User

Laura

Rank

Commander

Mon May 10, 2010 7:28 am

cloud 9 chicago

Re: Black Metal

by Laura » Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:11 am

mooyagi wrote:Looks like Dimmu Borgir is taking a page out of Amon Amarth's book and doing "An Evening with Dimmu Borgir" on their UK tour. Two sets, no openers. First set will be the masterpiece Enthrone Darkness Triumphant and the second will be a standard Dimmu set. Wonder if they will take this idea to the States at some point. I'd actually go see them if EDT is being played in its entirety. It's a great album.

This sound great! I bet they bring this type of tour to the US eventually.
Wacken 2009 & 2010, Hole in the Sky (Bergen) 2011, 70,000 Tons of Metal 2011 & 2012, Progressive Nation at Sea 2014. 2015: Rock Legends Cruise Feb 19-23
User

Stained Class

Rank

Commander

Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:53 am

Vancouver, British Columbia

by Stained Class » Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:47 am

mooyagi wrote:Looks like Dimmu Borgir is taking a page out of Amon Amarth's book and doing "An Evening with Dimmu Borgir" on their UK tour. Two sets, no openers. First set will be the masterpiece Enthrone Darkness Triumphant and the second will be a standard Dimmu set. Wonder if they will take this idea to the States at some point. I'd actually go see them if EDT is being played in its entirety. It's a great album.

In their defence, Amon Amarth wasn't the first band to do that ;)
The infamous LOLLIPOP

70K 2011, 70K 2012, BTH 2012, 70K 2013, 70K 2014
go on ALL the cruises!

Much want:
Æther.Realm-/-Allegaeon-/-Be'Lakor-/-Conquering.Dystopia-/-Equilibrium-/-Haken-/-Hypocrisy-/-Ihsahn-/-Insomnium-/-Kalmah-/-Mors.Principium.Est-/-Ne.Obliviscaris-/-Omnium.Gatherum-/-Voyager

Also want:
Aeternam-/-Armory-/-Ayreon-/-Beyond.Creation-/-Bloodbath-/-Bloodshot.Dawn-/-Bolt.Thrower-/-Brymir-/-Demons.And.Wizards-/-Devin.Townsend.Project-/-Dio.Disciples-/-Dream.Evil-/-Eternal.Tears.Of.Sorrow-/-Firewind-/-Galneryus-/-Gojira-/-Gorod-/-Grand.Magus-/-Heathen-/-Hibria-/-Illogicist-/-Immortal-/-In.Mourning-/-Inferi-/-Labyrinth-/-Luna.Mortis-/-Madder.Mortem-/-Obscura-/-Opeth-/-Pathfinder-/-Persefone-/-Persuader-/-Powerwolf-/-Revocation-/-Russkaja-/-Sacrifice-/-Savage.Messiah-/-Savatage-/-Scar.Symmetry-/-Snowy.Shaw-/-Spawn.Of.Possession-/-Steel.Panther-/-Striker-/-Suidakra-/-Tarot-/-Tengger.Cavalry-/-Thaurorod-/-Tony.Macalpine-/-Triosphere-/-Wolfchant-/-Wolfheart-/-Xanthochroid

Repeats:
The.Absence-/-Coroner-/-Onslaught-/-Therion-/-Uli.Jon.Roth
User

mooyagi

Rank

Captain

Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:25 pm

Tucson, AZ, USA

by mooyagi » Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:53 am

Stained Class wrote:

Were they at least the first to use the "An Evening with _____" name?
See you all on 70K 2015! :deathhorns:
User

Stained Class

Rank

Commander

Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:53 am

Vancouver, British Columbia

by Stained Class » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:44 am

mooyagi wrote:
Stained Class wrote:

Were they at least the first to use the "An Evening with _____" name?

Nope, that's a thing that's been going on for a while. Long before that I saw "An Evening With Great Big Sea" and it was the same giddy, 2 1.5 hour sets. I think it's a traditional name for a show of that format.
The infamous LOLLIPOP

70K 2011, 70K 2012, BTH 2012, 70K 2013, 70K 2014
go on ALL the cruises!

Much want:
Æther.Realm-/-Allegaeon-/-Be'Lakor-/-Conquering.Dystopia-/-Equilibrium-/-Haken-/-Hypocrisy-/-Ihsahn-/-Insomnium-/-Kalmah-/-Mors.Principium.Est-/-Ne.Obliviscaris-/-Omnium.Gatherum-/-Voyager

Also want:
Aeternam-/-Armory-/-Ayreon-/-Beyond.Creation-/-Bloodbath-/-Bloodshot.Dawn-/-Bolt.Thrower-/-Brymir-/-Demons.And.Wizards-/-Devin.Townsend.Project-/-Dio.Disciples-/-Dream.Evil-/-Eternal.Tears.Of.Sorrow-/-Firewind-/-Galneryus-/-Gojira-/-Gorod-/-Grand.Magus-/-Heathen-/-Hibria-/-Illogicist-/-Immortal-/-In.Mourning-/-Inferi-/-Labyrinth-/-Luna.Mortis-/-Madder.Mortem-/-Obscura-/-Opeth-/-Pathfinder-/-Persefone-/-Persuader-/-Powerwolf-/-Revocation-/-Russkaja-/-Sacrifice-/-Savage.Messiah-/-Savatage-/-Scar.Symmetry-/-Snowy.Shaw-/-Spawn.Of.Possession-/-Steel.Panther-/-Striker-/-Suidakra-/-Tarot-/-Tengger.Cavalry-/-Thaurorod-/-Tony.Macalpine-/-Triosphere-/-Wolfchant-/-Wolfheart-/-Xanthochroid

Repeats:
The.Absence-/-Coroner-/-Onslaught-/-Therion-/-Uli.Jon.Roth
User

Laura

Rank

Commander

cloud 9 chicago

by Laura » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:12 pm

Don't know if you all have seen this or not, but I really love it - KORK, the Norwegian orchestra, performing Gateways http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJDbA-tGnzY

Gosh, wish I could have gone to that special performance Dimmu did back in May in Oslo with the orchestra. :cool:
Wacken 2009 & 2010, Hole in the Sky (Bergen) 2011, 70,000 Tons of Metal 2011 & 2012, Progressive Nation at Sea 2014. 2015: Rock Legends Cruise Feb 19-23
User

soundcurve

Rank

Chief Petty Officer

Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:52 am

by soundcurve » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:56 pm

Laura wrote:Glad you enjoyed the Simon Schama series! I've seen some of the episodes but not all. The BBC has done a lot of great arts related programming over the years. If there is a topic I am as interested in, if not more interested in - than music - it is the history of art (and architecture)....from early childhood on when I parents took me to art museums (which I do now with my own girls), to studying it in college, to working in an arts library now for over 20 years. In short, I love everything about it! While I enjoy going to museums very much - I do also enjoy hearing lectures about art by noted historians and curators, seeing shows like the Schama series, reading about it, and best yet, to hear living artists themselves discuss their work. I have always liked Rothko very much btw - and there is definitely somewhat of a music "equivalent' to his work...sad he had a tragic end committing suicide and all. And Caravaggio of course is fantastic. :D If you and your wife come to Chicago, you must go to the Art Institute of Chicago and also the library where I work. ;)

Scorn is cool - I have listened to a great deal of ambient, dub, and electronica kinda stuff - I've linked to this before elsewhere, but I listened to "Musical Starstreams" long before the internet when it was just a radio program - now - http://www.starstreams.com/index.php :cool: Stuff like your Scorn link is somewhat heavier than much of what is on starstreams (and certainly Godflesh is - one of my favorites!) - but I like a wide range of so-called electronic music. (ha - ever since hearing Kraftwerk :cool: back in the 70s)

Yea, we should be in the Chicago area next August and plan on living it up (and visiting your work ;) ). I need to get a Nachtmystium Burger @ Kuma's Corner too (hopefully not in a too shitty area). A buddy of mine is getting married and his wife to be wants to get married at Norte Dame. Figure I can goof at the "Metal capital of the US" for a bit, hehe. (Though Maryland has MD Deathfest) I need to read up more on Rothko, they don't go into his death just in the start that he killed himself. The actors in the power of art are great. They really nailed it. and since I a way off topic of black metal might as well derail to . . .

Speaking of art(?) . . . Behold my latest creation! (for a game I like)

BTHFL
User

soundcurve

Rank

Chief Petty Officer

by soundcurve » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:06 pm

Laura wrote:Don't know if you all have seen this or not, but I really love it - KORK, the Norwegian orchestra, performing Gateways http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJDbA-tGnzY

Gosh, wish I could have gone to that special performance Dimmu did back in May in Oslo with the orchestra. :cool:

Well we'll get it on DVD/Blu Ray/ <new uber format>. I think it woulda been awesome to go to that as well and experience it in person. EDT is a great album but the whole "perform the whole album" thing is . . .hmm hopefully something the band enjoys. I know fans will love it but hope it is something they have passion for. Either way, bring it to the States and I'm there :deathhorns:
BTHFL
User

Laura

Rank

Commander

cloud 9 chicago

by Laura » Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:48 pm

soundcurve wrote:
Laura wrote:Glad you enjoyed the Simon Schama series! I've seen some of the episodes but not all. The BBC has done a lot of great arts related programming over the years. If there is a topic I am as interested in, if not more interested in - than music - it is the history of art (and architecture)....from early childhood on when I parents took me to art museums (which I do now with my own girls), to studying it in college, to working in an arts library now for over 20 years. In short, I love everything about it! While I enjoy going to museums very much - I do also enjoy hearing lectures about art by noted historians and curators, seeing shows like the Schama series, reading about it, and best yet, to hear living artists themselves discuss their work. I have always liked Rothko very much btw - and there is definitely somewhat of a music "equivalent' to his work...sad he had a tragic end committing suicide and all. And Caravaggio of course is fantastic. :D If you and your wife come to Chicago, you must go to the Art Institute of Chicago and also the library where I work. ;)

Scorn is cool - I have listened to a great deal of ambient, dub, and electronica kinda stuff - I've linked to this before elsewhere, but I listened to "Musical Starstreams" long before the internet when it was just a radio program - now - http://www.starstreams.com/index.php :cool: Stuff like your Scorn link is somewhat heavier than much of what is on starstreams (and certainly Godflesh is - one of my favorites!) - but I like a wide range of so-called electronic music. (ha - ever since hearing Kraftwerk :cool: back in the 70s)

Yea, we should be in the Chicago area next August and plan on living it up (and visiting your work ;) ). I need to get a Nachtmystium Burger @ Kuma's Corner too (hopefully not in a too shitty area). A buddy of mine is getting married and his wife to be wants to get married at Norte Dame. Figure I can goof at the "Metal capital of the US" for a bit, hehe. (Though Maryland has MD Deathfest) I need to read up more on Rothko, they don't go into his death just in the start that he killed himself. The actors in the power of art are great. They really nailed it. and since I a way off topic of black metal might as well derail to . . .

Speaking of art(?) . . . Behold my latest creation! (for a game I like)

Nice you'll be in Chicago! Kuma's is a fun place - the drawback is that it is super inconveniently located on the northwest side no where near downtown where most visitors stay. If you've got the time - worth the trip though! Funny thing is - I had never been there until this year - tried to go a few times before and the wait was god-awful long. It took out of towners Bentz! & Meredith to get me to go (key is to get in line outside before it opens!). I got the Goatwhore burger the first time (now sadly discontinued - wtf?) and don't remember atm what I got the second time.

I do believe Chicago IS the "Metal Capital of the US" btw! (hehe - or perhaps even the world?) Seriously! :mrgreen: Oh, and nice pumpkin carving - we haven't done ours yet. ;)

I'll look at our Rothko books at work when I'm back on Friday (off tomorrow for working Saturday - yay!) - I seem to remember a good biography I could recommend. Now - off soon to see 4 bands at The Empty Bottle! Called the venue and here's the schedule:
9: Gaza
10: Zoroaster
11: Skeletonwitch
Midnight: Kvelertak

Have never seen any of these bands so I'm super psyched! :beerbang: :whisky:
User

Laura

Rank

Commander

cloud 9 chicago

by Laura » Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:13 am

So, now that I went to the relatively mellow Opeth gig 2 nights ago (which I enjoyed very much nevertheless), I'm looking forward to another black metal gig 2 weeks from tonight :beerhorns: - Mayhem with Hate, Keep of Kalessin, and Abigail Williams at Reggie's. I don't own any albums from any of these bands, so any comments/recommendations? My main draw for the night is Mayhem who were really great at the Hole in the Sky fest in Bergen....even though I hardly know their music it was quite the "spectacle" :cool: Hope they use the large upside down Norwegian flags as a backdrop again - looked very cool.

another bad indoor gig pic of mine but at least it shows the flags! :lol:
User

Malaka

Rank

Lieutenant

Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:07 pm

Phoenix, AZ

by Malaka » Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:20 am

Laura, I would highly recommend Reptilian by Keep of Kalessin! Great album!
From Mayhem, Grand Declaration of War and Chimera are good, but you're not a fan of black metal if you don't own De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas. :death:
Wishlist: Immortal/Dark Fortress/Bolt Thrower/Hypocrisy/Belphegor/Incantation/Old Man's Child/Opeth/Bloodbath/Necrophobic/My Dying Bride/Unleashed/Vader/DTP/Morbid Angel/Repulsion/Hail of Bullets/Aeon/Before The Dawn/Death To All
User

Laura

Rank

Commander

cloud 9 chicago

by Laura » Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:50 am

SlaytanicE21 wrote:Laura, I would highly recommend Reptilian by Keep of Kalessin! Great album!
From Mayhem, Grand Declaration of War and Chimera are good, but you're not a fan of black metal if you don't own De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas. :death:

Thanks! Just bought De Mysterii Dom Sathanas! (see how easy I am and open to the power of suggestion!?? :P ) Cool Freezing Moon is on there - that song I do know and like very much. :beerhorns: I'll get the KoK next most likely - I know Bentz! & Mere are big fans of KoK too. I'm at work today and have a few fairly mundane tasks to attend to, so new (to me) music is always welcome in such circumstances. ;)
User

Malaka

Rank

Lieutenant

Phoenix, AZ

by Malaka » Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:38 am

I have no room to doubt your fanhood ov black metal Laura. After all, you went to Hole In The Sky, and I didn't. :cry:
I hope your next purchase is Dark Fortress - Ylem. You won't hate it. :beerhorns:
Wishlist: Immortal/Dark Fortress/Bolt Thrower/Hypocrisy/Belphegor/Incantation/Old Man's Child/Opeth/Bloodbath/Necrophobic/My Dying Bride/Unleashed/Vader/DTP/Morbid Angel/Repulsion/Hail of Bullets/Aeon/Before The Dawn/Death To All
User

Laura

Rank

Commander

cloud 9 chicago

by Laura » Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:04 pm

SlaytanicE21 wrote:I have no room to doubt your fanhood ov black metal Laura. After all, you went to Hole In The Sky, and I didn't. :cry:
I hope your next purchase is Dark Fortress - Ylem. You won't hate it. :beerhorns:

Haha - well, when I really, really love something - I tend to throw myself into whatever it is "whole hog"...and when it comes to black metal - what better place to do that than in Norway? ;) :beerhorns: Sometimes when I wake up I think I must have dreamt my two trips there - such an amazing place! :D :D :D But, damn - if that isn't the most crazy expensive country I've ever been to! :shock: Speaking of which - I had full intention to buy you a shirt from HITS but the T-shirts were like $40 or so and I didn't have enough cash with me the second of the four nights when I bought mine to buy one for you too! And then, when I did have enough cash the 3rd or 4th night - the shirts were sold out! Bah! So, I did think of you (not making this up - really :P )

I'm liking the Mayhem album btw and have added Ylem to my "list." :heavydrink:

P.S. Miss you on facebook :(
User

soundcurve

Rank

Chief Petty Officer

by soundcurve » Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:43 pm

Laura wrote:So, now that I went to the relatively mellow Opeth gig 2 nights ago (which I enjoyed very much nevertheless), I'm looking forward to another black metal gig 2 weeks from tonight :beerhorns: - Mayhem with Hate, Keep of Kalessin, and Abigail Williams at Reggie's. I don't own any albums from any of these bands, so any comments/recommendations? My main draw for the night is Mayhem who were really great at the Hole in the Sky fest in Bergen....even though I hardly know their music it was quite the "spectacle" :cool: Hope they use the large upside down Norwegian flags as a backdrop again - looked very cool.

another bad indoor gig pic of mine but at least it shows the flags! :lol:

I am with Eric on the Mayhem recommendations. They still really don't appeal to me but "grand declaration of war" was a cool album (think I mentioned in the yonder posts). Keep of Kal I know nothing about. Hate I think you could really really dig since you like behemoth. Their latest "Erebos" is great. They'd be the reason I go. Try these 2 gems.

Lux Aeterna - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdMDn8wqP20 Crank this puppy!
Erebos - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oR6wCD5oG6c - This sound will make you want to kick someone's ass when the bottom end comes ripping in. 55 sec mark, crank it! :)

As for Abigail Williams, they are fairly straight forward (i.e. you've probably heard 124562132 BM bands like them) They don't suck but really bring nothing new for me. They get some crap cause they went from <name core-Genre> to black metal.

This is a enjoyable track, see if it does anything for ya:

Infernal Divide http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWu8zSAmc6Y

Still on the fence hitting this show up and opeth/katatonia, errr. Kinda feeling that is a mellow show and really want a meaty heavy show of a band I dig a lot. Opeth and Katatonia are both great just eh.
BTHFL
User

mooyagi

Rank

Captain

Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:25 pm

Tucson, AZ, USA

by mooyagi » Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:52 pm

Mayhem sucks :P Really not a fan of the music. I'll be seeing them in a week but I'm mainly going for the undercard, especially Woe. Would be cool to at least see Mayhem once. Should be quite a spectacle.
See you all on 70K 2015! :deathhorns:
User

Laura

Rank

Commander

cloud 9 chicago

by Laura » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:17 am

soundcurve wrote:I am with Eric on the Mayhem recommendations. They still really don't appeal to me but "grand declaration of war" was a cool album (think I mentioned in the yonder posts). Keep of Kal I know nothing about. Hate I think you could really really dig since you like behemoth. Their latest "Erebos" is great. They'd be the reason I go. Try these 2 gems.

Lux Aeterna - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdMDn8wqP20 Crank this puppy!
Erebos - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oR6wCD5oG6c - This sound will make you want to kick someone's ass when the bottom end comes ripping in. 55 sec mark, crank it! :)

As for Abigail Williams, they are fairly straight forward (i.e. you've probably heard 124562132 BM bands like them) They don't suck but really bring nothing new for me. They get some crap cause they went from <name core-Genre> to black metal.

This is a enjoyable track, see if it does anything for ya:

Infernal Divide http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWu8zSAmc6Y

Those Hate links are great! I'm sure it has been said a gazillion times, but they really DO sound like Behemoth - I almost would have thought it was Behemoth if I didn't know otherwise. But that's ok - why not? - more Behemothy sounding music = more better. :cool: I like that Abigail Williams link as well - and you're right it sounds similar to a lot of other stuff - especially the vocal and drumming style - but still very enjoyable. Which begs the question/thought - when there has been an established style around for awhile - there is bound to be a lot of borrowing and repeating so to speak. Of course, it is really cool when a band can do something "new" - to - or with - the base formula. I think because I'm still relatively new to the genre, most of the new stuff I hear all sounds pretty fresh (ha - or fresh enough!) to me. :beerwink: I did get a bit of a kick out of your comment: This sound will make you want to kick someone's ass when the bottom end comes ripping in. 55 sec mark, crank it! :) - because I'm not exactly an "ass-kicking" type. :P :lol: (but I know what you meant by it)
User

soundcurve

Rank

Chief Petty Officer

by soundcurve » Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:20 pm

Bob Larson vs. Mayhem's Necrobutcher !
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... Jk9Ul1K_V0

Kinda funny. Sadly is just one sad joke for mainly the wacko religious folk and gives them more exposure. The Bob Larson vs. Glen Benton still wins for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcgmWrhSg8c
BTHFL
User

Egokrusher

Rank

Petty Officer

Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:41 am

Huntington. West Virginia

by Egokrusher » Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:47 am

soundcurve wrote:Bob Larson vs. Mayhem's Necrobutcher !
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... Jk9Ul1K_V0

Kinda funny. Sadly is just one sad joke for mainly the wacko religious folk and gives them more exposure. The Bob Larson vs. Glen Benton still wins for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcgmWrhSg8c

That whole Larson vs the metal community feud is hilarious. The Necrobutcher exorcism is easily one of the most outrageous things I've ever seen. Larson's interviews with Boyd Rice are fairly entertaining as well.
"Death does not concern us, because as long as we exist, death is not here. And when it does come, we no longer exist." - Epicurus

Cabin: 5571!
User

soundcurve

Rank

Chief Petty Officer

by soundcurve » Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:48 am

Hell yes! :bmhorns:

MORTUARY DRAPE
Sat, Dec 03, 2011
BLACK MESS PRODUCTIONS presents…
MORTUARY DRAPE (Italy), INQUISITION (Colombia), AGRATH, INFERNAL STRONGHOLD

I'm there! :twisted:
BTHFL
User

Laura

Rank

Commander

cloud 9 chicago

by Laura » Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:02 am

soundcurve wrote:Hell yes! :bmhorns:

MORTUARY DRAPE
Sat, Dec 03, 2011
BLACK MESS PRODUCTIONS presents…
MORTUARY DRAPE (Italy), INQUISITION (Colombia), AGRATH, INFERNAL STRONGHOLD

I'm there! :twisted:

Great! Nice this tour finally announced more dates - I'll be there 10 days later. :D
User

KevinP

Rank

Commander

Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:12 pm

Orlando, FL

by KevinP » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:47 pm

I like Inquisitiion in the sense that they are at least an HONEST black metal band. They only have vocals, guitar and drums. 2 members. Absolutely no need for a bassist. I mean who the fuck needs a bassist in black metal? That's like needing to tune your guitar or have an amp that isn't falling apart.

:death: :death: :death:
WISHLIST

BOLT THROWER / MADDER MORTEM / SEAR BLISS / AEON / THE AMENTA / AUTOPSY / MDB / THE 11th HOUR / HAIL OF BULLETS / DORDEDUH / TRIPTYKON / NE OBLIVISCARIS / PORTAL

The Sultan of Stroopwafels
The Viceroy of Vegemite
Loather of Power Metal
User

EvilDan

Rank

Lieutenant

Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:05 am

Dallas

by EvilDan » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:54 am

KevinP wrote:I like Inquisitiion in the sense that they are at least an HONEST black metal band. They only have vocals, guitar and drums. 2 members. Absolutely no need for a bassist. I mean who the fuck needs a bassist in black metal? That's like needing to tune your guitar or have an amp that isn't falling apart.

:death: :death: :death:

We have a local black metal band (can't think of the name, they opened for Black Anvil/Goatwhore/Watain) that is just bass and drums. And it worked.
Never take anything I say seriously.

Am I Evil? I am Dan. Yes, I am! :twisted:
User

soundcurve

Rank

Chief Petty Officer

by soundcurve » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:59 am

Hail Death!!! The (Devil's) Blood shall flow. It is here: http://inlog.org/2011/11/04/stream-the- ... re-stream/

These songs are epic and contain a ton of changes. Loving it. "On the Wings of Gloria" is fucking excellent. They coulda milked the popest part but built into it perfectly (see: 4:40 mark). Love how the bass is carrying it too. Hopefully this S.L. dude sticks around as he has a lot of songwriting skills.

And that Ghost US tour is cool. Still get to see them in DC the 19th before setting sail and they are with Blood Ceremony (another fave). Good stuff all around. :bmhorns:
BTHFL
User

Laura

Rank

Commander

cloud 9 chicago

by Laura » Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:38 pm

^^^ I saw this and said whaaa? A Ghost tour in January??? :shock:
ImageImageImageImage
Followed by :cool: - yay.... :beerhorns:

...until I saw that the Bottom Lounge Chi gig is January 24th!! :cry:
I believe I may be otherwise pre-occupied on that particular date :beerwink:

ImageImageImageImage
(that's me running around in circles very stoked about 70K of Metal Round Two!!)
User

KevinP

Rank

Commander

Orlando, FL

by KevinP » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:26 pm

IMN rejoice, the new Blut Aus Nord has been leaked :lol: :lol: :lol:

WISHLIST

BOLT THROWER / MADDER MORTEM / SEAR BLISS / AEON / THE AMENTA / AUTOPSY / MDB / THE 11th HOUR / HAIL OF BULLETS / DORDEDUH / TRIPTYKON / NE OBLIVISCARIS / PORTAL

The Viceroy of Vegemite
Loather of Power Metal
User

Laura

Rank

Commander

cloud 9 chicago

by Laura » Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:08 am

KevinP wrote:IMN rejoice, the new Blut Aus Nord has been leaked :lol: :lol: :lol:

That is a fantastic album cover!!
User

AlaskaRachel

Rank

Lieutenant-Commander

Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:20 am

Seattle, WA

by AlaskaRachel » Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:15 pm

Laura wrote:
KevinP wrote:IMN rejoice, the new Blut Aus Nord has been leaked :lol: :lol: :lol:

That is a fantastic album cover!!

Yea it is! Very cool
User

KevinP

Rank

Commander

Orlando, FL

by KevinP » Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:29 pm

Why are so many power weenies hanging around this thread ? :lol: :lol: :lol:
WISHLIST

The Viceroy of Vegemite
Loather of Power Metal
User

WizardBeast

Rank

Captain

Sat May 15, 2010 4:11 pm

Denver, CO

by WizardBeast » Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:47 pm

kevin have you heard the new Blut Aus Nord yet? I LOVE THEM (that guy!)
Awaiting UMC Cruise 6(66)!!!
User

KevinP

Rank

Commander

Orlando, FL

by KevinP » Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:17 pm

WizardBeast wrote:kevin have you heard the new Blut Aus Nord yet? I LOVE THEM (that guy!)

Listened to it today actually. Sounded cool. Kinda more mellow vibe than previous stuff (though I'm by no means an expert on them).

The two 777 albums they released this year were more subdued (but not in a bad way). I think there is another part they are releasing as well ???
WISHLIST

The Viceroy of Vegemite
Loather of Power Metal
User

soundcurve

Rank

Chief Petty Officer

by soundcurve » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:53 pm

KevinP wrote:
WizardBeast wrote:kevin have you heard the new Blut Aus Nord yet? I LOVE THEM (that guy!)

Listened to it today actually. Sounded cool. Kinda more mellow vibe than previous stuff (though I'm by no means an expert on them).

The two 777 albums they released this year were more subdued (but not in a bad way). I think there is another part they are releasing as well ???

Aleister Crowley's Liber 777 musta hit home with em'. Symbols and all. The question with this kinda stuff is a month(s) from now would you be like "Man, I really wanna hear 777 vol. 2". I'll leave the reviews to the IMNs and you if you wanna spend enough time listening to it and type something up. I'd give it a honest listen if you really think it strikes home with you.

Last albums I felt like that with are (keepin it BM):

Weapon - Drakonian Paradigm
Inquisition - Ominous Doctrines of the Perpetual Mystical Macrocosm
Taake - Noregs Vaapen
And now . . The Devil's Blood is melting itself into my psyche: http://inlog.org/2011/11/04/stream-the- ... re-stream/

There is too much shit out there and Blut makes music you have to discipline yourself to listen to (least for me). I tried to give them a fair shake when the first wave of hype hit and it didn't do much so . . might not be for me. Though I am sure there is much artistic merit I have a huge soft spot for catchy. And much what Wizardbeast said, you see that a lot with them on the web at the moment. The vibe that "You just aren't hip enough / smart to get this music / best thing evaarrrr" Again, not disrespecting them just not connecting.
BTHFL
User

KevinP

Rank

Commander

Orlando, FL

by KevinP » Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:54 pm

Obviously you think about this waaaaaay more than I ever plan to do :lol: :lol: :lol:

I just don't like traditional black metal (for the most part). Hence why the avante garde stuff appeals to me more (though I'm not head over heels about it) :mrgreen:

I get all my catchy stuff from death, thrash and traditional metal, so it fills the "off the wall" void.

And stop lumping TDB as black metal will ya :lol: :lol: :lol:
WISHLIST

The Viceroy of Vegemite
Loather of Power Metal
User

soundcurve

Rank

Chief Petty Officer

by soundcurve » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:11 pm

KevinP wrote:Obviously you think about this waaaaaay more than I ever plan to do :lol: :lol: :lol:

I just don't like traditional black metal (for the most part). Hence why the avante garde stuff appeals to me more (though I'm not head over heels about it) :mrgreen:

I get all my catchy stuff from death, thrash and traditional metal, so it fills the "off the wall" void.

And stop lumping TDB as black metal will ya :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol: Hey, you are the one that toxic waltz into the "Black Metal" Thread. My point is if the music is just "meh, 5 - 6 / 10" why bother. The world is flooded with it, support the 8+/10s the thing that hits home, not just "this is tolerable". The stuff that make you want to put action to the music. That is the "magick" to music so to speak. Leave that other stuff to the IMNs. :lol:

As for TDB, I rationalized that before in the past. It is a feel not a formula. Breakdown the genre barriers and just see if the song sticks and what it makes you feel.
BTHFL
User

Laura

Rank

Commander

cloud 9 chicago

by Laura » Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:43 am

Regarding Blut aus Nord - I noticed I wrote about them a bit already on the previous page after just hearing a few songs. From what I've heard so far, I definitely want to check out more - but I'll probably wait awhile - most likely until sometime after the cruise. Seems like the kind of music I'd want to listen to exclusively for a week or more, and see what happens. ;) :P

Kevin - I'm kinda surprised you like Blut aus Nord - doesn't seem like your kinda thang.

Mike - I get your thoughts about "catchy" - I think that's why I love Kvelertak so much - some of the catchiest music I've heard in ages. Btw - I agree with your comments about the Inquisition album - that's a great one and the guy even does a better Abbath voice than Abbath! ( ;) ) Funny that at some point I was talking about Mortuary Drape and you were talking about Inquisition on this thread and now they're touring together next month. So :cool:. You mentioned some of your recent favorite albums, and I'll add to that with a slightly different parameter...

Thus far in 2011, the bands (that were hitherto unknown to me) that I find the most interesting and exciting are Kvelertak (blackened punk?) and Wardruna (a Norwegian musical constellation set out to explore and evoke the depths of Norse wisdom and spirituality - so sayeth http://www.wardruna.com/ :cool: ) Ha - and they're both from Norway - no surprises there as far as my interests go of late. :P ;) Of course, there are several other (new to me) bands I've listened to and enjoyed a great deal this year (Ghost, Grand Magus, In Solitude & Helheim to name a few), but Kvelertak and Wardruna really stand out for me. Not really black metal I suppose, yet there is the Gaahl connection in the case of Wardruna and Kvelertak is a hybrid of sorts.

Kvelertak: Blodtørst http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7sIqyoRFiU
Wardruna: Bjarkan - Live at the Viking Ship Museum, Oslo, Norway (was there in 2010 - the museum, that is - not the gig - loved it) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKMDcTne ... re=related
Wardruna: Kauna (Live at Incubate 2009) http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=jMV78a-G5xY
User

soundcurve

Rank

Chief Petty Officer

by soundcurve » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:45 am

Laura wrote:Mike - I get your thoughts about "catchy" - I think that's why I love Kvelertak so much - some of the catchiest music I've heard in ages. Btw - I agree with your comments about the Inquisition album - that's a great one and the guy even does a better Abbath voice than Abbath! ( ;) ) Funny that at some point I was talking about Mortuary Drape and you were talking about Inquisition on this thread and now they're touring together next month. So :cool:. You mentioned some of your recent favorite albums, and I'll add to that with a slightly different parameter...
Kvelertak: Blodtørst http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7sIqyoRFiU

Yea I am glad our post on this thread made the Inquisition/ Mortuary Drape tour happen. :cool:

I been listen to Tolling 13 Knell more. The recording is not recorded well (I know, black metal but still. . . !)but I can see some of the potential. I bet it comes off better live.

Kvelertak I been meaning to get to. I listened to it once and it is pretty enjoyable just need to find a time when I am in the mood. Right now I been on a Ministry kick for whatever reason.
BTHFL
User

Malaka

Rank

Lieutenant

Phoenix, AZ

by Malaka » Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:26 pm

Sorry to break this to ya but uh... Mortuary Drape has cancelled their U.S. tour.
User

soundcurve

Rank

Chief Petty Officer

by soundcurve » Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:15 pm

SlaytanicE21 wrote:Sorry to break this to ya but uh... Mortuary Drape has cancelled their U.S. tour.

Bahhhhh Fuuuuck man. that sucks. :cry: I see the one show canceled in TX but I guess you saw it for the whole tour? That blows.. Oh well, thanks for the info even though bad. . .
BTHFL
User

Malaka

Rank

Lieutenant

Phoenix, AZ

by Malaka » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:06 pm

Check with the venue's website before cancelling all your plans. My source came from another message board, so I don't know how true it is. I know they cancelled Rites of Darkness Fest, and Negative Plane was supposed to tour with them and they dropped off too.
User

Laura

Rank

Commander

cloud 9 chicago

by Laura » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:42 pm

The Reggie's site is still showing the Chicago gig - hope they don't cancel! Really looking forward to it as I've never seen either band...plus it's my only planned gig for December. *keeping fingers crossed*
User

Laura

Rank

Commander

cloud 9 chicago

by Laura » Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:32 pm

Well, now it's official....just received this in my email today from Ticketfly:

Hello,

Mortuary Drape will no longer be performing at Reggies Rock Club on December 13. Inquisition will now be headlining with one band TBA. The cost of the show has been changed to $15.

Bad and good news - was really looking forward to seeing Mortuary Drape since I missed them at HITS - oh well, at least Inquisition is still playing and I'll go to that since I really like their new album...Ominous Doctrines of the Perpetual Mystical Macrocosm. Mike - just looked at their discography - are there others you are familiar with and would highly recommend? Also - a side note - didn't realize till today that even though they originally hail from Colombia, they've been in Seattle awhile now so it seems.
PreviousNext