Locked 62 posts
Tipping on the ship
    mooyagi
    Captain

Re: Tipping on the ship

by mooyagi » Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:39 pm

KevinP wrote:
    mooyagi wrote:, I usually tip around 20% for a full bill. I may kick an extra buck or two to a bartender as well, and sometimes they return the favor by giving me free drinks :cool:

:lol: I concur. You throw a few extra $$ and get some free drinks. You end up making out on the deal. The bartender makes a few extra $$ with no skin off their back, and the corporation takes it up the ass by giving away free stuff (and their costs go up as well). That's THE AMERICAN WAY :shred:

:cheers:
    I should get around to updating my signature
    AlabastRDisastR
    Petty Officer

by AlabastRDisastR » Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:19 pm

Metalwrath wrote:Pfft i'm not tipping anybody.
    D E C K 6
    DrAmygdala
    Petty Officer

by DrAmygdala » Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:42 pm

I'm not tipping on the cruise, and don't plan to drink alcohol so won't have to worry about that mandatory %15.

When it comes to restaurants, I only tip if they've done a good job. My rule is to walk in with 20% and then deduct x% if they are slow or unfriendly. If service is really poor I have no problem leaving them no tip (and I used to be a waitress).
    Davina
    Crewman

by Davina » Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:54 am

While we're on the subject of tipping.....being from the UK I'm not really sure when it is or isn't right to tip and how much?

We're going to be staying in a Hampton Inn and this provides a complimentary shuttle bus around the local area. Would it be normal to tip after every trip or just at the end of our stay? Also are you supposed to tip taxi drivers? What would be a reasonable tip? Thanks
    Cabin 5565 \m/
    Azazel101
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Azazel101 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:43 am

on my last carnival cruise I did have one bar tender i tiped the last day of the cruise.
    it made it easier to do so seeing all drinks were included but he did all ways have a beer ready for me when i walked his way :beerwink:
    ThyDarkendShade-/-SickofitAll-/-ArchEneny-/-AmonAmarth-/-Atrophy-/-D.R.I.-/-SuicidalTendencies-/-SLAYERlastshow-/-AmoredSaint-/-Autopsy-/-Doyle-/-AcidBath-/-BodyCount-/-Defiance-/-Dismember-/-ViscularAssault-/-Clutch-/-Entrails-/-EntombedAD-/-Hypocrisy-/-JungleRot-/-BrokenHope-/-NuclearAssault-/-Solstafir-/-LodyKong-/-Swans-/-Izgrim-/-LawnmowerDeth-/-TheExploited-/-CrypticSlaughter-/-FEAR
    Survived2011/12/13/14/15/16/17/18/19/BTH
    metalgoddess
    Midshipman

by metalgoddess » Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:52 am

KevinP wrote:
    mooyagi wrote:, I usually tip around 20% for a full bill. I may kick an extra buck or two to a bartender as well, and sometimes they return the favor by giving me free drinks :cool:

:lol: I concur. You throw a few extra $$ and get some free drinks. You end up making out on the deal. The bartender makes a few extra $$ with no skin off their back, and the corporation takes it up the ass by giving away free stuff (and their costs go up as well). That's THE AMERICAN WAY :shred:

Me, too. When traveling to all inclusive resorts, where everything is paid including drinks, we always bring a wad of $1's to hand out for exceptional customer service.

Makes them smile and with bartenders, you usually get stronger drinks and less wait time. Just sayin. :heavydrink:
    70K 2011 - 5062
    70K 2012 - 8568
    Barge 2012 - 6520
    70K 2014 - 8092
    70K 2015 - 7584
    70K 2017 - 6517
    70K 2018 - 6451
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:39 am

Davina wrote:While we're on the subject of tipping.....being from the UK I'm not really sure when it is or isn't right to tip and how much?

We're going to be staying in a Hampton Inn and this provides a complimentary shuttle bus around the local area. Would it be normal to tip after every trip or just at the end of our stay? Also are you supposed to tip taxi drivers? What would be a reasonable tip? Thanks

I would kick over a couple of bucks to the shuttle driver at the end of your trip but it's not truly necessary. Even a small amount would go appreciated. As for cab drivers, I usually do around 15% if they are fun to be in the car with. Deductions for being weird or almost getting me killed, which is most taxi drivers. This isn't a perfect collection (hell, there is a disclaimer right at the start of the article) but it'll at least give you some idea of what may be expected. http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g191-s606/United-States:Tipping.And.Etiquette.html
    Davina
    Crewman

by Davina » Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:37 am

mooyagi wrote:
    Davina wrote:While we're on the subject of tipping.....being from the UK I'm not really sure when it is or isn't right to tip and how much?

I would kick over a couple of bucks to the shuttle driver at the end of your trip but it's not truly necessary. Even a small amount would go appreciated. As for cab drivers, I usually do around 15% if they are fun to be in the car with. Deductions for being weird or almost getting me killed, which is most taxi drivers. This isn't a perfect collection (hell, there is a disclaimer right at the start of the article) but it'll at least give you some idea of what may be expected. http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g191-s606/United-States:Tipping.And.Etiquette.html

Thanks, that's really helpful. :D
    Cabin 5565 \m/
    Dutchguy-Tim
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Dutchguy-Tim » Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:48 am

here's a tip for ya:

Don't eat the yellow snow!!!!!

i'm dutch, what did you expect?
    Hornblowing survivor of 70.000 tons of metal January 2011 / 2012 / 2015
    counting down to 70.000 tons of metal 2018

what the hell did you do this winter?
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:33 pm

Dutchguy-Tim wrote:here's a tip for ya:

Don't eat the yellow snow!!!!!

Why? What's wrong with it?
    debborah1
    Commander

by debborah1 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:38 pm

My second job relies on tip's!! therefore....I am an excellent tipper :o)
    2011 MAIDEN VOYAGE SURVIVOR!
    2012 cabin #7538.....2nd time survivor!!
    \m/ >.< \m/
    2014.....3RD TIME SURVIVOR
    2015.....BOOKED
    bangers
    Chief Petty Officer

by bangers » Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:53 am

Yeh fuck tipping it's shit. In Australia we don't tip nor expect people to tip. Anyone who expects a tip is a greedy little snake.
    Winging it in the west (Western Australia that is)
    Room 3612
    Black Metal - The best metal - Emperor FOREVER
    Disaster Area
    Lieutenant
    Location: Bakersfield<California<USA<North America<Western Hemisphere<Earth

by Disaster Area » Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:58 am

bangers wrote:Yeh fuck tipping it's shit. In Australia we don't tip nor expect people to tip. Anyone who expects a tip is a greedy little snake.

It's all cultural man, here (U.S.) waiters, bartenders and such get paid less than minimum wage in a lot of cases so they depend on tips as part of their income. I always research the local customs on tipping before traveling. Some people choose to dig up rocks, some choose to serve food and booze, it's all just about trying to make a living right? :cheers:
    Disaster Area: a plutonium rock band from the Gagrakacka Mind Zones, are generally held to be not only the loudest rock band in the history of the Galaxy, but the loudest noise of any kind at all.

11,12,14,15,16, noshow 2017
    Memnoch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Memnoch » Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:15 pm

But wouldn't it be easier to just include a decent salary for waitresses etc. in the prices? And then, if you do a good or excellent job you get a little extra in the form of tip.
    Wishlist:
    GIRLIE METAL / OLD SCHOOL DEATH METAL / DOOM METAL
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:18 pm

Memnoch wrote:But wouldn't it be easier to just include a decent salary for waitresses etc. in the prices? And then, if you do a good or excellent job you get a little extra in the form of tip.

Unfortunately, that's not the system we have here. The restaurant/bar industry would never change it either because as it currently stands, they don't have to pay as much for their employees, adding more money for profit and whathaveyou. Increasing salaries to a livable wage would cut into their bottom line, and that just can't happen (though I'm not sure how much of an affect it would truly have, since I believe all operating costs including salaries are tax deductable, but I'm not an economist so i have no idea).
    bangers
    Chief Petty Officer

by bangers » Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:54 pm

Yeh I meant that anyone in who expects a tip in Australia is a greedy snake.
    Room 3612
    bangers
    Chief Petty Officer

by bangers » Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:58 pm

When peoples livelihood depend on it, it's a different story. Either way it's a shit system and they should pay their employees properly.
    Room 3612
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:58 pm

At a restaurant in Munich the server was trying to score extra money off of us gullible American tourists by asking after we paid "What, no tip?" I promptly pointed to the gratuity included on the bill and told him to fuck off.
    Dutchguy-Tim
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Dutchguy-Tim » Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:22 pm

now a more serious reply:
    I think you should earn your tip, not expect it.
    last time I want to a restaurant, and for a couple of times i had to ask for my drinks and when she brought it, it was the wrong drink.
    great way to loose your tip
    Hornblowing survivor of 70.000 tons of metal January 2011 / 2012 / 2015
    counting down to 70.000 tons of metal 2018

what the hell did you do this winter?
    Disaster Area
    Lieutenant
    Location: Bakersfield<California<USA<North America<Western Hemisphere<Earth

by Disaster Area » Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:28 pm

Dutchguy-Tim wrote:now a more serious reply:
    I think you should earn your tip, not expect it.
    last time I want to a restaurant, and for a couple of times i had to ask for my drinks and when she brought it, it was the wrong drink.
    great way to loose your tip

100% agree

(and who knew the Dutch could be serious?)
    Disaster Area: a plutonium rock band from the Gagrakacka Mind Zones, are generally held to be not only the loudest rock band in the history of the Galaxy, but the loudest noise of any kind at all.

11,12,14,15,16, noshow 2017
    TOM CRUISE
    Lieutenant-Commander

by TOM CRUISE » Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:52 pm

I will tip someone alright, right overboard. Metalwrath- Try norwegian prices. I was on a carnival cruise where a six pack of shite beer was 34 dollars (Including tip) I said "Do I bend over now or later" I imagine now its 7 or 8 bucks a pop. Bastards
    70K- 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018, 2019 Cabin-6218- Barge to hell -2012
    sheila
    Chief Petty Officer

by sheila » Sat Dec 25, 2010 4:47 pm

The only time we ever tipped on any of the cruises we went on was for room service or if someone went out of their way to do something for us... Special bday or something... Otherwise this trip includes the tipping in the price of your tickets.... :death:
    #4047 in spirit...:(
    #2063 2nd 70k
    Barge to hell ... Ummm gotta look that # up . Was a blurr!
    2035...for 2014!!!
    2015.. AND our metal wedding!
    Booked 2016!
    Mrs. Steeves❤️
Locked 62 posts