Locked 48 posts
Will 70K 2021 happen?
    slayergeek
    Midshipman

Will 70K 2021 happen?

by slayergeek » Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:44 am

This is a serious question, and while there has been frequent speculation over the years due to Andy's lack of statements and delays this time around the question is more real than ever and very possibly out of Andy's control.

I am very hopeful that it will happen, and if Andy and Royal (or whatever line..since we don't know for sure) are able to pull it off I will be on board...period.

That being said, if cruise lines are not allowed to sail, if the US and other counties still have major travel and/or gathering restrictions, or for whatever other 'The World is going to Hell' reason, there is a serious possibility of us not sailing until 2022.

What do you guys think?

Will it happen, and if it does happen, will you be there?
    Last edited by slayergeek on Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Survivor
    • 2014,2015,2016,2017,2018,2019,2020,2023,2024,See_you_in_2025

Absolute_Darkness-Death/Thrash_Band_I_am_the_Singer/Guitarist_for
    • FacebookPage-https://www.facebook.com/BandAbsoluteDarkness

Thud_Bukit-Death/Comedy_Band_I_am_the_Singer/Guitarist/Drummer/Bassist_for
    • FacebookPage-https://www.facebook.com/Thud-Bukit-100960638505481

70k Bands - Unofficial iPhone/Android_app_of_the_70,000_tons_cruise
    WishList
    • Old_Man's_Child-/-Battle_Cross-/-Impaled-/-Dismember-/-Amon_Amarth-/-Dethklok-/-Gruesome-/-Rotten_Sound-/-As_Blood_Runs_Black-/-Through_The_Eyes_Of_The_Dead-/-Testament-/
    mbob
    Chief Petty Officer

Re: Will 70K 2021 happen?

by mbob » Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:49 pm

The following is my opinion only...

I believe that the cruise industry will remain shut down through the end of the year at the minimum and most likely a longer than that. I think that all music festivals and large-scale concert tours will be too.

At the end of the day what is required for life to head towards some sort of normalcy again is a vaccine and that will hopefully come next spring if we are lucky.

Obviously, that means 70K would not be sailing in January 2021. Don’t know if it would be possible to move it until later in the year. I am afraid that if 70K does not sail at all next year then that could be the end of it. There will be many music festival casualties as a result of this.

Regardless of when the ships will be sailing again, I believe that it is going to be extremely hard getting bands from overseas to commit to anything anytime soon. The last thing they want to do is risk investing money just to lose out due to cancellations. On top of that bands are hurting bad right now. A “vacation” gig that does not really pay that well compared to other opportunities might not be worthwhile. All of this could cause a big problem when it comes to booking.

Unfortunately, with this virus washing your hands, wearing a mask, having your temperature checked and being tested for it will not help in the long run. Looking at “flattening the curve” as a sign that we are heading out of the woods is nothing but a false sense of hope.

My biggest concern is while we are starting to lighten up social restrictions is that it is eventually going to get worse again. While things might get better for a short time it is going to 180 back up and be worse than it was before, and we will be right back where we are today.

Again, the key to ending this madness is the vaccine.

While I have tickets to many concerts later in the year, a family vacation to Disneyland in July, an 8-day family cruise over Thanksgiving, I believe all of those will end up being cancelled. However, while I am prepared for the worst, I do have hope and will continue to make plans until told otherwise.

As far as me attending 70K again, due to new priorities in my life I had to miss this year and will likely miss 2021 as well. Don’t know if I will ever make it back but you never know. Regardless, I will always support this cruise like I was.
    2015 - Survivor...Finally! (8320)
    2016 - Survivor (2292)
    2017 - Survivor (9618)
    2018 - Survivor (9678)
    2019 - Survivor (9272)
    2020 - Retired
    2021 - COVID
    2022 - COVID

2023 - Retired
    2024 - Retired

2025 - Maybe time to come out of 70K retirement!
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:28 pm

Desperately want to be there for the 10th anniversary. After having been on every single one so far it would suck to miss this one.

BUT. I'm 50 next year, I'm an asthmatic, and was a pack-a-day smoker until my mid-30s.

Given all the above I DO NOT want to be stuck on a cruise ship, or in America, and get COVID.

So unless there is a vaccine, I'm most likely out even if 70K goes ahead in January.

As to whether it does...

mbob makes some great points. Bands are all hurting financially, are they going to want to write off an entire week for the cruise? Maybe not. Are older band members going to want to be stuck on a cruise ship without a vaccine? Maybe not. Are bands from countries still deemed 'at risk' gonna want to be quarantined for 14 days upon arrival? Maybe not.
    Upcoming Gigs:
    -/-Scar-Symmetry-/-Wind-Rose-/-Unleash-The-Archers-/-Amaranthe
    2025 Wishlist
    Ad-Infinitum-/-Aephanemer-/-All-For-Metal-/-Alterium-/-Ancient-Bards-/-Atlas-Pain-/-Avantasia-/-Battlelore-/Beast-In-Black-/-Believer-/-Beyond-The-Black-/-Brothers-of-Metal-/-Catalyst-Crime-/-Civil-War-/-Circus-Maximus-/-Claymorean-/-Cobra-Spell-/-Dark-Moor-/-Dark-Sarah-/-Dartagnan-/-Diabulus-In-Musica-/-Edguy-/-Ex-Libris-/-Exit-Eden-/-Fellowship-/-Follow-The-Cipher-/-Frozen-Crown-/-Galderia-/-Hammer-King-/-Heavatar-/-Ignea-/-Imperial-Age-/-In-This-Moment-/-Jaldaboath-/-Kaledon-/-Labyrinth-/-Living-Sacrifice-/-Metalite-/-Moonlight-Haze-/-Neopera-/-Nestor-/-Nocturna-/-Orden-Ogan-/-Pathfinder-/-Phantom-Elite-/-Poisonblack-/-Power-Paladin-/-Powerwolf-/-The-Privateer-/-Rexoria-/-Running-Wild-/-She-Wolf-/-Silver-Bullet-/-Sleeping-Romance-/-Sojourner-/-Tarot-/-Ten-/-Thaurorod-/-The-Big-Deal-/-The-Dark-Element-/-Trick-or-Treat-/-Trillium-/-Unisonic-/-Valhalore-/-Vanishing-Point-/-Volturian-/-Walk-In-Darkness-/-Within-Temptation
  • deathmetalpat
    Ensign

by deathmetalpat » Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:38 pm

No, simple answer.
    2012-14 Survivor
    2015-16 Abandoned Ship
    2017 Returned
    2018 Got a bad feeling about this Abandon Ship
    2019 This is Fucking Ridiculous
    2020 Bands ,what bands boat is all that matters
    2021 Yeah this isn’t happening
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:47 pm

deathmetalpat wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:38 pm No simple answer.
    Indeed.

Another thing to consider, for cruisers, is that so many have taken a huge hit due to this.

Either lost jobs, reduced hours etc. Exchange rates have crashed too - making the cruise itself 10% more expensive for me regardless of annual price increase. Would be the same for most non-US peeps.

Even me, even though my job is still safe (for now), I've had to reduce my paid leave to nothing (because paid leave is a liability on the company's books, so they look better if everyone reduces their leave balance to zero). So I may not even have leave available to take in January for 70K.

70K 2021 could just end up being a bunch of american bands and american cruisers!
    Upcoming Gigs:
    2025 Wishlist
    Ad-Infinitum-/-Aephanemer-/-All-For-Metal-/-Alterium-/-Ancient-Bards-/-Atlas-Pain-/-Avantasia-/-Battlelore-/Beast-In-Black-/-Believer-/-Beyond-The-Black-/-Brothers-of-Metal-/-Catalyst-Crime-/-Civil-War-/-Circus-Maximus-/-Claymorean-/-Cobra-Spell-/-Dark-Moor-/-Dark-Sarah-/-Dartagnan-/-Diabulus-In-Musica-/-Edguy-/-Ex-Libris-/-Exit-Eden-/-Fellowship-/-Follow-The-Cipher-/-Frozen-Crown-/-Galderia-/-Hammer-King-/-Heavatar-/-Ignea-/-Imperial-Age-/-In-This-Moment-/-Jaldaboath-/-Kaledon-/-Labyrinth-/-Living-Sacrifice-/-Metalite-/-Moonlight-Haze-/-Neopera-/-Nestor-/-Nocturna-/-Orden-Ogan-/-Pathfinder-/-Phantom-Elite-/-Poisonblack-/-Power-Paladin-/-Powerwolf-/-The-Privateer-/-Rexoria-/-Running-Wild-/-She-Wolf-/-Silver-Bullet-/-Sleeping-Romance-/-Sojourner-/-Tarot-/-Ten-/-Thaurorod-/-The-Big-Deal-/-The-Dark-Element-/-Trick-or-Treat-/-Trillium-/-Unisonic-/-Valhalore-/-Vanishing-Point-/-Volturian-/-Walk-In-Darkness-/-Within-Temptation
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:41 pm

mbob wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:49 pm
    Regardless of when the ships will be sailing again, I believe that it is going to be extremely hard getting bands from overseas to commit to anything anytime soon. The last thing they want to do is risk investing money just to lose out due to cancellations. On top of that bands are hurting bad right now. A “vacation” gig that does not really pay that well compared to other opportunities might not be worthwhile. All of this could cause a big problem when it comes to booking.
    Circling back to this point.

Monsters of Rock Cruise 2021 sails a month later than 70K admittedly.

But, it goes a day longer than 70k.

And they already have a very solid lineup of bands confirmed.

Alice Cooper, Saxon, Pretty Maids, Y & T, Rose Tattoo, Loudness, Skid Row to name a few.

So there are clearly a few artists out there willing to commit - question is, how many?
    Upcoming Gigs:
    2025 Wishlist
    taketheday
    Chief Petty Officer

by taketheday » Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:51 am

cowboy71 wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:28 pm Desperately want to be there for the 10th anniversary. After having been on every single one so far it would suck to miss this one.

BUT. I'm 50 next year, I'm an asthmatic, and was a pack-a-day smoker until my mid-30s.

Given all the above I DO NOT want to be stuck on a cruise ship, or in America, and get COVID.

So unless there is a vaccine, I'm most likely out even if 70K goes ahead in January.
    Same here. I wouldn't like to miss the 10th anniversary, but I prefer to think about my health first.

I'm now 56, also asthmatic and the high blood pression, not really the time to travel from Switzerland, except if a vaccine exist before the end of this year.

At this stage Carnival cancelled every cruise from San Francisco for the whole year. I had booked a cruise to go to Hawaii from San Francisco between September and October, but have to stay at home instead :cry: Before Carnival informed me, I already hesitated to cancel by myself :roll:

2013: 7545
    2014: 9554
    2015: 2633
    2016 and 2019: 7320
    2017/2018: 7624
    2020: 7324

https://www.facebook.com/Bands.support.and.promotion
    Zed3
    Petty Officer

by Zed3 » Sat Apr 18, 2020 2:33 am

I don't think 70k will happen, at least not in early January (many good reasons already mentioned by mbob).

There's too much uncertainty right now. We're flattening the curve by staying at home but a second (or more) wave may be hard to avoid while we haven't reached the famed "herd immunity" (be it by having enough people exposed to the virus or being vaccined). So large gatherings from people from all over the world (not all countries are/will be at the same stage in this pandemic so international travel will remain complicated) are out of the picture for a good few more months at least imho.

I missed the last few cruises after my first in 2017 for various reasons but I was committed to go on 2021 (already spared what I need to but even that might be jeopardized if the economy doesn't restart quick enough as my job might suffer -it already does but it's manageable for 3/4 more months, beyond that I have no idea) but now I'm out unless there's a vaccine by booking time (0% chances of that happening) or I get Covid and get through it and thus am immune (the jury is still out on this one but let's be optimistic for once).

At the beginning of the year I was 99% sure i'd be on 70k 2021, now I'm 99% sure I will NOT (whether it be because it doesn't happen, can't go or don't feel safe going) :'-(
    2017: Survivor - 2024: hoping I'll be back onboard

Wishlist 2024:
    ...And.Oceans-/-Aephanemer-/-Aeternam-/-Aether.Realm-/-Amon.Amarth-/-Andy.Gillion-/-Animalize-/-Avatarium-/-Be'lakor-/-Belzebubs-/-Bloodywood-/-Brothers.of.Metal-/-Brymir-/-Bucovina-/-Dawn.of.Solace-/-Destinity-/-Dirty.Shirt-/-Diviner-/-Dordeduh-/-Equilibrium-/-Eternal.Champion-/-Frozen.Crown-/-Frozen.Dawn-/-Fvneral.Fvkk-/-Ghoultown-/-High.Command-/-Immortal-/-In.Mourning-/-Kalmah-/-Konvent-/-Lagerstein-/-Majestica-/-Mantar-/-Moonspell-/-Municipal.Waste-/-Myrkur-/-Nanowar.of.Steel-/-Necrophobic-/-Nestor-/-Night.Demon-/-Orden.Ogan-/-Paladin.(atl)-/-Paradise.Lost-/-Serenity-/-Significant.Point-/-Steelbourne-/-Stormkeep-/-Tankard-/-The.Halo.Effect-/-The.Night.Flight.Orchestra-/-Therapy?-/-Therion-/-Tower.(nyc)-/-Undrask-/-Unleash.the.Archers-/-Vanden.Plas-/-Wilderun-/-Wind.Rose-/-Wizdoom-/-Xaon
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Sat Apr 18, 2020 3:12 am

Adding further fuel to the fire, Victoria's chief health officer reckons that Australians won't see large gatherings or be travelling overseas until 2021.

https://www.news.com.au/national/victor ... 09ea6703a5
    Upcoming Gigs:
    2025 Wishlist
    Pellaz
    Lieutenant

by Pellaz » Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:55 pm

I'd put the odds of 70K happening next January as scheduled as no more than 30%, for the reasons already cited. Really hoping I'm wrong.

--And if it IS scheduled, I expect some REAL problems selling it out considering everyone's financial uncertainty.

Depending on how much cruise travel recovers after the pandemic -- and it will be a long, slow road -- Royal might be pretty desperate for 70K's business by the time January rolls around, though. I have a cruise scheduled for October and I give it, at most, 20-30% chance of taking place right now.
    2025 Wishlist:
    1349--Abbath--Abigail.Williams--Aephanemer--Agalloch--Agathodaimon--Alien.Weaponry--Allegaeon--Amon.Amarth--Amorphis--Animals.As.Leaders--Arkona--Arsis--Atrocity--Ayreon--Bal.Sagoth--Baroness--Barren.Earth--Battlelore--Behemoth--Below.7--Belzebubs--Be'lakor--Black.Crown.Initiate--Bloodbath--Borknagar--Broken.Trinity--Cannibal.Corpse--Chthe'ilist--CoF--Countless.Skies--Cynic--Demons.&.Wizards--Dimmu.Borgir--Dark.Tranquillity--Dragonforce--Edge.of.Sanity--Witherscape--anything.Dan.Swano--Eluveitie--Eneferens--Ensiferum--Enslaved--Eternal.Tears.of.Sorrow--Evergrey--Exmortus--Ex.Deo--Fear.Factory--Fires.In.the.Distance--Gojira--Graveworm--Green.Carnation--Hypocrisy--Immortal--Insomnium--Irreversible.Mechanism--Kalmah--Kamelot--Keep.Of.Kalessin--Korpiklaani--Kreator--Leprous--Luciferan.Light.Orchestra--Loss--Melechesh--Meshuggah--Mezarkabul--Moonspell--Mors.Principium.Est--Myrath--Ne.Obliviscaris--Nile--Nokturnal.Mortem--NorthTale--Novembers.Doom--Obscura--Old.Mans.Child--Opeth--Paladin--Poisonblack--Powerwolf--Primordial--Rapheumet's.Well--Raven--Rivers.Of.Nihil--Ryujin--Sabaton--Sadistic.Ritual--Samael--Satyricon--Savatage--Scale.the.Summit--Scorched.Moon--Septic.Flesh--Serious.Black--Seven.Spires--Sigh--Skalmold--Slough.Feg--Starkill--Steorrah--SYL--Suidakra--Summoning--Tarot--Therion--Thy.Serpent--Tomarum--Tomb.Mold--Turisas--Twilight.Force--Tyr--Vale.Of.Pnath--Valhalore--Vesania--Vintersorg--Wolfchant--Yyrkoon
    2015-2020; 2023-2024: Survivor
    2025: most likely
  • Bela20
    Oiler

by Bela20 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:45 am

We will be definitively on if cruise happens, the travel restrictions let us fly in from Switzerland and we're still in a good health and condition :D

I'm still positive that we will be rid of this fucking virus till autumn and everything will run as normal :oops: I know, I still believe in unicorns sometimes :lol: :lol:
    cegr80
    Lieutenant

by cegr80 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:24 am

Any guess is as good as the next one. Therein lies the issue, WE.DO.NOT.KNOW.JACK.SHIT

If the 2021 cruise indeed happens, I could be there BUT only after analyzing the COVID scenario around those dates (i.e. 3 months before sailing and starting the first payment). Nobody wants to be stuck on a boat when there is no vaccine for that virus
    2017.2018.2019.2020.2023.2024.GOLD.Survivor|2025 Wishlist:1349-1914-Aephanemer-Akercoke-Alcest-Alkaloid-AnaalNathrakh-AnAbstractIllusion-Atvm-Avatar-Avslut-Be'lakor-Belzebubs-ChapelOfDisease-Chthonic-Darkthrone-DiabloSwingOrchestra-Dimmu Borgir-Dodheimsgard-Draconian-EternalTearsOfSorrow-FreakKitchen-Hamferd-IATT-LochVostok-Marduk-NocnyKochanek-Satyricon-Schammasch-Scour-Shining(Nor)-Sigh-SulphurAeon-Turisas-Ulver-Virvum-Watain-WhiteWard
  • deathmetalpat
    Ensign

by deathmetalpat » Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:08 am

The biggest selling point this year will be price ,unless they are totally unable to renegotiate the charter price going back to $666 cheap quads and everything else cheaper would be helpful.Hotels are going to be cheap in Miami,if the ability to enter USA is possible.Airlines on the other hand are going to be more expensive and probably harder to get a reasonable flight with fewer flights.The city of Miami will be a unpleasant experience as recession hits ,the Caribbean islands will be a stay on the boat situation for most of the cruisers.If you thought they were annoying before,just wait until the depressions hit the islands.i give cruise happening maybe 10% now.
    2012-14 Survivor
    2015-16 Abandoned Ship
    2017 Returned
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:37 pm

deathmetalpat wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:08 am The biggest selling point this year will be price ,unless they are totally unable to renegotiate the charter price going back to $666 cheap quads and everything else cheaper would be helpful.Hotels are going to be cheap in Miami,if the ability to enter USA is possible.Airlines on the other hand are going to be more expensive and probably harder to get a reasonable flight with fewer flights.The city of Miami will be a unpleasant experience as recession hits ,the Caribbean islands will be a stay on the boat situation for most of the cruisers.If you thought they were annoying before,just wait until the depressions hit the islands.i give cruise happening maybe 10% now.
    Not sure about flights. Could go either way - could be more expensive or they could be less expensive, slashing costs to try and encourage people to travel again.

Agree with you wholehearted about Miami and the Caribbean though. Those right there are great points that I hadn't thought of previously. Would NOT leave my hotelroom in Florida nor leave the boat in the Caribbean - what a nightmare they will be!
    Upcoming Gigs:
    2025 Wishlist
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:49 pm

Ways cruising will be different post-covid:

https://thepointsguy.com/guide/cruising ... ronavirus/

"But both Dream Cruises and Star Cruises already have announced plans to cut the number of people they allow in onboard entertainment and recreation venues by 50%. In theaters, for instance, half of all seats will be left empty. "
    Upcoming Gigs:
    2025 Wishlist
  • deathmetalpat
    Ensign

by deathmetalpat » Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:25 pm

cowboy71 wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:37 pm
    deathmetalpat wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:08 am The biggest selling point this year will be price ,unless they are totally unable to renegotiate the charter price going back to $666 cheap quads and everything else cheaper would be helpful.Hotels are going to be cheap in Miami,if the ability to enter USA is possible.Airlines on the other hand are going to be more expensive and probably harder to get a reasonable flight with fewer flights.The city of Miami will be a unpleasant experience as recession hits ,the Caribbean islands will be a stay on the boat situation for most of the cruisers.If you thought they were annoying before,just wait until the depressions hit the islands.i give cruise happening maybe 10% now.
    Not sure about flights. Could go either way - could be more expensive or they could be less expensive, slashing costs to try and encourage people to travel again.

Agree with you wholehearted about Miami and the Caribbean though. Those right there are great points that I hadn't thought of previously. Would NOT leave my hotelroom in Florida nor leave the boat in the Caribbean - what a nightmare they will be!
    My flights guess is a combination of less planes flying at 60% maximum capacity rate that is being floated around at the moment.I seen taken out every middle seat to just rearranging the seats in the plane to allow for more space.Nobody is talking about this at the moment because there are barely anyone on flights and it is easy to separate them.Right now it hard to guess how long these measures will last but the main problem is the second wave theory which would be hitting right around the time of the cruise.
    2012-14 Survivor
    2015-16 Abandoned Ship
    2017 Returned
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:22 pm

If I were willing to take a huge gamble (which I'm not), flights from Australia for the dates around 70K next year are ridiculously cheap right now.

Around $1,400 return from Brisbane to Fort Lauderdale.

That is literally about half the price of the same flights for this year's 70K.
    Upcoming Gigs:
    2025 Wishlist
    Tiki108
    Petty Officer

by Tiki108 » Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:15 pm

Honestly, I would be pretty shocked if 70k could happen. If cruises do start happening again, then I think it is likely that we will see ones only with strict social distancing policies and themed cruises won't be permitted for awhile. If it does happen though, I'd love to go. I won't risk our health though and so I'll just have to evaluate the situation at the time.
    70K: 2014, 2020
    MDF: 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017
    Summer Breeze: 2014, 2015
    Party.San: 2015
    ProgPower: 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2022, 2023
    Trveheim: 2018

2024_Wishlist:

Probably skipping again :cry:
      Gratch
      Chief Petty Officer

by Gratch » Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:21 pm

I'll be absolutely shocked if it happens in 2021. I was planning on sitting next year out anyways, so it won't affect my plans much.

TBH, I'm mostly just hoping this doesn't shut down 70K for good.
      Survivor 2016/17/18/19/20

Ultimate Wishlist Bands
      Anaal Nathrakh - Behemoth - Igorrr - Khemmis - Myrkur - The Ocean - Pallbearer - Sigh - Tribulation - Sentient Horror - Turisas - Wilderun - Witherscape - Zeal & Ardor
      Castroh
      Chief Petty Officer

by Castroh » Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:15 pm

70k probably will happen, but it’ll be on the Majesty again. It’ll be cheaper for Royal Caribbean to get small boats going, and we can easily get 40 bands after this virus. They just won’t be the 30 headliners everyone wants. It’ll still be fucking fun though.
      2012 - 2020 Survivor
      2023 - Booked!
      taketheday
      Chief Petty Officer

by taketheday » Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:23 am

As several people here, I would be shocked if it happens and to be honest with you, I wouldn't like to be at the Andy's place actually. I would be curious in which situation he would lose more money.

In a way, he could plan everything, but if, as a lot of people said, a second wave (or third?) of the contaminations had to raise again in Fall or Winter, that Andy should finally cancel everything, that would be disastrous. If he decided to cancel the 2021 edition before the Fall, before to have a ship and that the second wave finally do not happens, it would be disastrous as well. I bet he should do some nightmares actually.

Take care Andy :cheers:

• DarkMacek
      Oiler

by DarkMacek » Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:58 am

Something I'm curious about on a larger scale is how to handle metal shows, period, in the coming years. More than any other public even (discounting orgies and the like), the presence of a mosh pit and the constant screaming/crowdsurfing has to be incredibly conducive for spreading this kind of thing. I don't imagine that orchestral shows have this problem.

Would you guys be willing to wear masks to shows? I would if it means we don't have to wait for a vaccine for any concert, period.
      cowboy71
      Commander

by cowboy71 » Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:21 pm

DarkMacek wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:58 am Something I'm curious about on a larger scale is how to handle metal shows, period, in the coming years. More than any other public even (discounting orgies and the like), the presence of a mosh pit and the constant screaming/crowdsurfing has to be incredibly conducive for spreading this kind of thing. I don't imagine that orchestral shows have this problem.

Would you guys be willing to wear masks to shows? I would if it means we don't have to wait for a vaccine for any concert, period.
      Agreed. We could see an increase in 'seated' metal shows. Like on 70k in the theater how they remove the front seats so we have a pit? Probably not gonna happen next time!

I'd be okay-ish about wearing a mask, but as I'm in a high risk category I probably won't attend much at all unless i'm 100% safe.
      Upcoming Gigs:
      2025 Wishlist
      taketheday
      Chief Petty Officer

by taketheday » Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:48 am

Even if a vaccine would be available this year and even if the cruise would be totally safe, what could be highly probable is the cost of the international flights. I read somewhere about the Geneva airport that the flights wont to be back to a normal way and that the cost would be higher for at least 2 years :shock:

As I'm planning to move in a little bit more than 2 years to the other part of Switzerland, it will cost me a lot of money, that means that if I had to pay a lot more for the next year's cruise (ship and flights), it would be quite difficult to manage. Well, of course, when we would be able to book, if the costs are not too high, I could decide to change my mind, but it will depends if it's totally safe for my health.

Jaimie38
      Lieutenant

by Jaimie38 » Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:20 pm

HELLO!!!! Been forever since I have been on here.... Hope everyone is doing well.
      A few years ago, I'd be "Why isn't Andy telling us anything?? etc etc... "
      Now as I am a seasoned veteran, I know better.

So, Andy, Skipper, bubie....

WHAT IS GOING ON?????

RC sends me emails all the time about cheap cruises and virtual sunsets to view from Alaska--which I should actually take part in.

My big concern is that the prices going WAY UP to cover lost revenues.

Stay Safe Stay Home Stay METAL!!!

:beerbang:
      9 Time Vet.
      Wishlist-West of Hell,Hibria,Powerwolf,WASP,DioDisciples,Loudness,
      DangerousToys,Triumph,UDO,SkullFIST,Kobra&theLotus,
      TheOrderofChaos,Diemonds,Riot City, WMD,Demons & Wizards,Liv Sin,Suicidal Angels,Dee Snider
      Pellaz
      Lieutenant

by Pellaz » Thu May 07, 2020 10:07 pm

DarkMacek wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:58 am Something I'm curious about on a larger scale is how to handle metal shows, period, in the coming years. More than any other public even (discounting orgies and the like), the presence of a mosh pit and the constant screaming/crowdsurfing has to be incredibly conducive for spreading this kind of thing. I don't imagine that orchestral shows have this problem.

They'd still have people seated inside within 6 feet of eachother, so it would still be a problem. But yes, metal shows (and any show with a standing-room floor) would probably be worse.
      Sure, not a problem. I've acquired some decently comfortable ones. But I have my doubts as to whether they'd be truly effective.
      On the other hand, with herd immunity starting to kick in (see the antibody test results in NY State, and also Sweden), it might not be as bad as we're fearing.
      2025 Wishlist:
      1349--Abbath--Abigail.Williams--Aephanemer--Agalloch--Agathodaimon--Alien.Weaponry--Allegaeon--Amon.Amarth--Amorphis--Animals.As.Leaders--Arkona--Arsis--Atrocity--Ayreon--Bal.Sagoth--Baroness--Barren.Earth--Battlelore--Behemoth--Below.7--Belzebubs--Be'lakor--Black.Crown.Initiate--Bloodbath--Borknagar--Broken.Trinity--Cannibal.Corpse--Chthe'ilist--CoF--Countless.Skies--Cynic--Demons.&.Wizards--Dimmu.Borgir--Dark.Tranquillity--Dragonforce--Edge.of.Sanity--Witherscape--anything.Dan.Swano--Eluveitie--Eneferens--Ensiferum--Enslaved--Eternal.Tears.of.Sorrow--Evergrey--Exmortus--Ex.Deo--Fear.Factory--Fires.In.the.Distance--Gojira--Graveworm--Green.Carnation--Hypocrisy--Immortal--Insomnium--Irreversible.Mechanism--Kalmah--Kamelot--Keep.Of.Kalessin--Korpiklaani--Kreator--Leprous--Luciferan.Light.Orchestra--Loss--Melechesh--Meshuggah--Mezarkabul--Moonspell--Mors.Principium.Est--Myrath--Ne.Obliviscaris--Nile--Nokturnal.Mortem--NorthTale--Novembers.Doom--Obscura--Old.Mans.Child--Opeth--Paladin--Poisonblack--Powerwolf--Primordial--Rapheumet's.Well--Raven--Rivers.Of.Nihil--Ryujin--Sabaton--Sadistic.Ritual--Samael--Satyricon--Savatage--Scale.the.Summit--Scorched.Moon--Septic.Flesh--Serious.Black--Seven.Spires--Sigh--Skalmold--Slough.Feg--Starkill--Steorrah--SYL--Suidakra--Summoning--Tarot--Therion--Thy.Serpent--Tomarum--Tomb.Mold--Turisas--Twilight.Force--Tyr--Vale.Of.Pnath--Valhalore--Vesania--Vintersorg--Wolfchant--Yyrkoon
    • deathmetalpat
      Ensign

by deathmetalpat » Mon May 11, 2020 8:51 am

Nope ,nope ,nope cruising is fucked beyond belief don’t even think about going on the cruise this year.The normalization bias is failing to see how complex systems break down.
      https://www.miamiherald.com/news/busine ... 95896.html
      2012-14 Survivor
      2015-16 Abandoned Ship
      2017 Returned
      cegr80
      Lieutenant

by cegr80 » Tue May 12, 2020 11:59 am

I still think it is too early to tell
      2017.2018.2019.2020.2023.2024.GOLD.Survivor|2025 Wishlist:1349-1914-Aephanemer-Akercoke-Alcest-Alkaloid-AnaalNathrakh-AnAbstractIllusion-Atvm-Avatar-Avslut-Be'lakor-Belzebubs-ChapelOfDisease-Chthonic-Darkthrone-DiabloSwingOrchestra-Dimmu Borgir-Dodheimsgard-Draconian-EternalTearsOfSorrow-FreakKitchen-Hamferd-IATT-LochVostok-Marduk-NocnyKochanek-Satyricon-Schammasch-Scour-Shining(Nor)-Sigh-SulphurAeon-Turisas-Ulver-Virvum-Watain-WhiteWard
      Yippee38
      Petty Officer

by Yippee38 » Fri May 15, 2020 1:01 am

If it goes, my wife and I will be onboard. We understand the risks, but we feel that being afraid to live is death. So let's live and do what we love. We'll be on the next round of the cruise, unless either one of us lose our jobs (which is a real possibility, but not likely).
      Yippee38
      Petty Officer

by Yippee38 » Fri May 15, 2020 1:06 am

taketheday wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:48 am Even if a vaccine would be available this year and even if the cruise would be totally safe, what could be highly probable is the cost of the international flights. I read somewhere about the Geneva airport that the flights wont to be back to a normal way and that the cost would be higher for at least 2 years :shock:
      As a pilot, and a capitalist, I can tell you that the airlines desperately want you to fly. If the demand is low and the supply high, the cost will be low. I can't see why costs would be higher. If I flew international (besides Canada from the U.S.), I'd be happy to fly to and from Geneva if there were passengers. We in the industry, really, really want people to fly if they are comfortable doing it. It keep us working.
      cowboy71
      Commander

by cowboy71 » Fri May 15, 2020 3:20 am

Yeah I don't see the logic in the argument that flights are going to cost more.

Surely they will be LESS because airlines will be begging people to come back!

EXAMPLE - obviously I'm not crazy enough to book yet BUT, currently I can get a return flight to FLL from Brisbane Australia, for about $AU1,400.

Same dates for the 2020 cruise, the cheapest I could ever find was $1,000 MORE than that!
      Upcoming Gigs:
      2025 Wishlist
      cowboy71
      Commander

by cowboy71 » Fri May 15, 2020 10:47 am

A moot point for me anyway! Experts here in Australia are now saying that overseas travel won't open up for us until end of 2021!

An OPTIMISTIC industry expert said:
      - "I think we might see some Asian and pacific ports open their borders to us from the start to the middle of next year,”
      - She expects travel between Australia and New Zealand from September.
      - And that "agreements with countries like Taiwan, Japan and South Korea could follow."
      - She noted that “I think it’s too early to say what the world is going to look like, but I am slightly more optimistic than other people saying overseas travel won’t start until the end of next year.”

So according to that - no chance of Australian travel to the USA being open in January :(
      Upcoming Gigs:
      2025 Wishlist
      Pellaz
      Lieutenant

by Pellaz » Mon May 18, 2020 4:36 pm

cowboy71 wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 10:47 am A moot point for me anyway! Experts here in Australia are now saying that overseas travel won't open up for us until end of 2021!

An OPTIMISTIC industry expert said:
      - "I think we might see some Asian and pacific ports open their borders to us from the start to the middle of next year,”
      - She expects travel between Australia and New Zealand from September.
      - And that "agreements with countries like Taiwan, Japan and South Korea could follow."
      - She noted that “I think it’s too early to say what the world is going to look like, but I am slightly more optimistic than other people saying overseas travel won’t start until the end of next year.”

So according to that - no chance of Australian travel to the USA being open in January :(
      If those types of outbound travel restrictions apply to more places than Australia, the cruise can't and won't happen. If people -- and bands -- can't get to it from overseas, there's no point.
      2025 Wishlist:
      Cardest
      Midshipman

by Cardest » Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:21 pm

In 10 days, it will be 200 days to sailing.
      We might get an update from the Skip about the next cruise.
      I would imagine it won't mention anything close to cancellations.
      I bet he will be more determined than ever to set sail for us all come Jan 7th, 2021.
      Just a hunch.

Also, has anyone got that list of guessing dates up?
      I can't even remember what date I guessed we'll get first announcements. I think I said Aug...something.
      cheers

Wish list: Grand Magus, ARCTURUS, Borknagar, SIGH, Vastum, ABSU, Temple of Void, Frozen Crown, King Diamond/Mercyful Fate, Kawir, Vuur, Chthonic, Cemetery Urn, Tombs, Acid Witch, Slough Feg, Hammers of Misfortune
    • metalforever
      Chief Petty Officer

by metalforever » Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:28 pm

Cardest wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:21 pm In 10 days, it will be 200 days to sailing.
      I bet he will be more determined than ever to set sail for us all come Jan 7th, 2021.
      Just a hunch.

I can't even remember what date I guessed we'll get first announcements. I think I said Aug...something.
      cheers
      Cardest yes your date is August 7 , I went and revised my guess to September 20 , the thread for this is close to the top now .
      cowboy71
      Commander

by cowboy71 » Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:05 pm

The Country Music Cruise that sails out of Fort Lauderdale normally in January, has postponed to November 2021:
      After careful consideration including consultation with the artists and our partners at Holland America Line, we have decided to re-schedule The Country Music Cruise to November 13-20, 2021 on the Holland America Line Nieuw Amsterdam.

We are still working out a few details; however, we are pleased to report the artists booked on the January 2021 Country Music Cruise lineup have all agreed to join us in November.
      Surely another nail in the coffin for 70k.
      Upcoming Gigs:
      2025 Wishlist
      cegr80
      Lieutenant

by cegr80 » Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:42 am

cowboy71 wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:05 pmSurely another nail in the coffin for 70k.
      Agreed. Does not look good for 70K happening in Jan 2021
      Pellaz
      Lieutenant

by Pellaz » Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:43 am

cowboy71 wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:05 pm The Country Music Cruise that sails out of Fort Lauderdale normally in January, has postponed to November 2021:
      After careful consideration including consultation with the artists and our partners at Holland America Line, we have decided to re-schedule The Country Music Cruise to November 13-20, 2021 on the Holland America Line Nieuw Amsterdam.

We are still working out a few details; however, we are pleased to report the artists booked on the January 2021 Country Music Cruise lineup have all agreed to join us in November.
      Surely another nail in the coffin for 70k.
      Especially damning since I'm assuming most of the bands and the fans for that country-music cruise are already from the U.S. Many (most) of 70K's clientele and performers aren't.
      2025 Wishlist:
      Cardest
      Midshipman

by Cardest » Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:13 am

metalforever wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:28 pm
      Cardest wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:21 pm In 10 days, it will be 200 days to sailing.
      Just a hunch.

cheers
      Cardest yes your date is August 7 , I went and revised my guess to September 20 , the thread for this is close to the top now .
      Yep!
      Saw it now.
      Cheers

Wish list: Grand Magus, ARCTURUS, Borknagar, SIGH, Vastum, ABSU, Temple of Void, Frozen Crown, King Diamond/Mercyful Fate, Kawir, Vuur, Chthonic, Cemetery Urn, Tombs, Acid Witch, Slough Feg, Hammers of Misfortune
    • metalforever
      Chief Petty Officer

by metalforever » Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:25 pm

As much as I enjoy the cruise , maybe it would be for the overall best , if it was postponed to early 2022.
      Then that one could be planned to be the best ever !
      Hopefully a decision either way is made before 9/15/20.
      Last edited by metalforever on Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Locked 48 posts