Post Reply 109 posts
2020 Set Length Speculation
  • Jotunheimr
    Midshipman

Re: 2020 Set Length Speculation

by Jotunheimr » Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:46 pm

Danny24601 wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:48 pm
    Jotunheimr wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:41 pm Orphaned Land got 60 minutes in 2012 and 2014, no? Carach Angren will get 45 again, I guess.
    Yeah OL are kinda hard to predict here. They've released a successful new record and toured a lot since 2017 though, and I think their profile has been raised by that. On the other hand, their last major NA tour was opening for Tyr, who only get 45 min round here.

More important question, why does Tyr only ever get 45 min? They seem far more popular round these parts than bands like Kalmah who get 60 min. And I love them to death.
    I'm a huge fan of Tyr and they were my #1 band on the 2016 cruise, but I understand why they only got 45 minutes. Compared to other folk bands like Korpiklaani, Turisas, and Finntroll they aren't really that popular (but I was impressed with how many people were at their pool deck set in 2016). On the other hand, certain bands like Sabaton and Alestorm have exploded in popularity over the past 10 years. Yes, part of it is personal preference but in Sabaton's case, not too many bands can say that Accept opened for them. They rightfully headlined in 2018 after getting 60 minutes in 2011 and 2013. Alestorm is constantly climbing higher and higher on festival lineups, commonly headlining over long time established bands like Candlemass, Exodus, Marduk, Napalm Death, Nile, Satyricon, Soilwork, and Suffocation, yet they've never been given more than 45 minutes on the cruise. We've all tried to understand Andy's quiet, (un?)calculated madness but it doesn't work.
    2015: 6511
    2016: 7455
    2020: 3240
    2025:

2024 Gigs: Tyr&Trollfest-/-Korpiklaani-/-Firewind-/-Kamelot-/-Exhumed-/-AmonAmarth

Wishlist: AdornedBrood-/-Alestorm-/-Arcturus-/-Arkona-/-Arsis-/-Artension-/-BeastInBlack-/-Blackguard-/-BlackMessiah-/-Borknagar-/-Carcass-/-CarpathianForest-/-CircleIICircle-/-Crownshift-/-Cruachan-/-Cryptosis-/-Dalriada-/-DerWegEinerFreiheit-/-DimmuBorgir-/-Einherjer-/-Eluveitie-/-Elvenking-/-Ensiferum-/-Enslaved-/-Equilibrium-/-Falconer-/-Falkenbach-/-Fejd-/-Feuerschwanz-/-Finntroll-/-Finsterforst-/-Firewind-/-FleshgodApocalypse-/-Folkearth-/-Forefather-/-Gåte-/-Glittertind-/-Gorguts-/-Haggard-/-HarakiriForTheSky-/-Heidevolk-/-Isengard-/-JonOlivasPain-/-Kampfar-/-KingOfAsgard-/-KivimetsanDruidi-/-Korpiklaani-/-Krisiun-/-LornaShore-/-Lumsk-/-Manegarm-/-Metsatoll-/-Mithotyn-/-Moonsorrow-/-Moonspell-/-Necrophagist-/-Nightwish-/-OfTheWandAndTheMoon-/-Otyg-/-Primordial-/-RiotV-/-RottingChrist-/-Sabaton-/-Savatage-/-SevenSpires-/-Skalmold-/-Skiltron-/-Skyforger-/-Sodom-/-Solstafir-/-Spellblast-/-SpiritsOfFire-/-SteelPanther-/-Svartsot-/-Swashbuckle-/-Testament-/-TheBlackDahliaMurder-/-TheHaunted-/-Thorondir-/-Thyrfing-/-ToxicHolocaust-/-Trollfest-/-Turisas-/-Tyr-/-Ulver-/-Varg-/-Verikalpa-/-Vintersorg-/-Warmen-/-Wintersun-/-Wolfchant
  • Godflesh
    Ensign

by Godflesh » Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:15 pm

cowboy71 wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:56 pm 2019 we had 14 bands get 60 minutes and 3 get 75.

I think we've got our three 75 minute bands already, but only 9 60s.

MAYBE there is an 'ace up the sleeve' headliner to come that might bump one of the others (or join them, as a 4th).

So to come, possibly:

1 x 75 minute band
    5 x 60 minute bands
    20 x 45 minute bands
    We have 10 60mners with MOONSORROW.
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:19 pm

All 4 new announcements will be 45-minuters I would wager.
    Upcoming Gigs:
    -/-Scar-Symmetry-/-Wind-Rose-/-Unleash-The-Archers-/-Amaranthe
    2025 Wishlist
    Ad-Infinitum-/-Aephanemer-/-All-For-Metal-/-Alterium-/-Ancient-Bards-/-Atlas-Pain-/-Avantasia-/-Battlelore-/Beast-In-Black-/-Believer-/-Beyond-The-Black-/-Brothers-of-Metal-/-Catalyst-Crime-/-Civil-War-/-Circus-Maximus-/-Claymorean-/-Cobra-Spell-/-Dark-Moor-/-Dark-Sarah-/-Dartagnan-/-Diabulus-In-Musica-/-Edguy-/-Ex-Libris-/-Exit-Eden-/-Fellowship-/-Follow-The-Cipher-/-Frozen-Crown-/-Galderia-/-Hammer-King-/-Heavatar-/-Ignea-/-Imperial-Age-/-In-This-Moment-/-Jaldaboath-/-Kaledon-/-Labyrinth-/-Living-Sacrifice-/-Metalite-/-Moonlight-Haze-/-Neopera-/-Nestor-/-Nocturna-/-Orden-Ogan-/-Pathfinder-/-Phantom-Elite-/-Poisonblack-/-Power-Paladin-/-Powerwolf-/-The-Privateer-/-Rexoria-/-Running-Wild-/-She-Wolf-/-Silver-Bullet-/-Sleeping-Romance-/-Sojourner-/-Tarot-/-Ten-/-Thaurorod-/-The-Big-Deal-/-The-Dark-Element-/-Trick-or-Treat-/-Trillium-/-Unisonic-/-Valhalore-/-Vanishing-Point-/-Volturian-/-Walk-In-Darkness-/-Within-Temptation
  • Godflesh
    Ensign

by Godflesh » Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:28 pm

Hmm, MOONSORROW had 45mn in 2017, but now has a 70mn show.
    Does that leave room for a 60mner, or not?
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Thu Dec 26, 2019 3:12 am

60 Minutes for Exodus, 45 for each of the other latest announcements.
    Upcoming Gigs:
    2025 Wishlist
    Ad-Infinitum-/-Aephanemer-/-All-For-Metal-/-Alterium-/-Ancient-Bards-/-Atlas-Pain-/-Avantasia-/-Battlelore-/Beast-In-Black-/-Believer-/-Beyond-The-Black-/-Brothers-of-Metal-/-Catalyst-Crime-/-Civil-War-/-Circus-Maximus-/-Claymorean-/-Cobra-Spell-/-Dark-Moor-/-Dark-Sarah-/-Dartagnan-/-Diabulus-In-Musica-/-Edguy-/-Ex-Libris-/-Exit-Eden-/-Fellowship-/-Follow-The-Cipher-/-Frozen-Crown-/-Galderia-/-Hammer-King-/-Heavatar-/-Ignea-/-Imperial-Age-/-In-This-Moment-/-Jaldaboath-/-Kaledon-/-Labyrinth-/-Living-Sacrifice-/-Metalite-/-Moonlight-Haze-/-Neopera-/-Nestor-/-Nocturna-/-Orden-Ogan-/-Pathfinder-/-Phantom-Elite-/-Poisonblack-/-Power-Paladin-/-Powerwolf-/-The-Privateer-/-Rexoria-/-Running-Wild-/-She-Wolf-/-Silver-Bullet-/-Sleeping-Romance-/-Sojourner-/-Tarot-/-Ten-/-Thaurorod-/-The-Big-Deal-/-The-Dark-Element-/-Trick-or-Treat-/-Trillium-/-Unisonic-/-Valhalore-/-Vanishing-Point-/-Volturian-/-Walk-In-Darkness-/-Within-Temptation
  • Godflesh
    Ensign

by Godflesh » Thu Dec 26, 2019 3:37 am

cowboy71 wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 3:12 am 60 Minutes for Exodus, 45 for each of the other latest announcements.
    Yep. One more 60mner to go (or two, depending on MOONSORROW’s schedule).

Edit: wait, even with MOONSORROW, that’s 11, and we had 14 In 2019.
    So 3 more big names? Hard to believe, but why not.
  • Godflesh
    Ensign

by Godflesh » Thu Dec 26, 2019 3:52 am

FYI, the original post is missing SOEN and THE AGONIST.
    I hope the latter will only get 45mn.
  • Godflesh
    Ensign

by Godflesh » Thu Dec 26, 2019 4:07 am

Also, even though we got 14 60mners in 2019, we only had 13 in 2018.
  • progsteph
    Crewman

by progsteph » Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:54 am

I really hope there are some more 60 minutes bands. but i doubt it. everybody knows that now its usually the lesser known bands that are coming. But: there should be surprises right? so why not surprise us with "bigger" bands with the last announcements ;)

so far im only surprised by an unknown french band reunion, a new band with Zak Stevens and the (i guess first time ever pre-cruise named) "headlining" show by Michael Schenker....i mean its ok.
    But for an anniversary cruise? as a headliner?..hmmm....
    As i skipped 2019 because i thought 2020 will be big (and because of no money) i was hoping for maybe getting bands on that no one ever thinks its possible, like Avantasia or Amon Amarth ;-)
    or let In Flames play jester race in its entirety. or get Savatage ! (dreaming) :-)
    2017 survivor
    2018 survivor
    2020 survivor

Wishlist: Avatarium/Blind Guardian/Behemoth/Dimmu Borgir/Dream Theater/In Flames/Lacuna Coil/Machine Head/Oceans of Slumber/Paradise Lost/Savatage/Slayer/Stratovarius/Vanden Plas/Vuur/Zeal&Ardor
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:03 pm

Latest 3 - all 45s? Or does Ross get 60 because, Manowar?
    Upcoming Gigs:
    2025 Wishlist
  • Godflesh
    Ensign

by Godflesh » Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:09 pm

cowboy71 wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:03 pm Latest 3 - all 45s? Or does Ross get 60 because, Manowar?
    All 45. 60mner is incoming. TESTAMENT? I’ve seen them enough times already.
    (If ROSS THE BOSS had 60, they probably would have mentioned HAIL TO ENGLAND. Also, his shows at festivals seem short, and in small stages).
    Danny24601
    Petty Officer

by Danny24601 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:46 pm

cowboy71 wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:03 pm Latest 3 - all 45s? Or does Ross get 60 because, Manowar?
    My money is on Ross getting 60, looking at the lineup so far.
    Seventh.Wonder/Theocracy/The.Night.Flight.Orchestra/Draconian/My.Dying.Bride/Primordial/Turisas/Katatonia/Swallow.the.Sun/Eluveitie/Seven.Spires/Tyr/Soilwork/Helloween/Countless.Skies/Anaal.Nathrakh/Frozen.Crown/Sonata.Arctica/Powerwolf/Blind.Guardian/Avantasia/Within.Temptation/Aephanemer/Serenity/Saturnus/Moonspell/Scardust/The.Halo.Effect/Sabaton/Noumena/Sojourner/Dragony/Omnium.Gatherum/Soen/Paradise.Lost/Shape.of.Despair/Hamferd/Aether.Realm/Brothers.of.Metal/Dawn.of.Solace/Tribulation/Twilight.Force/Be'lakor/Wilderun/Beast.in.Black/Ensiferum/Serenity.in.Murder/Dimmu.Borgir/Amon.Amarth/Visigoth/Satyricon/Cradle.of.Filth/Unleash.the.Archers/Moonsorrow/Epica
  • Godflesh
    Ensign

by Godflesh » Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:53 am

No chance for ROSS THE BOSS getting 60mn.
    Two (2) 60mn bands left.
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 6:49 am

Another firm 45 in Brujeria. So too Possessed and Once Human.
    Upcoming Gigs:
    2025 Wishlist
  • Godflesh
    Ensign

by Godflesh » Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:05 pm

**Still** no 60mn band since EXODUS.
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:51 pm

And still no 60 minute bands.

If we expect the next 3-pack to be Cripper-level bands they will all be 45s.

Maybe one final band after that which will get 60.
    Upcoming Gigs:
    2025 Wishlist
  • progsteph
    Crewman

by progsteph » Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:22 am

An anniversary cruise without real headliner worthy bands....at least for me.

even the 2014 cruise with just 40 bands had more bands i like.
    i would consider myself having a very open range when it comes to music, and the last years there always was something during the last 30 bands that i really wanted to see, at least 8 more cool bands. this time zero. zero!. bad luck and also bad planning too.

and even running wild for a bonus cant make that up ...
    2017 survivor
    2018 survivor
    2020 survivor

Wishlist: Avatarium/Blind Guardian/Behemoth/Dimmu Borgir/Dream Theater/In Flames/Lacuna Coil/Machine Head/Oceans of Slumber/Paradise Lost/Savatage/Slayer/Stratovarius/Vanden Plas/Vuur/Zeal&Ardor
    cholernik
    Petty Officer

by cholernik » Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:40 am

I feel bad for people that don't like Emperor
    2020: Survivor
  • progsteph
    Crewman

by progsteph » Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:16 am

cholernik wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:40 am I feel bad for people that don't like Emperor
    well ok i forgot the "almost" - but i think you get the point...;-)
    2017 survivor
    2018 survivor
    2020 survivor

cholernik
    Petty Officer

by cholernik » Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:20 am

progsteph wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:16 am
    cholernik wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:40 am I feel bad for people that don't like Emperor
    I hear ya. After I joined the forum and the first 15 or so bands were already announced my wish list of unannounced bands was only at 19 bands, and zero of those were announced. Still pumped for a handful of these bands and I'm down for checking out some new ones. a good third of the bands I don't give a shit about, and that's my personal preference, but for me this is more about just living the awesome experience.

with all the bitching this year and upset people about currently popular bands not being on, maybe that brings hope for next year.
  • progsteph
    Crewman

by progsteph » Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:35 pm

cholernik wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:20 am
    with all the bitching this year and upset people about currently popular bands not being on, maybe that brings hope for next year.
    to be honest i don't like bitching and then i did it myself immediately :-)...
    i have a lot of bands that i will see this year. due to my amazing taste (joking).
    and of course it was very good the last years with many popular known bands. i also enjoyed very much "no name bands" and found some good stuff during the years.
    its just: paying so much money you also want to see more known bands. i know some people don't care about that, but some do really get their money together to have this experience, fly all around the world - know that they don't know many bands when they have to book to get a spot on the ship - and then they see that this year is not turning out as good as the last years. they still will have a good time, no doubt. i see myself running around in 2017 wishing for less good bands that i can have a rest or eat something ;-):-) ...

man, its hard to explain - im not angry, im disappointed...
    2017 survivor
    2018 survivor
    2020 survivor

cholernik
    Petty Officer

by cholernik » Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:04 pm

progsteph wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:35 pm
    cholernik wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:20 am

to be honest i don't like bitching and then i did it myself immediately :-)...
    i have a lot of bands that i will see this year. due to my amazing taste (joking).
    and of course it was very good the last years with many popular known bands. i also enjoyed very much "no name bands" and found some good stuff during the years.
    its just: paying so much money you also want to see more known bands. i know some people don't care about that, but some do really get their money together to have this experience, fly all around the world - know that they don't know many bands when they have to book to get a spot on the ship - and then they see that this year is not turning out as good as the last years. they still will have a good time, no doubt. i see myself running around in 2017 wishing for less good bands that i can have a rest or eat something ;-):-) ...

man, its hard to explain - im not angry, im disappointed...
    bottom line is you can't please everybody. what one person may call a headliner, I might classify as a skip. The cruise does a good job of getting a mix of metal. I was hopeful that with Emperor being the first band announced there was going to be a black metal focus, and sure there's a handful of BM acts, but not a ton and not a ton I'm stoked for.

I am weird in the sense that I usually hate listening to new music and my tastes are very specific, but getting anticipated for this cruise has not only got me into new bands that are on this cruise, but new bands that people were hopeful to get on this cruise. I found a lot of new music because of this thing and I can't be mad about that. What I can be disappointed at is that a lot of the new bands I got into, due to people guessing the next letter, aren't on this year. However, this last round just got me into Ereb Altor and No Raza. Never heard of them before today and totally digging them. And yeah, a lot of bands I checked out I thought were just total garbage, but like you said, it's the experience. Plus I won't be worried about missing a band for sleep or eating or beer.

I wish bands were announced quicker so I had more time to get into the bands, but hey, if they were, I would be hoping it was closer to sail time. So now I guess these new bands are only 4 days away. I'm lucky enough to not have to travel around the world though, so I'm sitting here doing nothing until my flight on Monday.
    Danny24601
    Petty Officer

by Danny24601 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:30 pm

Looks like we're light on 60 min bands at the moment, so I'm guessing that some of Ross (that Manowar hype, plus he plays big venues on his upcoming tour), Orphaned Land (60 all years but 2017), Moonsorrow (pretty hype name and already bumped to 70 for one set), and Cattle Decapitation (last album was really well received, also playing big venues in NA) will get bumped to 60.
    Seventh.Wonder/Theocracy/The.Night.Flight.Orchestra/Draconian/My.Dying.Bride/Primordial/Turisas/Katatonia/Swallow.the.Sun/Eluveitie/Seven.Spires/Tyr/Soilwork/Helloween/Countless.Skies/Anaal.Nathrakh/Frozen.Crown/Sonata.Arctica/Powerwolf/Blind.Guardian/Avantasia/Within.Temptation/Aephanemer/Serenity/Saturnus/Moonspell/Scardust/The.Halo.Effect/Sabaton/Noumena/Sojourner/Dragony/Omnium.Gatherum/Soen/Paradise.Lost/Shape.of.Despair/Hamferd/Aether.Realm/Brothers.of.Metal/Dawn.of.Solace/Tribulation/Twilight.Force/Be'lakor/Wilderun/Beast.in.Black/Ensiferum/Serenity.in.Murder/Dimmu.Borgir/Amon.Amarth/Visigoth/Satyricon/Cradle.of.Filth/Unleash.the.Archers/Moonsorrow/Epica
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:32 pm

Yeah definitely will be a few we thought to get 45 that will get 60.

All the latest are sold 45s.
    Upcoming Gigs:
    2025 Wishlist
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:37 pm

OR we could get a 62nd band, and just have a lot more 45 minute sets due to the extra couple of bands?
    Upcoming Gigs:
    2025 Wishlist
  • Godflesh
    Ensign

by Godflesh » Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:13 pm

Let’s try to guess the remaining 60mn bands.
    I agree with MOONSORROW, but not ROSS THE BOSS.
    We have ORPHANED LAND and CATTLE DECAP, I only agree with the latter.
    Any other guesses?
  • Godflesh
    Ensign

by Godflesh » Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:10 am

And here comes SOILWORK to fill that 60mn gap.
    Pellaz
    Lieutenant

by Pellaz » Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:51 pm

Godflesh wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:10 am And here comes SOILWORK to fill that 60mn gap.
    Bingo!
    2025 Wishlist:
    1349--Abbath--Abigail.Williams--Aephanemer--Agalloch--Agathodaimon--Alien.Weaponry--Allegaeon--Amon.Amarth--Amorphis--Animals.As.Leaders--Arkona--Arsis--Atrocity--Ayreon--Bal.Sagoth--Baroness--Barren.Earth--Battlelore--Behemoth--Below.7--Belzebubs--Be'lakor--Black.Crown.Initiate--Bloodbath--Borknagar--Broken.Trinity--Cannibal.Corpse--Chthe'ilist--CoF--Countless.Skies--Cynic--Demons.&.Wizards--Dimmu.Borgir--Dark.Tranquillity--Dragonforce--Edge.of.Sanity--Witherscape--anything.Dan.Swano--Eluveitie--Eneferens--Ensiferum--Enslaved--Eternal.Tears.of.Sorrow--Evergrey--Exmortus--Ex.Deo--Fear.Factory--Fires.In.the.Distance--Gojira--Graveworm--Green.Carnation--Hypocrisy--Immortal--Insomnium--Irreversible.Mechanism--Kalmah--Kamelot--Keep.Of.Kalessin--Korpiklaani--Kreator--Leprous--Luciferan.Light.Orchestra--Loss--Melechesh--Meshuggah--Mezarkabul--Moonspell--Mors.Principium.Est--Myrath--Ne.Obliviscaris--Nile--Nokturnal.Mortem--NorthTale--Novembers.Doom--Obscura--Old.Mans.Child--Opeth--Paladin--Poisonblack--Powerwolf--Primordial--Rapheumet's.Well--Raven--Rivers.Of.Nihil--Ryujin--Sabaton--Sadistic.Ritual--Samael--Satyricon--Savatage--Scale.the.Summit--Scorched.Moon--Septic.Flesh--Serious.Black--Seven.Spires--Sigh--Skalmold--Slough.Feg--Starkill--Steorrah--SYL--Suidakra--Summoning--Tarot--Therion--Thy.Serpent--Tomarum--Tomb.Mold--Turisas--Twilight.Force--Tyr--Vale.Of.Pnath--Valhalore--Vesania--Vintersorg--Wolfchant--Yyrkoon
    2015-2020; 2023-2024: Survivor
    2025: most likely
  • Godflesh
    Ensign

by Godflesh » Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:11 am

BRUJERIA getting 60mn is the only big surprise.
    Only 12 60mners.
Post Reply 109 posts