Locked 28 posts Page 1 of 1
guard your health
  • oscartwtenicomia
    Wiper

guard your health

by oscartwtenicomia » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:24 pm

Maternal Deaths Rising in the US Due To Lack Of Healthcare C-sections: US Last In Industrialized Countries
    Captain Metal
    Ensign

Re: guard your health

by Captain Metal » Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:04 am

Is this some kind of spam?
    Vader-Dream Evil-Accept-Thrash Or Die-Evile-Brainstorm-Kalmah-Paradox-The Crown-Morgana Lefay-Gama Bomb-Hail Of Bullets-Powermad-Firewind-Hypocrisy-Iron Savior-Communic.....FOR 2015!
    CharleneThrashes
    Petty Officer

by CharleneThrashes » Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:42 am

Are C-sections are requirement for boarding the boat or some shit like that?

70000 Tons of Metal Onboard Success: Take Fucking 2! Divorce
    kept me from the last one, but I won't take "no" for an answer this time.
    TOM CRUISE
    Lieutenant-Commander

by TOM CRUISE » Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:43 am

I thought maybe this was KevinP in disguise. :lol:
    70K- 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2024 - Cabin 2350. Barge to hell -2012
  • Metalwrath

by Metalwrath » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:43 am

This is a metal cruise forum.
    Go away :P
    bestialbekah
    Crewman

by bestialbekah » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:48 am

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :shock:
  • Schluckspecht666
    Petty Officer

by Schluckspecht666 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:02 pm

WTF ?
    TOM CRUISE
    Lieutenant-Commander

by TOM CRUISE » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:41 pm

guard your health my ass, I should show him my lungs! (blows smoke in spammers face)
    70K- 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2024 - Cabin 2350. Barge to hell -2012
    Zeh
    Chief Petty Officer

by Zeh » Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:22 pm

My liver needs to be guarded.
    -----------------
    Zeh
    Captain Metal
    Ensign

by Captain Metal » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:32 pm

...So you can destroy it on this cruise :lol:

C-Sections For everybody! :headbanger:
    Vader-Dream Evil-Accept-Thrash Or Die-Evile-Brainstorm-Kalmah-Paradox-The Crown-Morgana Lefay-Gama Bomb-Hail Of Bullets-Powermad-Firewind-Hypocrisy-Iron Savior-Communic.....FOR 2015!
    Zeh
    Chief Petty Officer

by Zeh » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:45 am

Captain Metal wrote:...So you can destroy it on this cruise :lol:

Do you think I want to die with a shinning new liver? No way! :D
    -----------------
    Zeh
  • KevinP
    Commander

by KevinP » Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:03 pm

TOM CRUISE wrote:I thought maybe this was KevinP in disguise. :lol:

I'm not sure how to take that :? :? :?

Stupid questions, weird posts, :? :? :?
    WISHLIST

BOLT THROWER / MADDER MORTEM / SEAR BLISS / AEON / THE AMENTA / AUTOPSY / MDB / THE 11th HOUR / HAIL OF BULLETS / DORDEDUH / TRIPTYKON / NE OBLIVISCARIS / PORTAL

The Sultan of Stroopwafels
    The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:53 am

Not sure wtf spawned this thread. Maybe a bot but some interesting and entertaining replies since then at least haha...

Related to health though, I am curious, how many of you fine folks have, do or have considered wearing earplugs to metal gigs?

The reason I ask is that I do it all the time now. Aside from being a fan, I also play guitar and write etc. A few years ago, i began pursuing a degree in music theory and discovered part way through that I was having a very hard time with some of the finer points of pitch identification. Then I found myself in a very quiet environment (no computer hum or ticking clocks etc) and discovered I had a barely discernible, constant ringing in my ears. I ended up going for tests and such and was told that I have some mild hearing damage at certain ranges and that, although we all encounter some over age, much of mine could easily be attributed to my years of attending shows and rehearsals where my ears would ring for a day or so afterward. It could also be attributed to other factors like workplace noise from working on construction sites when I was in my 20's but I definitely have more damage than what's considered normal for someone my age.

It really messed me up at the time and I actually dropped the course as a result, although there were other factors and I may return some day. I don't let this stop me from going go gigs or playing or anything but it does kind of suck. So yeah, I've since found some pretty cool earplugs designed for musicians that cut the overall volume but don't target specific frequencies, thus maintaining the integrity of the performances I attend. Just thought I'd ask if anyone else had any similar experiences and maybe just a caution to others... If ya wanna be sure to still be enjoying your metal when you're in your 50's or 60's and so on, some precautions now may go a long ways towards keeping it loud AND discernible ;)
    So far at least, 2011, 2012 & 2015 were enough for me
    :shred:Book 'em ANDO!! :headbanger:

:boobs: 2018/2019 Hockeyagi Champion :boobs:
  • KevinP
    Commander

by KevinP » Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:05 am

I started wearing earplugs a long time ago. I have tinitus, but I've been told I have no damage to my ears, and since there is no pain the doctors have no idea what it is or or where it came from.

But I know that if I don't wear plugs my ears ring and I'm tone deaf for a few days. The plugs basicially allow me to be 90% better and not uncomfortable the next few days.
    WISHLIST

BOLT THROWER / MADDER MORTEM / SEAR BLISS / AEON / THE AMENTA / AUTOPSY / MDB / THE 11th HOUR / HAIL OF BULLETS / DORDEDUH / TRIPTYKON / NE OBLIVISCARIS / PORTAL

The Sultan of Stroopwafels
    The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
  • Metalwrath

by Metalwrath » Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:08 am

I refuse to wear ear plugs.Always have always will.
    TOM CRUISE
    Lieutenant-Commander

by TOM CRUISE » Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:49 am

Metalwrath wrote:I refuse to wear ear plugs.Always have always will.

your joking right?

Take it from an old 47 (almost 48) year old fart. I did not start wearing ear plugs until around 10 years ago. I had a hearing test a few months back and I have permanent high pitched hearing loss. So chicks voices are hard for me to hear. I have to read their lips. (get your minds out of the gutter guys)

The DR suggested hearing aids and I told him to piss off and walked out angry.
  • Metalwrath

by Metalwrath » Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:56 am

Thanks for the concern but i think i'll pass.
    I don't do earplugs.
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:16 am

TOM CRUISE wrote:

your joking right?

I guess it's another of those, "ya don't know what ya got til it's gone" things. I smoked cigarettes for years too until it started impacting my health. We always think it won't happen to us. It's something to do with that youthful perception of being bulletproof I think.

Zeh
    Chief Petty Officer

by Zeh » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:27 am

Good reply. I should use earplugs, but I always forget it. Shows and rehersals, as told by ShoreSlayer, really destroy our hearing.
    -----------------
    Zeh
    CharleneThrashes
    Petty Officer

by CharleneThrashes » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:30 am

TOM CRUISE wrote:

your joking right?

Take it from an old 47 (almost 48) year old fart. I did not start wearing ear plugs until around 10 years ago. I had a hearing test a few months back and I have permanent high pitched hearing loss. So chicks voices are hard for me to hear. I have to read their lips. (get your minds out of the gutter guys)

The DR suggested hearing aids and I told him to piss off and walked out angry.

I wear earplugs when I remember because I have noticed a loss at age 29.... BUT I really only wanted to comment to laugh about the lips. :lol:

70000 Tons of Metal Onboard Success: Take Fucking 2! Divorce
    kept me from the last one, but I won't take "no" for an answer this time.
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:44 am

The plugs I mentioned above are good for several shows each so long as ya wash them after and keep em in the little case they come in. I'm down to my last 2 pair actually and have to remember where to get them so I'll see if I can find a link right now...

These are the ones I use http://earplugstore.stores.yahoo.net/mackshearplugs.html. They're quite cheap compared to some of the others they offer.

You can invest in custom ones where you actually go in and they pour wax in your ear to make a mold that you can use for the rest of your life and just pop these little inserts in but they're much more expensive.

Oh and no, although I can see how it may look that way, I don't work for these guys. Just looking out for y'all :lol:

Captain Metal
    Ensign

by Captain Metal » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:12 pm

I learned, long ago, the necessity of using earplugs. I started noticing some ringing in my ears when it was quiet and realized that if I didn't do something to protect my hearing, that I would end up walking around with a horn sticking out of my ear going "Huh?" :lol:

I checked out the link, and I've been meaning to get some earplugs of that sort for awhile now. I might have to order myself a pair

I was definitely using some earplugs last night when I saw WASP, as I am definitely not enduring any further hearing loss over Blackie
    DrAmygdala
    Petty Officer

by DrAmygdala » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:41 pm

I started using earplugs in 2005. I forgot my earplugs when I saw Moonspell after I'd been using them for about 2 years and I couldn't believe how I lived without them before. Now I have a backup pair just in case I lose one.
    GhostMemory
    Crewman

by GhostMemory » Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:03 pm

I've never used earplugs either, my hearing got damaged when I was 4 years old after an infection so I guess I never felt the need to protect something that was already damaged. Either that or I can just use the excuse that I'm young, foolhardy and reckless.
    2011: CABIN #6526
    2012: CABIN #8074
    2013: AWOL
    2014: AWOL

Current mood: Just ate a pinecone...
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:07 pm

GhostMemory wrote:Either that or I can just use the excuse that I'm young, foolhardy and reckless.

Yeah, like I said earlier, I think aging and recognizing some consequences has a lot to do with it. I would never try to begrudge you the recklessness of your youth. Too many good times and great memories come from it. All I would say is just keep your attention on the quality of your hearing and watch (listen) closely a few days after big gigs to make sure the ringing has completely vanished. Just take a few moments each week to sit with no tvs or computers or anything on and really listen. If you don't hear any ringing then you've probably fully recovered. Also, have your hearing tested every once in a while cuz I don't think all people have a constant ringing present like I do but can still have loss of range like Tom Cruise described above. Who knows, when you're in your 60's ya might get to go on the first ever Heavy Metal / Space Voyage Cruise (150,000 Tons of Gravity?) and you wouldn't want to have to pass cuz you can no longer hear guitar solos. :shock:

Dark Dreams
    Petty Officer

by Dark Dreams » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:37 pm

TOM CRUISE wrote:guard your health my ass, I should show him my lungs! (blows smoke in spammers face)

That's one of the best knee slapping material in a long time! :lol: :givebeer:
    Disaster Area
    Lieutenant
    Location: Ventura<California<USA<North America<Western Hemisphere<Earth

by Disaster Area » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:12 pm

Do I wear earplugs? That's a yes, and a blindfold if Lemmy is playing, otherwise I get fixated on those warts...

In fact I am proudly displaying a lovely orangey colored one in my profile pic ------------->
    Last edited by Disaster Area on Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Disaster Area: a plutonium rock band from the Gagrakacka Mind Zones, are generally held to be not only the loudest rock band in the history of the Galaxy, but the loudest noise of any kind at all.

Vet of 2011,12,14,15,16
  • KK Cruiser
    Petty Officer

by KK Cruiser » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:26 pm

I have always worn them and always will. Although someone mentioned not being able to hear Chick's voices, which appeals to me often.
Locked 28 posts Page 1 of 1