Post Reply 644 posts
Black Metal
  • Laura
    Commander

Re: Black Metal

by Laura » Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:52 pm

mooyagi wrote:A couple funny pics in this article. :lol: http://www.angrymetalguy.com/steel-druhm-reflects-on-whats-wrong-with-black-metal/

Can't say I agree with the content, though. Curious what other people think. I don't feel like black metal has stagnated at all. Yes, the "old guard" is still around doing what they do but there are plenty of fresh ideas in it as well coming from all over the world.

I briefly read this article yesterday and probably should read it again before posting...but in general, I disaggree - as I said in the fave metal genre(s) thread, black metal is my numero uno viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2015 - for me, it is the most interesting and intriguing of the lot (and most "id-like" in many cases which I really love); in other words Black Metal (as an overall classification) resonates with me the most. Of the bands I really love that have been labeled or at least part labeled as "black metal" from Agalloch to 1349 to Kvelertak to Enslaved to Ulver to Immortal to Dimmu Borgir (old & new of all), I experience a great deal of variety and I've never felt "bored" or thought that the genre has stagnated. And being exposed to and a fan of this genre for a relatively short time (about 4.5 years
    only? :shock: - seems like I've "heard" it my entire life somehow) - I feel there is so much more to discover!! :death:
    :beerhorns:
    2009-Wacken-2010-Wacken-2011-70K-Lollapalooza-HoleInTheSky-2012-70K-ColdWaves-2013-Lollapalooza-ColdWaves-2014-ProgNationAtSea-Pitchfork-RiotFest-ColdWaves-2015-RockLegendsCruise-CruiseToTheEdge-2016-ChicagoOpenAir-2017-70K!!
    soundcurve
    Chief Petty Officer

by soundcurve » Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:30 pm

Laura wrote:
    mooyagi wrote:A couple funny pics in this article. :lol: http://www.angrymetalguy.com/steel-druhm-reflects-on-whats-wrong-with-black-metal/

Can't say I agree with the content, though. Curious what other people think. I don't feel like black metal has stagnated at all. Yes, the "old guard" is still around doing what they do but there are plenty of fresh ideas in it as well coming from all over the world.

I briefly read this article yesterday and probably should read it again before posting...but in general, I disaggree - as I said in the fave metal genre(s) thread, black metal is my numero uno viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2015 - for me, it is the most interesting and intriguing of the lot (and most "id-like" in many cases which I really love); in other words Black Metal (as an overall classification) resonates with me the most. Of the bands I really love that have been labeled or at least part labeled as "black metal" from Agalloch to 1349 to Kvelertak to Enslaved to Ulver to Immortal to Dimmu Borgir (old & new of all), I experience a great deal of variety and I've never felt "bored" or thought that the genre has stagnated. And being exposed to and a fan of this genre for a relatively short time (about 4.5 years
    only? :shock: - seems like I've "heard" it my entire life somehow) - I feel there is so much more to discover!! :death:

Yea, I think a lot of the forumers are agreeing on this. I did a wall O' text but in short I think the guy is just jaded doing a piss ton of reviews and needs a breather from the genre and there is nothing wrong with that.
    soundcurve
    Chief Petty Officer

by soundcurve » Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:53 pm

Laura wrote:They have a lot of music - here are a few songs that I like a lot (I like the dirge-like quality of some especially):
    Astral Bewitchment: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YWawCK1L7w

Funeral Chant: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GO_ySFDAqE

Primordial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2boAsAQ- ... re=related

Hmm . . . I tried listening to them at work and now several times and it isn't capturing me. I mean TEHO but they sounds a bit too amateurish to me (sry!). I am not trying to insult but I think Inquisition is going to blow them outta the water :) I listened to "Tolling 13 Knell" twice and just didn't snag me and not to be a cocky douche but I could mixed it better. :oops: I know I posted about em before, but I think Weapon and Nifelheim (whom you dig) do this vibe more justice. I mean, cool they are from Italy but no offense to Italy, can't see a lot of grim frost bitterness coming outta there when it is normally hot as hell :D

I know you are inundated with stuff to jam to but trust me(?), if you dig these guys and the rawness they are aiming for "Drakonian Paradigm" from Weapon might be something that will really grow on ya. And it goes without saying to prep for the gig scope the newest Inquisition as it is really, really good. I ended up nerding it up and buying the Special LP in all its glory.

• Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:15 am

^^^ now, THAT is a cool package o stuff! :cool: Matt (nekrobarr) and Ryan (Bentz!) and I had a funny conversation when we were at Kuma's about collectible stuff - e.g. Matt said he bought TWO of the Amon Amarth Surtur Rising sets (complete with action figure! :P ), because he wanted to keep one unopened. ;) I actually think that kind of thing is REALLY cool, it has just never been something I've gotten into buying. In fact, in the past few years I've sold or given away a good portion of my possessions including my entire LP collection, roughly half of my CDs (buy only digital now) and about 75% of my books. I guess I've lost attachment to many physical things. Having said that, some of those collectible things are sweet (Mortuary Drape has some cool stuff on their site). And speaking of MD, no need to say sry! ;) - teho. I agree that sunny, beautiful Italy does not seem like a hot-bed of black metal! Interesting that my Italian friend said that he saw MD opened for Coroner in Europe. He didn't say where - I know he travels around a lot for music so it may have been outside of his home city of Milan. It will be interesting to see both MD and Inquisition on the same bill indeed! Really looking forward to seeing Inquisition as well (will buy their new one shortly). If I don't see Dir en Grey on Dec. 18th (and I may pass because I've seen them a few times fairly recently), the MD/Inquisition show will be my last of 2011 - great way to end the year I think!

I did read your comments about the article - liked 'em. I could never be a reviewer of music, movies, or the like due to the constant barrage of the new. I've found I like to take things like new music in small doses. This thread (and all who contribute) is a great resource, but it will take me awhile to check all the links/bands out. ;)
    2009-Wacken-2010-Wacken-2011-70K-Lollapalooza-HoleInTheSky-2012-70K-ColdWaves-2013-Lollapalooza-ColdWaves-2014-ProgNationAtSea-Pitchfork-RiotFest-ColdWaves-2015-RockLegendsCruise-CruiseToTheEdge-2016-ChicagoOpenAir-2017-70K!!
  • Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:59 am

Weird - I just went to the Mortuary Drape myspace page http://www.myspace.com/mortuarydrape and clicked on the first link to Intro Mantra (which is really cool! - reminds me of some "new age/soundscape" kind of stuff used to listen to quite a bit) - and in the pop-up mp3 player window the Dir en Grey song Kyoukotsu no Nari also comes up :cool: (I don't remember ever hearing or playing that song) - I just mentioned Dir en Grey in my previous post - does anyone else get that display?
    Ravenlord
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Ravenlord » Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:04 am

The latest Myspace player remembers previous tracks that you've played. So perhaps that was the last song you played via Myspace?

1914-/-Alkaloid-/-Annihilator-/-Be'lakor-/-Cage-/-Civil War-/-Deus mortem-/-Eternity's End-/-Falkenbach-/-Fejd-/-Ghoul-/-Glyph-/-Grai-/-Grimner-/-Hellripper-/-Helloween-/-Igorrr-/-Iron Griffin-/-Jack Starr's Burning Starr-/-Kanonenfieber-/-Krux-/-Lör-/-Madder mortem-/-Mephorash-/-Metalian-/-Narzissus-/-Nocturnal Rites-/-Old Season-/-Paladin-/-Qantice-/-Riot V-/-Riot City-/-Sulphur Aeon-/-Stormkeep-/-Tad morose-/-Tankard-/-Tower-/-Ungfell-/-Vhaldemar-/-Walg-/-XIV Dark Centuries-/-Yoth iria
  • Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:10 am

Ravenlord wrote:The latest Myspace player remembers previous tracks that you've played. So perhaps that was the last song you played via Myspace?

Well, if I did I don't remember it - lol - but that must be it - and yet that is the only song that comes up, and I know I've listened to other myspace songs - oh well, whatever, I'll take it as an omen that I need to go to that December 18th Dir en Grey show after all. :cool:
    Ravenlord
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Ravenlord » Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:16 am

Of course. Take every opportunity you can! You are a fan of their music after all.

1914-/-Alkaloid-/-Annihilator-/-Be'lakor-/-Cage-/-Civil War-/-Deus mortem-/-Eternity's End-/-Falkenbach-/-Fejd-/-Ghoul-/-Glyph-/-Grai-/-Grimner-/-Hellripper-/-Helloween-/-Igorrr-/-Iron Griffin-/-Jack Starr's Burning Starr-/-Kanonenfieber-/-Krux-/-Lör-/-Madder mortem-/-Mephorash-/-Metalian-/-Narzissus-/-Nocturnal Rites-/-Old Season-/-Paladin-/-Qantice-/-Riot V-/-Riot City-/-Sulphur Aeon-/-Stormkeep-/-Tad morose-/-Tankard-/-Tower-/-Ungfell-/-Vhaldemar-/-Walg-/-XIV Dark Centuries-/-Yoth iria
  • Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:18 am

one last thing about Mortuary Drape - apparently the main guy, WIldness Perversion, is big into the occult (which I also have interest in) - here is a cool symbol (I also love symbols of all kinds) from their website and if anyone cares to read about it - a very long description of it. http://www.mortuary13drape.com/Symbol.aspx
  • Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:19 am

Ravenlord wrote:Of course. Take every opportunity you can! You are a fan of their music after all.

indeed - :headbanger: - Love them (Kyo is from some other world I think :shock: :cool:), but since I did see them a few times fairly recently and December is always so busy with the holidays and all...that will be a wait a bit and see decision. ;)
  • KevinP
    Commander

by KevinP » Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:07 pm

If MetaphysicalSatanism is your "thang", then check out Deathspell Omega from France. Little is known about the band and they don't do press, play live, etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDnwd9GL ... r_embedded
    WISHLIST

BOLT THROWER / MADDER MORTEM / SEAR BLISS / AEON / THE AMENTA / AUTOPSY / MDB / THE 11th HOUR / HAIL OF BULLETS / DORDEDUH / TRIPTYKON / NE OBLIVISCARIS / PORTAL

The Sultan of Stroopwafels
    The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
    soundcurve
    Chief Petty Officer

by soundcurve » Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:04 pm

KevinP wrote:If MetaphysicalSatanism is your "thang", then check out Deathspell Omega from France. Little is known about the band and they don't do press, play live, etc.

Yea, I'll pass. France has some crazy ass black metal but this just sounds like a train piling through a endless supply of oil drums / pots and pans. :wank: I tried getting into them and it never clicked. Cool some folk like em but they have the vibe that brings the thought "Do people just listen to this to shock and awe others?!". Would be a horrible show to attend if they played live for me. It is definitely big with the internet metal nerds (IMN) and I am sure if they read this I'd get a 18 page reply how I am not open to em' etc. Them Blut As Nord, etc. Go with it IMN, TEHO! :cheers:
    soundcurve
    Chief Petty Officer

by soundcurve » Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:07 pm

Laura wrote:one last thing about Mortuary Drape - apparently the main guy, WIldness Perversion, is big into the occult (which I also have interest in) - here is a cool symbol (I also love symbols of all kinds) from their website and if anyone cares to read about it - a very long description of it. http://www.mortuary13drape.com/Symbol.aspx

I like the happy circling sperm in the upper right corner :P :lol:
    soundcurve
    Chief Petty Officer

by soundcurve » Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:25 pm

Laura wrote:^^^ now, THAT is a cool package o stuff! :cool: Matt (nekrobarr) and Ryan (Bentz!) and I had a funny conversation when we were at Kuma's about collectible stuff - e.g. Matt said he bought TWO of the Amon Amarth Surtur Rising sets (complete with action figure! :P ), because he wanted to keep one unopened. ;) I actually think that kind of thing is REALLY cool, it has just never been something I've gotten into buying. In fact, in the past few years I've sold or given away a good portion of my possessions including my entire LP collection, roughly half of my CDs (buy only digital now) and about 75% of my books. I guess I've lost attachment to many physical things. Having said that, some of those collectible things are sweet (Mortuary Drape has some cool stuff on their site). And speaking of MD, no need to say sry! ;) - teho. I agree that sunny, beautiful Italy does not seem like a hot-bed of black metal! Interesting that my Italian friend said that he saw MD opened for Coroner in Europe. He didn't say where - I know he travels around a lot for music so it may have been outside of his home city of Milan. It will be interesting to see both MD and Inquisition on the same bill indeed! Really looking forward to seeing Inquisition as well (will buy their new one shortly). If I don't see Dir en Grey on Dec. 18th (and I may pass because I've seen them a few times fairly recently), the MD/Inquisition show will be my last of 2011 - great way to end the year I think!

I did read your comments about the article - liked 'em. I could never be a reviewer of music, movies, or the like due to the constant barrage of the new. I've found I like to take things like new music in small doses. This thread (and all who contribute) is a great resource, but it will take me awhile to check all the links/bands out. ;)

Yea, you are taking the logical approach to music but I still like using more senses than just my ears when I experience music. I love owning the art (where LPs come in for me), hanging it on my walls, smelling the packaging :lol: . I dig digital for bands that I just like a few tracks. Plus, I rip all my CDs in the highest quality format so get the digital convenience.

I won't argue that vinyl has better sound quality (it does but it is insane $$$ to reproduce it as the Quality / Consistency digital / CDs give outweigh it) but the art also gets me. I remember loving to look through my mom's LPs and just blown away of how large everything was. The art, the media the music was on. It matched the size of the music haha :lol: Well that'd be larger but!! House of the holy was burned into my mind cause I thought the packaging and images were cool.

I don't know. It felt special. You were committing to listen to music when you put a record on. Not just next, next, next on the ipod. I grew up (well teen years) during the tape to CD transition but even then loved going into records stores and looking at LPs and seeing the art in full glory. My first LP I bought cause the art was so wild and demonic. Had to have it and it was a wise choice! :deathhorns:

• Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:23 pm

^^^ like this post....and believe me when I say I totally understand where you are coming from - in particular when it comes to the LP - for example, I had that Houses of the Holy album. (I reckon your mom and I are in a similar age bracket) ;) Anyway...I could wax poetic about my LP collection - I got a tremendous amount of enjoyment from it (including the size of the albums, the artwork, etc.) no doubt - but it had been so many years since we even owned a turntable, they were stored somewhat out of reach, plus some were pretty beat up from party, moving and general wear and tear. So, one day I was walking by this place in my neighborhood http://www.reckless.com/ and I saw a lot of really young people pawing through the used LP bins...and I thought, I bet some people could get some enjoyment out of my collection and I ended up taking every last one there (I did keep a list just for memory's sake). And sure enough, within the following week, I went back in and I casually spotted some of my albums in the various bins. And I like to imagine that people are enjoying them as I did - even if it's just for the cool "classic rock," et al 70s/early 80s album art. ;) Regarding CDs, I never got attached to them in any way because imo they never held a candle to the LP, especially in terms of the physical. I'm not sure exactly why in recent years I've given away so many of my material possessions - not that I ever had that many to begin with quite honestly (was never much of a collector type) - but for some reason it feels good to have lightened my load.
  • Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:42 pm

SlaytanicE21 wrote:Also, this from bravewords.com:

EINHERJER and CHURCH OF MISERY have been confirmed for the 2012 edition of Inferno Festival being held April 4th – 7th in Oslo, Norway.

Confirmed acts include: AGALLOCH, ANAAL NATHRAKH, ARCTURUS, BORKNAGAR, CHURCH OF MISERY, EINHERJER and WITCHERY.

More bands will be announced soon.

The tickets for Inferno 2012 are now available for purchase both in Norway and abroad. Tickets for Norwegian residence can be purchased through Billettservice while other countries can purchase using PayPal. If you buy using PayPal the tickets will be shipped to you by regular postal services.

The festival is 18 years of age and up. Some club day venues have a 20 year age limit.

For more information and ticket details visit Infernofestival.net.

I'd love to go to Inferno some year - it seems every Scandinavian I met at Hole in the Sky said they go there every year. I really enjoyed Oslo when I was there in 2010, so would like to go back some day - GREAT museum town, for one, and the new Opera House is especially cool. Inferno 2014 or 2015 perhaps? (I like to think ahead ;) )
    Bentz!
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Bentz! » Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:50 am

SlaytanicE21 wrote:You guys may be happy to know that Inquisition has replaced Belphegor on the upcoming Dark Funeral U.S. Tour.
    I, for one, am :cry:

Awww, there, there.... :P

Anyway, I'm glad, as I think it's a win win situation. Inquisition gets to do a full US tour, and Belphegor gets to do the tour with Over Kill!
  • Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:28 am

SlaytanicE21 wrote:I may have posted this here before, but am I the only one who thinks DARK FORTRESS is the most underrated band in the fucking world? I know Audrey is with me, but does anyone else here like 'em? If they were on the boat, give me them, Cannibal, and MDB, and you guys could fill it with all the goofy power metal ya want. :beerwink: I want two Dark Fortress sets dammit!!!!! Ylem was the album of the decade, in my opinion. The whole album is phenomenal. It's greater than everything Dimmu Borgir has ever done... ever. These are just SOME of the songs:

Ylem: http://youtu.be/dNloyxCofts

As The World Keels Over: http://youtu.be/pvbn83OnFfE

Evenfall: http://youtu.be/b2lPb-Bzi70

Satan Bled: http://youtu.be/0xK7Bvc1JJw :shred: at 2:42 :bmhorns:

Silence: http://youtu.be/AG6N-h7AKs4

The Valley: http://youtu.be/lVJVdUbyY8g

Wraith: http://youtu.be/dNloyxCofts Probably one of my favorite songs ever. :beerhorns:

How did I not know about THIS band, Erik? :shock: :cool: I think I might have heard the name before somewhere, but don't remember them being mentioned on this thread - thanks! Yet another example of why I suspect black metal as a genre will keep me interested and busy for many years to come. ;)

Coincidentally, I was just trying to find a complete list of Inquisition tour dates - here's a partial list at least (includes that Mortuary Drape headline gig I'm going to) - something in it for everyone I think ;) - like Taake for Mike and Dark Fortress for you Erik! (too bad the show is in Germany :evil: )

FRIDAY 28 OCTOBER 2011
    Taake
    with Inquisition, Dark Fortress, and Donn
    Hellraiser-leipzig
    Leipzig, Germany

FRIDAY 02 DECEMBER 2011
    Inquisition
    with Mortuary Drape and Negative Plane
    The Studio at Webster Hall
    New York, NY, US

TUESDAY 13 DECEMBER 2011
    Mortuary Drape
    with Inquisition
    Reggie's Rock Club
    Chicago, IL, US

TUESDAY 31 JANUARY 2012
    Dark Funeral
    with Abigail Williams, Inquisition, and Gigan
    Trocadero Theatre
    Philadelphia, PA, US
  • Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:51 am

soundcurve wrote:Image

As I mentioned in another post - I owned this album Houses of the Holy (now just have it digital), and it has always been one of favorites. Oddly, the song Houses of the Holy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSd3yys69AE only appeared on Physical Graffiti - another fave LP that I once owned - now THAT was cool album packaging with the cut out windows and all. And since this is the Black Metal thread where Satan and Satanism :P :twisted: comes up from time to time - thought I'd post a few lines from the Houses of the Holy song - I like:

From the houses of the holy, we can watch the white doves go
    From the door comes Satan's daughter, and it only goes to show. You know.

So the world is spinning faster. Are you dizzy when you're stoned?
    Let the music be your master. Will you heed the master's call
    Oh... Satan and man.

Led Zeppelin: Physical Graffiti

• Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:43 am

KevinP wrote:If MetaphysicalSatanism is your "thang", then check out Deathspell Omega from France. Little is known about the band and they don't do press, play live, etc.

I like this actually - listened to the whole thing (and it's long!) all the way through twice....sure, it's a bit of a cacophony (reminds me a bit of some Archgoat songs which I like a lot), but there are some slow parts that break it up - so on the whole I think it is definitely interesting and has merit. Didn't know the term metaphysical satanism before.....hmmmmm.

And while on the topic of somewhat unusual music (what some people may not even consider "music" I suppose)....I need to pimp Wardruna again - a project of Kvitrafn, GAAHL and others. This is some of THE greatest stuff I've heard in recent years. There's a guy that I know from Hole in the Sky and facebook (actually never met him at HITS but we have some mutual friends from there), named Dave from Ireland who will be on the 2012 cruise. Anyway, he's a Wardruna fan and has seen them twice! :cool:

http://www.wardruna.com/
    Wardruna: Kauna http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOabYzPuErI

mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:48 am

SlaytanicE21 wrote:I may have posted this here before, but am I the only one who thinks DARK FORTRESS is the most underrated band in the fucking world? I know Audrey is with me, but does anyone else here like 'em? If they were on the boat, give me them, Cannibal, and MDB, and you guys could fill it with all the goofy power metal ya want. :beerwink: I want two Dark Fortress sets dammit!!!!! Ylem was the album of the decade, in my opinion. The whole album is phenomenal. It's greater than everything Dimmu Borgir has ever done... ever. These are just SOME of the songs:

Ylem: http://youtu.be/dNloyxCofts

As The World Keels Over: http://youtu.be/pvbn83OnFfE

Evenfall: http://youtu.be/b2lPb-Bzi70

Satan Bled: http://youtu.be/0xK7Bvc1JJw :shred: at 2:42 :bmhorns:

Silence: http://youtu.be/AG6N-h7AKs4

The Valley: http://youtu.be/lVJVdUbyY8g

Wraith: http://youtu.be/dNloyxCofts Probably one of my favorite songs ever. :beerhorns:

Dark Fortress is fucking awesome! I really like the song Warlord: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qvOMj3wBJk
    I should get around to updating my signature
  • KevinP
    Commander

by KevinP » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:53 am

soundcurve wrote:

Yea, I'll pass. France has some crazy ass black metal but this just sounds like a train piling through a endless supply of oil drums / pots and pans. :wank: I tried getting into them and it never clicked. Cool some folk like em but they have the vibe that brings the thought "Do people just listen to this to shock and awe others?!". Would be a horrible show to attend if they played live for me. It is definitely big with the internet metal nerds (IMN) and I am sure if they read this I'd get a 18 page reply how I am not open to em' etc. Them Blut As Nord, etc. Go with it IMN, TEHO! :cheers:

:lol: add Sear Bliss and Negura Bunget too. If I lsiten to BM these are the type of bands I prefer because it's "out there" and "different", it's a completely different "vibe" on the whole genre.

All the "typical" black metal bands TO ME just sound like 4th rate death metal bands with shitty production ad no sense of songwriting (I detest the "dirge" quality of Archgoat, etc.). Plus it just isn't heavy enough for my ears. The bands that do stuff differently, I'm not worried about having a thick bottom end to it, since there is so much other stuff going on to enjoy.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
    WISHLIST

BOLT THROWER / MADDER MORTEM / SEAR BLISS / AEON / THE AMENTA / AUTOPSY / MDB / THE 11th HOUR / HAIL OF BULLETS / DORDEDUH / TRIPTYKON / NE OBLIVISCARIS / PORTAL

The Sultan of Stroopwafels
    The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
    soundcurve
    Chief Petty Officer

by soundcurve » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:12 am

KevinP wrote: :lol: add Sear Bliss and Negura Bunget too. If I lsiten to BM these are the type of bands I prefer because it's "out there" and "different", it's a completely different "vibe" on the whole genre.

All the "typical" black metal bands TO ME just sound like 4th rate death metal bands with shitty production ad no sense of songwriting (I detest the "dirge" quality of Archgoat, etc.). Plus it just isn't heavy enough for my ears. The bands that do stuff differently, I'm not worried about having a thick bottom end to it, since there is so much other stuff going on to enjoy.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I won't argue black metal to you as I believe you made your case previous though I'd say sear bliss and Negura Bunget are nothing like deathspell and find them enjoyable. Deathspell to me has more in common with stuff like Portal. No doubt it is "out there" but I like listening to music cause it nurtures a feeling that is already there. Deathspell/portal/etc. just don't do it for me and with so much music out there I move on. Noise for the sake of it can be art to some but isn't really music to me. It also comes back to the songs and not the genre and would say there are many well written "black metal" songs. As for some good song writing, a band we both like writing a epic chorus:

The Devil's Blood - On The Wings Of Gloria http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePSuqHa8x_E

Now this is a album I am really looking forward to!
    soundcurve
    Chief Petty Officer

by soundcurve » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:15 am

SlaytanicE21 wrote:
    soundcurve wrote:Image

You guys may be happy to know that Inquisition has replaced Belphegor on the upcoming Dark Funeral U.S. Tour.
    I, for one, am :cry:

Awesome! though I do like both bands.
    soundcurve
    Chief Petty Officer

by soundcurve » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:50 am

Laura wrote:From the houses of the holy, we can watch the white doves go
    From the door comes Satan's daughter, and it only goes to show. You know.

So the world is spinning faster. Are you dizzy when you're stoned?
    Let the music be your master. Will you heed the master's call
    Oh... Satan and man.Image

Now that is a cool record. I read all the lyrics to house of the holy (I am not a huge Led Zep fan but loved the LP art/pics). The lyrics could have a deeper reference or just be a stoned dude writing some lyrics that work hehe. Either way sounds like a song about sex, drugs, and . . . .rock and roll :lol: The cool thing is it is open to interpretation which is a good way to write. My take would be it is about a person meeting a more religious conservative mate and persuading them to relax and have a good time. Mainly drawn that from[i]Does it hurt to hear them lying? Was this the only world you had?

Everything else just seems like good time lyrics with some open interpretation to the pronunciation. Satan used more as to stir stuff up and sowing of seed either being referenced to sex or the seed of independent thought to a religious mind.

Either way, I offer ye satan's daughter! :lol:

BTW, unless you are in your early 60s I would chalk it up to my mom just always being big into music. Even nowadays I am able to get her into some metal (Mainly the stuff where people sing, no black metal for mom haha)
  • Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:26 pm

Hmmmm....who knows what Robert Plant was thinking when he wrote those lyrics in his early 20s - I believe he was stoned a lot back then. :smoking: ;) the weird thing is, as many times as I've heard that song, I never really thought about the fact that the word Satan is in there - the stand out line for me was always "are you dizzy when you're stoned?" - always kinda cracked me up. :lol:

So, if your mom is in her early 60s, she "came of age" so to speak in the 1960s, and I did in the 70s...not too different era and mind-set-wise in some ways probably...and Zeppelin formed in 1968 so she would have been quite young then. ;)

But I digress once again...back to thread topic and yet on a related note - it thrilled me NO END when Enslaved did Zep's Immigrant Song as an encore when I saw them a few weeks ago. EPIC moment!!! :D :D :D
    soundcurve
    Chief Petty Officer

by soundcurve » Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:52 pm

Laura wrote:But I digress once again...back to thread topic and yet on a related note - it thrilled me NO END when Enslaved did Zep's Immigrant Song as an encore when I saw them a few weeks ago. EPIC moment!!! :D :D :D

What did you think of Junius? I ended up buying their CD at the show. I did enjoy these songs a lot:
    Betray The Grave https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k73VRUX ... re=related
    Elisheva, I love you https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6p4gf1ZQ2xQ

Not sure I am going to get super into them but they were enjoyable. The vocals remind me a bit of Deftones and a lot of other "shoegazer"-types.

Enslaved was great but by the time they came on I was kinda beat from listening to two really mellow bands so wanted pummeling stuff and they played a lot of mid-tempo jams. Still a great show.
  • Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:36 pm

soundcurve wrote:
    Laura wrote:But I digress once again...back to thread topic and yet on a related note - it thrilled me NO END when Enslaved did Zep's Immigrant Song as an encore when I saw them a few weeks ago. EPIC moment!!! :D :D :D

What did you think of Junius? I ended up buying their CD at the show. I did enjoy these songs a lot:
    Betray The Grave https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k73VRUX ... re=related
    Elisheva, I love you https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6p4gf1ZQ2xQ

Not sure I am going to get super into them but they were enjoyable. The vocals remind me a bit of Deftones and a lot of other "shoegazer"-types.

Enslaved was great but by the time they came on I was kinda beat from listening to two really mellow bands so wanted pummeling stuff and they played a lot of mid-tempo jams. Still a great show.

Didn't see Junius sadly (because those links are nice - especially the second one - didn't know of them before now). I'm assuming they came on before Alcest for the Chicago gig too. For some strange reason that Chicago leg show was scheduled really early (which made no sense cause I don't think it was an "all-ages" show) from around 6:00 to 10:00 pm. The big draws for me were Alcest & Enslaved (and Ghost before they cancelled :cry: ). I worked that Sunday, and by the time I got home, had dinner, and rushed to the venue (luckily fairly close to where I live), it was around 7:30 pm and Alcest were just about starting. Really liked Alcest btw - don't own any of their albums, but a local metal friend of mine had sent me a bunch of links beforehand. Really loved Enslaved - third time seeing them and I was right up in front for the second half - I posted some pix on the gig thread soon after probably on Oct 3rd or so. That was quite a week between that show AND Danzig....kinda like next week with Kvelertak & Opeth a few days apart. :D
  • Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:29 am

Finally got around to listening to some Blut aus Nord....first one I clicked on youtube (like the album cover expecially ;) ) - I realize some of their music is quite different than this from reading descriptions - but, at the very least - I do like this very much...quite hypnotic. :smoking:

Procession of the Dead Clowns http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKsYnHPX6Ns from:

soundcurve
    Chief Petty Officer

by soundcurve » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:13 am

Laura wrote:Finally got around to listening to some Blut aus Nord....first one I clicked on youtube (like the album cover expecially ;) ) - I realize some of their music is quite different than this from reading descriptions - but, at the very least - I do like this very much...quite hypnotic. :smoking:

Procession of the Dead Clowns http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKsYnHPX6Ns

Sounds like something godflesh or scorn would put together. Scorn - Heavy Blood http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KonAc7J ... re=related though I know Blut does more then the drone /trance vibe. Glad you dig em' , not for me. Everyone I've talked to into them said that's the best album (the one you linked)

On another note since you mentioned the cover art and I believe you dig a lot of painted art. I watched a really cool series on my weekend getaway down the beach.

Simon Schama's the Power of Art: http://www.bbc.co.uk/arts/powerofart/

My faves were caravaggio, bernini, gohg, and picasso. Very entertaining watch as it isn't just showing you the art and telling you why it is cool but removes it from the museums setting and tells the story behind it. Rothko was interesting but once you paint that abstract so many times I find myself wanting precision again. Anywho, he'd seem fitting art to the song you linked since his painting were huge and you could zone out in them.

As for me, I'll take this! :D

mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:15 pm

Looks like Dimmu Borgir is taking a page out of Amon Amarth's book and doing "An Evening with Dimmu Borgir" on their UK tour. Two sets, no openers. First set will be the masterpiece Enthrone Darkness Triumphant and the second will be a standard Dimmu set. Wonder if they will take this idea to the States at some point. I'd actually go see them if EDT is being played in its entirety. It's a great album.
  • Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:56 am

soundcurve wrote:
    Laura wrote:Finally got around to listening to some Blut aus Nord....first one I clicked on youtube (like the album cover expecially ;) ) - I realize some of their music is quite different than this from reading descriptions - but, at the very least - I do like this very much...quite hypnotic. :smoking:

Procession of the Dead Clowns http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKsYnHPX6Ns

Sounds like something godflesh or scorn would put together. Scorn - Heavy Blood http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KonAc7J ... re=related though I know Blut does more then the drone /trance vibe. Glad you dig em' , not for me. Everyone I've talked to into them said that's the best album (the one you linked)

On another note since you mentioned the cover art and I believe you dig a lot of painted art. I watched a really cool series on my weekend getaway down the beach.

Simon Schama's the Power of Art: http://www.bbc.co.uk/arts/powerofart/

My faves were caravaggio, bernini, gohg, and picasso. Very entertaining watch as it isn't just showing you the art and telling you why it is cool but removes it from the museums setting and tells the story behind it. Rothko was interesting but once you paint that abstract so many times I find myself wanting precision again. Anywho, he'd seem fitting art to the song you linked since his painting were huge and you could zone out in them.

Glad you enjoyed the Simon Schama series! I've seen some of the episodes but not all. The BBC has done a lot of great arts related programming over the years. If there is a topic I am as interested in, if not more interested in - than music - it is the history of art (and architecture)....from early childhood on when I parents took me to art museums (which I do now with my own girls), to studying it in college, to working in an arts library now for over 20 years. In short, I love everything about it! While I enjoy going to museums very much - I do also enjoy hearing lectures about art by noted historians and curators, seeing shows like the Schama series, reading about it, and best yet, to hear living artists themselves discuss their work. I have always liked Rothko very much btw - and there is definitely somewhat of a music "equivalent' to his work...sad he had a tragic end committing suicide and all. And Caravaggio of course is fantastic. :D If you and your wife come to Chicago, you must go to the Art Institute of Chicago and also the library where I work. ;)

Scorn is cool - I have listened to a great deal of ambient, dub, and electronica kinda stuff - I've linked to this before elsewhere, but I listened to "Musical Starstreams" long before the internet when it was just a radio program - now - http://www.starstreams.com/index.php :cool: Stuff like your Scorn link is somewhat heavier than much of what is on starstreams (and certainly Godflesh is - one of my favorites!) - but I like a wide range of so-called electronic music. (ha - ever since hearing Kraftwerk :cool: back in the 70s)
    Last edited by Laura on Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
  • Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:11 am

mooyagi wrote:Looks like Dimmu Borgir is taking a page out of Amon Amarth's book and doing "An Evening with Dimmu Borgir" on their UK tour. Two sets, no openers. First set will be the masterpiece Enthrone Darkness Triumphant and the second will be a standard Dimmu set. Wonder if they will take this idea to the States at some point. I'd actually go see them if EDT is being played in its entirety. It's a great album.

This sound great! I bet they bring this type of tour to the US eventually.
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:47 am

mooyagi wrote:Looks like Dimmu Borgir is taking a page out of Amon Amarth's book and doing "An Evening with Dimmu Borgir" on their UK tour. Two sets, no openers. First set will be the masterpiece Enthrone Darkness Triumphant and the second will be a standard Dimmu set. Wonder if they will take this idea to the States at some point. I'd actually go see them if EDT is being played in its entirety. It's a great album.

In their defence, Amon Amarth wasn't the first band to do that ;)
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band
    www.facebook.com/Apprenticemetal

I run a festival
    https://www.facebook.com/events/2854966994515383
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:53 am

Stained Class wrote:

Were they at least the first to use the "An Evening with _____" name?
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:44 am

mooyagi wrote:
    Stained Class wrote:

Were they at least the first to use the "An Evening with _____" name?

Nope, that's a thing that's been going on for a while. Long before that I saw "An Evening With Great Big Sea" and it was the same giddy, 2 1.5 hour sets. I think it's a traditional name for a show of that format.
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band
    www.facebook.com/Apprenticemetal

I run a festival
    https://www.facebook.com/events/2854966994515383
  • Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:12 pm

Don't know if you all have seen this or not, but I really love it - KORK, the Norwegian orchestra, performing Gateways http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJDbA-tGnzY

Gosh, wish I could have gone to that special performance Dimmu did back in May in Oslo with the orchestra. :cool:
    soundcurve
    Chief Petty Officer

by soundcurve » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:56 pm

Laura wrote:Glad you enjoyed the Simon Schama series! I've seen some of the episodes but not all. The BBC has done a lot of great arts related programming over the years. If there is a topic I am as interested in, if not more interested in - than music - it is the history of art (and architecture)....from early childhood on when I parents took me to art museums (which I do now with my own girls), to studying it in college, to working in an arts library now for over 20 years. In short, I love everything about it! While I enjoy going to museums very much - I do also enjoy hearing lectures about art by noted historians and curators, seeing shows like the Schama series, reading about it, and best yet, to hear living artists themselves discuss their work. I have always liked Rothko very much btw - and there is definitely somewhat of a music "equivalent' to his work...sad he had a tragic end committing suicide and all. And Caravaggio of course is fantastic. :D If you and your wife come to Chicago, you must go to the Art Institute of Chicago and also the library where I work. ;)

Scorn is cool - I have listened to a great deal of ambient, dub, and electronica kinda stuff - I've linked to this before elsewhere, but I listened to "Musical Starstreams" long before the internet when it was just a radio program - now - http://www.starstreams.com/index.php :cool: Stuff like your Scorn link is somewhat heavier than much of what is on starstreams (and certainly Godflesh is - one of my favorites!) - but I like a wide range of so-called electronic music. (ha - ever since hearing Kraftwerk :cool: back in the 70s)

Yea, we should be in the Chicago area next August and plan on living it up (and visiting your work ;) ). I need to get a Nachtmystium Burger @ Kuma's Corner too (hopefully not in a too shitty area). A buddy of mine is getting married and his wife to be wants to get married at Norte Dame. Figure I can goof at the "Metal capital of the US" for a bit, hehe. (Though Maryland has MD Deathfest) I need to read up more on Rothko, they don't go into his death just in the start that he killed himself. The actors in the power of art are great. They really nailed it. and since I a way off topic of black metal might as well derail to . . .

Speaking of art(?) . . . Behold my latest creation! (for a game I like)

soundcurve
    Chief Petty Officer

by soundcurve » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:06 pm

Laura wrote:Don't know if you all have seen this or not, but I really love it - KORK, the Norwegian orchestra, performing Gateways http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJDbA-tGnzY

Gosh, wish I could have gone to that special performance Dimmu did back in May in Oslo with the orchestra. :cool:

Well we'll get it on DVD/Blu Ray/ <new uber format>. I think it woulda been awesome to go to that as well and experience it in person. EDT is a great album but the whole "perform the whole album" thing is . . .hmm hopefully something the band enjoys. I know fans will love it but hope it is something they have passion for. Either way, bring it to the States and I'm there :deathhorns:
  • Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:48 pm

soundcurve wrote:
    Laura wrote:Glad you enjoyed the Simon Schama series! I've seen some of the episodes but not all. The BBC has done a lot of great arts related programming over the years. If there is a topic I am as interested in, if not more interested in - than music - it is the history of art (and architecture)....from early childhood on when I parents took me to art museums (which I do now with my own girls), to studying it in college, to working in an arts library now for over 20 years. In short, I love everything about it! While I enjoy going to museums very much - I do also enjoy hearing lectures about art by noted historians and curators, seeing shows like the Schama series, reading about it, and best yet, to hear living artists themselves discuss their work. I have always liked Rothko very much btw - and there is definitely somewhat of a music "equivalent' to his work...sad he had a tragic end committing suicide and all. And Caravaggio of course is fantastic. :D If you and your wife come to Chicago, you must go to the Art Institute of Chicago and also the library where I work. ;)

Yea, we should be in the Chicago area next August and plan on living it up (and visiting your work ;) ). I need to get a Nachtmystium Burger @ Kuma's Corner too (hopefully not in a too shitty area). A buddy of mine is getting married and his wife to be wants to get married at Norte Dame. Figure I can goof at the "Metal capital of the US" for a bit, hehe. (Though Maryland has MD Deathfest) I need to read up more on Rothko, they don't go into his death just in the start that he killed himself. The actors in the power of art are great. They really nailed it. and since I a way off topic of black metal might as well derail to . . .

Speaking of art(?) . . . Behold my latest creation! (for a game I like)

Nice you'll be in Chicago! Kuma's is a fun place - the drawback is that it is super inconveniently located on the northwest side no where near downtown where most visitors stay. If you've got the time - worth the trip though! Funny thing is - I had never been there until this year - tried to go a few times before and the wait was god-awful long. It took out of towners Bentz! & Meredith to get me to go (key is to get in line outside before it opens!). I got the Goatwhore burger the first time (now sadly discontinued - wtf?) and don't remember atm what I got the second time.

I do believe Chicago IS the "Metal Capital of the US" btw! (hehe - or perhaps even the world?) Seriously! :mrgreen: Oh, and nice pumpkin carving - we haven't done ours yet. ;)

I'll look at our Rothko books at work when I'm back on Friday (off tomorrow for working Saturday - yay!) - I seem to remember a good biography I could recommend. Now - off soon to see 4 bands at The Empty Bottle! Called the venue and here's the schedule:
    9: Gaza
    10: Zoroaster
    11: Skeletonwitch
    Midnight: Kvelertak

Have never seen any of these bands so I'm super psyched! :beerbang: :whisky:
Post Reply 644 posts