Post Reply 644 posts
Black Metal
  • Laura
    Commander

Re: Black Metal

by Laura » Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:13 am

So, now that I went to the relatively mellow Opeth gig 2 nights ago (which I enjoyed very much nevertheless), I'm looking forward to another black metal gig 2 weeks from tonight :beerhorns: - Mayhem with Hate, Keep of Kalessin, and Abigail Williams at Reggie's. I don't own any albums from any of these bands, so any comments/recommendations? My main draw for the night is Mayhem who were really great at the Hole in the Sky fest in Bergen....even though I hardly know their music it was quite the "spectacle" :cool: Hope they use the large upside down Norwegian flags as a backdrop again - looked very cool.

another bad indoor gig pic of mine but at least it shows the flags! :lol:
    2009-Wacken-2010-Wacken-2011-70K-Lollapalooza-HoleInTheSky-2012-70K-ColdWaves-2013-Lollapalooza-ColdWaves-2014-ProgNationAtSea-Pitchfork-RiotFest-ColdWaves-2015-RockLegendsCruise-CruiseToTheEdge-2016-ChicagoOpenAir-2017-70K!!
  • Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:50 am

SlaytanicE21 wrote:Laura, I would highly recommend Reptilian by Keep of Kalessin! Great album!
    From Mayhem, Grand Declaration of War and Chimera are good, but you're not a fan of black metal if you don't own De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas. :death:

Thanks! Just bought De Mysterii Dom Sathanas! (see how easy I am and open to the power of suggestion!?? :P ) Cool Freezing Moon is on there - that song I do know and like very much. :beerhorns: I'll get the KoK next most likely - I know Bentz! & Mere are big fans of KoK too. I'm at work today and have a few fairly mundane tasks to attend to, so new (to me) music is always welcome in such circumstances. ;)
    2009-Wacken-2010-Wacken-2011-70K-Lollapalooza-HoleInTheSky-2012-70K-ColdWaves-2013-Lollapalooza-ColdWaves-2014-ProgNationAtSea-Pitchfork-RiotFest-ColdWaves-2015-RockLegendsCruise-CruiseToTheEdge-2016-ChicagoOpenAir-2017-70K!!
  • Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:04 pm

SlaytanicE21 wrote:I have no room to doubt your fanhood ov black metal Laura. After all, you went to Hole In The Sky, and I didn't. :cry:
    I hope your next purchase is Dark Fortress - Ylem. You won't hate it. :beerhorns:

Haha - well, when I really, really love something - I tend to throw myself into whatever it is "whole hog"...and when it comes to black metal - what better place to do that than in Norway? ;) :beerhorns: Sometimes when I wake up I think I must have dreamt my two trips there - such an amazing place! :D :D :D But, damn - if that isn't the most crazy expensive country I've ever been to! :shock: Speaking of which - I had full intention to buy you a shirt from HITS but the T-shirts were like $40 or so and I didn't have enough cash with me the second of the four nights when I bought mine to buy one for you too! And then, when I did have enough cash the 3rd or 4th night - the shirts were sold out! Bah! So, I did think of you (not making this up - really :P )

I'm liking the Mayhem album btw and have added Ylem to my "list." :heavydrink:

P.S. Miss you on facebook :(
    soundcurve
    Chief Petty Officer

by soundcurve » Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:43 pm

Laura wrote:So, now that I went to the relatively mellow Opeth gig 2 nights ago (which I enjoyed very much nevertheless), I'm looking forward to another black metal gig 2 weeks from tonight :beerhorns: - Mayhem with Hate, Keep of Kalessin, and Abigail Williams at Reggie's. I don't own any albums from any of these bands, so any comments/recommendations? My main draw for the night is Mayhem who were really great at the Hole in the Sky fest in Bergen....even though I hardly know their music it was quite the "spectacle" :cool: Hope they use the large upside down Norwegian flags as a backdrop again - looked very cool.

another bad indoor gig pic of mine but at least it shows the flags! :lol:

I am with Eric on the Mayhem recommendations. They still really don't appeal to me but "grand declaration of war" was a cool album (think I mentioned in the yonder posts). Keep of Kal I know nothing about. Hate I think you could really really dig since you like behemoth. Their latest "Erebos" is great. They'd be the reason I go. Try these 2 gems.

Lux Aeterna - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdMDn8wqP20 Crank this puppy!
    Erebos - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oR6wCD5oG6c - This sound will make you want to kick someone's ass when the bottom end comes ripping in. 55 sec mark, crank it! :)

As for Abigail Williams, they are fairly straight forward (i.e. you've probably heard 124562132 BM bands like them) They don't suck but really bring nothing new for me. They get some crap cause they went from <name core-Genre> to black metal.

This is a enjoyable track, see if it does anything for ya:

Infernal Divide http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWu8zSAmc6Y

Still on the fence hitting this show up and opeth/katatonia, errr. Kinda feeling that is a mellow show and really want a meaty heavy show of a band I dig a lot. Opeth and Katatonia are both great just eh.
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:52 pm

Mayhem sucks :P Really not a fan of the music. I'll be seeing them in a week but I'm mainly going for the undercard, especially Woe. Would be cool to at least see Mayhem once. Should be quite a spectacle.
    I should get around to updating my signature
  • Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:17 am

soundcurve wrote:I am with Eric on the Mayhem recommendations. They still really don't appeal to me but "grand declaration of war" was a cool album (think I mentioned in the yonder posts). Keep of Kal I know nothing about. Hate I think you could really really dig since you like behemoth. Their latest "Erebos" is great. They'd be the reason I go. Try these 2 gems.

Lux Aeterna - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdMDn8wqP20 Crank this puppy!
    Erebos - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oR6wCD5oG6c - This sound will make you want to kick someone's ass when the bottom end comes ripping in. 55 sec mark, crank it! :)

As for Abigail Williams, they are fairly straight forward (i.e. you've probably heard 124562132 BM bands like them) They don't suck but really bring nothing new for me. They get some crap cause they went from <name core-Genre> to black metal.

This is a enjoyable track, see if it does anything for ya:

Infernal Divide http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWu8zSAmc6Y

Those Hate links are great! I'm sure it has been said a gazillion times, but they really DO sound like Behemoth - I almost would have thought it was Behemoth if I didn't know otherwise. But that's ok - why not? - more Behemothy sounding music = more better. :cool: I like that Abigail Williams link as well - and you're right it sounds similar to a lot of other stuff - especially the vocal and drumming style - but still very enjoyable. Which begs the question/thought - when there has been an established style around for awhile - there is bound to be a lot of borrowing and repeating so to speak. Of course, it is really cool when a band can do something "new" - to - or with - the base formula. I think because I'm still relatively new to the genre, most of the new stuff I hear all sounds pretty fresh (ha - or fresh enough!) to me. :beerwink: I did get a bit of a kick out of your comment: This sound will make you want to kick someone's ass when the bottom end comes ripping in. 55 sec mark, crank it! :) - because I'm not exactly an "ass-kicking" type. :P :lol: (but I know what you meant by it)
    soundcurve
    Chief Petty Officer

by soundcurve » Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:20 pm

Bob Larson vs. Mayhem's Necrobutcher !
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... Jk9Ul1K_V0

Kinda funny. Sadly is just one sad joke for mainly the wacko religious folk and gives them more exposure. The Bob Larson vs. Glen Benton still wins for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcgmWrhSg8c
    Egokrusher
    Petty Officer

by Egokrusher » Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:47 am

soundcurve wrote:Bob Larson vs. Mayhem's Necrobutcher !
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... Jk9Ul1K_V0

Kinda funny. Sadly is just one sad joke for mainly the wacko religious folk and gives them more exposure. The Bob Larson vs. Glen Benton still wins for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcgmWrhSg8c

That whole Larson vs the metal community feud is hilarious. The Necrobutcher exorcism is easily one of the most outrageous things I've ever seen. Larson's interviews with Boyd Rice are fairly entertaining as well.
    "Death does not concern us, because as long as we exist, death is not here. And when it does come, we no longer exist." - Epicurus

Cabin: 5571!
    soundcurve
    Chief Petty Officer

by soundcurve » Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:48 am

Hell yes! :bmhorns:

MORTUARY DRAPE
    Sat, Dec 03, 2011
    BLACK MESS PRODUCTIONS presents…
    MORTUARY DRAPE (Italy), INQUISITION (Colombia), AGRATH, INFERNAL STRONGHOLD

I'm there! :twisted:
  • Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:02 am

soundcurve wrote:Hell yes! :bmhorns:

MORTUARY DRAPE
    Sat, Dec 03, 2011
    BLACK MESS PRODUCTIONS presents…
    MORTUARY DRAPE (Italy), INQUISITION (Colombia), AGRATH, INFERNAL STRONGHOLD

I'm there! :twisted:

Great! Nice this tour finally announced more dates - I'll be there 10 days later. :D
  • KevinP
    Commander

by KevinP » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:47 pm

I like Inquisitiion in the sense that they are at least an HONEST black metal band. They only have vocals, guitar and drums. 2 members. Absolutely no need for a bassist. I mean who the fuck needs a bassist in black metal? That's like needing to tune your guitar or have an amp that isn't falling apart.

:death: :death: :death:
    WISHLIST

BOLT THROWER / MADDER MORTEM / SEAR BLISS / AEON / THE AMENTA / AUTOPSY / MDB / THE 11th HOUR / HAIL OF BULLETS / DORDEDUH / TRIPTYKON / NE OBLIVISCARIS / PORTAL

The Sultan of Stroopwafels
    The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
  • EvilDan
    Lieutenant

by EvilDan » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:54 am

KevinP wrote:I like Inquisitiion in the sense that they are at least an HONEST black metal band. They only have vocals, guitar and drums. 2 members. Absolutely no need for a bassist. I mean who the fuck needs a bassist in black metal? That's like needing to tune your guitar or have an amp that isn't falling apart.

:death: :death: :death:

We have a local black metal band (can't think of the name, they opened for Black Anvil/Goatwhore/Watain) that is just bass and drums. And it worked.
    Never take anything I say seriously.

Am I Evil? I am Dan. Yes, I am! :twisted:
    soundcurve
    Chief Petty Officer

by soundcurve » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:59 am

Hail Death!!! The (Devil's) Blood shall flow. It is here: http://inlog.org/2011/11/04/stream-the- ... re-stream/

These songs are epic and contain a ton of changes. Loving it. "On the Wings of Gloria" is fucking excellent. They coulda milked the popest part but built into it perfectly (see: 4:40 mark). Love how the bass is carrying it too. Hopefully this S.L. dude sticks around as he has a lot of songwriting skills.

And that Ghost US tour is cool. Still get to see them in DC the 19th before setting sail and they are with Blood Ceremony (another fave). Good stuff all around. :bmhorns:
  • Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:38 pm

^^^ I saw this and said whaaa? A Ghost tour in January??? :shock:
    ImageImageImageImage
    Followed by :cool: - yay.... :beerhorns:

...until I saw that the Bottom Lounge Chi gig is January 24th!! :cry:
    I believe I may be otherwise pre-occupied on that particular date :beerwink:

ImageImageImageImage
    (that's me running around in circles very stoked about 70K of Metal Round Two!!)
  • KevinP
    Commander

by KevinP » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:26 pm

IMN rejoice, the new Blut Aus Nord has been leaked :lol: :lol: :lol:

WISHLIST

BOLT THROWER / MADDER MORTEM / SEAR BLISS / AEON / THE AMENTA / AUTOPSY / MDB / THE 11th HOUR / HAIL OF BULLETS / DORDEDUH / TRIPTYKON / NE OBLIVISCARIS / PORTAL

The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
  • Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:08 am

KevinP wrote:IMN rejoice, the new Blut Aus Nord has been leaked :lol: :lol: :lol:

That is a fantastic album cover!!
  • AlaskaRachel
    Lieutenant-Commander

by AlaskaRachel » Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:15 pm

Laura wrote:
    KevinP wrote:IMN rejoice, the new Blut Aus Nord has been leaked :lol: :lol: :lol:

That is a fantastic album cover!!

Yea it is! Very cool
  • KevinP
    Commander

by KevinP » Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:29 pm

Why are so many power weenies hanging around this thread ? :lol: :lol: :lol:
    WISHLIST

The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
    WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:47 pm

kevin have you heard the new Blut Aus Nord yet? I LOVE THEM (that guy!)
    2011, Barge to Hell, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2020 SOOOOON
  • KevinP
    Commander

by KevinP » Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:17 pm

WizardBeast wrote:kevin have you heard the new Blut Aus Nord yet? I LOVE THEM (that guy!)

Listened to it today actually. Sounded cool. Kinda more mellow vibe than previous stuff (though I'm by no means an expert on them).

The two 777 albums they released this year were more subdued (but not in a bad way). I think there is another part they are releasing as well ???
    WISHLIST

The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
    soundcurve
    Chief Petty Officer

by soundcurve » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:53 pm

KevinP wrote:
    WizardBeast wrote:kevin have you heard the new Blut Aus Nord yet? I LOVE THEM (that guy!)

Listened to it today actually. Sounded cool. Kinda more mellow vibe than previous stuff (though I'm by no means an expert on them).

The two 777 albums they released this year were more subdued (but not in a bad way). I think there is another part they are releasing as well ???

Aleister Crowley's Liber 777 musta hit home with em'. Symbols and all. The question with this kinda stuff is a month(s) from now would you be like "Man, I really wanna hear 777 vol. 2". I'll leave the reviews to the IMNs and you if you wanna spend enough time listening to it and type something up. I'd give it a honest listen if you really think it strikes home with you.

Last albums I felt like that with are (keepin it BM):

Weapon - Drakonian Paradigm
    Inquisition - Ominous Doctrines of the Perpetual Mystical Macrocosm
    Taake - Noregs Vaapen
    And now . . The Devil's Blood is melting itself into my psyche: http://inlog.org/2011/11/04/stream-the- ... re-stream/

There is too much shit out there and Blut makes music you have to discipline yourself to listen to (least for me). I tried to give them a fair shake when the first wave of hype hit and it didn't do much so . . might not be for me. Though I am sure there is much artistic merit I have a huge soft spot for catchy. And much what Wizardbeast said, you see that a lot with them on the web at the moment. The vibe that "You just aren't hip enough / smart to get this music / best thing evaarrrr" Again, not disrespecting them just not connecting.
  • KevinP
    Commander

by KevinP » Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:54 pm

Obviously you think about this waaaaaay more than I ever plan to do :lol: :lol: :lol:

I just don't like traditional black metal (for the most part). Hence why the avante garde stuff appeals to me more (though I'm not head over heels about it) :mrgreen:

I get all my catchy stuff from death, thrash and traditional metal, so it fills the "off the wall" void.

And stop lumping TDB as black metal will ya :lol: :lol: :lol:
    WISHLIST

The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
    soundcurve
    Chief Petty Officer

by soundcurve » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:11 pm

KevinP wrote:Obviously you think about this waaaaaay more than I ever plan to do :lol: :lol: :lol:

I just don't like traditional black metal (for the most part). Hence why the avante garde stuff appeals to me more (though I'm not head over heels about it) :mrgreen:

I get all my catchy stuff from death, thrash and traditional metal, so it fills the "off the wall" void.

And stop lumping TDB as black metal will ya :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol: Hey, you are the one that toxic waltz into the "Black Metal" Thread. My point is if the music is just "meh, 5 - 6 / 10" why bother. The world is flooded with it, support the 8+/10s the thing that hits home, not just "this is tolerable". The stuff that make you want to put action to the music. That is the "magick" to music so to speak. Leave that other stuff to the IMNs. :lol:

As for TDB, I rationalized that before in the past. It is a feel not a formula. Breakdown the genre barriers and just see if the song sticks and what it makes you feel.
  • Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:43 am

Regarding Blut aus Nord - I noticed I wrote about them a bit already on the previous page after just hearing a few songs. From what I've heard so far, I definitely want to check out more - but I'll probably wait awhile - most likely until sometime after the cruise. Seems like the kind of music I'd want to listen to exclusively for a week or more, and see what happens. ;) :P

Kevin - I'm kinda surprised you like Blut aus Nord - doesn't seem like your kinda thang.

Mike - I get your thoughts about "catchy" - I think that's why I love Kvelertak so much - some of the catchiest music I've heard in ages. Btw - I agree with your comments about the Inquisition album - that's a great one and the guy even does a better Abbath voice than Abbath! ( ;) ) Funny that at some point I was talking about Mortuary Drape and you were talking about Inquisition on this thread and now they're touring together next month. So :cool:. You mentioned some of your recent favorite albums, and I'll add to that with a slightly different parameter...

Thus far in 2011, the bands (that were hitherto unknown to me) that I find the most interesting and exciting are Kvelertak (blackened punk?) and Wardruna (a Norwegian musical constellation set out to explore and evoke the depths of Norse wisdom and spirituality - so sayeth http://www.wardruna.com/ :cool: ) Ha - and they're both from Norway - no surprises there as far as my interests go of late. :P ;) Of course, there are several other (new to me) bands I've listened to and enjoyed a great deal this year (Ghost, Grand Magus, In Solitude & Helheim to name a few), but Kvelertak and Wardruna really stand out for me. Not really black metal I suppose, yet there is the Gaahl connection in the case of Wardruna and Kvelertak is a hybrid of sorts.

Kvelertak: Blodtørst http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7sIqyoRFiU
    Wardruna: Bjarkan - Live at the Viking Ship Museum, Oslo, Norway (was there in 2010 - the museum, that is - not the gig - loved it) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKMDcTne ... re=related
    Wardruna: Kauna (Live at Incubate 2009) http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=jMV78a-G5xY
    soundcurve
    Chief Petty Officer

by soundcurve » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:45 am

Laura wrote:Mike - I get your thoughts about "catchy" - I think that's why I love Kvelertak so much - some of the catchiest music I've heard in ages. Btw - I agree with your comments about the Inquisition album - that's a great one and the guy even does a better Abbath voice than Abbath! ( ;) ) Funny that at some point I was talking about Mortuary Drape and you were talking about Inquisition on this thread and now they're touring together next month. So :cool:. You mentioned some of your recent favorite albums, and I'll add to that with a slightly different parameter...
    Kvelertak: Blodtørst http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7sIqyoRFiU

Yea I am glad our post on this thread made the Inquisition/ Mortuary Drape tour happen. :cool:

I been listen to Tolling 13 Knell more. The recording is not recorded well (I know, black metal but still. . . !)but I can see some of the potential. I bet it comes off better live.

Kvelertak I been meaning to get to. I listened to it once and it is pretty enjoyable just need to find a time when I am in the mood. Right now I been on a Ministry kick for whatever reason.
    soundcurve
    Chief Petty Officer

by soundcurve » Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:15 pm

SlaytanicE21 wrote:Sorry to break this to ya but uh... Mortuary Drape has cancelled their U.S. tour.

Bahhhhh Fuuuuck man. that sucks. :cry: I see the one show canceled in TX but I guess you saw it for the whole tour? That blows.. Oh well, thanks for the info even though bad. . .
  • Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:42 pm

The Reggie's site is still showing the Chicago gig - hope they don't cancel! Really looking forward to it as I've never seen either band...plus it's my only planned gig for December. *keeping fingers crossed*
  • Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:32 pm

Well, now it's official....just received this in my email today from Ticketfly:

Hello,

Mortuary Drape will no longer be performing at Reggies Rock Club on December 13. Inquisition will now be headlining with one band TBA. The cost of the show has been changed to $15.

Bad and good news - was really looking forward to seeing Mortuary Drape since I missed them at HITS - oh well, at least Inquisition is still playing and I'll go to that since I really like their new album...Ominous Doctrines of the Perpetual Mystical Macrocosm. Mike - just looked at their discography - are there others you are familiar with and would highly recommend? Also - a side note - didn't realize till today that even though they originally hail from Colombia, they've been in Seattle awhile now so it seems.
    soundcurve
    Chief Petty Officer

by soundcurve » Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:57 pm

Laura wrote:Well, now it's official....just received this in my email today from Ticketfly:

Hello,

Mortuary Drape will no longer be performing at Reggies Rock Club on December 13. Inquisition will now be headlining with one band TBA. The cost of the show has been changed to $15.

Bad and good news - was really looking forward to seeing Mortuary Drape since I missed them at HITS - oh well, at least Inquisition is still playing and I'll go to that since I really like their new album...Ominous Doctrines of the Perpetual Mystical Macrocosm. Mike - just looked at their discography - are there others you are familiar with and would highly recommend? Also - a side note - didn't realize till today that even though they originally hail from Colombia, they've been in Seattle awhile now so it seems.

Hope this is the case with sonar. They are having some hommie fest the same night so not sure. They tend to double book their rooms. As for another album "Nefarious Dismal Orations" is a good bet. Though I still would say Ominous Doctrines of the Perpetual Mystical Macrocosm is their best. The older album sound quality is rough and their aren't as defined and structured riff-age as Ominous.

Ancient Monumental War Hymn - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mgv85uBEfVA
    Strike of the Morning Star http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oVD2TJNpJ0

It is the album opener and is pretty catchy. But the mix isn't nearly as aggressive as Omnious though live it should be good. I feel this album started in the path to the Omnious :bmhorns: which to me is great.
    Last edited by soundcurve on Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
    soundcurve
    Chief Petty Officer

by soundcurve » Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:18 pm

On another note: found this Hideous Gnosis: Black Metal Theory Symposium I that might be good read (or laugh?), I'll give it a go tonight though fear it may be a bit too academic for its own good, but who knows!

http://www.amazon.com/Hideous-Gnosis-Bl ... pd_sim_b_6

Scope it free here: http://www.radicalmatters.com/metasound ... sium.I.pdf
    soundcurve
    Chief Petty Officer

by soundcurve » Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:43 pm

Laura wrote:Kvelertak: Blodtørst http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7sIqyoRFiU
    Wardruna: Bjarkan - Live at the Viking Ship Museum, Oslo, Norway (was there in 2010 - the museum, that is - not the gig - loved it) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKMDcTne ... re=related
    Wardruna: Kauna (Live at Incubate 2009) http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=jMV78a-G5xY

Gave Kvelertak a shot today and it reminds me a lot of old Turbonegro. Still good and catchy. Seems the sonar gig is on and they might add someone.
  • Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:40 pm

soundcurve wrote:On another note: found this Hideous Gnosis: Black Metal Theory Symposium I that might be good read (or laugh?), I'll give it a go tonight though fear it may be a bit too academic for its own good, but who knows!

http://www.amazon.com/Hideous-Gnosis-Bl ... pd_sim_b_6

Scope it free here: http://www.radicalmatters.com/metasound ... sium.I.pdf

Thanks so much for posting this link Mike - I skimmed through about the first 80 pages last night - super academic-speak of course, but I've enjoyed it so far. The writing and thinking style is like so much of the art and aesthetics theory I read and wrote about in grad school in the 90s...I mean, these writers are quoting the likes of Hegel, Barthes, Nietzsche, Derrida, Schelling, Goethe, Kierkegaard, and Bataille when discussing black metal. :ugeek: :cool: I suppose some people might find it completely ridiculous (and I must say I chuckled a bit here and there when reading it) - but it proves one point to me that I've felt from the get go about the genre (and partly why it appeals to me so much) - that (overall), black metal has more depth and complexity (especially from a symbolic and performance point of view imo) than any other metal genre. Later on, I'm going to google some of those authors - curious to know more about who they are.

....ok...looked up one of the authors so far (wow - what an impressive education - I feel somewhat lowly with only two masters degrees :lol: ):

Nicola Masciandaro
    Associate Professor (Brooklyn College)
    Department: English

Education:
    Ph.D., Yale University - 2002 (Medieval Studies)

M.Phil., Yale University - 1999 (Medieval Studies)

M.A., Yale University - 1998 (Medieval Studies)

M.A., University of Connecticut - 1996 (English Literature)

B.A., University of Washington - 1992 (English Literature)
  • Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:50 am

Looked up this New York Times article this morning on the Black Metal Symposium brought up by Mike...(funny article title I think)

December 15, 2009
    Thank You, Professor, That Was Putrid By BEN RATLIFF

The bald, beefy moderator, Niall Scott of the University of Central Lancashire, approached the podium in darkness. “It is my revolting pleasure,” he susurrated, pulling on his long goatee, “to introduce Professor Erik Butler, who will present his paper ‘The Counter-Reformation in Stone and Metal: Spiritual Substances.’ ”

And Mr. Butler, an assistant professor of German studies at Emory University, talked about black-metal music — in its second-wave, largely Norwegian form — as a cryptic expression of Roman Catholicism. He started with the 16th-century Council of Trent and the early modern church. He quoted lyrics from the face-painted, early-1990s Norwegian black-metal bands Gorgoroth and Immortal; he framed black metal as respecting some of rock’s orthodoxies, as opposed to the heresies of disco and punk; and he spoke of black metal’s preoccupation with “the abiding and transcendent: stone, mountain, moon.”

You can imagine several orders of hostility toward “Hideous Gnosis,” a six-hour theory symposium on black-metal music that commenced on Saturday afternoon at Public Assembly, a bar and nightclub in Williamsburg, Brooklyn. Not just because plenty of people like to make fun of academics discoursing on youth culture but because the subject was something like the music that dare not speak its name.

Black metal, which has been a self-conscious genre since the early 1990s — with a prehistory in some ’80s metal bands — remains metal’s most underground subspecies. (Black refers to a bleak outlook on life.) Musically it’s all scoured howls, nonsyncopated blast-beat drums, and cold, trebly guitars. It sounds like it’s rotting, and that’s the point: black metal represents decay, radical individualism, misanthropy, negativity about all systems, and awe of the natural world. (Death metal, on the other hand, is more proactive, body-centered and psyched about gore.)

“The purest black-metal artist is one who’s unknown and inaccessible,” said Nicola Masciandaro, a professor of medieval literature at Brooklyn College who organized the six-hour event.

In a way, black metal runs on a very old cultural motor: loss of faith, and the hysterical fear and sadness that come with it. But it has become one of rock’s best modes of resistance, which is why it persists, why recent books and films about it have found an audience (like Peter Beste’s photo essay “True Norwegian Black Metal” and the documentary “Until the Light Takes Us”) and why it has inspired a new American wave of bands, including Nachtmystium, Krallice, Wolves in the Throne Room and Liturgy.

Even as the Americans bend black metal far away from tribalism, violence or antireligious malevolence (some Norwegian black-metal musicians became notorious for murder and church burnings) and toward something more Whitman-esque, it remains ingrown. Some of its practitioners — like the Americans Xasthur and Leviathan — make records but will not perform or, in Leviathan’s case, give interviews. Talking about black metal in certain quarters seems deeply lame.

One commenter on the online-forum page of the metal magazine Decibel summed up a certain kind of black-metal fan’s attitude toward the symposium. This music, the contributor wrote, “has nothing to do with being intellectual and everything to do with not wanting to try and break every little thing apart” for analysis.

“There’s lots of resentment toward a sensible discourse around black metal,” said Mr. Masciandaro in an interview. “There’s also lots of dissent and difference around what black metal is. Its center of gravity is an essential negativity, an idea of some remainder, something that cannot be reduced.” He was inspired to organize the symposium, he said, by the conference on heavy metal, held last year in Salzburg, Austria, organized by Mr. Scott. He was there and wanted to create a more specific event. He chose a club with a bar as the setting, rather than a university, figuring it would be more “ludic.”

Was the afternoon humorous, ridiculous or at least ludic? Not really. (It could have used a few more dozen spectators and a temperature boost of about 15 degrees.) To the contrary, it felt necessary. Despite what black-metal musicians might proclaim — Ovskum, an Italian singer and guitarist, was quoted in one of the symposium’s lectures as saying, “my music does not come from a philosophy but from a precritical compulsion” — their work is basically philosophy. It is theoretical, a grid for looking at life, with ancient roots. It could use a critical apparatus, and though the afternoon’s many citings of Continental philosophers like Lacan, Derrida and Bataille might have seemed ludicrously distant to the practice of black metal, such writings relate to the subgenre’s big subjects: death and time.

Mr. Masciandaro’s lecture, “Anti-Cosmosis: Black Mahapralaya,” dealt with ideas of cosmic evolution and annihilation in black metal. In “Perpetual Rot: Obsessive Cycles of Deterioration,” Joseph Russo talked about, um, rot, and the “liminal death-space” in the work of Xasthur. Brandon Stosuy, a Brooklyn music critic, read from his oral history in progress of American black metal: a welcome demystification, cast in normal-dude voices.

“Transcendental Black Metal,” a lecture by Hunter Hunt-Hendrix, the young singer and guitarist of the Brooklyn band Liturgy, gave the Nordic black-metal tradition a stern challenge, and amounted to an artistic manifesto for his own band. He discussed how America represents “dignity, freedom, renewal and hybridization,” and suggested that these qualities could be represented in a new form of black metal. He proposed a new rhythm to replace the blast beat: the “burst beat,” by which rhythm can contract and expand in time, as in free jazz. He cited Aaron Copland’s “Appalachian Spring” and Ornette Coleman’s “Skies of America” as philosophical models, with their “joyful experience of the continuity of existence.” He talked of “life and hypertrophy” replacing “death and atrophy,” and in his own way he was as nonnegotiable as Ovskum: “Our affirmation is a refusal to deny.”

During a Q. and A. period Mr. Hunt-Hendrix was challenged by Scott Wilson, a professor from Lancaster University, who, like Mr. Scott, had traveled from England to attend the conference. Mr. Wilson wondered, skeptically, if transcendentalist black metal just boiled down to “all you need is love.”

“I’m not so interested in defending anything I say,” Mr. Hunt-Hendrix replied. “I only like to be judged on whether it’s interesting or not.”

But perhaps the day’s most profound lecture came from Mr. Scott, who spoke in priestly cadences about black metal as part of the ritual of confession.

“The black metal event is a confession without need of absolution, without need of redemption,” he said. It is, he added, “a cleaning up of the mess of others.” He invoked the old English tradition of sin eating by means of burial cakes, in which a loaf of bread was put on a funeral bier or a corpse, and a paid member of the community would eat the bread, representing sin, to absolve and comfort the deceased.

“Black metal has become the sin eater,” he intoned. “It is engaged in transgressive behavior to be rid of it.”
    Bentz!
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Bentz! » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:41 am

soundcurve wrote:Gave Kvelertak a shot today and it reminds me a lot of old Turbonegro. Still good and catchy.

That's exactly what I think of as well when listening to Kvelertak. A bit more "darkness" overall, but otherwise it could have been Apocalypse Dudes redux.
  • Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:33 am

Just tried to play those Inquisition links from a few posts earlier, and they're not playing on my phone atm - so I'll try again later on the home computer.

Re - Kvelertak - not sure entirely why I'm *so nuts* over their debut album - all I know is that from the first time I heard it, I was really blown away by it - don't know the bands you guys mentioned, so can't compare - but to my ears they sound very fresh, but yet with the same high level of energy and excitement :headbanger: of some of my VERY favorite bands from long ago (namely The Ramones and The Sex Pistols whoI know I'm guilty of bringing up a lot. :P ) In short, music that makes me want to dance & thrash around all crazy - which I do primarily at home when no one's around. :lol: Loved their live show so much too - unfortunately it was just 2 nights before Opeth which was really bad timing in a way - it was hard coming down from the pit scene high at Kvelertak in a very small venue to the mellow Opeth scene. Don't get me wrong, I still enjoyed Opeth, just would have been better if the gig dates were reversed.

One last thing - I really love Erlind's voice - again, not exactly sure why - there's just something about the quality, tone, whatever you want to call it, that is really appealing to me. :D
    soundcurve
    Chief Petty Officer

by soundcurve » Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:38 pm

Re: Turbonegro

Here is a link to my fave turbonegro song:

Ride with Us: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6zusV1Yk9Q

Keepin it BM, here is a popular one that two BM bands you dig cover:

I Got Erection: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gxpAR6LReA

Satyricon (and I think Behemoth cover it too) cover of I got Erection: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoRyo-lZ ... re=related

They are a tongue and cheek kinda band, but write some really catchy tunes if you are into that kinda punk rock. I enjoy them :beerwink:
    soundcurve
    Chief Petty Officer

by soundcurve » Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:49 pm

Laura wrote:....ok...looked up one of the authors so far (wow - what an impressive education - I feel somewhat lowly with only two masters degrees :lol: ):

Nicola Masciandaro

Education:

Haha, that dude is a professional student. I am 3 credits away from a M.S. in Computer Science Field and that is more than enough for me. :lol: (BTW - Grats on your degrees!) Been taking my sweet time on mine though with work and enjoying life. I am already in my profession and have several certification hoops I've jumped through so this is just icing. I still need to read that book though, this weekend ended up being party-time. Luckily I get the end of this week off for the Turkey slaughter! :twisted:
  • Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:48 pm

soundcurve wrote:
    Laura wrote:....ok...looked up one of the authors so far (wow - what an impressive education - I feel somewhat lowly with only two masters degrees :lol: ):

Nicola Masciandaro

Education:

Haha, that dude is a professional student. I am 3 credits away from a M.S. in Computer Science Field and that is more than enough for me. :lol: (BTW - Grats on your degrees!) Been taking my sweet time on mine though with work and enjoying life. I am already in my profession and have several certification hoops I've jumped through so this is just icing. I still need to read that book though, this weekend ended up being party-time. Luckily I get the end of this week off for the Turkey slaughter! :twisted:

Yes, indeed (although, in all fairness, he is a professor at Brooklyn College)....and it seems at least a few of the others who presented at that Black Metal Symposium have similar credentials. Wonders never cease really. ;) Black metal discussed in academic speak - but, as I alluded to earlier, it does not surprise me. Today, I did some general searches for black metal in the music periodical indexes we subscribe to at the library where I work, and I came across a good review in Wire magazine (we subscribe to this as well - http://www.thewire.co.uk/) of the book Hideous Gnosis. A few interesting lines in the review include "Yet Black Metal as a genre is saturated in metaphysics," and "It isn't exactly a stretch to connect Xasthur, Burzum or Wolves in the Throne Room with the dark, inhuman philosophies of Bataille, Kierkegaard, Schopenhauer, Schelling and younger theorists like the gnomic metaphysician of decay, Reza Negarestani."

I realize that the writings of these academic types seems overwrought and perhaps even silly to many (or most?) people - but as I said earlier, I think there is a place for it and I enjoy it very much personally...primarily because I completely immersed myself in that type of thing (but for the visual arts) when I did my grad degree in art and architecture history. Had I not decided when I was done to go for a motherhood :D degree next, I would have continued in the PhD program. Who knows, I may still do that when both kids are college age six years from now.

Congrats on nearing the end of your CS degree....it's nice to take time with these things I think (took me nearly 4 years to complete my history degree), especially if you're working and trying to do lots of other things at the same time (i.e. enjoy life). :cheers:

I'm liking Turbonegro btw...ha, yet another good band from Norway. ;)

And on the general "catchy music" subject - listened to one of my favorite albums from the 90s today - Smash! by The Offspring...was really digging the song Genocide, although there are so many other great songs.
    Genocide: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhYgeGT_vcU
    Something to Believe In: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sK_gDmwe ... re=related
    ...and of course Self Esteem: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeWjzBHUdsI
    nekrobarr
    Ensign

by nekrobarr » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:30 pm

Haha, The Offspring...
    Laura, you just made me think of Norther's cover of the title track from Smash

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hm3DzHOmSDs
    13-time Survivor
    I <3 Funeral Doom

Wishlist (First Timers):
    AeonianSorrow-/-Ahab-/-Arcturus-/-Arð-/-Avantasia-/-BalSagoth-/-BarrenEarth-/-Battlelore-/-Borknagar-/-Clouds-/-Crematory-/-DaylightDies-/-Doomed-/-Dordeduh-/-EternalTearsOfSorrow-/-Evoken-/-FatesWarning-/-ForgottenTomb-/-Funeral-/-GhostBrigade-/-Godthrymm-/-Graveworm-/-HellLight-/-Konvent-/-Krypts-/-Kuolemanlaakso-/-LacrimasProfundere-/-LightFieldReverie-/-Loss-/-TheManEatingTree-/-MarianasRest-/-Monolithe-/-TheMorningside-/-MournfulCongregation-/-Ophis-/-Pantheist-/-Poisonblack-/-Primordial-/-RedMoonArchitect-/-Remembrance-/-Runemagick-/-Sahg-/-Saille-/-Saturnus-/-SeventhVoid-/-ShapeOfDespair-/-Skepticism-/-Sojourner-/-Strigoi-/-TempleOfVoid-/-TombOfFinland-/-Triptykon-/-WhenNothingRemains-/-Winterfylleth-/-WoeUntoMe-/-WolvesInTheThroneRoom-/-Wormwood

Wishlist (Repeats):
    Ajattara-/-Bloodbath-/-Candlemass-/-DeathAngel-/-Enslaved-/-Evergrey-/-InVain-/-Kalmah-/-Kampfar-/-MajesticDownfall-/-Moonsorow-/-Moonspell-/-Månegarm-/-NovembersDoom-/-OctoberTide-/-ParadiseLost-/-Septicflesh-/-SwallowTheSun-/-Thyrfing-/-Tiamat-/-Vreid
  • Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:44 pm

nekrobarr wrote:Haha, The Offspring...
    Laura, you just made me think of Norther's cover of the title track from Smash

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hm3DzHOmSDs

Ha - I seem to remember a conversation we had about the Offspring in person - you are (or were a fan eh!). I think they played some big venue in Chicago in the past year or so - shoulda gone really. Guess I've been too spoiled with the small venue (and relatively cheap!) metal gigs at Bottom Lounge, Reggie's, and the like.
Post Reply 644 posts