Black Metal

User

soundcurve

Rank

Chief Petty Officer

Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:52 am

Re: Black Metal

by soundcurve » Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:57 pm

Laura wrote:Well, now it's official....just received this in my email today from Ticketfly:

Hello,

Mortuary Drape will no longer be performing at Reggies Rock Club on December 13. Inquisition will now be headlining with one band TBA. The cost of the show has been changed to $15.

Bad and good news - was really looking forward to seeing Mortuary Drape since I missed them at HITS - oh well, at least Inquisition is still playing and I'll go to that since I really like their new album...Ominous Doctrines of the Perpetual Mystical Macrocosm. Mike - just looked at their discography - are there others you are familiar with and would highly recommend? Also - a side note - didn't realize till today that even though they originally hail from Colombia, they've been in Seattle awhile now so it seems.

Hope this is the case with sonar. They are having some hommie fest the same night so not sure. They tend to double book their rooms. As for another album "Nefarious Dismal Orations" is a good bet. Though I still would say Ominous Doctrines of the Perpetual Mystical Macrocosm is their best. The older album sound quality is rough and their aren't as defined and structured riff-age as Ominous.

Ancient Monumental War Hymn - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mgv85uBEfVA
Strike of the Morning Star http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oVD2TJNpJ0

It is the album opener and is pretty catchy. But the mix isn't nearly as aggressive as Omnious though live it should be good. I feel this album started in the path to the Omnious :bmhorns: which to me is great.
Last edited by soundcurve on Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
BTHFL
User

soundcurve

Rank

Chief Petty Officer

by soundcurve » Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:18 pm

On another note: found this Hideous Gnosis: Black Metal Theory Symposium I that might be good read (or laugh?), I'll give it a go tonight though fear it may be a bit too academic for its own good, but who knows!

http://www.amazon.com/Hideous-Gnosis-Bl ... pd_sim_b_6

Scope it free here: http://www.radicalmatters.com/metasound ... sium.I.pdf
BTHFL
User

soundcurve

Rank

Chief Petty Officer

by soundcurve » Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:43 pm

Laura wrote:Kvelertak: Blodtørst http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7sIqyoRFiU
Wardruna: Bjarkan - Live at the Viking Ship Museum, Oslo, Norway (was there in 2010 - the museum, that is - not the gig - loved it) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKMDcTne ... re=related
Wardruna: Kauna (Live at Incubate 2009) http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=jMV78a-G5xY

Gave Kvelertak a shot today and it reminds me a lot of old Turbonegro. Still good and catchy. Seems the sonar gig is on and they might add someone.
BTHFL
User

Laura

Rank

Commander

Mon May 10, 2010 7:28 am

cloud 9 chicago

by Laura » Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:40 pm

soundcurve wrote:On another note: found this Hideous Gnosis: Black Metal Theory Symposium I that might be good read (or laugh?), I'll give it a go tonight though fear it may be a bit too academic for its own good, but who knows!

http://www.amazon.com/Hideous-Gnosis-Bl ... pd_sim_b_6

Scope it free here: http://www.radicalmatters.com/metasound ... sium.I.pdf

Thanks so much for posting this link Mike - I skimmed through about the first 80 pages last night - super academic-speak of course, but I've enjoyed it so far. The writing and thinking style is like so much of the art and aesthetics theory I read and wrote about in grad school in the 90s...I mean, these writers are quoting the likes of Hegel, Barthes, Nietzsche, Derrida, Schelling, Goethe, Kierkegaard, and Bataille when discussing black metal. :ugeek: :cool: I suppose some people might find it completely ridiculous (and I must say I chuckled a bit here and there when reading it) - but it proves one point to me that I've felt from the get go about the genre (and partly why it appeals to me so much) - that (overall), black metal has more depth and complexity (especially from a symbolic and performance point of view imo) than any other metal genre. Later on, I'm going to google some of those authors - curious to know more about who they are.

....ok...looked up one of the authors so far (wow - what an impressive education - I feel somewhat lowly with only two masters degrees :lol: ):

Nicola Masciandaro
Associate Professor (Brooklyn College)
Department: English

Education:
Ph.D., Yale University - 2002 (Medieval Studies)

M.Phil., Yale University - 1999 (Medieval Studies)

M.A., Yale University - 1998 (Medieval Studies)

M.A., University of Connecticut - 1996 (English Literature)

B.A., University of Washington - 1992 (English Literature)
Wacken 2009 & 2010, Hole in the Sky (Bergen) 2011, 70,000 Tons of Metal 2011 & 2012, Progressive Nation at Sea 2014. 2015: Rock Legends Cruise Feb 19-23
User

Laura

Rank

Commander

cloud 9 chicago

by Laura » Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:50 am

Looked up this New York Times article this morning on the Black Metal Symposium brought up by Mike...(funny article title I think)

December 15, 2009
Thank You, Professor, That Was Putrid By BEN RATLIFF

The bald, beefy moderator, Niall Scott of the University of Central Lancashire, approached the podium in darkness. “It is my revolting pleasure,” he susurrated, pulling on his long goatee, “to introduce Professor Erik Butler, who will present his paper ‘The Counter-Reformation in Stone and Metal: Spiritual Substances.’ ”

And Mr. Butler, an assistant professor of German studies at Emory University, talked about black-metal music — in its second-wave, largely Norwegian form — as a cryptic expression of Roman Catholicism. He started with the 16th-century Council of Trent and the early modern church. He quoted lyrics from the face-painted, early-1990s Norwegian black-metal bands Gorgoroth and Immortal; he framed black metal as respecting some of rock’s orthodoxies, as opposed to the heresies of disco and punk; and he spoke of black metal’s preoccupation with “the abiding and transcendent: stone, mountain, moon.”

You can imagine several orders of hostility toward “Hideous Gnosis,” a six-hour theory symposium on black-metal music that commenced on Saturday afternoon at Public Assembly, a bar and nightclub in Williamsburg, Brooklyn. Not just because plenty of people like to make fun of academics discoursing on youth culture but because the subject was something like the music that dare not speak its name.

Black metal, which has been a self-conscious genre since the early 1990s — with a prehistory in some ’80s metal bands — remains metal’s most underground subspecies. (Black refers to a bleak outlook on life.) Musically it’s all scoured howls, nonsyncopated blast-beat drums, and cold, trebly guitars. It sounds like it’s rotting, and that’s the point: black metal represents decay, radical individualism, misanthropy, negativity about all systems, and awe of the natural world. (Death metal, on the other hand, is more proactive, body-centered and psyched about gore.)

“The purest black-metal artist is one who’s unknown and inaccessible,” said Nicola Masciandaro, a professor of medieval literature at Brooklyn College who organized the six-hour event.

In a way, black metal runs on a very old cultural motor: loss of faith, and the hysterical fear and sadness that come with it. But it has become one of rock’s best modes of resistance, which is why it persists, why recent books and films about it have found an audience (like Peter Beste’s photo essay “True Norwegian Black Metal” and the documentary “Until the Light Takes Us”) and why it has inspired a new American wave of bands, including Nachtmystium, Krallice, Wolves in the Throne Room and Liturgy.

Even as the Americans bend black metal far away from tribalism, violence or antireligious malevolence (some Norwegian black-metal musicians became notorious for murder and church burnings) and toward something more Whitman-esque, it remains ingrown. Some of its practitioners — like the Americans Xasthur and Leviathan — make records but will not perform or, in Leviathan’s case, give interviews. Talking about black metal in certain quarters seems deeply lame.

One commenter on the online-forum page of the metal magazine Decibel summed up a certain kind of black-metal fan’s attitude toward the symposium. This music, the contributor wrote, “has nothing to do with being intellectual and everything to do with not wanting to try and break every little thing apart” for analysis.

“There’s lots of resentment toward a sensible discourse around black metal,” said Mr. Masciandaro in an interview. “There’s also lots of dissent and difference around what black metal is. Its center of gravity is an essential negativity, an idea of some remainder, something that cannot be reduced.” He was inspired to organize the symposium, he said, by the conference on heavy metal, held last year in Salzburg, Austria, organized by Mr. Scott. He was there and wanted to create a more specific event. He chose a club with a bar as the setting, rather than a university, figuring it would be more “ludic.”

Was the afternoon humorous, ridiculous or at least ludic? Not really. (It could have used a few more dozen spectators and a temperature boost of about 15 degrees.) To the contrary, it felt necessary. Despite what black-metal musicians might proclaim — Ovskum, an Italian singer and guitarist, was quoted in one of the symposium’s lectures as saying, “my music does not come from a philosophy but from a precritical compulsion” — their work is basically philosophy. It is theoretical, a grid for looking at life, with ancient roots. It could use a critical apparatus, and though the afternoon’s many citings of Continental philosophers like Lacan, Derrida and Bataille might have seemed ludicrously distant to the practice of black metal, such writings relate to the subgenre’s big subjects: death and time.

Mr. Masciandaro’s lecture, “Anti-Cosmosis: Black Mahapralaya,” dealt with ideas of cosmic evolution and annihilation in black metal. In “Perpetual Rot: Obsessive Cycles of Deterioration,” Joseph Russo talked about, um, rot, and the “liminal death-space” in the work of Xasthur. Brandon Stosuy, a Brooklyn music critic, read from his oral history in progress of American black metal: a welcome demystification, cast in normal-dude voices.

“Transcendental Black Metal,” a lecture by Hunter Hunt-Hendrix, the young singer and guitarist of the Brooklyn band Liturgy, gave the Nordic black-metal tradition a stern challenge, and amounted to an artistic manifesto for his own band. He discussed how America represents “dignity, freedom, renewal and hybridization,” and suggested that these qualities could be represented in a new form of black metal. He proposed a new rhythm to replace the blast beat: the “burst beat,” by which rhythm can contract and expand in time, as in free jazz. He cited Aaron Copland’s “Appalachian Spring” and Ornette Coleman’s “Skies of America” as philosophical models, with their “joyful experience of the continuity of existence.” He talked of “life and hypertrophy” replacing “death and atrophy,” and in his own way he was as nonnegotiable as Ovskum: “Our affirmation is a refusal to deny.”

During a Q. and A. period Mr. Hunt-Hendrix was challenged by Scott Wilson, a professor from Lancaster University, who, like Mr. Scott, had traveled from England to attend the conference. Mr. Wilson wondered, skeptically, if transcendentalist black metal just boiled down to “all you need is love.”

“I’m not so interested in defending anything I say,” Mr. Hunt-Hendrix replied. “I only like to be judged on whether it’s interesting or not.”

But perhaps the day’s most profound lecture came from Mr. Scott, who spoke in priestly cadences about black metal as part of the ritual of confession.

“The black metal event is a confession without need of absolution, without need of redemption,” he said. It is, he added, “a cleaning up of the mess of others.” He invoked the old English tradition of sin eating by means of burial cakes, in which a loaf of bread was put on a funeral bier or a corpse, and a paid member of the community would eat the bread, representing sin, to absolve and comfort the deceased.

“Black metal has become the sin eater,” he intoned. “It is engaged in transgressive behavior to be rid of it.”
Wacken 2009 & 2010, Hole in the Sky (Bergen) 2011, 70,000 Tons of Metal 2011 & 2012, Progressive Nation at Sea 2014. 2015: Rock Legends Cruise Feb 19-23
User

Bentz!

Rank

Sub-Lieutenant

Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:17 am

Lambertville, MI / Toledo, OH

by Bentz! » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:41 am

soundcurve wrote:Gave Kvelertak a shot today and it reminds me a lot of old Turbonegro. Still good and catchy.

That's exactly what I think of as well when listening to Kvelertak. A bit more "darkness" overall, but otherwise it could have been Apocalypse Dudes redux.
All the cool kids went to Ragnarokkr, MDF and Tuska in 2013!
User

Laura

Rank

Commander

cloud 9 chicago

by Laura » Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:33 am

Just tried to play those Inquisition links from a few posts earlier, and they're not playing on my phone atm - so I'll try again later on the home computer.

Re - Kvelertak - not sure entirely why I'm *so nuts* over their debut album - all I know is that from the first time I heard it, I was really blown away by it - don't know the bands you guys mentioned, so can't compare - but to my ears they sound very fresh, but yet with the same high level of energy and excitement :headbanger: of some of my VERY favorite bands from long ago (namely The Ramones and The Sex Pistols whoI know I'm guilty of bringing up a lot. :P ) In short, music that makes me want to dance & thrash around all crazy - which I do primarily at home when no one's around. :lol: Loved their live show so much too - unfortunately it was just 2 nights before Opeth which was really bad timing in a way - it was hard coming down from the pit scene high at Kvelertak in a very small venue to the mellow Opeth scene. Don't get me wrong, I still enjoyed Opeth, just would have been better if the gig dates were reversed.

One last thing - I really love Erlind's voice - again, not exactly sure why - there's just something about the quality, tone, whatever you want to call it, that is really appealing to me. :D
User

soundcurve

Rank

Chief Petty Officer

by soundcurve » Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:38 pm

Re: Turbonegro

Here is a link to my fave turbonegro song:

Ride with Us: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6zusV1Yk9Q

Keepin it BM, here is a popular one that two BM bands you dig cover:

I Got Erection: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gxpAR6LReA

Satyricon (and I think Behemoth cover it too) cover of I got Erection: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoRyo-lZ ... re=related

They are a tongue and cheek kinda band, but write some really catchy tunes if you are into that kinda punk rock. I enjoy them :beerwink:
BTHFL
User

soundcurve

Rank

Chief Petty Officer

by soundcurve » Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:49 pm

Laura wrote:....ok...looked up one of the authors so far (wow - what an impressive education - I feel somewhat lowly with only two masters degrees :lol: ):

Nicola Masciandaro

Education:

Haha, that dude is a professional student. I am 3 credits away from a M.S. in Computer Science Field and that is more than enough for me. :lol: (BTW - Grats on your degrees!) Been taking my sweet time on mine though with work and enjoying life. I am already in my profession and have several certification hoops I've jumped through so this is just icing. I still need to read that book though, this weekend ended up being party-time. Luckily I get the end of this week off for the Turkey slaughter! :twisted:
BTHFL
User

Laura

Rank

Commander

cloud 9 chicago

by Laura » Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:48 pm

soundcurve wrote:
Laura wrote:....ok...looked up one of the authors so far (wow - what an impressive education - I feel somewhat lowly with only two masters degrees :lol: ):

Nicola Masciandaro

Education:

Haha, that dude is a professional student. I am 3 credits away from a M.S. in Computer Science Field and that is more than enough for me. :lol: (BTW - Grats on your degrees!) Been taking my sweet time on mine though with work and enjoying life. I am already in my profession and have several certification hoops I've jumped through so this is just icing. I still need to read that book though, this weekend ended up being party-time. Luckily I get the end of this week off for the Turkey slaughter! :twisted:

Yes, indeed (although, in all fairness, he is a professor at Brooklyn College)....and it seems at least a few of the others who presented at that Black Metal Symposium have similar credentials. Wonders never cease really. ;) Black metal discussed in academic speak - but, as I alluded to earlier, it does not surprise me. Today, I did some general searches for black metal in the music periodical indexes we subscribe to at the library where I work, and I came across a good review in Wire magazine (we subscribe to this as well - http://www.thewire.co.uk/) of the book Hideous Gnosis. A few interesting lines in the review include "Yet Black Metal as a genre is saturated in metaphysics," and "It isn't exactly a stretch to connect Xasthur, Burzum or Wolves in the Throne Room with the dark, inhuman philosophies of Bataille, Kierkegaard, Schopenhauer, Schelling and younger theorists like the gnomic metaphysician of decay, Reza Negarestani."

I realize that the writings of these academic types seems overwrought and perhaps even silly to many (or most?) people - but as I said earlier, I think there is a place for it and I enjoy it very much personally...primarily because I completely immersed myself in that type of thing (but for the visual arts) when I did my grad degree in art and architecture history. Had I not decided when I was done to go for a motherhood :D degree next, I would have continued in the PhD program. Who knows, I may still do that when both kids are college age six years from now.

Congrats on nearing the end of your CS degree....it's nice to take time with these things I think (took me nearly 4 years to complete my history degree), especially if you're working and trying to do lots of other things at the same time (i.e. enjoy life). :cheers:

I'm liking Turbonegro btw...ha, yet another good band from Norway. ;)

And on the general "catchy music" subject - listened to one of my favorite albums from the 90s today - Smash! by The Offspring...was really digging the song Genocide, although there are so many other great songs.
Genocide: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhYgeGT_vcU
Something to Believe In: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sK_gDmwe ... re=related
...and of course Self Esteem: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeWjzBHUdsI
User

nekrobarr

Rank

Ensign

Mon May 24, 2010 4:29 am

Michigan

by nekrobarr » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:30 pm

Haha, The Offspring...
Laura, you just made me think of Norther's cover of the title track from Smash

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hm3DzHOmSDs
5/5

1349/Agalloch/Agathodaimon/Ahab/Amon_Amarth/Amorphis/Anathema/Andromeda/Arcturus/Avantasia/Ataraxie/Bal-Sagoth/Battlelore/Blind_Guardian/Borknagar/Crematory/Daylight_Dies/Dimmu_Borgir/Doom:VS/Dordeduh/Draconian/Eternal_Tears_of_Sorrow/Evoken/Fates_Warning/Funeral/Ghost_Brigade/Graveworm/HellLight/The_Howling_Void/Hypocrisy/Iced_Earth/Immortal/Insomnium/Kalmah/Katatonia/Lair_of_the_Minotaur/Moonsorrow/The_Morningside/Mournful_Congregation/My_Dying_Bride/October_Tide/Pantheist/Poisonblack/Powerglove/Remembrance/Revelations_Of_Rain/Runemagick/Sahg/Saturnus/Seventh_Void/Sirenia/Solitude_Aeturnus/To_Die_For/Triptykon/Vader/Vallenfyre/Vreid/When_Nothing_Remains/Who_Dies_In_Siberian_Slush/Wintersun
User

Laura

Rank

Commander

cloud 9 chicago

by Laura » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:44 pm

nekrobarr wrote:Haha, The Offspring...

Ha - I seem to remember a conversation we had about the Offspring in person - you are (or were a fan eh!). I think they played some big venue in Chicago in the past year or so - shoulda gone really. Guess I've been too spoiled with the small venue (and relatively cheap!) metal gigs at Bottom Lounge, Reggie's, and the like.
User

nekrobarr

Rank

Ensign

Michigan

by nekrobarr » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:48 pm

Laura wrote:
nekrobarr wrote:Haha, The Offspring...

Ha - I seem to remember a conversation we had about the Offspring in person - you are (or were a fan eh!). I think they played some big venue in Chicago in the past year or so - shoulda gone really. Guess I've been too spoiled with the small venue (and relatively cheap!) metal gigs at Bottom Lounge, Reggie's, and the like.

Yeah, I was a fan, way long long long ago when I was first really getting into music. I guess they still hold some nostalgic value for me, but I can't say I listen to them regularly at all. Too much metal to listen to!
5/5

1349/Agalloch/Agathodaimon/Ahab/Amon_Amarth/Amorphis/Anathema/Andromeda/Arcturus/Avantasia/Ataraxie/Bal-Sagoth/Battlelore/Blind_Guardian/Borknagar/Crematory/Daylight_Dies/Dimmu_Borgir/Doom:VS/Dordeduh/Draconian/Eternal_Tears_of_Sorrow/Evoken/Fates_Warning/Funeral/Ghost_Brigade/Graveworm/HellLight/The_Howling_Void/Hypocrisy/Iced_Earth/Immortal/Insomnium/Kalmah/Katatonia/Lair_of_the_Minotaur/Moonsorrow/The_Morningside/Mournful_Congregation/My_Dying_Bride/October_Tide/Pantheist/Poisonblack/Powerglove/Remembrance/Revelations_Of_Rain/Runemagick/Sahg/Saturnus/Seventh_Void/Sirenia/Solitude_Aeturnus/To_Die_For/Triptykon/Vader/Vallenfyre/Vreid/When_Nothing_Remains/Who_Dies_In_Siberian_Slush/Wintersun
User

Laura

Rank

Commander

cloud 9 chicago

by Laura » Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:52 am

^^^ I don't listen to The Offspring *regularly* anymore either - but they came to my mind yesterday when thinking of really upbeat catchy music. Really LOVE that album Smash in particular (listened to the whole thing yesterday in fact) - I remember buying that cd when it came out cause a few of the songs that I liked a lot were getting a lot of radio play. (wow - the pre-Internet age!!) Can't believe that it came out 17 years ago! Almost ancient history to some here I suspect. ;)

I agree with your too much metal to listen to comment. The majority (although certainly not all) of what I've listened to in the past several years has been metal...partly because I arrived relatively (fashionably? :lol: ) late to the metal "party" and I have a lot of "catching up" to do - in particular the black metal party. ;) :beerhorns: And what a fantastic party it is! :cool: (better late than never is one of my mottos though).

This thread has been great for learning about new (to me) bands. :heavydrink: all!
User

nekrobarr

Rank

Ensign

Michigan

by nekrobarr » Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:52 pm

:heavydrink: :heavydrink: :heavydrink:
5/5

User

soundcurve

Rank

Chief Petty Officer

by soundcurve » Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:09 pm

Re: Offsprings

^^^ WTF guys? :lol: j/k

I'll let you guys reminisce on that. The only song I recall not flipping off quickly on MTV (They played the "gotta keep em separated" song nonstop) was that song "Gone Away" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=numCZoBFcv4&ob=av2e

Was a bit more "Gothic" and Paradise Lost (their sound then) at the time and enjoyed it. Granted I don't believe it is on the CD you guys like. (a side note, my wife walks in and said this song is annoying :roll: - sry let me put on some non-stop salsa action! uhg!)
BTHFL
User

Laura

Rank

Commander

cloud 9 chicago

by Laura » Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:20 am

^^^ hope you enjoyed the salsa :P - I suppose you could always play the old "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em routine" and learn to be a wicked salsa dancer or something, a la a routine on Dancing With the Stars. :cool: :P (where's Kevin's favorite dance boy smilie when I need it. :mrgreen: )

Aaahhh yes, The Offspring....
Matt - like that Norther cover of Smash! Had not heard it before. :headbanger:
Mike - that song you linked is a good one too from a few years after Smash came out.

Sorry for the Offspring derail on the bm thread... :oops: :lol:
Speaking of which, about to pack up the offspring and the dog to go to my sister's house for Thanksgiving....Happy Turkey Day everyone! :cheers: Tomorrow I'll be back at work and am on a mission to finally listen to some God Dethroned and some other cruise bands I'm not familiar with.
:cheers:
User

KevinP

Rank

Commander

Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:12 pm

Orlando, FL

by KevinP » Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:27 am

(where's Kevin's favorite dance boy smilie when I need it. :mrgreen: )[/quote]

My hard drive crashed, so I'm starting from scratch and lost all my prior bookmarks/links :cry:

So best find a previous post with it and copy the link :mrgreen:
WISHLIST

BOLT THROWER / MADDER MORTEM / SEAR BLISS / AEON / THE AMENTA / AUTOPSY / MDB / THE 11th HOUR / HAIL OF BULLETS / DORDEDUH / TRIPTYKON / NE OBLIVISCARIS / PORTAL

The Sultan of Stroopwafels
The Viceroy of Vegemite
Loather of Power Metal
User

mooyagi

Rank

Captain

Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:25 pm

Tucson, AZ, USA

by mooyagi » Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:29 am

KevinP wrote:
Laura wrote:(where's Kevin's favorite dance boy smilie when I need it. :mrgreen: )

My hard drive crashed, so I'm starting from scratch and lost all my prior bookmarks/links :cry:

So best find a previous post with it and copy the link :mrgreen:

Here ya go Image
See you all on 70K 2015! :deathhorns:
User

KevinP

Rank

Commander

Orlando, FL

by KevinP » Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:58 am

WISHLIST

BOLT THROWER / MADDER MORTEM / SEAR BLISS / AEON / THE AMENTA / AUTOPSY / MDB / THE 11th HOUR / HAIL OF BULLETS / DORDEDUH / TRIPTYKON / NE OBLIVISCARIS / PORTAL

The Viceroy of Vegemite
Loather of Power Metal
User

Tyr

Rank

Chief Petty Officer

Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:26 pm

Outskirts of the world, Norway

by Tyr » Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:10 am

Black metal isn't really metal
:givebeer:
:viking:
User

Stained Class

Rank

Commander

Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:53 am

Vancouver, British Columbia

by Stained Class » Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:15 am

Tyr wrote:Black metal isn't really metal

I don't agree with you but I'm going to back you up anyways.
There have been a few "false" forms of metal come out since it's inception. Hair metal, Grunge, Nu Metal, Metalcore. What do all of these have in common? They are more about the image than the music. I think there are many black metal bands that this is true for as well. Mind you, there are also the ones that are more about the music and there is always a certain level of theatrics in metal. You could also say that about any subgenre of metal, that there are some bands that are obsessed with their image, rather than focussing on the music itself. This is just my 2 cents.
[discuss topic=that]
Go.
The infamous LOLLIPOP

70K 2011, 70K 2012, BTH 2012, 70K 2013, 70K 2014
go on ALL the cruises!

Much want:
Æther.Realm-/-Allegaeon-/-Be'Lakor-/-Conquering.Dystopia-/-Equilibrium-/-Haken-/-Hypocrisy-/-Ihsahn-/-Insomnium-/-Kalmah-/-Mors.Principium.Est-/-Ne.Obliviscaris-/-Omnium.Gatherum-/-Voyager

Also want:
Aeternam-/-Armory-/-Ayreon-/-Beyond.Creation-/-Bloodbath-/-Bloodshot.Dawn-/-Bolt.Thrower-/-Brymir-/-Demons.And.Wizards-/-Devin.Townsend.Project-/-Dio.Disciples-/-Dream.Evil-/-Eternal.Tears.Of.Sorrow-/-Firewind-/-Galneryus-/-Gojira-/-Gorod-/-Grand.Magus-/-Heathen-/-Hibria-/-Illogicist-/-Immortal-/-In.Mourning-/-Inferi-/-Labyrinth-/-Luna.Mortis-/-Madder.Mortem-/-Obscura-/-Opeth-/-Pathfinder-/-Persefone-/-Persuader-/-Powerwolf-/-Revocation-/-Russkaja-/-Sacrifice-/-Savage.Messiah-/-Savatage-/-Scar.Symmetry-/-Snowy.Shaw-/-Spawn.Of.Possession-/-Steel.Panther-/-Striker-/-Suidakra-/-Tarot-/-Tengger.Cavalry-/-Thaurorod-/-Tony.Macalpine-/-Triosphere-/-Wolfchant-/-Wolfheart-/-Xanthochroid

Repeats:
The.Absence-/-Coroner-/-Onslaught-/-Therion-/-Uli.Jon.Roth
User

Tyr

Rank

Chief Petty Officer

by Tyr » Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:20 am

Stained Class wrote:

There have been a few "false" forms of metal come out since it's inception. Hair metal, Grunge, Nu Metal, Metalcore. What do all of these have in common? They are more about the image than the music. I think there are many black metal bands that this is true for as well. Mind you, there are also the ones that are more about the music and there is always a certain level of theatrics in metal. You could also say that about any subgenre of metal, that there are some bands that are obsessed with their image, rather than focussing on the music itself. This is just my 2 cents.
[discuss topic=that]
Go.

Come on man, i am Norwegian, I was just talking shit :lol:
I don't listen much to it, but I gotta support our main export next to oil,
which also is black.
:givebeer: :viking:
User

Stained Class

Rank

Commander

by Stained Class » Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:42 am

Tyr wrote:
Stained Class wrote:

[discuss topic=that]
Go.

Come on man, i am Norwegian, I was just talking shit :lol:
which also is black.

Well, I think it's an interesting discussion anyways.
Blacker than the blackest black times infinity?
The infamous LOLLIPOP

go on ALL the cruises!

Much want:
Æther.Realm-/-Allegaeon-/-Be'Lakor-/-Conquering.Dystopia-/-Equilibrium-/-Haken-/-Hypocrisy-/-Ihsahn-/-Insomnium-/-Kalmah-/-Mors.Principium.Est-/-Ne.Obliviscaris-/-Omnium.Gatherum-/-Voyager

Also want:
Aeternam-/-Armory-/-Ayreon-/-Beyond.Creation-/-Bloodbath-/-Bloodshot.Dawn-/-Bolt.Thrower-/-Brymir-/-Demons.And.Wizards-/-Devin.Townsend.Project-/-Dio.Disciples-/-Dream.Evil-/-Eternal.Tears.Of.Sorrow-/-Firewind-/-Galneryus-/-Gojira-/-Gorod-/-Grand.Magus-/-Heathen-/-Hibria-/-Illogicist-/-Immortal-/-In.Mourning-/-Inferi-/-Labyrinth-/-Luna.Mortis-/-Madder.Mortem-/-Obscura-/-Opeth-/-Pathfinder-/-Persefone-/-Persuader-/-Powerwolf-/-Revocation-/-Russkaja-/-Sacrifice-/-Savage.Messiah-/-Savatage-/-Scar.Symmetry-/-Snowy.Shaw-/-Spawn.Of.Possession-/-Steel.Panther-/-Striker-/-Suidakra-/-Tarot-/-Tengger.Cavalry-/-Thaurorod-/-Tony.Macalpine-/-Triosphere-/-Wolfchant-/-Wolfheart-/-Xanthochroid

Repeats:
User

KevinP

Rank

Commander

Orlando, FL

by KevinP » Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:58 am

Tyr wrote:Come on man, i am Norwegian, I was just talking shit :lol:
which also is black.

As a Norwegian it's your duty to pimp MADDER MORTEM, your country's best export, if only more idiots knew about them :twisted:
WISHLIST

The Viceroy of Vegemite
Loather of Power Metal
User

Goddess of Metal

Rank

Sub-Lieutenant

Fri May 14, 2010 12:58 am

San Diego, California

by Goddess of Metal » Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:59 am

I was having my morning smoothie and found this awesome video! :beerhorns:
Seems all I am missing from my morning smoothie making ritual is the skull for the top of my Vitamix and a crazy straw! LOL!! This song fucking rules and the lyrics are hysterical!!

http://www.metalinjection.net/tv/view/8 ... ie-alchemy
A.K.A Margie Metalho

2015 - Deck 7
2014 - Deck 2
2013 - Deck 2
2012 - Deck 2 on Barge
2012 - Deck 2
2011 - Deck.3

Wishlist:
Blind.Guardian-/-Demons.and.Wizards-/-Devin..Townsend.Project-/-Dream.Evil-/-Equilibrium-/-Haken-/-Ihsahn-/-Immortal-/-Powerwolf-/-Voyager-/-Dimmu.Borgir-/-Arcturus-/-Borknagar-/-Cain’s.Offering-/-Dark.Moor-/-Fairyland-/-Freak.Kitchen-/-Gwydion-/-Allen–Lande-/-Vision.Divine-/-Vintersorg-/-Diablo.Swing.Orchestra-/-Mob.Rules-/-Opera.Diabolicus-/-Royal.Hunt-/-In.Extremo-/-Avantasia-/-Ancient.Bards-/-Rhapsody-/-Therion-/-Mayan-/-Wintersun-/-Juvaliant-/-Orden.Ogan-/-Samael-/-Apocalyptica-/-Grand.Magus-/-Zebra-/-Nightwish-/-Threshold-/-Revamp-/-Rhapsody.of.Fabio-/-Edguy-/-Myrath-/-Rage.LMO-/-Saint.Deamon-/-Savage.Circus-/-Serenity-/-Stream.of.Passion-/-Suidakra-/-Snowy.Shaw-/-Unexpect-/-Vanden.Plas-/-Warlord-/-Witherscape-/-Amorphis-/-Bane.of.Winterstorm-/-Agalloch-/-Wolfheart-/-Dethklok-/-Dawn.of.Destiny-/-Cronian
User

Stained Class

Rank

Commander

by Stained Class » Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:14 am

KevinP wrote:
which also is black.

As a Norwegian it's your duty to pimp MADDER MORTEM, your country's best export, if only more idiots knew about them :twisted:

+1 Norway actually has a fucking amazing prog scene that noone knows about cus of the overshadowing black metal scene. Madder Mortem, Pagan's Mind, Leprous, Circus Maximus, Spiral Architect, all amazing bands. Kevin wouldn't be crazy about all of them but still.
The infamous LOLLIPOP

go on ALL the cruises!

Much want:

Also want:

Repeats:
User

Tyr

Rank

Chief Petty Officer

by Tyr » Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:38 pm

Stained Class wrote:
KevinP wrote:
which also is black.

+1 Norway actually has a fucking amazing prog scene that noone knows about cus of the overshadowing black metal scene. Madder Mortem, Pagan's Mind, Leprous, Circus Maximus, Spiral Architect, all amazing bands. Kevin wouldn't be crazy about all of them but still.

Leprous is quite good, but the other ones are not to my taste

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtOb0sYm0qg

User

mooyagi

Rank

Captain

Tucson, AZ, USA

by mooyagi » Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:37 pm

Stained Class wrote:
KevinP wrote:
which also is black.

I love Circus Maximus
User

mooyagi

Rank

Captain

Tucson, AZ, USA

by mooyagi » Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:09 pm

Definitely gonna have to keep my eye on this project. Sounds like it could be really, really good.

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=166548
User

Goddess of Metal

Rank

Sub-Lieutenant

San Diego, California

by Goddess of Metal » Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:55 pm

Another gem...

The Black Satans - The Satanic Darkness :beerhorns: :bmhorns:
http://youtu.be/Nh8CfWEnSJ8
A.K.A Margie Metalho

2015 - Deck 7
2014 - Deck 2
2013 - Deck 2
2012 - Deck 2 on Barge
2012 - Deck 2
2011 - Deck.3

Wishlist:
Blind.Guardian-/-Demons.and.Wizards-/-Devin..Townsend.Project-/-Dream.Evil-/-Equilibrium-/-Haken-/-Ihsahn-/-Immortal-/-Powerwolf-/-Voyager-/-Dimmu.Borgir-/-Arcturus-/-Borknagar-/-Cain’s.Offering-/-Dark.Moor-/-Fairyland-/-Freak.Kitchen-/-Gwydion-/-Allen–Lande-/-Vision.Divine-/-Vintersorg-/-Diablo.Swing.Orchestra-/-Mob.Rules-/-Opera.Diabolicus-/-Royal.Hunt-/-In.Extremo-/-Avantasia-/-Ancient.Bards-/-Rhapsody-/-Therion-/-Mayan-/-Wintersun-/-Juvaliant-/-Orden.Ogan-/-Samael-/-Apocalyptica-/-Grand.Magus-/-Zebra-/-Nightwish-/-Threshold-/-Revamp-/-Rhapsody.of.Fabio-/-Edguy-/-Myrath-/-Rage.LMO-/-Saint.Deamon-/-Savage.Circus-/-Serenity-/-Stream.of.Passion-/-Suidakra-/-Snowy.Shaw-/-Unexpect-/-Vanden.Plas-/-Warlord-/-Witherscape-/-Amorphis-/-Bane.of.Winterstorm-/-Agalloch-/-Wolfheart-/-Dethklok-/-Dawn.of.Destiny-/-Cronian
User

Laura

Rank

Commander

cloud 9 chicago

by Laura » Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:27 pm

Goddess of Metal wrote:Another gem...

oh - man, that is baaaaad! :lol: Like your Vegan chef link too. If any of you folks missed this link from ElementOs on the Lowering the Bar thread - check out Semargl (satanic pop metal) - I have watched this about a half dozen times now - it seriously makes me laugh out loud! - the lead singer's dance moves are PRICELESS!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNypkbtv-ig

Oh geez - I gotta turn that off - it's killin' me. :lol: :bmhorns:
User

Goddess of Metal

Rank

Sub-Lieutenant

San Diego, California

by Goddess of Metal » Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:46 pm

Laura wrote:

oh - man, that is baaaaad! :lol: Like your Vegan chef link too. If any of you folks missed this link from ElementOs on the Lowering the Bar thread - check out Semargl (satanic pop metal) - I have watched this about a half dozen times now - it seriously makes me laugh out loud! - the lead singer's dance moves are PRICELESS!!!

I love how The Black Satan's video turns all Grateful Dead sounding at the end!!! Both videos are funny as hell!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
A.K.A Margie Metalho

2015 - Deck 7
2014 - Deck 2
2013 - Deck 2
2012 - Deck 2 on Barge
2012 - Deck 2
2011 - Deck.3

Wishlist:
User

Goddess of Metal

Rank

Sub-Lieutenant

San Diego, California

by Goddess of Metal » Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:49 pm

mooyagi wrote:Definitely gonna have to keep my eye on this project. Sounds like it could be really, really good.

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=166548

I agree! I like when he wrote...Mr. Vortex :lol:
A.K.A Margie Metalho

2015 - Deck 7
2014 - Deck 2
2013 - Deck 2
2012 - Deck 2 on Barge
2012 - Deck 2
2011 - Deck.3

Wishlist:
User

Goddess of Metal

Rank

Sub-Lieutenant

San Diego, California

by Goddess of Metal » Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:07 pm

hehe!! :D

A.K.A Margie Metalho

2015 - Deck 7
2014 - Deck 2
2013 - Deck 2
2012 - Deck 2 on Barge
2012 - Deck 2
2011 - Deck.3

Wishlist:
User

soundcurve

Rank

Chief Petty Officer

by soundcurve » Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:11 pm

Excellent show last night and probably my last before 70K (Please add some more good black metal!!!!) unless I hit up Blood Ceremony in D.C. (and Ghost, meh - Listen to The Devil's Blood!). Lot of openers but once Inquisition came on it was worth the wait. Picked up the kinda out of print "Nefarious Dismal Orations" and a nice blasphemes T-shirt. Definitely a good feel after the show. A "leaving a black metal show feeling a part of my "soul" has been ripped out"-feel, which is perfect, haha. :death: The way one should feel after a good BM show.

Setlist was the same: http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/inquisiti ... 135b4.html

More into going for a show than for photos but here is one.

My only advice for you Laura (only fellow 70ker I know hitting this up, maybe EvilDan) is if you don't care for openers, pre-game for a while before hitting up the show. Doors opened 8pm and I don't believe Inquisition came on till midnight.
BTHFL
User

cycosurgeon

Rank

Lieutenant

Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:24 pm

Bigfoot Country

by cycosurgeon » Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:58 pm

Goddess of Metal wrote:hehe!! :D

Lol..you are so silly. Should have done the middle finger one upside down!
2011: Cruise Survivor
2012: Cruise & Forum Survivor

...So was Laura beside the chieftains
like the bright-growing ash beside the thorn-bush...
User

shaneos

Rank

Chief Petty Officer

Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:59 am

Nashville, TN

by shaneos » Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:12 pm

Goddess of Metal wrote:
Laura wrote:

I love how The Black Satan's video turns all Grateful Dead sounding at the end!!! Both videos are funny as hell!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Another gem from the Black Satan's - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOibIxl3dLo
Life would be tragic if it weren't funny.
User

Laura

Rank

Commander

cloud 9 chicago

by Laura » Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:01 pm

soundcurve wrote:Excellent show last night and probably my last before 70K (Please add some more good black metal!!!!) unless I hit up Blood Ceremony in D.C. (and Ghost, meh - Listen to The Devil's Blood!). Lot of openers but once Inquisition came on it was worth the wait. Picked up the kinda out of print "Nefarious Dismal Orations" and a nice blasphemes T-shirt. Definitely a good feel after the show. A "leaving a black metal show feeling a part of my "soul" has been ripped out"-feel, which is perfect, haha. :death: The way one should feel after a good BM show.

Setlist was the same: http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/inquisiti ... 135b4.html

More into going for a show than for photos but here is one.

My only advice for you Laura (only fellow 70ker I know hitting this up, maybe EvilDan) is if you don't care for openers, pre-game for a while before hitting up the show. Doors opened 8pm and I don't believe Inquisition came on till midnight.

Thanks for the write-up Mike - really looking forward to the show here a week from tomorrow! I'll probably just go for Inquisition since I don't know the 2 opening bands listed so far on the Reggie's site - I usually call the day of the gig to find out when the set times are, and plan accordingly. Luckily, my day off of work that week is the day after since that's my last metal blow-out for 2011, and I can stay out late - yay! Hoping vaderite (who I hung out with at Doro and Danzig) will go as well.
:beerhorns:
User

Laura

Rank

Commander

cloud 9 chicago

by Laura » Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:11 pm

shaneos wrote:
Goddess of Metal wrote:
Laura wrote:

Another gem from the Black Satan's - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOibIxl3dLo

The Black Satans rule! :P (for a good laugh) I must admit I'm kinda seriously digging the Satanic Pop Metal (who knew? :P ) group Semargl. :shock: :oops: :beerwink:
PreviousNext