Post Reply 644 posts
Black Metal
  • Laura
    Commander

Re: Black Metal

by Laura » Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:56 pm

Ah yes....Varg....the poster child so to speak... ;)
    2009-Wacken-2010-Wacken-2011-70K-Lollapalooza-HoleInTheSky-2012-70K-ColdWaves-2013-Lollapalooza-ColdWaves-2014-ProgNationAtSea-Pitchfork-RiotFest-ColdWaves-2015-RockLegendsCruise-CruiseToTheEdge-2016-ChicagoOpenAir-2017-70K!!
    Tyr
    Chief Petty Officer

by Tyr » Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:51 am

soundcurve wrote:
    mooyagi wrote:Varg can go fuck himself :P

Funny thing is that his name before he changed it to Varg was Kristian / Christian.
    And he got kicked out of Åsatroa.....haha

:viking:
  • KevinP
    Commander

by KevinP » Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:49 pm

In case this wasn't mentioned before:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vN_G9NF ... re=related

WISHLIST

BOLT THROWER / MADDER MORTEM / SEAR BLISS / AEON / THE AMENTA / AUTOPSY / MDB / THE 11th HOUR / HAIL OF BULLETS / DORDEDUH / TRIPTYKON / NE OBLIVISCARIS / PORTAL

The Sultan of Stroopwafels
    The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
  • Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:52 am

KevinP wrote:In case this wasn't mentioned before:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vN_G9NF ... re=related

OMG! (am I allowed to use valley-girl-speak when talking about black metal? :P )

That is a fantastic song - just listened to a link you posted on fb and saw it again here. Really, really like this - thanks!

And regarding your comment elsewhere about me being a (very) stubborn broad - indeed I am! Not a true believer in astrology or anything - but I do believe I fit the characteristics of my "sign" pretty much to a T ;)
    2009-Wacken-2010-Wacken-2011-70K-Lollapalooza-HoleInTheSky-2012-70K-ColdWaves-2013-Lollapalooza-ColdWaves-2014-ProgNationAtSea-Pitchfork-RiotFest-ColdWaves-2015-RockLegendsCruise-CruiseToTheEdge-2016-ChicagoOpenAir-2017-70K!!
    WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:31 pm

Tyr wrote:
    soundcurve wrote:
    mooyagi wrote:Varg can go fuck himself :P

Funny thing is that his name before he changed it to Varg was Kristian / Christian.
    And he got kicked out of Åsatroa.....haha

did NOT know that about his name....how ironic! is he a Norwegian Hillbilly?
    2011, Barge to Hell, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2020 SOOOOON
  • KevinP
    Commander

by KevinP » Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:47 pm

Laura, stop taking everything I say LITERALLY. Otherwise I'll have to start calling you a Clueless Broad :lol:
    WISHLIST

BOLT THROWER / MADDER MORTEM / SEAR BLISS / AEON / THE AMENTA / AUTOPSY / MDB / THE 11th HOUR / HAIL OF BULLETS / DORDEDUH / TRIPTYKON / NE OBLIVISCARIS / PORTAL

The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
  • Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:03 pm

KevinP wrote:Laura, stop taking everything I say LITERALLY. Otherwise I'll have to start calling you a Clueless Broad :lol:

Dear Kevin....I'm over taking you literally (I think) :P ....it's just that I was recently reminded how incredibly stubborn I can be (which I don't consider a negative trait btw) by a certain someone, so I guess the stubborn comment struck a teensy weensy nerve. :mrgreen:

so...remember...me = stubborn like bull :beerwink:
    soundcurve
    Chief Petty Officer

by soundcurve » Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:34 pm

WizardBeast wrote:did NOT know that about his name....how ironic! is he a Norwegian Hillbilly?

Not Norwegian but think he might qualify for the title. Lives on a farm in the middle of nowhere I believe.

Re: Burzum re-record

Anywhooooooo, Love Burzum regardless of some rational dislike for the dude from some. I still dig his creative output. It invokes the emotion I look for in Black Metal. The guy is intelligent to me regardless his views (and a very heavy serving of ego). Guy I'd like to share a few brews to cut through some of the sensationalism/hype to suss out. :beerwink:

Not sure this re-record really needed to exist but it is nice to hear that regardless changing the shit recording methods (A staple of old BM) the songs are still solid.
    Tyr
    Chief Petty Officer

by Tyr » Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:03 am

soundcurve wrote:
    WizardBeast wrote:did NOT know that about his name....how ironic! is he a Norwegian Hillbilly?

Not Norwegian but think he might qualify for the title. Lives on a farm in the middle of nowhere I believe.

He is Norwegian, from Bergen.

Another funny thing about him: When he had his first leave from prison, (yes in norway prisoners get leave to go out and visit familt and shit)
    he hijacked a Volvo, kicked the family that was in it out and headed for Sweden, he got second thoughts or whatever and gave up running to Sweden,
    but he got more prisontime added, hahaha, so there you go for inteligent.
    soundcurve
    Chief Petty Officer

by soundcurve » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:00 am

Tyr wrote:
    soundcurve wrote:

He is Norwegian, from Bergen.

Another funny thing about him: When he had his first leave from prison, (yes in norway prisoners get leave to go out and visit familt and shit)
    he hijacked a Volvo, kicked the family that was in it out and headed for Sweden, he got second thoughts or whatever and gave up running to Sweden,
    but he got more prisontime added, hahaha, so there you go for inteligent.

Meant I am not Norwegian. Not sure if the term hillbilly is applicable in Norway.

Yea, The prison system in Norway seems a bit more relax. I believe he got access to computers, musical instruments, etc. (Wrote those two ambient albums in prison) I'd say intelligence doesn't necessary mean someone is wise. Intelligent people can make some very poor decisions.
    soundcurve
    Chief Petty Officer

by soundcurve » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:19 am

SlaytanicE21 wrote:Wasn't it supposed to sound like shit? :? Maybe this one sounds like a tree full of cicadas, eh? :roll:

Yea, the whole recording approach was a rebellion to what should be done in a proper studio with the first 3 albums. Some of the tempos are different from the orginal song (slow parts groove a bit better) though the production still isn't Black album quality :lol:

Difference being better drum and guitar production. The vocals aren't as manic and you can understand the lyrics a bit more. Give it a scope if you dig burzum (Though I think I might be the only one on the forum that does :lol: ).
    Org.
    Black Spell of Destruction http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWGveho-rg0
    New.
    Spell of Destruction http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0eSgSvhhns
    WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:23 am

Anyone heard of Otargos from France?

SICK video (if you're impatient you might want to skip past the talking part...) and awesome song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-XN4Yj0 ... ure=relmfu
    shaneos
    Chief Petty Officer

by shaneos » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:02 pm

Just discovered these guys today - Blodsgard https://www.facebook.com/BlodsgardOfficial

Unsigned Norwegian Black Metal. These have to be some of the better demos I've heard recently as far as musicianship and production.
    Life would be tragic if it weren't funny.
    Skwizgar
    Petty Officer

by Skwizgar » Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:35 pm

Say what you will about the Black Satans, but the exploding head at :32 in their "The Mutilation of Christ" video brings a warm tear of nostalgia to my eye.

I light a candle every anniversary, grandpa...
    Amon Amarth - Gorgoroth - (the reanimated corps of) Celtic Frost - Bloodhag -[b] [b]- um, what where we talking about?
  • Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:37 pm

WizardBeast wrote:Anyone heard of Otargos from France?

SICK video (if you're impatient you might want to skip past the talking part...) and awesome song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-XN4Yj0 ... ure=relmfu

Thanks for sharing this Rhia! Great song and interesting visuals - some a bit creepy but still interesting - need to watch it a few more times.

I mentioned somewhere lately (folk metal thread I think), that anytime I see and hear something new (in particular when it is something I like), some song, or influence, or some such thing from my past pops in my head - it's like I'm in constant flashback mode. :? :P Cool and un-nerving all at the same time. :P Anyway...

The flashback that video caused for me was the Leper Scene in the movie Jesus Christ Superstar from 1973. My dad took me to see it in the movie theater when I was a very young girl and I was *completely* mesmerised by it. (it remains one of my favorite movies and musical recordings to this day).

If any of you haven't seen the movie - I highly recommend! Ted Neeley had/has a truly great rock voice imo - also saw him in the live stage production of JCS about 20 years ago.
    The Leper Scene (lepers show up a bit into it) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VGRwsYD ... ata_player

And on the recent "Christian" thread - the idea of heavy metal Jesus was mentioned - Ted Neeley in the Temple scene is one bad-ass heavy metal Jesus!! (starts at around 1:20 when he discovers what has been going on in "his" temple.)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5g77AcTb ... ata_player
    Last edited by Laura on Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
  • KevinP
    Commander

by KevinP » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:44 pm

WISHLIST

The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:06 pm

Last edited by mooyagi on Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    I should get around to updating my signature
    soundcurve
    Chief Petty Officer

by soundcurve » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:30 pm

Laura wrote:The flashback that video caused for me was the Leper Scene in the movie Jesus Christ Superstar from 1973. My dad took me to see it in the movie theater when I was a very young girl and I was *completely* mesmerised by it. (it remains one of my favorite movies and musical recordings to this day).

I remember that movie. It was a pretty good musical. Though I changed the lyrics to "Jesus Christ, super star, who in the fuck do you think you are?"

I prefer this music with sampling from "The Last Temptation of Christ". Deicide - Once Upon The Cross http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9NESceABdA :shred:

A debated verse (as if there weren't enough) from the bible at the start:

Mark 15:34 / Matthew 27:46

And at the ninth hour, Jesus shouted in a loud voice, "Eloi Eloi lama sabachthani?" which is translated, "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?"

Pretty self explanatory to me but religious types like to mold it to what they need. Perhaps Epicurus' Riddle would have serve as comfort which states: Either god wants to do something about evil, and cannot, or they can, but do not. So they're either impotent, and therefore nothing to worry about, or wicked, and therefore not really gods.

I always found that amazing in that it came from a human 300 BCE. The more things change the more they stay the same. (Jean-Baptiste Alphonse Karr)

Though back on topic, yea I have to watch JC Superstar again sometime. Watched that and "amadeus" in a music class in high school back in the day. Good stuff.
  • Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:01 pm

^^^ Mike, nice post as always ;) :cheers:

Listened to that Deicide link - not totally my thing music-wise, but still somewhat enjoyable and interesting nevertheless. The Last Temptation of Christ? - if you are referring to the movie with Willem Dafoe - it is also one of my favorites. It's funny/strange perhaps that I like so many things that have to do with religion since I am not religious personally (I'm agnostic) - it's not the religion per se, but the overarching struggle between good & evil that exists in one's own mind that interests me.

I believe in the historical Jesus (that is, that he existed), but that he was completely delusional in believing he was the son of God. My parents raised me in a very scientific-oriented, non-religious way, so that when I saw Jesus Christ Superstar at the impressionable age of 12 :P , I saw the Ted Neeley character as passionate and sensitive (qualities I was and still am very much drawn to in other people), yet extremely delusional and oh so human!
    So, since I'm still in flashback mode ;) ...the song in JCS that captures this sentiment for me best is Gethsemane....I like to view this as not a struggle he is having with some real external Father or God - but something much more difficult - himself. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3mFBh2z9sc (at 2:57! Heavy Metal Jesus! :headbanger: and the artwork at 3:54! :D :D )

and ha - since we are both fond of lyrics. ;) ....

Gethsemane (I only want to say):

I only want to say
    If there is a way
    Take this cup away from me
    For I don't want to taste its poison
    Feel it burn me,
    I have changed I'm not as sure
    As when we started
    Then I was inspired
    Now I'm sad and tired
    Listen surely I've exceeded
    Expectations
    Tried for three years
    Seems like thirty
    Could you ask as much
    From any other man?

But if I die
    See the saga through
    And do the things you ask of me
    Let them hate me, hit me, hurt me
    Nail me to their tree
    I'd want to know
    I'd want to know my God
    I'd want to know
    I'd want to know my God
    I'd want to see
    I'd want to see my God
    I'd want to see
    I'd want to see my God
    Why I should die
    Would I be more noticed
    Than I ever was before?
    Would the things I've said and done
    Matter any more?
    I'd have to know
    I'd have to know my Lord
    I'd have to know
    I'd have to know my Lord
    I'd have to see
    I'd have to see my Lord
    I'd have to see
    I'd have to see my Lord

If I die what will be my reward?
    If I die what will be my reward?
    I'd have to know
    I'd have to know my Lord
    I'd have to know
    I'd have to know my Lord

Why, why should I die?
    Oh, why should I die?
    Can you show me now
    That I would not be killed in vain?
    Show me just a little
    Of your omnipresent brain
    Show me there's a reason
    For your wanting me to die
    You're far too keen on where and how
    But not so hot on why
    Alright I'll die!
    Just watch me die!
    See how, see how I die!
    Oh, just watch me die!

Then I was inspired
    Now I'm sad and tired
    After all I've tried for three years
    Seems like ninety
    Why then am I scared
    To finish what I started
    What you started
    I didn't start it
    God thy will is hard
    But you hold every card
    I will drink your cup of poison
    Nail me to your cross and break me
    Bleed me, beat me
    Kill me, take me now
    Before I change my mind

You wrote: The more things change the more they stay the same. (Jean-Baptiste Alphonse Karr) - yes - very, very true in everything.
    And :lol: - some may think all of this Jesus talk is far adrft from the topic of Black Metal - but for me at least, it's quite closely related. ;) :P
  • KevinP
    Commander

by KevinP » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:08 pm

Laura,

You really need to rethink your "can't go to MDF this year" stance. There is so much black metal playing, seems odd that you would miss it. Plus they added Absu.

Nike, are you going ?
    WISHLIST

The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
    soundcurve
    Chief Petty Officer

by soundcurve » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:23 pm

Laura wrote:Gethsemane (I only want to say)

And :lol: - some may think all of this Jesus talk is far adrft from the topic of Black Metal - but for me at least, it's quite closely related. ;) :P

Yea, that is a very sad song of doubt.

Expectations
    Tried for three years
    Seems like thirty

Was something I noted of interested putting the 30 yrs. of life before his proclamation as son of god into the equation. I assume to echo that life is the trail. Being human is not simple. Either way I understand your interest in religion. It is very artistic to me as well. From time to time I get looped up in trying to "figure it out" realizing that in 2012 I am no closer than 300 BCE, haha!. I really wish religion was taken more as a art than a faith at times but some could argue that for metal. Would you die for metal? :lol: (I think after a week without I would, haha) Perhaps my love of metal is my faith. :D

Np the deicide track wasn't your thing. I been in a huge Cannibal Corpse Corpsegrinder-era to prep for the cruise. Deicide just happens to be a old fave death metal band for me that I loved. (Though CC-Bloodthrist atm :deathmetal:)
    soundcurve
    Chief Petty Officer

by soundcurve » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:33 pm

KevinP wrote:Nike, are you going ?

The Misfits--Nike-a-Go-Go http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGKiYDE8Z2M

Yea, I am there though trying to figure what day or the whole thing. My mains to see are:

AGALLOCH - so Thursday

And Saturday:
    THE DEVIL'S BLOOD
    OCTOBER 31 (dudes from Deceased)
    MORBID ANGEL
    BRUJERIA

Not to derail the Black Metal Vortex of this thread but I know you are fairly rooted into old school DM but thoughts on corpse grinder-era Cannibal Corpse? perhaps a poll? :D I am finding Bloodthirst and the last two CC albums pretty up to par with my Eaten - Bleeding love of Barnes-era
  • KevinP
    Commander

by KevinP » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:35 am

soundcurve wrote:Not to derail the Black Metal Vortex of this thread but I know you are fairly rooted into old school DM but thoughts on corpse grinder-era Cannibal Corpse? perhaps a poll? :D I am finding Bloodthirst and the last two CC albums pretty up to par with my Eaten - Bleeding love of Barnes-era

I love Eaten back to Life. Wanted to like Butchered when it came out but it's too boring. Didn't like Tomb as Barnes started to sound really shitty. And I'm no expert on the future releases even though I've heard most of them.

I just don't care or enjoy this band at all. I never really cared for George in Monstrosity either. He's vlight years better than Barnes though.

I listened to the new song they posted yesterday and it did absolutely nothing of me. More than likely I'm skipping both of their sets unless nothing else is going on.
    WISHLIST

The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
  • EvilDan
    Lieutenant

by EvilDan » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:50 am

KevinP wrote:And I'm no expert on the future releases even though I've heard most of them.

Not surprised you're not an expert on future releases, but how did you hear most of them? :shock:
    Never take anything I say seriously.

Am I Evil? I am Dan. Yes, I am! :twisted:
    Bentz!
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Bentz! » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:56 am

Sorry if this is out of place, but the Jesus Christ Superstar stuff reminded me of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LyKxzw6cjg

"ROCK ME, SEXY JESUS" from Hamlet 2 (which I found very amusing)
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:14 am

Bentz! wrote:Sorry if this is out of place, but the Jesus Christ Superstar stuff reminded me of this:

My old softball team (league run by a local tavern) had entrance music for each batter. This was my song :deathhorns:
    Bentz!
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Bentz! » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:20 am

mooyagi wrote:
    Bentz! wrote:Sorry if this is out of place, but the Jesus Christ Superstar stuff reminded me of this:

My old softball team (league run by a local tavern) had entrance music for each batter. This was my song :deathhorns:

:lol: nice!
    Did you come out of the dugout with a robe on? Cuz that would have been sweet!
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:29 am

Bentz! wrote:
    mooyagi wrote:

:lol: nice!
    Did you come out of the dugout with a robe on? Cuz that would have been sweet!

Maybe I will next season :lol: I did do a crucifixion pose every time I reached base. I don't think my team was very popular :mrgreen:
  • KevinP
    Commander

by KevinP » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:25 am

EvilDan wrote:
    KevinP wrote:And I'm no expert on the future releases even though I've heard most of them.

Not surprised you're not an expert on future releases, but how did you hear most of them? :shock:

Expert would imply that I know those records inside and out and have listened to them multiple times and maybe have them in my collection. None of those statements apply for me though :mrgreen:
    WISHLIST

The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
    WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:48 pm

mooyagi wrote:

sweet, if i ever had entrance music, it would be The Chicken Dance. because i'm so serious.
  • Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:19 pm

:lol: :lol: I seriously LOVE serious cat(s)!
    Man...did I wig out big time on Jesus Christ Superstar and religion in the past 24 hours! :? :shock: :P (my brain is very fatigued because of it in fact....yet, dare I start a religion thread on off course next?? Hmmm...)

Kevin - re MDF 2012 - sad to say: no.can.do.
    I'm sure it will be great and of course there will be many 70K folks there! I haven't looked at the line-up in awhile, but from what I remember, would love to see Agalloch, Godflesh, Archgoat and St. Vitus again - the last 3 I saw at HITS for the first time and really enjoyed.
    :D
  • EvilDan
    Lieutenant

by EvilDan » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:57 am

KevinP wrote:
    EvilDan wrote:

Expert would imply that I know those records inside and out and have listened to them multiple times and maybe have them in my collection. None of those statements apply for me though :mrgreen:

FUTURE releases? :roll:
    Never take anything I say seriously.

Am I Evil? I am Dan. Yes, I am! :twisted:
    soundcurve
    Chief Petty Officer

by soundcurve » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:10 pm

Laura wrote:yet, dare I start a religion thread on off course next?? Hmmm...)

Tis' be dangerous waters young maiden. Folks can get pretty militant about religion. Rarely a area I get too up in arms about anymore just foreboding of the nature of human.

The last frontier where I still get a bit militant on is politics so that is the only thread I'd avoid as it is grounded in at least 1% fact. :D

Serious cat has nothing on my fave: SKEPTICAL CAT!!!

Last edited by soundcurve on Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    soundcurve
    Chief Petty Officer

by soundcurve » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:51 pm

KevinP wrote:
    soundcurve wrote:Not to derail the Black Metal Vortex of this thread but I know you are fairly rooted into old school DM but thoughts on corpse grinder-era Cannibal Corpse? perhaps a poll? :D I am finding Bloodthirst and the last two CC albums pretty up to par with my Eaten - Bleeding love of Barnes-era

I love Eaten back to Life. Wanted to like Butchered when it came out but it's too boring. Didn't like Tomb as Barnes started to sound really shitty. And I'm no expert on the future releases even though I've heard most of them.

I just don't care or enjoy this band at all. I never really cared for George in Monstrosity either.

Aye, well that is fine. I believe I am a little younger than ye so my golden era in death metal was Tombs, The Bleeding (eaten least loved) though "mangled", Mmmmm), and butchered loved since it had my "friend" Glenn Benton on "Vomit the Soul" and damn, "Meat hook sodomy" nothing? . . . really? :)). All I can say is you are missing out big on "the bleeding". I know there is a bit of magic happening in teenage years that makes one extra receptive to music but "the bleeding" still holds up as classic to me. I agree with Monstrosity. I never felt it and probably reasons why when "Vile" hit the stores I didn't feel it esp. since they dump all groove and got very technical. Thought Barnes was fine though up to Bleeding. Yes, I'd agree the six feet under vocals are horrid.

Oh well, those were my glory days of death metal and what I liked (along with carcass post "symphony" :lol: "Narcotism" FTW! . I know the genre has grown and has way more depth than that but it was my teen years and was driven. Relapse catalogs ordering the most vile looking cover art death metal at the time and taking a risk (per-internet saturation). Meat Shits, Deicide, Morbid Angel, Anal Cunt, Napalm Death, Desultory, General Surgery, Disincarnate, Meat Hook Seed, etc.

Any chance you know the dudes from Brutality? :lol: I remember getting ripped off (or lost in mail) of the tabs I paid for back in the day from the drummer (I was learning guitar at the time). Means nothing now more than comedy. But fuck I was 14 / 15 yrs. old and got dicked over on a 20 bucks MO :lol: . Working at a shit grocery store and having 20 bucks gone was big at the time. 5 bucks a hour, Rawwwwww!!!!!11!11!11!1!!!!! hehe.

On topic, I recall seeing "Mayhem - De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas" a ton in those Relapse catalogs with all the sensational ads. Though never gave two shits . . . still don't. Can't get into to them to this day aside from the "prog album". Even though not a forum fave, I think Burzum dig a plethora more for the "2nd wave of black metal" than Mayhem ever did. - granted a matter of taste perhaps
  • Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:27 am

soundcurve wrote:
    Laura wrote:yet, dare I start a religion thread on off course next?? Hmmm...)

Tis' be dangerous waters young maiden. Folks can get pretty militant about religion. Rarely a area I get too up in arms about anymore just foreboding of the nature of human.

The last frontier where I still get a bit militant on is politics so that is the only thread I'd avoid as it is grounded in at least 1% fact. :D

Serious cat has nothing on my fave: SKEPTICAL CAT!!!

Nope - I is more Serious Cat. :P (although that Skeptical Cat looks exactly like our beloved cat Abbie without the icy stare. :lol: )
    Not that I'm not skeptical, I am.

....partly why I could never call myself an athiest - that viewpoint has waaay too much certainly in it. ;)

Always thought I'd magically know and understand more when I got older - not so! If anything, I feel l know less and things are even more mysterious....a mental state that I have grown to become quite content and comfortable in. :P This is from hitting too many mental brick walls when it comes to figuring certain things out like God, why "bad things happen to good people," and so on...so that's why I call myself an agnostic (dictionary definition that fits my view well: a person who holds that the existence of the ultimate cause, as God, and the essential nature of things are unknown and unknowable, or that human knowledge is limited to experience.)

Back to black metal....
    really looking forward to seeing Dark Funeral! And recently noticed they are coming to Chi-town soon after the cruise - may affect my game-time decision to see them once OR twice on the boat. :beerhorns:
    soundcurve
    Chief Petty Officer

by soundcurve » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:46 am

Laura wrote:so that's why I call myself an agnostic (dictionary definition that fits my view well: a person who holds that the existence of the ultimate cause, as God, and the essential nature of things are unknown and unknowable, or that human knowledge is limited to experience.)

Back to black metal....
    really looking forward to seeing Dark Funeral! And recently noticed they are coming to Chi-town soon after the cruise - may affect my game-time decision to see them once OR twice on the boat. :beerhorns:

Do you live by the agnostic code? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVrfqLVI7ZI :lol: (south park)

I'll probably scope Dark Funeral but honestly haven't gotten too much into them. That song "My funeral" wasn't bad but sounds like a hundred other black metal bands. Any album in particular you been listening too that you'd recommend?
  • Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:10 pm

The Agnostic Code? :lol:
    (and I'm probably the only person here who has never watched South Park. :shock: :shock: (only recently got "extra" TV channels - we're kinda "old school" ;) and never sought S.P. out elsewhere - I probably should ;) )

So... Dark Funeral....
    I had only heard the name of the band before their cruise announcement....soon after bought their latest release Angelus Exuro Pro Eturnus - like it very much! On page 6 of this thread, I talked a lot about the song My Funeral and especially the video - really brilliant I think. Another song I was really getting into today from that album is Stigmata - rather STIG-MA-TA!! Awesome! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVKWRGrb ... ata_player You mentioned you think they sound like a hundred other black metal bands. Perhaps? But I think you've listened to a ton more black metal bands than me - so I wouldn't know that necessarily. If they are sticking to a standard formula, I think they do it very well. ;)

The other album I have of theirs (bought a few weeks ago) is Vobuscum Satanas which I also like very much. I've read a fair amount of comments on their music, and I agree that a lot of what I've heard fits some common descriptive words: brutal, repetitive, and relentless. But, if you find that kind of thing appealing - I think they are masters at it! On the relentless and repetitive front, I've enjoyed a lot of *that* - from early 80s industrial to contemporary "rave" music. The song that I've been particularly fixated on for several months now that is ultra relentlessly repetitive (and I love it!) is the song Pulp (1990) by Godflesh http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJEmNyazJFo - it also has the ultimate stripped down lyrics - When on my own, I feel free, I can refuse. Arms wait enfold, Nothing left for me. Waiting. Pulp. Don't know if any of you 2012 MDFers are into Godflesh (I think they are on the bill), but they were one of my top five faves at HITS. Unfortunately, they didn't play Pulp at HITS, but played my second favorite by them - Christbait Rising http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsWv9nFLl_s - it was really loud and totally mesmerising....I was so into that set. :D :cool: I realize that kind of music is not to everyone's liking, but just sayin.' I can't explain why I like it really, I just do.

Back to Dark Funeral, the reason why I'm really keen on seeing a band like them live - is that kind of sound (preferably very loud) is to me best experienced live. Add to that - they'll be decked out all evil and I know I'll love it. :beerwink:
    soundcurve
    Chief Petty Officer

by soundcurve » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:47 pm

^^^^
    South Park can be pretty funny though some are hit and massive miss. You can watch em for free online at the main site though. I have little access to TV as well as I never watch it and feel it a waste to buy. I just recently watched that episode and when you said agnostic it reminded me of it. Apparently you are suppose to like Dr. Pepper too! haha.

Though I'd call myself a Agnostic (Regarding Atheism - "that viewpoint has waaay too much certainly in it. ;) " same reason, it is too absolute!) nowadays with religion though I use to go along with Deism - in religious philosophy is the belief that reason and observation of the natural world, without the need for organized religion, can determine that the universe is the product of an all-powerful creator. With all-powerful creator being left open to interpretation. Which is pretty much a Agnostic. In short, I am sure there is something greater out there but is that considered a god? meh. I don't believe in ghosts ( love ones never came back to visit me) or life after death though I feel our body is simply a vessel for all that what makes us a person. Seeing people I loved dead and the echo of "that is not them" in my head I realized the dead live on in the living with our memories. I understand the fear of death but think it is pretty much like going to sleep (hence why I LOVE Epicurus' Riddle, It tries to comfort fear). Do you really recall going to sleep and losing X hours? Do you recall your time in gestation? Why fear it? I feel it is nurturing the ego of (wo)man to think we live forever (afterlife). I think immortality can only be reached 3 ways: Have kids, Doing something horrible, Doing something great. I use to cycle this in my head a lot but now am more intrigued by people that can accept an unprovable on faith. I find faith kinda funny as it is just giving up to me. Why use the most awesome trait of being human to question and just pacify it with a false absolute? But I understand some people have different needs to get by day to day so avoid making a big stink about it. As long as no one is telling me "this is the only way" I can hang with any type of religious person. My faith will be always in humanity. We can do some horrible shit but at the same time can do some of the most mind blowing amazing things. The latter is what I wish for our future.

"Christbait Rising" is a great song. I can't say I am extremely hardcore into them but like two bands that they pretty much "made" and the reason they exist (and killing joke). They are Fear Factory and Prong. They owe a shit ton of cred to godflesh and omit it. They are definably a band (godflesh) I know with the mood and more listens I would like more. Hell I remember being into Scorn a ton which has their vibe.

As for Dark Funeral, I'll scope the newest more. I mean, Marduk can be lumped into what I'd consider a "Meats and Potatoes" type Black Metal band but their punk execution to playing and performance makes me respect them a ton more. They don't do anything extremely innovative but still strike a chord with me.
  • Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:04 pm

^^^ this is a great, thoughtful post :cheers: and I guess I hadn't responded until now because I have too much on my mind on the religion front atm, and got too bollixed up trying to write anything halfway brief that made any sense. :lol: I highly doubt there will be time for such a discussion on the boat (or a desire to have such a conversation in that setting :beerwink: ) - but if there was, it would be nice to continue it there. :P

I must say for now though, just because I have *not* been able to get it out of my head (!) - that the Gethsemene (I only want to say) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3mFBh2z ... re=related song from Jesus Christ Superstar has really stuck with me since I first brought it up several posts ago....I think many of the words are relevant to anyone who is facing imminent death, that is - the questioning, loneliness, fear, anger, the "bargaining" with god, final acceptance, and so on. I agree with what you said that it is a sad song of doubt....to me it is indeed that...and so much more. I always found the whole Jesus story (not to mention all the negative repercussions of Christianity) so incredibly sad. I think Andrew Lloyd Weber and Tim Rice (who I think were only in their early 20s when they wrote it) captured some aspects of that really well. I love it when songs have the power to be so meaningful to a person.

opening scene from the JCS movie (1973) - Heaven on Their Minds http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDzxn66W3uM
    (Carl Anderson - RIP - was so great in the Judas role and who I saw perform it live - I remember the controversy about the fact that they cast a black man as Judas)

My mind is clearer now
    At last
    All too well
    I can see
    Where we all
    Soon will be
    If you strip away
    The myth
    From the man
    You will see
    Where we all
    Soon will be

Jesus!
    You've started to believe
    The things they say of you
    You really do believe
    This talk of God is true

And all the good you've done
    Will soon be swept away
    You've begun to matter more
    Than the things you say

Listen Jesus
    I don't like what I see
    All I ask is that you listen to me
    And remember
    I've been your right hand man all along
    You have set them all on fire
    They think they've found the new Messiah
    And they'll hurt you when they find they're wrong

I remember when this whole thing began
    No talk of God then, we called you a man
    And believe me
    My admiration for you hasn't died
    But every word you say today
    Gets twisted 'round some other way
    And they'll hurt you if they think you've lied

Nazareth's most famous son
    Should have stayed a great unknown
    Like his father carving wood
    He'd have made good
    Tables, chairs and oaken chests
    Would have suited Jesus best
    He'd have caused nobody harm
    No one alarm

Listen Jesus, do you care for your race?
    Don't you see we must keep in our place?
    We are occupied
    Have you forgotten how put down we are?
    I am frightened by the crowd
    For we are getting much too loud
    And they'll crush us if we go too far
    If we go too far

Listen Jesus to the warning I give
    Please remember that I want us to live
    But it's sad to see our chances weakening with ev'ry hour
    All your followers are blind
    Too much heaven on their minds

It was beautiful, but now it's sour
    Yes it's all gone sour
    Ah --- ah ah ah --- ah
    God Jesus, it's all gone sour

Listen Jesus to the warning I give
    Please remember that I want us to live
    So come on, come on, listen to me.
    Ah --- ah
    Come on, listen, listen to me.
    Come on and listen to me.
    Ah --- ah

and not too adrift from the Black Metal topic since many bm types like to use the symbolism of the upside down cross, the antichrist, and so on......
    the Crucifixion scene from JCS....(I can't think of any worse way to die :? )
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ER64Oe77NR8

soundcurve
    Chief Petty Officer

by soundcurve » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:06 am

Laura wrote:^^^ this is a great, thoughtful post :cheers: and I guess I hadn't responded until now because I have too much on my mind on the religion front atm, and got too bollixed up trying to write anything halfway brief that made any sense. :lol: I highly doubt there will be time for such a discussion on the boat (or a desire to have such a conversation in that setting :beerwink: ) - but if there was, it would be nice to continue it there. :P

Haha, yea I think we will be more in a party mode than getting into deeper topics! Controversy in Judas being black? :lol: That should be with Jesus being white. More so, seems black metal love St. Peter! :lol:

Post Reply 644 posts