Post Reply 644 posts
Black Metal
    nekrobarr
    Ensign

Re: Black Metal

by nekrobarr » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:48 pm

Laura wrote:
    nekrobarr wrote:Haha, The Offspring...
    Laura, you just made me think of Norther's cover of the title track from Smash

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hm3DzHOmSDs

Ha - I seem to remember a conversation we had about the Offspring in person - you are (or were a fan eh!). I think they played some big venue in Chicago in the past year or so - shoulda gone really. Guess I've been too spoiled with the small venue (and relatively cheap!) metal gigs at Bottom Lounge, Reggie's, and the like.

Yeah, I was a fan, way long long long ago when I was first really getting into music. I guess they still hold some nostalgic value for me, but I can't say I listen to them regularly at all. Too much metal to listen to!
    13-time Survivor
    I <3 Funeral Doom

Wishlist (First Timers):
    AeonianSorrow-/-Ahab-/-Arcturus-/-Arð-/-Avantasia-/-BalSagoth-/-BarrenEarth-/-Battlelore-/-Borknagar-/-Clouds-/-Crematory-/-DaylightDies-/-Doomed-/-Dordeduh-/-EternalTearsOfSorrow-/-Evoken-/-FatesWarning-/-ForgottenTomb-/-Funeral-/-GhostBrigade-/-Godthrymm-/-Graveworm-/-HellLight-/-Konvent-/-Krypts-/-Kuolemanlaakso-/-LacrimasProfundere-/-LightFieldReverie-/-Loss-/-TheManEatingTree-/-MarianasRest-/-Monolithe-/-TheMorningside-/-MournfulCongregation-/-Ophis-/-Pantheist-/-Poisonblack-/-Primordial-/-RedMoonArchitect-/-Remembrance-/-Runemagick-/-Sahg-/-Saille-/-Saturnus-/-SeventhVoid-/-ShapeOfDespair-/-Skepticism-/-Sojourner-/-Strigoi-/-TempleOfVoid-/-TombOfFinland-/-Triptykon-/-WhenNothingRemains-/-Winterfylleth-/-WoeUntoMe-/-WolvesInTheThroneRoom-/-Wormwood

Wishlist (Repeats):
    Ajattara-/-Bloodbath-/-Candlemass-/-DeathAngel-/-Enslaved-/-Evergrey-/-InVain-/-Kalmah-/-Kampfar-/-MajesticDownfall-/-Moonsorow-/-Moonspell-/-Månegarm-/-NovembersDoom-/-OctoberTide-/-ParadiseLost-/-Septicflesh-/-SwallowTheSun-/-Thyrfing-/-Tiamat-/-Vreid
  • Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:52 am

^^^ I don't listen to The Offspring *regularly* anymore either - but they came to my mind yesterday when thinking of really upbeat catchy music. Really LOVE that album Smash in particular (listened to the whole thing yesterday in fact) - I remember buying that cd when it came out cause a few of the songs that I liked a lot were getting a lot of radio play. (wow - the pre-Internet age!!) Can't believe that it came out 17 years ago! Almost ancient history to some here I suspect. ;)

I agree with your too much metal to listen to comment. The majority (although certainly not all) of what I've listened to in the past several years has been metal...partly because I arrived relatively (fashionably? :lol: ) late to the metal "party" and I have a lot of "catching up" to do - in particular the black metal party. ;) :beerhorns: And what a fantastic party it is! :cool: (better late than never is one of my mottos though).

This thread has been great for learning about new (to me) bands. :heavydrink: all!
    2009-Wacken-2010-Wacken-2011-70K-Lollapalooza-HoleInTheSky-2012-70K-ColdWaves-2013-Lollapalooza-ColdWaves-2014-ProgNationAtSea-Pitchfork-RiotFest-ColdWaves-2015-RockLegendsCruise-CruiseToTheEdge-2016-ChicagoOpenAir-2017-70K!!
    nekrobarr
    Ensign

by nekrobarr » Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:52 pm

:heavydrink: :heavydrink: :heavydrink:
    13-time Survivor
    I <3 Funeral Doom

Wishlist (First Timers):
    AeonianSorrow-/-Ahab-/-Arcturus-/-Arð-/-Avantasia-/-BalSagoth-/-BarrenEarth-/-Battlelore-/-Borknagar-/-Clouds-/-Crematory-/-DaylightDies-/-Doomed-/-Dordeduh-/-EternalTearsOfSorrow-/-Evoken-/-FatesWarning-/-ForgottenTomb-/-Funeral-/-GhostBrigade-/-Godthrymm-/-Graveworm-/-HellLight-/-Konvent-/-Krypts-/-Kuolemanlaakso-/-LacrimasProfundere-/-LightFieldReverie-/-Loss-/-TheManEatingTree-/-MarianasRest-/-Monolithe-/-TheMorningside-/-MournfulCongregation-/-Ophis-/-Pantheist-/-Poisonblack-/-Primordial-/-RedMoonArchitect-/-Remembrance-/-Runemagick-/-Sahg-/-Saille-/-Saturnus-/-SeventhVoid-/-ShapeOfDespair-/-Skepticism-/-Sojourner-/-Strigoi-/-TempleOfVoid-/-TombOfFinland-/-Triptykon-/-WhenNothingRemains-/-Winterfylleth-/-WoeUntoMe-/-WolvesInTheThroneRoom-/-Wormwood

Wishlist (Repeats):
    Ajattara-/-Bloodbath-/-Candlemass-/-DeathAngel-/-Enslaved-/-Evergrey-/-InVain-/-Kalmah-/-Kampfar-/-MajesticDownfall-/-Moonsorow-/-Moonspell-/-Månegarm-/-NovembersDoom-/-OctoberTide-/-ParadiseLost-/-Septicflesh-/-SwallowTheSun-/-Thyrfing-/-Tiamat-/-Vreid
    soundcurve
    Chief Petty Officer

by soundcurve » Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:09 pm

Re: Offsprings

^^^ WTF guys? :lol: j/k

I'll let you guys reminisce on that. The only song I recall not flipping off quickly on MTV (They played the "gotta keep em separated" song nonstop) was that song "Gone Away" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=numCZoBFcv4&ob=av2e

Was a bit more "Gothic" and Paradise Lost (their sound then) at the time and enjoyed it. Granted I don't believe it is on the CD you guys like. (a side note, my wife walks in and said this song is annoying :roll: - sry let me put on some non-stop salsa action! uhg!)
  • Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:20 am

^^^ hope you enjoyed the salsa :P - I suppose you could always play the old "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em routine" and learn to be a wicked salsa dancer or something, a la a routine on Dancing With the Stars. :cool: :P (where's Kevin's favorite dance boy smilie when I need it. :mrgreen: )

Aaahhh yes, The Offspring....
    Matt - like that Norther cover of Smash! Had not heard it before. :headbanger:
    Mike - that song you linked is a good one too from a few years after Smash came out.

Sorry for the Offspring derail on the bm thread... :oops: :lol:
    Speaking of which, about to pack up the offspring and the dog to go to my sister's house for Thanksgiving....Happy Turkey Day everyone! :cheers: Tomorrow I'll be back at work and am on a mission to finally listen to some God Dethroned and some other cruise bands I'm not familiar with.
    :cheers:
    2009-Wacken-2010-Wacken-2011-70K-Lollapalooza-HoleInTheSky-2012-70K-ColdWaves-2013-Lollapalooza-ColdWaves-2014-ProgNationAtSea-Pitchfork-RiotFest-ColdWaves-2015-RockLegendsCruise-CruiseToTheEdge-2016-ChicagoOpenAir-2017-70K!!
  • KevinP
    Commander

by KevinP » Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:27 am

(where's Kevin's favorite dance boy smilie when I need it. :mrgreen: )[/quote]

My hard drive crashed, so I'm starting from scratch and lost all my prior bookmarks/links :cry:

So best find a previous post with it and copy the link :mrgreen:
    WISHLIST

BOLT THROWER / MADDER MORTEM / SEAR BLISS / AEON / THE AMENTA / AUTOPSY / MDB / THE 11th HOUR / HAIL OF BULLETS / DORDEDUH / TRIPTYKON / NE OBLIVISCARIS / PORTAL

The Sultan of Stroopwafels
    The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:29 am

KevinP wrote:
    Laura wrote:(where's Kevin's favorite dance boy smilie when I need it. :mrgreen: )

My hard drive crashed, so I'm starting from scratch and lost all my prior bookmarks/links :cry:

So best find a previous post with it and copy the link :mrgreen:

Here ya go Image
    I should get around to updating my signature
  • KevinP
    Commander

by KevinP » Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:58 am

WISHLIST

BOLT THROWER / MADDER MORTEM / SEAR BLISS / AEON / THE AMENTA / AUTOPSY / MDB / THE 11th HOUR / HAIL OF BULLETS / DORDEDUH / TRIPTYKON / NE OBLIVISCARIS / PORTAL

The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
    Tyr
    Chief Petty Officer

by Tyr » Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:10 am

Black metal isn't really metal
    :givebeer:
    :viking:
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:15 am

Tyr wrote:Black metal isn't really metal

I don't agree with you but I'm going to back you up anyways.
    There have been a few "false" forms of metal come out since it's inception. Hair metal, Grunge, Nu Metal, Metalcore. What do all of these have in common? They are more about the image than the music. I think there are many black metal bands that this is true for as well. Mind you, there are also the ones that are more about the music and there is always a certain level of theatrics in metal. You could also say that about any subgenre of metal, that there are some bands that are obsessed with their image, rather than focussing on the music itself. This is just my 2 cents.
    [discuss topic=that]
    Go.
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band
    www.facebook.com/Apprenticemetal

I run a festival
    https://www.facebook.com/events/2854966994515383
    Tyr
    Chief Petty Officer

by Tyr » Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:20 am

Stained Class wrote:

There have been a few "false" forms of metal come out since it's inception. Hair metal, Grunge, Nu Metal, Metalcore. What do all of these have in common? They are more about the image than the music. I think there are many black metal bands that this is true for as well. Mind you, there are also the ones that are more about the music and there is always a certain level of theatrics in metal. You could also say that about any subgenre of metal, that there are some bands that are obsessed with their image, rather than focussing on the music itself. This is just my 2 cents.
    [discuss topic=that]
    Go.

Come on man, i am Norwegian, I was just talking shit :lol:
    I don't listen much to it, but I gotta support our main export next to oil,
    which also is black.
    :givebeer: :viking:
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:42 am

Tyr wrote:
    Stained Class wrote:

[discuss topic=that]
    Go.

Come on man, i am Norwegian, I was just talking shit :lol:
    which also is black.

Well, I think it's an interesting discussion anyways.
    Blacker than the blackest black times infinity?
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band

I run a festival
  • KevinP
    Commander

by KevinP » Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:58 am

Tyr wrote:Come on man, i am Norwegian, I was just talking shit :lol:
    which also is black.

As a Norwegian it's your duty to pimp MADDER MORTEM, your country's best export, if only more idiots knew about them :twisted:
    WISHLIST

The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
    Goddess of Metal
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Goddess of Metal » Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:59 am

I was having my morning smoothie and found this awesome video! :beerhorns:
    Seems all I am missing from my morning smoothie making ritual is the skull for the top of my Vitamix and a crazy straw! LOL!! This song fucking rules and the lyrics are hysterical!!

http://www.metalinjection.net/tv/view/8 ... ie-alchemy
    A.K.A Margie Metalho

2024 - Deck 7
    2019 - Deck 7
    2018 - Deck 6
    2017 - Deck 6
    2016 - Deck 6
    2015 - Deck 7
    2014 - Deck 2
    2013 - Deck 2
    2012 - Deck 2 on Barge
    2012 - Deck 2
    2011 - Deck.3

Wishlist:
    Abbath-/-Agalloch-/-Allen–Lande-/-Alestorm-/-Ancient.Bards-/-Angel.Dust-/-Angra-/-Arcturus-/-Avantasia-/-Axenstar-/-Beast.in.Black-/-Battle.Beast-/-Blind.Guardian-/-Borknagar-/-Cain’s.Offering-/-Conception-/-Cruachan-/-Dark.Moor-/-Devin.Townsend-/-Dragonland-/-Dimmu.Borgir-/-Dream.Evil-/-Elvenking-/-Equilibrium-/-Fairyland-/-Finntroll-/-Fleshgod.Apocalypse-/-Freak.Kitchen-/-Ghost-/-Gloryhammer-/-Grailknights-/-Gwydion-/-Haken-/-Haggard-/-Heidevolk-/-Helloween-/-In.Extremo-/-Kamelot-/-Masterplan-/-Mayan-/-Metsatöll-/-Mob.Rules-/-Myrath-/-Nanowar.of.Steel-/-Opeth-/-Orden.Ogan-/-Pagan’s.Mind-/-Pain.of.Salvation-/-Powerwolf-/-Rhapsody-/-Rhapsody.of.Fire-/-Riot.V-/-Running.Wild-/-Sabaton-/-Saint.Deamon-/-Samael-/-Saor-/-Savatage-/-SepticFlesh-/-Serenity-/-Stratovarius-/-Sunburst-/-Symphony.X-/-The.Gentle.Storm-/-Therion-/-The.Night.Flight.Orchestra-/-Threshold-/-Twilight.Force-/-Voodoo.Circle-/-Voyager-/-Warkings-/-Wind.Rose-/-Wintersun-/-Zebra
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:14 am

KevinP wrote:
    which also is black.

As a Norwegian it's your duty to pimp MADDER MORTEM, your country's best export, if only more idiots knew about them :twisted:

+1 Norway actually has a fucking amazing prog scene that noone knows about cus of the overshadowing black metal scene. Madder Mortem, Pagan's Mind, Leprous, Circus Maximus, Spiral Architect, all amazing bands. Kevin wouldn't be crazy about all of them but still.
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band

I run a festival
    Tyr
    Chief Petty Officer

by Tyr » Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:38 pm

Stained Class wrote:
    KevinP wrote:
    which also is black.

+1 Norway actually has a fucking amazing prog scene that noone knows about cus of the overshadowing black metal scene. Madder Mortem, Pagan's Mind, Leprous, Circus Maximus, Spiral Architect, all amazing bands. Kevin wouldn't be crazy about all of them but still.

Leprous is quite good, but the other ones are not to my taste

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtOb0sYm0qg

mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:37 pm

Stained Class wrote:
    KevinP wrote:
    which also is black.

I love Circus Maximus
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:09 pm

Definitely gonna have to keep my eye on this project. Sounds like it could be really, really good.

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=166548
    Goddess of Metal
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Goddess of Metal » Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:55 pm

Another gem...

The Black Satans - The Satanic Darkness :beerhorns: :bmhorns:
    http://youtu.be/Nh8CfWEnSJ8
    A.K.A Margie Metalho

2024 - Deck 7
    2019 - Deck 7
    2018 - Deck 6
    2017 - Deck 6
    2016 - Deck 6
    2015 - Deck 7
    2014 - Deck 2
    2013 - Deck 2
    2012 - Deck 2 on Barge
    2012 - Deck 2
    2011 - Deck.3

Wishlist:
    Abbath-/-Agalloch-/-Allen–Lande-/-Alestorm-/-Ancient.Bards-/-Angel.Dust-/-Angra-/-Arcturus-/-Avantasia-/-Axenstar-/-Beast.in.Black-/-Battle.Beast-/-Blind.Guardian-/-Borknagar-/-Cain’s.Offering-/-Conception-/-Cruachan-/-Dark.Moor-/-Devin.Townsend-/-Dragonland-/-Dimmu.Borgir-/-Dream.Evil-/-Elvenking-/-Equilibrium-/-Fairyland-/-Finntroll-/-Fleshgod.Apocalypse-/-Freak.Kitchen-/-Ghost-/-Gloryhammer-/-Grailknights-/-Gwydion-/-Haken-/-Haggard-/-Heidevolk-/-Helloween-/-In.Extremo-/-Kamelot-/-Masterplan-/-Mayan-/-Metsatöll-/-Mob.Rules-/-Myrath-/-Nanowar.of.Steel-/-Opeth-/-Orden.Ogan-/-Pagan’s.Mind-/-Pain.of.Salvation-/-Powerwolf-/-Rhapsody-/-Rhapsody.of.Fire-/-Riot.V-/-Running.Wild-/-Sabaton-/-Saint.Deamon-/-Samael-/-Saor-/-Savatage-/-SepticFlesh-/-Serenity-/-Stratovarius-/-Sunburst-/-Symphony.X-/-The.Gentle.Storm-/-Therion-/-The.Night.Flight.Orchestra-/-Threshold-/-Twilight.Force-/-Voodoo.Circle-/-Voyager-/-Warkings-/-Wind.Rose-/-Wintersun-/-Zebra
  • Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:27 pm

Goddess of Metal wrote:Another gem...

oh - man, that is baaaaad! :lol: Like your Vegan chef link too. If any of you folks missed this link from ElementOs on the Lowering the Bar thread - check out Semargl (satanic pop metal) - I have watched this about a half dozen times now - it seriously makes me laugh out loud! - the lead singer's dance moves are PRICELESS!!!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNypkbtv-ig

Oh geez - I gotta turn that off - it's killin' me. :lol: :bmhorns:
    Goddess of Metal
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Goddess of Metal » Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:46 pm

Laura wrote:

oh - man, that is baaaaad! :lol: Like your Vegan chef link too. If any of you folks missed this link from ElementOs on the Lowering the Bar thread - check out Semargl (satanic pop metal) - I have watched this about a half dozen times now - it seriously makes me laugh out loud! - the lead singer's dance moves are PRICELESS!!!

I love how The Black Satan's video turns all Grateful Dead sounding at the end!!! Both videos are funny as hell!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
    A.K.A Margie Metalho

2024 - Deck 7
    2019 - Deck 7
    2018 - Deck 6
    2017 - Deck 6
    2016 - Deck 6
    2015 - Deck 7
    2014 - Deck 2
    2013 - Deck 2
    2012 - Deck 2 on Barge
    2012 - Deck 2
    2011 - Deck.3

Wishlist:
    Goddess of Metal
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Goddess of Metal » Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:49 pm

mooyagi wrote:Definitely gonna have to keep my eye on this project. Sounds like it could be really, really good.

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=166548

I agree! I like when he wrote...Mr. Vortex :lol:
    A.K.A Margie Metalho

2024 - Deck 7
    2019 - Deck 7
    2018 - Deck 6
    2017 - Deck 6
    2016 - Deck 6
    2015 - Deck 7
    2014 - Deck 2
    2013 - Deck 2
    2012 - Deck 2 on Barge
    2012 - Deck 2
    2011 - Deck.3

Wishlist:
    Goddess of Metal
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Goddess of Metal » Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:07 pm

hehe!! :D

A.K.A Margie Metalho

2024 - Deck 7
    2019 - Deck 7
    2018 - Deck 6
    2017 - Deck 6
    2016 - Deck 6
    2015 - Deck 7
    2014 - Deck 2
    2013 - Deck 2
    2012 - Deck 2 on Barge
    2012 - Deck 2
    2011 - Deck.3

Wishlist:
    soundcurve
    Chief Petty Officer

by soundcurve » Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:11 pm

Excellent show last night and probably my last before 70K (Please add some more good black metal!!!!) unless I hit up Blood Ceremony in D.C. (and Ghost, meh - Listen to The Devil's Blood!). Lot of openers but once Inquisition came on it was worth the wait. Picked up the kinda out of print "Nefarious Dismal Orations" and a nice blasphemes T-shirt. Definitely a good feel after the show. A "leaving a black metal show feeling a part of my "soul" has been ripped out"-feel, which is perfect, haha. :death: The way one should feel after a good BM show.

Setlist was the same: http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/inquisiti ... 135b4.html

More into going for a show than for photos but here is one.

My only advice for you Laura (only fellow 70ker I know hitting this up, maybe EvilDan) is if you don't care for openers, pre-game for a while before hitting up the show. Doors opened 8pm and I don't believe Inquisition came on till midnight.
  • cycosurgeon
    Lieutenant

by cycosurgeon » Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:58 pm

Goddess of Metal wrote:hehe!! :D

Lol..you are so silly. Should have done the middle finger one upside down!
    2011: Cruise Survivor
    2012: Cruise & Forum Survivor

...So was Laura beside the chieftains
    like the bright-growing ash beside the thorn-bush...
    shaneos
    Chief Petty Officer

by shaneos » Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:12 pm

Goddess of Metal wrote:
    Laura wrote:

I love how The Black Satan's video turns all Grateful Dead sounding at the end!!! Both videos are funny as hell!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Another gem from the Black Satan's - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOibIxl3dLo
    Life would be tragic if it weren't funny.
  • Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:01 pm

soundcurve wrote:Excellent show last night and probably my last before 70K (Please add some more good black metal!!!!) unless I hit up Blood Ceremony in D.C. (and Ghost, meh - Listen to The Devil's Blood!). Lot of openers but once Inquisition came on it was worth the wait. Picked up the kinda out of print "Nefarious Dismal Orations" and a nice blasphemes T-shirt. Definitely a good feel after the show. A "leaving a black metal show feeling a part of my "soul" has been ripped out"-feel, which is perfect, haha. :death: The way one should feel after a good BM show.

Setlist was the same: http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/inquisiti ... 135b4.html

More into going for a show than for photos but here is one.

My only advice for you Laura (only fellow 70ker I know hitting this up, maybe EvilDan) is if you don't care for openers, pre-game for a while before hitting up the show. Doors opened 8pm and I don't believe Inquisition came on till midnight.

Thanks for the write-up Mike - really looking forward to the show here a week from tomorrow! I'll probably just go for Inquisition since I don't know the 2 opening bands listed so far on the Reggie's site - I usually call the day of the gig to find out when the set times are, and plan accordingly. Luckily, my day off of work that week is the day after since that's my last metal blow-out for 2011, and I can stay out late - yay! Hoping vaderite (who I hung out with at Doro and Danzig) will go as well.
    :beerhorns:
  • Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:11 pm

shaneos wrote:
    Goddess of Metal wrote:
    Laura wrote:

Another gem from the Black Satan's - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOibIxl3dLo

The Black Satans rule! :P (for a good laugh) I must admit I'm kinda seriously digging the Satanic Pop Metal (who knew? :P ) group Semargl. :shock: :oops: :beerwink:
    soundcurve
    Chief Petty Officer

by soundcurve » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:36 pm

Laura wrote:The Black Satans rule! :P (for a good laugh) I must admit I'm kinda seriously digging the Satanic Pop Metal (who knew? :P ) group Semargl. :shock: :oops: :beerwink:

I can laugh at black metal but can only take so much before I feel it is missing the point of what I like about it.

Regarding Semargl, well you do dig electronic music, gothic, and black metal so seems to make sense. I am in the same boat. I gave Theater of Tragedy new sound many proper listens and fully supported Paradise Lost, Tiamat, etc. flirtation with Goth and DM influenced song delivery.

The only thing, there is a lot of songs that have that sound. Pain (Hypocrisy - Peter Tagtgren) Shut Your Mouth: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1mRO8aqjz8 came to mind recently.

Perhaps a goth metal thread (which I think a band like Semargl has more in common with)? Granted that might fall flat since there is zero of that on the ship (aside from MDB).
  • Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:03 pm

soundcurve wrote:
    Laura wrote:The Black Satans rule! :P (for a good laugh) I must admit I'm kinda seriously digging the Satanic Pop Metal (who knew? :P ) group Semargl. :shock: :oops: :beerwink:

I can laugh at black metal but can only take so much before I feel it is missing the point of what I like about it.

Regarding Semargl, well you do dig electronic music, gothic, and black metal so seems to make sense. I am in the same boat. I gave Theater of Tragedy new sound many proper listens and fully supported Paradise Lost, Tiamat, etc. flirtation with Goth and DM influenced song delivery.

The only thing, there is a lot of songs that have that sound. Pain (Hypocrisy - Peter Tagtgren) Shut Your Mouth: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1mRO8aqjz8 came to mind recently.

Perhaps a goth metal thread (which I think a band like Semargl has more in common with)? Granted that might fall flat since there is zero of that on the ship (aside from MDB).

Hmmmm....lots to comment on here! I'll just take on the first two things you said for now.

soundcurve wrote:I can laugh at black metal but can only take so much before I feel it is missing the point of what I like about it.

Well, first of all - I assume the Black Satans are just a joke parody "black metal" band - so yeah, I watched the videos and there's a lot of silly stuff in them (like the guy running and slipping in the snow :lol: ) and they made me laugh. The fact that there is a lot of humor/parody potential in (some) black metal bands is not lost on me; I mean in a lot of ways it's totally ripe for that. Doesn't mean it makes me like any particular band any less, it's just that I can see why some people (Kevin :mrgreen: ) find some of it silly and make fun of it....the clothes, the face paint, the "evil" stuff, and so on. I'm remembering a conversation we had some pages back about Nifelheim. I absolutely love the one album I have by them (Envoy of Lucifer), and they were one of my favorite performers of the whole HITS fest - but, I have to admit that I had to chuckle at least a little bit to myself while watching them - their whole stage persona and especially some of their facial expressions...plus the fact that two of the guys are twins adds to the whole thing. Again - don't get me wrong, I loved it. Same with Immortal - such incredibly great music in my view (At the Heart of Winter is one of my all-time favorite albums), but there's definitely a campy quality to their live performances (and certainly some of their videos). But, of course, they are only two bands out of a large number of bands that are in this genre....and there is such a variety out there. (although now that I think about it, isn't Nifelheim known as a hybrid? - "black/speed metal" or something like that?...oh, whatever, I just know I like 'em.) Ok...I'm starting to ramble....zzzzz

soundcurve wrote:Regarding Semargl, well you do dig electronic music, gothic, and black metal so seems to make sense. I am in the same boat. I gave Theater of Tragedy new sound many proper listens and fully supported Paradise Lost, Tiamat, etc. flirtation with Goth and DM influenced song delivery.

Yes, you are right - it makes total sense that I would like them, and they have grown on me. I guess I put the :shock: :oops: emoticons, because this is a Metal forum....plus the band first showed up on the "Lowering the Bar" thread. :lol: :P At first the combination of the poppy kinda music with the black metal look and harsh vocals was off-putting to me, just because it seemed like such an odd combination. Plus some of the dance moves were cracking me up in one of those live videos. Now that I've gotten over my initial WTF? reaction to them, I think they're quite good and I'm enjoying them. :P As for Theater of Tragedy, I am a big fan (own all their albums, and especially like the album Musique that the song Image is from). And I definitely love all kinds of electronica. I happened to listen to a lot of 80s synth pop/dance music today (years ago I bought a lot of 80s compilation CDs that I've loaded on my iPhone/iPod) - Soft Cell, Human League, Pet Shop Boys, Ultravox, OMD, Culture Club, Dead or Alive, Bronski Beat, Yaz, Eurythmics, Visage, Thomas Dolby to name a few that come to mind off the top of my head - love all of that stuff, largely because it was played a lot in dance clubs in the 80s and it's great dance music (and I love to dance)! Ok - need to stop - otherwise I'm about to fall into a major 80s nostalgia mode talking about 80s new wave, punk, goth, house, industrial, EBM, and so on, and I'll never stop! ;)
    (and btw, I know you're a fan of Depeche Mode, as am I, and they are usually considered part synth-pop, but I think of them as more "New Wave" as I do other favorites The Cure and New Order. Ah - genre confusion again since so often the goth/new wave/post-punk/synth-pop overlapped in a lot of bands' music of that era.)

Thought this post needed some added visuals (all the years working in an arts library has made me very visually oriented :beerwink: )

I especially like this picture

Nifelheim - note twin brothers Erik and Per Gustavsson (seems they're really into studded clothing ;) )

and one more, since I mentioned Semargl
    soundcurve
    Chief Petty Officer

by soundcurve » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:03 pm

Laura wrote: Ok - need to stop - otherwise I'm about to fall into a major 80s nostalgia mode talking about 80s new wave, punk, goth, house, industrial, EBM, and so on, and I'll never stop! ;)
    (and btw, I know you're a fan of Depeche Mode, as am I, and they are usually considered part synth-pop, but I think of them as more "New Wave" as I do other favorites The Cure and New Order. Ah - genre confusion again since so often the goth/new wave/post-punk/synth-pop overlapped in a lot of bands' music of that era.)

Hey, that is why I am open to experimentation. Also a fan of electronic music, granted they have the same "genre hell" metal goes through.

See: http://techno.org/electronic-music-guide/

I been listening to a ton of electronic music the past week. Granted I like a lot of 80s music I find myself listening to "newer" groups. Some of my faves are Assemblage 23, Covenant, Ladytron, VNV Nation, Wolfsheim. (know any of them?) So genre guide-o-mater puts me in the EBM/Futurepop area mostly, haha. The commonality though with electronic and metal is there is a fuckton of energy in both and the shows are a blast.

I like the stuff that there is still a song in there though. Some of my buddies that are into electronic music just like house or mix tapes which I find kinda bullshit since there is little to no writing involved in that. That to me relies to heavy on the technology and not much on the art. I find a lot of the above groups write some excellent well thought out lyrics as well. I think my fave band/group<whatever they are called> though is Covenant. Granted all their photos look like "Mr. Anderson" - guy from the Matrix. (And not keeping this metal) Not to be confused with the metal band Kovenant (Who I think hellhammer played with - who is in a black metal band . . . so uhhhhh, not too off topic with this post :lol: ).

And speaking of lyrics, the Ladytron cover of "Little Black Angel" came on: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ea48vhA7tsM&ob=av2e
    Which is originally by Death in June - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--7bemJNeG4
    Which is lyrical "perversion" of Oscar Brown Jr. "Brown Baby" - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9BUD10Htyc (which Nina Simone covered and many others)

Which are all great renditions and why genre are Meh. It is always the power of a song that dominates.

Lyric fun:
    DIJ
    http://www.deathinjune.net/lyrics/littleblackangel.htm
    Oscar Brown Jr.
    http://www.sing365.com/music/lyric.nsf/ ... A100224F8B

This being black metal lyrics to me:

When out of men's hearts all hate has gone
    It's better to die than forever live on
    My little black angel...
    :bmhorns:
  • Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:48 am

^^^ This is a great post! :cheers: And kinda fun to derail the Black Metal thread with talk of Electronic Music!  :P

First of all, that site you linked - http://techno.org/electronic-music-guide/ - is one of the best music sites I've seen in a while! I love how you can pick any subgroup (and man there are a ton!!) out of the main groups House, Trance, Techno, Breakbeat, Jungle, Hardcore, Downtempo, and hear a mini-jukebox of that genre. For example - the Synthpop subgroup includes "Don't You Want Me Baby" by the Human League, "Blue Monday" by New Order, "It's a Sin" by Pet Shop Boys, "I Ran" by Flock of Seagulls, "Sweet Dreams" by Euryhmics, "Sleepwalk" by Ultravox, among others - many of whom I mentioned in my previous post.

The "first phase" of my knowledge of and interest in electronic music (in its many forms) spanned the years 1979 when I started college and lasted through 1990. In many ways, it was the most significant period of my life because that time span includes my undergrad college years, living in Europe for 10 months, living on my own for the first time, first major jobs, 1st grad degree, lots of travel, marriage, and so on; I believe that is why a lot of that music is still very important to me and I continue to enjoy it. It was such a great time for music in my view, because I was hearing so many "new" genres** fresh as they were appearing on the music scene - and to me, and many of my friends, it was exciting as hell! I certainly didn't turn my back on all that great 70s style rock, "proto-metal" and pop music, it's just that (for example), once I heard the song Autobahn by Kraftwerk for the first time around 1979 (which actually came out in 1974), a whole new world of music opened up for me and led me to so much more throughout the 1980s and beyond....not unlike when I "discovered" Scandinavian metal music within the past decade - even though in the case of those genres, they existed *many* years before I was "tuned" into them; or as I like to say, that music had not been on my music "radar" whatsoever prior to 2005.

** and not just music under the large electronic umbrella, but others I mentioned on this thread viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2265

...oops - ran out of time and didn't even get to bands/lyrics you mentioned....to be continued... :beerwink:
    WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:49 pm

Laura wrote:
    The "first phase" of my knowledge of and interest in electronic music (in its many forms) spanned the years 1979 when I started college and lasted through 1990. In many ways, it was the most significant period of my life because that time span includes my undergrad college years, living in Europe for 10 months, living on my own for the first time, first major jobs, 1st grad degree, lots of travel, marriage, and so on;

you got married while you were still an undergrad? wow. i was engaged my senior year of college but broke it off, alas i had not found the right guy for me yet. i had no idea what i wanted then. took me another decade LOL
    2011, Barge to Hell, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2020 SOOOOON
  • Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:48 pm

WizardBeast wrote:
    Laura wrote:
    The "first phase" of my knowledge of and interest in electronic music (in its many forms) spanned the years 1979 when I started college and lasted through 1990. In many ways, it was the most significant period of my life because that time span includes my undergrad college years, living in Europe for 10 months, living on my own for the first time, first major jobs, 1st grad degree, lots of travel, marriage, and so on;

you got married while you were still an undergrad? wow. i was engaged my senior year of college but broke it off, alas i had not found the right guy for me yet. i had no idea what i wanted then. took me another decade LOL

Ha - only looked at the forum a few times today and just saw this. No - did not get married when I was an undergrad. :P And, if Rob is King of TMI, I'll do my best to be the Queen of TMI. :P I was talking about a range of years from 1979-1990 that were significant on a personal level (a lot of stuff happened), and much of the music I listened to then had a strong impact on everything I listened to and really enjoyed henceforth.

To give a better date perspective - I studied architecture from 1979-1983 at University of Illinois including a year abroad in Versailles 1982-83, met husband in 1984 (also an architecture student and to this day a practicing architect), I received my 1st grad degree (library and information science) in 1989, we were married soon after, have 2 children together (2 girls born in 1997 and 1999 - yes, we are "old" parents) and have been married and have lived together in our current home ever since. We have very similar music tastes (classic rock, classical, all the 80s stuff I've talked about on the 80s thread)...yet, we part ways on black/death metal and stuff like that - not his thing. ;)
    Last edited by Laura on Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:50 pm

Laura wrote:
    WizardBeast wrote:
    Laura wrote:

Ha - only looked at the forum a few times today and just saw this. No - did not get married when I was an undergrad. :P And, if Rob is King of TMI, I'll do my best to be the Queen of TMI. :P I was talking about a range of years from 1979-1990 that were significant on a personal level (a lot of stuff happened), and much of the music I listened to then had a strong impact on everything I listened to and really enjoyed henceforth.

To give a better date perspective - I studied architecture from 1979-1983 at University of Illinois including a year abroad in Versailles 1982-83, met husband in 1984 (also an architecture student and to this day a practicing architect), I received my 1st grad degree (library and information science) in 1989, we were married soon after, have 2 children together (2 girls born in 1997 and 1999 - yes, we are "old" parents) and have been married and have lived together in our current home home ever since. We have very similar music tastes (classic rock, classical, all the 80s stuff I've talked about on the 80s thread)...yet, we part ways on black metal and stuff like that - not his thing. ;)

haha! thanks for the synopsis! sorry i missed the detail about a wider range of influential years that you gave. :viking:
  • Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:47 am

soundcurve wrote:
    Laura wrote: Ok - need to stop - otherwise I'm about to fall into a major 80s nostalgia mode talking about 80s new wave, punk, goth, house, industrial, EBM, and so on, and I'll never stop! ;)

Hey, that is why I am open to experimentation. Also a fan of electronic music, granted they have the same "genre hell" metal goes through.

See: http://techno.org/electronic-music-guide/

I been listening to a ton of electronic music the past week. Granted I like a lot of 80s music I find myself listening to "newer" groups. Some of my faves are Assemblage 23, Covenant, Ladytron, VNV Nation, Wolfsheim. (know any of them?) So genre guide-o-mater puts me in the EBM/Futurepop area mostly, haha. The commonality though with electronic and metal is there is a fuckton of energy in both and the shows are a blast.

I like the stuff that there is still a song in there though. Some of my buddies that are into electronic music just like house or mix tapes which I find kinda bullshit since there is little to no writing involved in that. That to me relies to heavy on the technology and not much on the art. I find a lot of the above groups write some excellent well thought out lyrics as well. I think my fave band/group<whatever they are called> though is Covenant. Granted all their photos look like "Mr. Anderson" - guy from the Matrix. (And not keeping this metal) Not to be confused with the metal band Kovenant (Who I think hellhammer played with - who is in a black metal band . . . so uhhhhh, not too off topic with this post :lol: ).

And speaking of lyrics, the Ladytron cover of "Little Black Angel" came on: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ea48vhA7tsM&ob=av2e
    Which is originally by Death in June - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--7bemJNeG4
    Which is lyrical "perversion" of Oscar Brown Jr. "Brown Baby" - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9BUD10Htyc (which Nina Simone covered and many others)

Which are all great renditions and why genre are Meh. It is always the power of a song that dominates.

Lyric fun:
    DIJ
    http://www.deathinjune.net/lyrics/littleblackangel.htm
    Oscar Brown Jr.
    http://www.sing365.com/music/lyric.nsf/ ... A100224F8B

This being black metal lyrics to me:

When out of men's hearts all hate has gone
    It's better to die than forever live on
    My little black angel...
    :bmhorns:

Like I said in my partial response earlier - I like this post a lot and your links as usual - did not know the Little Black Angel song for example and do not know the band Covenant which is really strange since they began in 1986 and the 80s was when I was really into this kind of music....oh, but wait, now I read they didn't start recording till the 1990s when I had moved on to other kinds of electronica. I like what the wiki article says about them including some history:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Covenant_(band)
    Covenant is a band from Sweden whose music comprises a mixture between electropop and electronic dance music. The band is composed of Eskil Simonsson, Daniel Myer and Joakim Montelius. They have been releasing their music since the early 1990s.

In the late 1970s and early 1980s, electronic music and several of its subgenres became a preferred musical style among European underground culture. It gained favor initially within major cities and eventually trickled into the continent's more socially secluded regions. This new wave of music was discovered at different instances by a group of young friends living among the shadows of Helsingborg, a scenic municipality in western Sweden. Eskil Simonsson, Joakim Montelius, and Clas Nachmanson, three teenagers with mutual, youthful curiosities for science, philosophy, and matters of existence, were enthralled by the unique presentation and the emotional content offered through the music, specifically by that of bands such as Kraftwerk, The Human League, and by EBM pioneers Front 242 and Nitzer Ebb.
    (love the part I highlighted in blue)

And there is a mention of three of MY absolute favorites there - Kraftwerk, Front 242, and Nitzer Ebb - yay! And I did see them all live - the first 2 many years ago and Nitzer Ebb just last year. Covenant is definitely a band I will follow up on....so thanks for telling me about them. :cheers:

Out of the others you mentioned...the ones that I am at least familiar with the name (but haven't really listened to at all or not much) are Ladytron, VNV Nation, Assemblage 23. In my initial post I talked about phase 1 of my interest in electronic music up till 1990 - "phase 2" (1990+) kinda coincided with me mellowing out in a lot of ways so I got really into all kinds of ambient, New age, down-tempo... but also more lively dub and so on (a compilation I have called King Size Dub is a favorite - especially "Ghetto Prayer" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckmuZlmG ... 8FE96C3CBE ) - the kind of music I started listening to a lot on a radio program in the 90s called Musical Starstreams (think I mentioned this somewhere before), which is now here: http://www.starstreams.com/ Of course, not all of what I've listened to is "mellow" - also love/loved groups like The Chemical Brothers and The Prodigy when I first heard them..and most recently had a truly extraordinary experience at the Lollapalooza 2011 Deadmau5 gig. I wish there was a youtube out there that could somehow capture the energy of the thousands of people there - it was incredible with the backdrop of the Chicago skyline and all - here is something at least - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcxNIfVIUdU

Well, I think I only scratched the surface of what I could say about this topic (and now so many other artists/bands that I've really enjoyed over so many years time are coming to mind - Jan Hammer, Enigma, Moby, Deuter, Paul Hartcastle, Kitaro, Deep Forest, and on and on!) - but I think I'll stop now. :P (especially since this is the Black Metal thread :lol: ....btw - I did LOVE the Inquisition show last week - only wrote about it briefly on the gig thread, so thought I'd mention it again here - I would have bought some merch but ALL was sold out! :cry: )
    WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:51 am

Goddess of Metal wrote:hehe!! :D

i freaking love these! :beerhorns: :beerhorns: :beerhorns: :bmhorns:
    soundcurve
    Chief Petty Officer

by soundcurve » Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:15 pm

Sweet! This seems really cool!

2011 release from the infamous Norwegian Black Metal band led by Varg Vikernes. From The Depths of Darkness contains Varg's favorite tracks from his first two albums Burzum and Det Som Engang Var re-recorded in 2010 the way he originally intended. The result is a hard hitting and great sounding collection of tracks sounding the way Varg wanted the tracks to be heard by his dedicated fans and supporters. It's an album that will cement the legacy of Burzum.

mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:16 pm

Varg can go fuck himself :P
    soundcurve
    Chief Petty Officer

by soundcurve » Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:38 pm

mooyagi wrote:Varg can go fuck himself :P

Post Reply 644 posts