz
    Lieutenant

by Pellaz » Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:14 pm

cowboy71 wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:11 pm Calling it right now that the number of countries represented will be significantly less than in previous years!
    No fucking WAY I'd take that bet.

There were 64 countries represented at the Ayreon "Electric Castle" performances in Tilburg NL two weeks ago.
    It wouldn't surprise me if the number on 70K was that low for 2020.......assuming there IS a 70K in 2020.
    2025 Wishlist:
    1349--Abbath--Abigail.Williams--Aephanemer--Agalloch--Agathodaimon--Alien.Weaponry--Allegaeon--Amon.Amarth--Amorphis--Animals.As.Leaders--Arkona--Arsis--Atrocity--Ayreon--Bal.Sagoth--Baroness--Barren.Earth--Battlelore--Behemoth--Below.7--Belzebubs--Be'lakor--Black.Crown.Initiate--Bloodbath--Borknagar--Broken.Trinity--Cannibal.Corpse--Chthe'ilist--CoF--Countless.Skies--Cynic--Demons.&.Wizards--Dimmu.Borgir--Dark.Tranquillity--Dragonforce--Edge.of.Sanity--Witherscape--anything.Dan.Swano--Eluveitie--Eneferens--Ensiferum--Enslaved--Eternal.Tears.of.Sorrow--Evergrey--Exmortus--Ex.Deo--Fear.Factory--Fires.In.the.Distance--Gojira--Graveworm--Green.Carnation--Hypocrisy--Immortal--Insomnium--Irreversible.Mechanism--Kalmah--Kamelot--Keep.Of.Kalessin--Korpiklaani--Kreator--Leprous--Luciferan.Light.Orchestra--Loss--Melechesh--Meshuggah--Mezarkabul--Moonspell--Mors.Principium.Est--Myrath--Ne.Obliviscaris--Nile--Nokturnal.Mortem--NorthTale--Novembers.Doom--Obscura--Old.Mans.Child--Opeth--Paladin--Poisonblack--Powerwolf--Primordial--Rapheumet's.Well--Raven--Rivers.Of.Nihil--Ryujin--Sabaton--Sadistic.Ritual--Samael--Satyricon--Savatage--Scale.the.Summit--Scorched.Moon--Septic.Flesh--Serious.Black--Seven.Spires--Sigh--Skalmold--Slough.Feg--Starkill--Steorrah--SYL--Suidakra--Summoning--Tarot--Therion--Thy.Serpent--Tomarum--Tomb.Mold--Turisas--Twilight.Force--Tyr--Vale.Of.Pnath--Valhalore--Vesania--Vintersorg--Wolfchant--Yyrkoon
  • Godflesh
    Ensign

by Godflesh » Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:18 pm

"Thanks to everyone who drove here! You truly are the United Nations of Heavy Metal!!"
  • deathmetalpat
    Ensign

by deathmetalpat » Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:20 pm

cowboy71 wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:39 pm
    deathmetalpat wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:36 pm
    Ravenlord wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:06 pm

Seems they have updated it now.
    Thanks Caitlin!
    It seems they are active here and checking in on the posts at least.At this point the ship itself has to be locked in and paid for (or at least a line of credit for about $2,000,000).So here is my theory,they wanted to weed out families and some of the less dedicated veterans to be replaced by newer people.70k of kids and wives don’t spend the amount of money on beer and merch as 70k of Metalheads.Think of it as “The Replacement Cruiser Theory “ ,it had to happen eventually because if younger people never got on the ship the cruise would just become 70k of Retirement Home :headbanger: ,or as cruising as known as “The Newlywed and Nearly Dead”
    It will weed out a lot of international cruisers to, due to the limited time to get organised, the increased cost in flights, and declining exchange rates against the US. Even if the internationals can make it, the increased costs would mean that they would have less disposable income to spend on the abovementioned beer and merch.

Leading to....

70000 Tons of Americans!
    This is very true,as late as it is now I can fly about 1,000 from my airport and pay $171 RT on Spirit Airlines (You arrive alive is their motto) ,and even get a not too bad 4 pm flight back on Saturday.Just one day before the cruise stay,still plenty of places just for Monday.
    2012-14 Survivor
    2015-16 Abandoned Ship
    2017 Returned
    2018 Got a bad feeling about this Abandon Ship
    2019 This is Fucking Ridiculous
    2020 Bands ,what bands boat is all that matters
    2021 Yeah this isn’t happening
    spooky
    Petty Officer

by spooky » Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:24 pm

70000 Tons of Americans!
    [/quote]

--And even though I'm from America, that would make me very, very sad.
    [/quote]
    ...it would make me horribly sad, as five of my annual crew are from canada, uk, and the czech republic. i NEED them there! :|
    2016: Survivor
    2017: Survivor
    2018: Survivor
    2019: Survivor
    2020: Survivor
    2021: FUCK COVID
    2022: FUCK COVID
    2023: Survivor
    2024: Survivor
    Cardest
    Midshipman

by Cardest » Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:52 pm

Hold the phone!

The 2019 aftermovie is now on the website welcome page!

https://70000tons.com/

Wish list: Grand Magus, ARCTURUS, Borknagar, SIGH, Vastum, ABSU, Temple of Void, Frozen Crown, King Diamond/Mercyful Fate, Kawir, Vuur, Chthonic, Cemetery Urn, Tombs, Acid Witch, Slough Feg, Hammers of Misfortune
  • Godflesh
    Ensign

by Godflesh » Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:05 pm

TPH wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:55 am My personal opinion: it's just harder and harder to find big/good names willing to come on the boat, and they are unable to assemble their line-up for 2020. Just remember last year, Napalm Death joined at the very last minute and they were asked just a few days before the cruise (Barney even joked about it on stage); so, UMC were still looking after decent sized bands at the 11th hour, and they didn't have a complete line-up just days before leaving. And, to be honest, last year's lineup was already really weak in my opinion.

The above post may be a complete pile of shit, I can be completely wrong. We'll never know, unless someone from UMC shows some basic respect for their customers, and tell people WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON - just saying.
    To be fair, Andy said in an interview that he contacted NAPALM DEATH starting in August, and kept them as a last minute “joker” in case he would need them.
  • Godflesh
    Ensign

by Godflesh » Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:26 pm

Correction: it was October, not August.
    Part 1
    I posted Dutch metalmagazine Aardschok’s review on 70K before. This is a rough translation of the interview with the skipper.
    During the cruise organiser Andy Piller is ‘hard to get’. There is so much stuff going on. The run-up to the cruise and four days on board are the most stressful days of the year for him. However we do get the chance to do an exclusive interview. Right before our talk his assistent highlights that 20 minutes is the limit, but in the end we sat with Piller for 40 minutes. It says a lot about his thrive, on the other hand, he knows damn well how important publicity is. Moreover this gives him the opportunity to tell his side of the story with regard to some thorny issues and to clear misunderstandings. First question to the Vancouver-based Swiss. Has programming been difficult? Since, a week before departure, there were still 9 bands to be announced. AP: ‘You shouldn’t think I’m still booking bands the last week. It has become a tradition to announce bands at the very last moment. We just do it differently than a regular festival. Some musicians only got their visa the last minute, that also plays a role. It’s getting more and more difficult to get a visa for the US. Some bands even dropped out because of that. I do have a lot of spares however. Bands are really eager to play here.’
    After 9 rounds the formula is suffering from some wear and tear. An often heard point of criticism is that the programming is an ongoing repeat of moves. The same bands return to the bill regularly. Piller’s defence is on point. AP: (laughing) ‘70000 repeats of metal! I hear that a lot and accept it. Criticism can only build you up. But don’t you see a lot of the same names returning to regular festivals?’
    This round the programming has significant less allure than previous editions. The number of ‘big’ bands is also lower than before. This, according to Piller, is mainly caused by availability. AP: ‘With regard to big names, it is on the low side indeed. Fact is, big bands are harder to book because of the demandpackage. Are they off, then they are eager, because it will be a well paid holiday and they don’t lose any income. But when public favourites are touring, then it becomes difficult financially, because you take them out of their tour schedule for a week for just 2 shows. Our resources are too limited for that. For the boat I’m paying the shipping company/broker an amount of 7 digits and the first digit is absolutely not a 1. People often don’t realise how expensive this production is and think this Piller-guy became a millionaire in the meantime. A complete misconception. I now have 14 people on my payroll working on this production. So there are some expenses. The reason for announcing so many bandnames in the last month was mainly logistics. Flights, visa and so on. I had to support bands more this edition.’
    An explanation for this is that smaller bands are less experienced with that sort of thing. Last announced band however was Napalm death, not a small one at all. Vocalist Barney Greenway told us they were only booked a week in advance, making it a challenge to find flights and stay within budget. AP: ‘That is incorrect. We have already been in contact with Napalm death since october, but it was only fixed late because I’m always thinking in a broad perspective. Which bands do I need to have the line-up as diverse as possible? Because of that I always have some names as back-up. Napalm death was my joker and I’m glad they worked it out. Because of bad weather in parts of the US there were less flights, but also in Europe flights got cancelled due to winter weather on Wednesday. We even had to delay departure of the boat with half an hour for a certain band, because otherwise they wouldn’t have made it. There was a van with engines running at Miami airport to pick them up. It’s all part of the game.’
    Part 2 will follow soon...
  • Godflesh
    Ensign

by Godflesh » Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:27 pm

Thanks a lot to the person who posted the translation on FB, I don’t know if they’re on the forum.
    Part 2
    I posted Dutch metalmagazine Aardschok’s review on 70K before. This is a rough translation of the interview with the skipper.
    Programming is not Pillar’s biggest challenge however, it’s the building of the stages in no time. The boat is not available until the morning of the day of departure.
    AP: ‘There was an unpleasant surprise waiting for us this year. A full customs check of the equipment. So we are talking about 15 trailers being checked by a drug-sniffing dog. Because of this we could only start hoisting the equipment up as of 10 in the morning. That, in combination with strong winds, made it an enormous challenge to get everything built in time. I even had the boat sail in the wrong direction for 3 hours to avoid the wind and be able to build. That trick cost me 16.000 dollars on additional fuel!’
    The cruise became Piller’s life-work. Because his pioneering has a worldwide following, he has to be and stay inventive to maintain his leading position. He actually doesn’t see a threat in the upcoming competition. AP: ‘Competition is a benifit. It keeps you sharp and alert. You have to keep innovating. When you have a succesful product and lean back pleased and relaxed... that’s when things usually go wrong. In addition, my concept is unique. Actually there is no other cruise where as many metalstyles and as many bands come together. We are not focussing on or letting everything depend on 1 or 2 big names. The novelty is gone nonetheless and bands have a different attitude now, especially those that were on board before. They are asking for more money. On one hand I can understand that, everything in life gets more expensive. If you bring your soundman or drumtech, he expects to receive a 5 day salary, even though he will be enjoying the sun most of the time. A day away from home is a day paid. That’s just the approach of a professional crew. Nowadays it is more business-like compared to the early years. When I started 70K I predicted there would be 7 metalcruises in 10 years. It’s been 9 years now and there’s dozens already.’
    How about rumours of an even bigger boat and a cruise in the Mediterranean?
    AP: ‘I am not going to confirm and I am not going to deny. I can only say with certainty that the next 70K will be on the same boat.’
    What can Piller tell about the fact that bands have to pay Royal Caribbean a 35% commission on t-shirt sales, the fact that the already high prices for drinks keep increasing and the high additional fee for WiFi?
    AP: ‘Don’t think you get anything for free from RC, let alone that I get a piece of the pie. Even I have to pay for WiFi and drinks. And of my own merchandise I also have to pay 35% commission. I was told that prices for drinks did not increase since 2017, but because of many complaints I will look into that. Regarding discounts on the ticketprice, there is a 5% discount for people booking again and a 10% discount for people going a third time, as of then you are a gold member. In the meantime half of the visitors are gold members and because of that I lose 10% revenue on hundreds of tickets every year. Looking back I set the bar for the gold-status too low, but of course there’s no turning back now. However RC does earn a shitload of money because of us, so that does provide a good negotiating position for any possible future contract. I will do my utmost for my guests. They really do deserve that. There are people who put all their savings aside to be present here. That means a lot to me.’
    I just want to emphasize that this is not my interview. It was done and written down by Stan Novak for Aardschok-magazine. I just picked up my copy of the magazine and translated it to English, or rather, back to English, since the actual interview was probably in English already.
    I also want to say that with my shipping and logistics background it hurt every time I wrote boat instead of vessel, but I guess that’s just 70K lingo.
    \m/
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:44 pm

Thanks for sharing that.

Some VERY interesting insights there....
    Upcoming Gigs:
    2025 Wishlist
    Ad-Infinitum-/-Aephanemer-/-All-For-Metal-/-Alterium-/-Ancient-Bards-/-Atlas-Pain-/-Avantasia-/-Battlelore-/Beast-In-Black-/-Believer-/-Beyond-The-Black-/-Brothers-of-Metal-/-Catalyst-Crime-/-Civil-War-/-Circus-Maximus-/-Claymorean-/-Cobra-Spell-/-Dark-Moor-/-Dark-Sarah-/-Dartagnan-/-Diabulus-In-Musica-/-Edguy-/-Ex-Libris-/-Exit-Eden-/-Fellowship-/-Follow-The-Cipher-/-Frozen-Crown-/-Galderia-/-Hammer-King-/-Heavatar-/-Ignea-/-Imperial-Age-/-In-This-Moment-/-Jaldaboath-/-Kaledon-/-Labyrinth-/-Living-Sacrifice-/-Metalite-/-Moonlight-Haze-/-Neopera-/-Nestor-/-Nocturna-/-Orden-Ogan-/-Pathfinder-/-Phantom-Elite-/-Poisonblack-/-Power-Paladin-/-Powerwolf-/-The-Privateer-/-Rexoria-/-Running-Wild-/-She-Wolf-/-Silver-Bullet-/-Sleeping-Romance-/-Sojourner-/-Tarot-/-Ten-/-Thaurorod-/-The-Big-Deal-/-The-Dark-Element-/-Trick-or-Treat-/-Trillium-/-Unisonic-/-Valhalore-/-Vanishing-Point-/-Volturian-/-Walk-In-Darkness-/-Within-Temptation
    Cardest
    Midshipman

by Cardest » Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:47 pm

As I was saying...

The 2019 after movie is now on the website welcome page!!!!

A sign of life!

Wish list: Grand Magus, ARCTURUS, Borknagar, SIGH, Vastum, ABSU, Temple of Void, Frozen Crown, King Diamond/Mercyful Fate, Kawir, Vuur, Chthonic, Cemetery Urn, Tombs, Acid Witch, Slough Feg, Hammers of Misfortune
  • Godflesh
    Ensign

by Godflesh » Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:50 pm

Cardest wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:47 pm As I was saying...

A sign of life!

Scroll down, dude. Or up, depending on your viewing settings.
    Cardest
    Midshipman

by Cardest » Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:12 pm

Godflesh wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:50 pm
    Cardest wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:47 pm As I was saying...

A sign of life!

Scroll down, dude. Or up, depending on your viewing settings.
    I didn't see it! haha

• Bob
    Petty Officer

by Bob » Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:51 am

Godflesh wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:27 pm Thanks a lot to the person who posted the translation on FB, I don’t know if they’re on the forum.
    Wow, that is so interesting. Thanks for sharing.
    Wishlist 2024: Ranked in order of:
    1. Line up on the center rail for both sets if announced.

Konvent
    2. Never seen them live.
    Anaal_Nathrakh-/-Burning_Witches-/-Combichrist-/-Dee_Snider-/-Gojira-/-Grai-/-Hanzel_und_Gretyl-/-IGNEA-/-Inquisition-/-Jinjer-/-Lovebites-/-King_Diamond-/-Mgla-/-Opeth-/-Rob_Zombie-/-Spiritbox-/-Temple_of_Evil-/-The_Hu-/-Vader-/-Visigoth-/-Wagakki_Band
    3. Seen them before and would love to see them on das boat.
    Avatar-/-Babymetal-/-Behemoth-/-Corrosion_of_Conformity-/-Fleshgod_Apocalypse-/-Lacuna_Coil-/-Lamb_of_God-/-Meshuggah-/-Metsatöll-/-Myrkur-/-Sabaton-/-Sepultura-/-Suicidal_Tendencies-/-Therion-/-The_Iron_Maidens-/-Wolves_in_the_Throne_Room
    70K Survivor - 2015, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 23
  • DarkMacek
    Oiler

by DarkMacek » Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:11 am

FWIW - I talked to a member of Powerglove after 2017 and was told that all bands get paid to be on 70k (though crews don't usually, maybe for Anthrax or Accept-stature bands.) I have no idea how much, but I sort of figured that a band of their stature would probably have paid to play onboard for exposure. (If this becomes viral and seems douchey, please know that I love the band and am aware that their drummer is usually onboard as a spectator and is a badass dude.)
  • sven321
    Wiper

by sven321 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:31 am

October poolgirl on website now...
    2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2023 survivor
  • Pasquale
    Wiper

by Pasquale » Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:30 pm

Godflesh wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:27 pm Thanks a lot to the person who posted the translation on FB, I don’t know if they’re on the forum.
    You’re welcome
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:36 pm

A poolgirl for October but:

- NO mention of it on twitter
    - NO mention of it on facebook
    - NO mention of it on instagram
    - NO correct link to it on the website even (links point to the September one)

Seriously - do they have an intern looking after this at the moment?
    Upcoming Gigs:
    2025 Wishlist
    Pellaz
    Lieutenant

by Pellaz » Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:50 pm

DarkMacek wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:11 am FWIW - I talked to a member of Powerglove after 2017 and was told that all bands get paid to be on 70k (though crews don't usually, maybe for Anthrax or Accept-stature bands.) I have no idea how much, but I sort of figured that a band of their stature would probably have paid to play onboard for exposure. (If this becomes viral and seems douchey, please know that I love the band and am aware that their drummer is usually onboard as a spectator and is a badass dude.)
    Most bands get paid, although there are a very few who pay-to-play (or their labels pay).
    Bands' crew are usually included in their allotment. For example Therion was allotted 9 slots, and used the "extras" for their techs. (Oddly enough they were allocated five rooms, but only 9 slots, which means one room became a solo cabin for Christofer.)
    2025 Wishlist:
  • Godflesh
    Ensign

by Godflesh » Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:57 pm

cowboy71 wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:36 pm - NO mention of it on facebook
    At this point, 70000Tons posting a poolgirl on FB would be equivalent to asking a bleeding road wreck victim if they’d be interested in saving 15% on car insurance.
    Don’t do it, folks.
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:59 pm

Godflesh wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:57 pm
    cowboy71 wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:36 pm - NO mention of it on facebook
    At this point, 70000Tons posting a poolgirl on FB would be equivalent to asking a bleeding road wreck victim if they’d be interested in saving 15% on car insurance.
    Don’t do it, folks.
    DOOOO IIIIIT FOOOOLKS!

Upcoming Gigs:
    2025 Wishlist
  • Godflesh
    Ensign

by Godflesh » Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:15 pm

Pasquale wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:30 pm
    You’re welcome
    Nice to see you on the forum!
    Seriously man, I know this is 6 months late (I caught this in March when you originally posted it), but thanks again for your efforts in translating this long interview from Dutch, this is the most first-hand insight we had in a long time, if not ever.
    Amalu
    Chief Petty Officer

by Amalu » Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:01 pm

cowboy71 wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:59 pm DOOOO IIIIIT FOOOOLKS!

Yes, please do it Andy!! I know you can deliver a great show and posting the current pool girl would deliver a spectacular show on Facebook. :mrgreen:
  • Bob
    Petty Officer

by Bob » Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:19 pm

Godflesh wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:27 pm ...
    AP: ‘Don’t think you get anything for free from RC, let alone that I get a piece of the pie. Even I have to pay for WiFi and drinks. And of my own merchandise I also have to pay 35% commission. I was told that prices for drinks did not increase since 2017, but because of many complaints I will look into that. Regarding discounts on the ticketprice, there is a 5% discount for people booking again and a 10% discount for people going a third time, as of then you are a gold member. In the meantime half of the visitors are gold members and because of that I lose 10% revenue on hundreds of tickets every year. Looking back I set the bar for the gold-status too low, but of course there’s no turning back now. However RC does earn a shitload of money because of us, so that does provide a good negotiating position for any possible future contract. I will do my utmost for my guests. They really do deserve that. There are people who put all their savings aside to be present here. That means a lot to me.’
    Another 2 I saw called it quits today. I think that's the plan, to thin the herd. Andy wants to see new people on the boat, he is losing money due to half the guests being gold status. The more gold/silver members that drop out, the more full-paying newbies will fill the void. I know it sounds diabolical, but it will make the cruise more in-the-black.

But there is a break-even point where the longer this SOON goes on ..., and it's not pretty.

I'm still 100% certain the boat will sell out. And I'm going whether there is a cruise or not, I've already got my flights and hotels booked, Fort Lauderdale and Miami here I come. Key West is a fun place to party also. Haha!
    Wishlist 2024: Ranked in order of:
    1. Line up on the center rail for both sets if announced.

Konvent
    2. Never seen them live.
    Anaal_Nathrakh-/-Burning_Witches-/-Combichrist-/-Dee_Snider-/-Gojira-/-Grai-/-Hanzel_und_Gretyl-/-IGNEA-/-Inquisition-/-Jinjer-/-Lovebites-/-King_Diamond-/-Mgla-/-Opeth-/-Rob_Zombie-/-Spiritbox-/-Temple_of_Evil-/-The_Hu-/-Vader-/-Visigoth-/-Wagakki_Band
    3. Seen them before and would love to see them on das boat.
    Avatar-/-Babymetal-/-Behemoth-/-Corrosion_of_Conformity-/-Fleshgod_Apocalypse-/-Lacuna_Coil-/-Lamb_of_God-/-Meshuggah-/-Metsatöll-/-Myrkur-/-Sabaton-/-Sepultura-/-Suicidal_Tendencies-/-Therion-/-The_Iron_Maidens-/-Wolves_in_the_Throne_Room
    70K Survivor - 2015, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 23
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:33 pm

Bob wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:19 pm
    Godflesh wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:27 pm ...
    Another 2 I saw called it quits today. I think that's the plan, to thin the herd. Andy wants to see new people on the boat, he is losing money due to half the guests being gold status. The more gold/silver members that drop out, the more full-paying newbies will fill the void. I know it sounds diabolical, but it will make the cruise more in-the-black.

But there is a break-even point where the longer this SOON goes on ..., and it's not pretty.

I'm still 100% certain the boat will sell out. And I'm going whether there is a cruise or not, I've already got my flights and hotels booked, Fort Lauderdale and Miami here I come. Key West is a fun place to party also. Haha!
    Yep - survivors are the ones most likely to desert as they are sick of this year on year. Newbies don't know better.

As a Gold I could save $US600 by booking the cabin I want upfront. Multiply that by (what is the return rate - 65%)..... That is 10s of thousands of dollars. Significant for what is a relatively (ie 14 staff) small operation!
    Upcoming Gigs:
    2025 Wishlist
    Tiki108
    Petty Officer

by Tiki108 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:55 pm

If it's become that much of an issue though, why not just do away with the discount? What's the worst that would happen? Survivors won't come back? Isn't that pretty much what it seems like the plan is? I think the 5% pay in full option should stay just to encourage that a bit and get him more money upfront and not dealing with multiple transactions. I mean, there's nothing in writing saying that discount would last forever.
    70K: 2014, 2020
    MDF: 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017
    Summer Breeze: 2014, 2015
    Party.San: 2015
    ProgPower: 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2022, 2023
    Trveheim: 2018

2024_Wishlist:

Probably skipping again :cry:
      Le G@SP
      Oiler

by Le G@SP » Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:08 am

I was there for the very first edition in 2011, such a great experience! So, 9 years later, I was very excited to come back on the ship from France for the 10th anniversary. I still keep some hope that the festival will take place but if the booking starts too late (= not this month), I'm afraid I will not be there anyway. OK, a few days in Florida is not a bad thing, especially in January when it's grey and cold in Paris, so I could take the risk to book my flights now... but the disappointment would be too great if the festival was cancelled to enjoy the stay...
      acidbasement
      Chief Petty Officer

by acidbasement » Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:29 am

Le G@SP wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:08 am I was there for the very first edition in 2011, such a great experience! So, 9 years later, I was very excited to come back on the ship from France for the 10th anniversary. I still keep some hope that the festival will take place but if the booking starts too late (= not this month), I'm afraid I will not be there anyway. OK, a few days in Florida is not a bad thing, especially in January when it's grey and cold in Paris, so I could take the risk to book my flights now... but the disappointment would be too great if the festival was cancelled to enjoy the stay...
      It's not going to be cancelled. And if it is, there will be a lot of us partying in Florida that week, so book your flights! :viking:
      I'm only here to do two things: play the bagpipes and gargle sulphuric acid. Looks like we're almost out of acid.
      Welli
      Oiler

by Welli » Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:35 am

We'll flee the cold and dark winter anyway. Flight and hotel are booked. Miami, we're coming!
      jeyrow
      Petty Officer

by jeyrow » Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:04 am

God help you :lol: Enjoy your time in Miami

Welli wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:35 am We'll flee the cold and dark winter anyway. Flight and hotel are booked. Miami, we're coming!
      70000Tons - 2015 - 7307
      70000Tons - 2016 - 7531
      70000Tons - 2017 - 6231
      70000Tons - 2018 - No
      70000Tons - 2019 - 6131
      70000Tons - 2020 - No
    • NECROMANCER
      Wiper

by NECROMANCER » Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:36 am

Not sure if this helps but I just got an email from royal Caribbean confirming that UMC will be using one of there ships for 2020

"Dear Chris:

Thank you for your email. We apologize for the delay in our response.

In reviewing our records, we can confirm that the Independence of the Seas has been chartered for the January 7, 2020 70000 Tons of Metal cruise. Please note that while a Royal Caribbean International ship is being used for this cruise, a chartered sailing is basically "private" rather than a Royal Caribbean sailing. The chartering agency is responsible for providing all information about the reservation to their guests, and so we must ask that you reach out to the charter agency at 888-705-8667 if you have any further questions about the sailing. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Chris, thank you for choosing Royal Caribbean International. We look forward to welcoming you aboard in the future.

Sincerely,

Ashley Pedersen
      Royal Caribbean Customer Support

-----------------------------

Steyns,Chris
      Country of Residence: USA

My cruise information:
      Booking ID: Not Specified
      Ship: Not Specified
      Sail Date: Not Specified
      Phone:

Issue: I just have a general inquiry regarding UMCruises International Ltd.
      Will the 70000 tons of metal cruise be taking place January 7-11 2020 through your company royal Caribbean.
      There are a lot of people that have been left in the dark regarding this matter, any information would be greatly appreciated as the metal community world wide is fiercely dedicated to metal.
      We would just like an answer in regards to this matter so we can make other plans to travel to other countries for heavy metal festivals.
      Thank you for taking the time to pass this along to the relivent people to address this matter and I eagerly await your response.
      Welli
      Oiler

by Welli » Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:01 am

jeyrow wrote: God help you :lol: Enjoy your time in Miami

Welli wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:35 am We'll flee the cold and dark winter anyway. Flight and hotel are booked. Miami, we're coming!
      Thank you! :beerwink:
      cowboy71
      Commander

by cowboy71 » Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:47 pm

To those that believe the plan all along has been to start the show on 10th of the 10th for the 10th cruise, I ask, how do you think the planning meetings for 70K 2020 have been going?

Skipper: Okay team, not doing anything until 10th of the 10th because hey, WHAT A GREAT IDEA!

Social Media Person - you've been doing a great job, posting every day or 2 with pooldeck photos, survivor tips, etc. DON'T keep it up! September I want one post from you on facebook, maybe two if people are getting REALLY antsy. ANTSY! I love that word!! USE IT!! :D

Web Person - post the pool girl photo (don't put it on facebook Social Media Person!!) but get the links wrong. That will be ROFL funnies! Oh and that '100 days to go' that I get you to do every year? Dont. kthanx. Oh yeah and that Sept 25th date on the website? Whatevs - leave it, change it, tell people not to worry about. Doesn't matter - it's only money right?

Contact Centre Team - you guys. I love you guys. I love giving you ALL this extra work responding to worried customers. Keep it up! And please, when people ask very specific questions, either ignore the question entirely or give a very vague answer. And REMEMBER PEOPLE - USE your thesaurus! I want as many ways to say SOON as possible. They LOVE it. Some suggestions - "Very Soon" (always gets a giggle) and "In the near future" works too.

Then on 10th of October we will unleash with the announcements! Will they be any more special because its Round X? LOLS - of COURSE not, but people will be so happy to get anything they will not care.

-----> PROFIT!
      Upcoming Gigs:
      2025 Wishlist
      mbob
      Chief Petty Officer

by mbob » Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:57 pm

I think Andy has booked so many bands for Round X he does not have any cabins left for paying customers.
      2015 - Survivor...Finally! (8320)
      2016 - Survivor (2292)
      2017 - Survivor (9618)
      2018 - Survivor (9678)
      2019 - Survivor (9272)
      2020 - Retired
      2021 - COVID
      2022 - COVID

2023 - Retired
      2024 - Retired

2025 - Maybe time to come out of 70K retirement!
      Sgt. B
      Lieutenant-Commander

by Sgt. B » Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:11 pm

mbob wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:57 pm I think Andy has booked so many bands for Round X he does not have any cabins left for paying customers.
      Half of those bands are contracted to just play "Washy Washy" for a full set in the entryway of the Windjammer.
      1914-Abbath-Aeon-Ahab-Akercocke-Alcest-AliceCooper-Alestorm-AmonAmarth-Amorphis-AnaalNathrakh-Anathema-AnnekeVanGeirsbergen/VUUR-ArmoredSaint-Asphyx-AtTheGates-Auðn-Ayreon-BarrenEarth-Behemoth-Be'lakor-BlackBreath-BlackFast-BlindGuardian-Borknagar-Brainstorm-CallenishCircle-Candlemass-CarpenterBrut-ChelseaWolfe-CirithUngol-Cloak-Conan-CravenIdol-Cruachan-CryptSermon-CultOfLuna-CutUp-DarkAngel-DarkFortress-DeadCongregation-DeathAngel-DemolitionHammer-Demons&Wizards-DevinTownsend-Dismember-DraggedIntoSunlight-Dyscarnate-EdgeOfSanity-ElectricWizard-Emperor-Enforcer-Enshine-Entombed-Entrails-EsotericUK-Evocation-Exodus-Evoken-Exhorder-Falkenbach-FatesWarning-Fen-Feral-Firespawn-Flotsam&Jetsam-ForgottenTomb-GeneralSurgery-Ghost-GhostBath-Ghoul-Godflesh-Gojira-Gorguts-Gorod-GrandMagus-Grave-GraveMiasma-GreenCarnation-Haemorrhage-HammersOfMisfortune-Hate-HighSpirits-HoodedMenace-Hypocrisy-IcedEarth-Ihsahn-Immolation-ImperiumDekadenz-InTheWoods-Incantation-InterArma-IronReagan-Izegrim-Kadavar-Kampfar-KeepOfKalessin-Khemmis-Khonsu-KingDiamond/MercyfulFate-KingGoat-Kriegsmaschine-LaazRockit-LacunaCoil-LegionOfTheDamned-LIK-LimbonicArt-Loudness-Lvcifyre(UK)-Manegarm-Melechesh-Memoriam-Mgla-MiseryIndex-Mistur-MonsterMagnet-Moonsorrow-Moonspell-MournfulCongregation-MunicipalWaste-MyDyingBride-Myrkur-MysticProphecy-Nails-Necrot-NovembersDoom-Novembre-NuclearAssault-Okera-Opeth-OrangeGoblin-OranssiPazuzu-Orchid-Overkill-PagansMind-Panopticon-Perturbator-Portal-Powerwolf-Primordial-Profetus-PowerTrip-Prong-Queensryche-RottenSound-RottingChrist-S.O.D.-Sabbat(UK)-SacredReich-Sanctuary-Saor-Sarke-Saturnus-Satyricon-Saxon-Schammasch-SecretsOfTheMoon-ShapeOfDespair-SkeletalRemains-Skeletonwitch-Skepticism-Skyclad-Skyforger-Sleep-SloughFeg-Solstafir-SufferingHour-SuicidalAngels-SulphurAeon-SvartCrown-Sylosis-TempleOfVoid-Testament-TheCrown-TheGathering-TheGreatOldOnes-TheHaunted-TheLurkingFear-TheOcean-TheRuinsOfBeverast-Therion-Thulcandra-Thyrfing-Tribulation-Triptykon-Uada-Ulcerate-Unleashed-Vader-Vemod-Vio-Lence-Visigoth-Voices(UK)-Vredehammer-Vreid-WakeTheDead-Watain-Wayfarer-Waylander-Windhand-Winterfylleth-Witherscape-WithinTemptation-Wolf-WolvesInTheThroneRoom-Yob-Zhrine

2012: Survivor
      2014: Survivor
      2015: Survivor
      2016: Survivor
      2017: Survivor
      2018: Survivor
      2019: Survivor
      2020: Survivor
      2023: Survivor
      2024: Survivor
      BtH(2012): Survivor
      Daenerys
      Midshipman

by Daenerys » Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:46 pm

Sgt. B wrote:
      Half of those bands are contracted to just play "Washy Washy" for a full set in the entryway of the Windjammer.
      :lol: :lol: I 100% support this.
      Voyager-Vuur-GrandMagus-Myrath-Borknagar-NovembersDoom-Aeternam-Havok-TheHaloEffect-Moonspell-SepticFlesh-Sigh-BarrenEarth-Iotunn-ScarSymmetry-Nekrogoblikon
    • meshuggah
      Ensign

by meshuggah » Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:56 pm

1st announcement for Round X, announced on Month X on day X has got to be Symphony X
      cowboy71
      Commander

by cowboy71 » Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:05 pm

meshuggah wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:56 pm 1st announcement for Round X, announced on Month X on day X has got to be Symphony X
      I'd gladly take King's X

:)
      Upcoming Gigs:
      2025 Wishlist
      Lala
      Midshipman

by Lala » Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:51 am

Andy needs another headliner cos metallica cancelled all gigs......
      2011 - survived - 2012 - survived - 2013 - survived - 2014 - survived - 2015 - survived - 2016 - survived - 2017 - survived - 2018 - survived - 2019 - survived - 2020 - survived
      2023 - NO

www.lalasreisen.de