Post Reply 644 posts
Black Metal
  • Laura
    Commander

Re: Black Metal

by Laura » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:42 am

soundcurve wrote:
    Laura wrote:Just listened to a few songs so far – definitely my kinda thing. Haha – although I don’t think I’ve heard a Norwegian black metal band so far that I *didn’t* like.

From the new album Conquering Death just released a few weeks ago.
    And a Colder Breed: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5LhgYVi ... re=related

And a song from an earlier album called The Great Leviathan of the Northern Sky:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWdxsXb9 ... 4BAE78CF57

Ahoy Laura,

It is good though the orchestra/string parts seem to dwarf the band a little. I think I am pretty set in my black metal journey for a bit :D. I been finish a lot of my own tunes which is a journey in itself when having to do all the parts. But I enjoy it! I am trying to think of the last black metal band that I "discovered". Really just re-listening to many of good albums.

Been looking forward to the new Nachtmystium, new songs are excellent.

My fave so far: http://soundcloud.com/centurymediarecor ... d-hope-and

Has a very desolate feel that I love and speaking of orchestra I like the use of (synth) horns. I feel they merge well with guitars, been something I been working into my material.

The other which is a bit more straight ahead BM vibe: http://soundcloud.com/centurymediarecor ... ng-machine

Still need to book the Barge!

The Nachtmystium tracks sound good so far - not a band I've really listened to although I enjoyed them when I saw them open for Marduk in 2009.

And yes, you do need to book the Barge! :heavydrink:
    2009-Wacken-2010-Wacken-2011-70K-Lollapalooza-HoleInTheSky-2012-70K-ColdWaves-2013-Lollapalooza-ColdWaves-2014-ProgNationAtSea-Pitchfork-RiotFest-ColdWaves-2015-RockLegendsCruise-CruiseToTheEdge-2016-ChicagoOpenAir-2017-70K!!
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:07 am

My friend and former cabinmate from the first cruise just recorded a demo for his one man black/thrash project.

http://kleptocracy.bandcamp.com/
    I should get around to updating my signature
  • Disco
    Midshipman

by Disco » Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:53 am

My cousin showed me this a few years ago. It's pretty funny.

http://youtu.be/ZlKzlfqmzpQ
    Melloboat - 2008
    70k Tons - 2011
    70k Tons - 2013
    70k Tons - 2018
    soundcurve
    Chief Petty Officer

by soundcurve » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:42 pm

Good news for me and fans of these bands. Looks like I got a good pregame with Nachtmystium and Weapon stopping by! \m/ So if they don't make BTH no biggie.

NACHTMYSTIUM, JARBOE, WEAPON - 2012 TOUR DATES
    11/4 Austin, TX @ Fun Fun Fun
    11/6 Tempe, AZ @ Rocky Point
    11/8 Fullerton, CA @ Slidebar (FREE SHOW)
    11/9 San Francisco, CA @ DNA Lounge
    11/10 Portland, OR @ Hawthorne Theatre
    11/11 Seattle, WA @ Highline
    11/12 Boise, ID @ Venue
    11/14 Denver, CO @ Marquis Theater
    11/16 St Paul, MN @ Station-4
    11/18 Baltimore, MD @ Ottobar
    11/19 New York, NY @ Saint Vitus
    11/21 Chicago, IL @ Ultra Lounge

source: http://www.brooklynvegan.com/archives/2 ... um_ja.html
    soundcurve
    Chief Petty Officer

by soundcurve » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:09 am

"This from The Past" indeed.

Look forward to this "God Seed" release. Wasn't too big into "Ov Hell". Like the ending of the song a lot. Starts out a lot sounding Ghaal era Gorgoroth then morphs into something more (3 min. on) almost a la Nachtmystium's Assassins-era. Oh those moog filters.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... QrnJdszr4o

Though I am sure all the true gorgoroth fans are lapping up "Under the Sign of Hell 2011!!!" though. :lol:
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:11 am

soundcurve wrote:Though I am sure all the true gorgoroth fans are lapping up "Under the Sign of Hell 2011!!!" though. :lol:

Still haven't bothered to listen and never plan on doing it :lol:
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:16 am

mooyagi wrote:
    soundcurve wrote:Though I am sure all the true gorgoroth fans are lapping up "Under the Sign of Hell 2011!!!" though. :lol:

Okay, I lied. I just tried listening to Funeral Procession just to see what they did. What the fuck was that? Horrible. Horrible. Horrible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y64VDB6tScQ

Don't re-record classic albums! Especially if you're going to ruin the songs that much :bitch:
    soundcurve
    Chief Petty Officer

by soundcurve » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:14 am

mooyagi wrote:
    mooyagi wrote:

Okay, I lied. I just tried listening to Funeral Procession just to see what they did. What the fuck was that? Horrible. Horrible. Horrible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y64VDB6tScQ

Don't re-record classic albums! Especially if you're going to ruin the songs that much :bitch:

Yea, the drumming is sterile as hell (Was the dude who did dissection's reinkaos and the last album). I don't like talking bad of other musician's but sounds more like a human glued to a metronome than a human playing the drums . Pest does a fair job vocally imo but the rest feels very limp. Sounds like they tuned it all down a step too. Better recording but lost a lot of the "grim" atmosphere. I prefer higher quality record vs. darkthrone/burzum specials but you do lose that old 2nd wave BM sound and for gorgoroth they were part of that sound for a while.

I don't have a huge emotional attachment to the album so the impact of a re-record is less for me but would agree with you on re-records. I know artist want to do it as they probably feel / hear it different than the fan and might bug the shit out of the creator. The technical mess ups / poor recording that made it to the album is the album fans love. They should of done at least a reinterpretation of old material giving it a bit more creativity vs. a simple re-record.

I know this falls on cauterized ears but I did like what Burzum did a bit more with "From the Depths of Darkness". Sadly I can't think of many re-records / re-inturps that I ever reference vs. the source though.
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:19 am

Sounds like the drums were recorded on this

soundcurve
    Chief Petty Officer

by soundcurve » Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:06 am

With the Nachtmystium announcement I'd figure I'd blow some dust off this thread and plop the "One Man Metal" documentary link in here even though I mentioned it in another.

http://www.vice.com/noisey-vbs/one-man-metal-part-1
    http://www.vice.com/noisey-vbs/one-man-metal-part-2
    http://www.vice.com/noisey-vbs/one-man-metal-part-3

Might be a good watch for some fans of BM. I tried listening to Leviathan, Striborg and Xasthur with little staying power ( I am sure this isn't one listen material though). Though some of the material harkens to the stuff I dig in Burzum, it feel once you hear another band do it well it feels redundant when there is already a large amount of material of the style. I will say this stuff sounds miserable and takes dissonance to the limit so they did achieve their artist vision imo. I'd like to hear Leviathan with better production as it would sound much more devastating.

In the event anyone on this forum is big into those bands and can recommend a album that is a must please do though not sure I care for my head to be in that space when trying to recover from being in the hospital! :lol: Out of them all I find Xasthur stuff the most interesting. Definitely carries a suicidal/extreme despair vibe to it all which I believe is the main lyrical theme.
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:44 pm

That was a good watch. I'm not particularly familiar with the material of these artists, though I've heard of them many times. I suppose I should give a listen at some point.
  • strha
    Crewman

by strha » Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:44 pm

This is a nice clip of very early Gorgoroth, when Hat was doing the vocals (Hat = "Hate" in Norwegian, don't confuse it with the things you can wear on your head)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mIP0402huw (poor sound, but still cool),

Pentagram, Under the sign of hell and Antichrist are really good albums.
    BTH-2012
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:49 pm

strha wrote:This is a nice clip of very early Gorgoroth, when Hat was doing the vocals (Hat = "Hate" in Norwegian, don't confuse it with the things you can wear on your head)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mIP0402huw (poor sound, but still cool),

Pentagram, Under the sign of hell and Antichrist are really good albums.

Those are all great albums. I've made it no secret that I much prefer pre-Gaahl Gorgoroth (post-Gaahl hasn't been good either).
  • strha
    Crewman

by strha » Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:54 pm

I don't like the Gaahl/Kingofwhatever period to much either.
    But Gaahl has some originality in his voice, the things he have done with Trelldom are way better http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaTv6rJiiP4
    BTH-2012
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:02 pm

strha wrote:I don't like the Gaahl/Kingofwhatever period to much either.
    But Gaahl has some originality in his voice, the things he have done with Trelldom are way better http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaTv6rJiiP4

I'm listening to the link now, though it's failing to grab me. He does have a recognizable/unique voice but I thought it didn't fit too well with Gorgoroth. The songwriting went to shit with King too.
    soundcurve
    Chief Petty Officer

by soundcurve » Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:14 pm

Gaahl/King combo is my preference and am liking the "God Seed" album a lot. I think "Alt Liv" is a better representation of Gaahl vocals though I dig the whole package: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnwItSfmmk0

Definitely dig their output as it deviates from black metal basics by adding more brutal / death metal passages, tempo variance, and tonalities to the songs. Sounded much more sadistic, unorthodox, and punishing. The older stuff though having some good songs, sounds interchangeable with a lot of other BM bands around that time.
  • Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:32 am

Yay...since Anaal Nathrakh was announced today for 70K (and even though I'm not going) - I was inspired to re-read up on them and plan to listen to their latest album Vanitas in a bit. I came across this interesting review of the album which also includes some background info on the band. I love these comments in particular: Anaal Nathrakh's albums are labyrinths of hyperactivity and idiosyncrasy, each part veering and sprinting into an unexpected next direction. Hunt, who's currently completing a Master's Degree in Philosophy, builds worlds of literary references and poetic citations, multi-tracking them over Kenney's one-man audio horror show. It's strange, fearless music-- exactly the sort of stuff that too much additional input might temper by limiting the unbound eccentricity. :cool: :cool:

Anaal Nathrakh had been a band for years and released several albums by the time they finally climbed onto a stage in 2005. In a veil of naivety, the British duo gave itself a Conlon Nancarrow complex, assuming that no drummer could adequately perform their pre-programmed overload of black metal, grindcore and obliterative noise in real time. So rather than stand on stage with a drum machine, vocalist V.I.T.R.I.O.L., or Dave Hunt, and multi-instrumental mastermind Irrumator, or Mick Kenney, sequestered themselves with studio time. They created hyperbolically convulsive and complicated records that didn't heed the need to make sense onstage; instead, they twisted elements of extreme music together until they'd created a horrifying mongrel that sounded like little else. Their best albums, such as 2004's Domine Non Es Dignus and 2009's brilliant In the Constellation of the Black Widow, transgress a dozen forms of heavy at a brutal, unrepentant clip.

Anaal Nathrakh eventually started playing live, refuting their own hypothesis by recruiting a quite-capable rhythm section that now joins the band for shows but not on albums; rare one-offs morphed into the kind of short treks that, later this month, will send the pair to Canada for the first time. Still, the effect of that early decision-- to limit the membership to two and to thrive or perish based only on how immoderate the records could be-- remains: Anaal Nathrakh's albums are labyrinths of hyperactivity and idiosyncrasy, each part veering and sprinting into an unexpected next direction. Hunt, who's currently completing a Master's Degree in Philosophy, builds worlds of literary references and poetic citations, multi-tracking them over Kenney's one-man audio horror show. It's strange, fearless music-- exactly the sort of stuff that too much additional input might temper by limiting the unbound eccentricity.

The band's latest album, Vanitas, is neither its best nor its most frenzied, but it's still incredibly aggressive. The energy and urgency are as high as ever; during these 38 minutes, there's rarely a chance for rest or, more impressive, to predict what's coming. But perhaps for the first time, the previous decade's output does presage Vanitas, meaning that Hunt and Kenney haven't found a new way to ratchet the intensity higher, or to make their shrieking nightmares that much more frightening. Sure, "Feeding the Beast" incorporates a classic industrial breakdown in its first half, while "Todos Somos Humanos" builds toward its seismic rumble through glitches, sampler manipulation and a moment of stoner throb. And this might be the most conspicuously hook-driven Anaal Nathrakh album to date, too: A melody fit for hair metal emerges from the unintelligible screams and death metal snap of "Forging Towards the Sunset", crisscrossing layers of serrated vocals and clean-singing harmonies suggesting metalcore as swallowed by the abyss. During "In Coelo Quies, Tout Finis Ici Bas", Kenney's stacks of pummel and misdirection generally strangle Hunt, who spends the bulk of the song screaming like he's wheezing. A hook crests above the mess, Hunt belting his credo like a true Bruce Dickinson apostle. Previously for Anaal Nathrakh, those intense tangents and sudden switches sounded like revelations; on Vanitas, they simply sound like Anaal Nathrakh, a band that has been around long enough to turn its tricks into tropes.

That's not meant to be dismissive or to suggest somehow that Anaal Nathrakh have gotten soft. Even if it feels familiar, Vanitas is a thrill ride of horrors, still unencumbered by restraint or regard for how these songs might work outside of the studio. "We want a sensation or feeling rather than things you can figure out," Hunt told Invisible Oranges last year, explaining Anaal Nathrakh's approach. Indeed, innovations aside, Vanitas remains incredibly challenging and evocative: In less than three minutes, for instance, "Make Glorious the Embrace of Saturn" sweeps from D-beat to black metal and back again, a transition that's most interesting when those layers clash against one another. As the title might suggest, "You Can't Save Me, So Stop Fucking Trying" is relentlessly mean, the title serving both as a mantra for malevolence and a swivel for the song's switches between old-school thrash, Lightning Bolt-like weirdness and death metal chug. If that sounds a tad impossible, you probably haven't heard Anaal Nathrakh yet. As a stylistic culmination of sorts, Vanitas is a fine place to start.
    2009-Wacken-2010-Wacken-2011-70K-Lollapalooza-HoleInTheSky-2012-70K-ColdWaves-2013-Lollapalooza-ColdWaves-2014-ProgNationAtSea-Pitchfork-RiotFest-ColdWaves-2015-RockLegendsCruise-CruiseToTheEdge-2016-ChicagoOpenAir-2017-70K!!
    soundcurve
    Chief Petty Officer

by soundcurve » Wed May 01, 2013 7:50 pm

Conrad wrote:Brand new Carach Angren video for "Funerary Dirge of a Violinist".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=verpNmiLC5w

Taking this outta another thread as I recently discovered the band and was wondering if anyone mentioned them on here before. And "necroing" this thread from the graveyard :) Man, definitely a release I missed out on in 2012. Glad I found it now. Got the LP/CD and find them to take all the best parts of dimmu, CoF, and Septic Flesh then add their own flavor and design with the story telling and amazing orchestrations. "Funerary Dirge of a Violinist" is a beautiful song. The video doesn't do it justice. If they made the album into a "black metal opera" I'd be there. Much like they did with Entombed. This is easily a best of 2012 for me now. Bummer I missed out on this band for so long but glad I found em. Better late then never! :D

"It plays the music of the dead; music made of lead. "I've had enough of this sickening war and it's murderous puppets! They don't understand the language of music cannot be spoken in death. I never took a life! Maybe now is the time to take mine. In the name of music; shall I cut my wrists or hang myself high by a violin string? A symphonic suicide is what I shall bring!" :bmhorns:

Scope the video Conrad linked for a taste.

• Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Sat May 11, 2013 12:41 pm

Oooh....favorite thread revival - thanks Mike. Guess I've been so progged out in the past week or so with seeing Wilson, Riverside & Pain of Salvation, that I've had little serious cat energy left for black metal. (because it is oh soooo serious :beerwink: - and I like it that way! :P )

But - I shall be back early next week!
    Carach Angren, Melechesh, Dark Fortress....
  • Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:36 pm

Haha - guess I didn't get back to this thread "early next week" as I said I would in my previous post. :P

Kevin recently posted this video by French black metal band Otargos to my fb wall recently (had not heard of them before) to which I replied...
    Brutalicious. :beerhorns:
    Did I coin a new word? :lol:
    Anyway...this video is pretty rad & :cool: (albeit ever so slightly too grim for my taste in one part)....
    buuuut.....overall, I give it at least an A for creativity *and* I dig this song. Will have to check out more Otargos on Spotify.

Otargos: Worship Industrialized http://youtu.be/DeqMR9EzgEU

http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Otargos/16721
  • Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:28 pm

really love this recent interview with Erik of Watain - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cq6DjvEWjzs
    ...and yes, black metal is still my fave music genre regardless of all my love & recent talk here of classic rock (due to seeing several great gigs this summer) and progressive rock/metal due to excitement over booking the Prog Nation at Sea 2014 cruise. Haha - I'd love an all black metal fest - does such a thing even exist? :P The final Hole in the Sky fest I attended in Norway came the closest for me with many of the biggest names & many favorites all on the same bill including Enslaved, Immortal, Satyricon, Mayhem, Marduk, Helheim and others.

Oh, and I decided that I'm definitely going to the Watain gig here in October! Stoked - new album is brilliant!! I hadn't listened to much black metal this summer and it's great to hear a solid new album. Plus I've never seen them so that will be cool.
    soundcurve
    Chief Petty Officer

by soundcurve » Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:14 pm

Laura wrote:really love this recent interview with Erik of Watain - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cq6DjvEWjzs
    ...and yes, black metal is still my fave music genre regardless of all my love & recent talk here of classic rock (due to seeing several great gigs this summer) and progressive rock/metal due to excitement over booking the Prog Nation at Sea 2014 cruise. Haha - I'd love an all black metal fest - does such a thing even exist? :P The final Hole in the Sky fest I attended in Norway came the closest for me with many of the biggest names & many favorites all on the same bill including Enslaved, Immortal, Satyricon, Mayhem, Marduk, Helheim and others.

Oh, and I decided that I'm definitely going to the Watain gig here in October! Stoked - new album is brilliant!! I hadn't listened to much black metal this summer and it's great to hear a solid new album. Plus I've never seen them so that will be cool.

Hail :beerhorns: the one thread I still lurk when I poke back for new announcements . . .
    Yes, Do not turn your back on the true dark side. ;) And Watain, A couple stealer songs do not make a great band though I will never doubt their live show nor their marketing skills and will be at their show. I'll support their cause just not in it for the kool-aid.

Now! what you should be excited for is the new SATYICON. HOLY SHIT! am I loving it. Wish I lived in Norway atm to see http://www.operaen.no/en/Performances/S ... era-Choir/

It is already sold out but woulda been willing to fly to catch it. It would be a once in my life time moment I feel just like BTH. Magic.

And I really dig the most pop song on the album as well being a big Danzig/Gothic metal fan. "Phoenix" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUhJ2XyzmPI

Give it a spin if it remains up. It isn't Satyr (Was Sivert Høyem) singing but love it none the less.

As for black metal fests, they are here and there. It is nice mgla are going to be at next MDF but something as badass as the line-up you hit to occur again, time will tell.

Check out mgla (love this track, #3): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcqC4jtrR9Y Their second album is great. "And you shall know perdition And it will set you free"

And I leave with . . .

Satyricon is all about pushing musical boundaries. What’s your opinion on black metal purists who see any form of musical progress as a betrayal to what black metal stands for?

The people you’re refering to as purist aren’t purists to me. People like me are the purists. People like you mentioned started out rather late and they’re a lot younger than the veterans of the scene and they don’t have the same insight and knowledge on black metal. They think they do in the way they dress and the way they look and the fake way they pretend and behave. It’s easy to see through and I’m not buying into that. I’m not going to be influenced by the politics of those people. I’m inspired by the ways of true pioneers like Tom G. Warrior who showed that the possibilities of black metal and occult music are limitless. It’s so easy to have a small group of people who are really loud and opiniated.They get too much credit and they’re allowed set more precedents than they deserve. I really disregard those people and I don’t look upon them as real. - Satyr ref: http://www.ghostcultmag.com/the-age-of- ... satyricon/

Couldn't agree more.
  • Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:39 pm

Nice (long) post, Mike. ;) :cheers: Lots of great comments & info.

Need to listen to your links still....so will comment about those & more when I do.

I will say this, now though - that the MDF 2014 line-up is looking really great so far - would like to go, but doubtful at this point for me. Cool that it is near where you live!!

:beerhorns:
  • Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:53 pm

soundcurve wrote:
    Laura wrote:really love this recent interview with Erik of Watain - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cq6DjvEWjzs

Hail :beerhorns: the one thread I still lurk when I poke back for new announcements . . .
    Yes, Do not turn your back on the true dark side. ;) And Watain, A couple stealer songs do not make a great band though I will never doubt their live show nor their marketing skills and will be at their show. I'll support their cause just not in it for the kool-aid.

Now! what you should be excited for is the new SATYICON. HOLY SHIT! am I loving it. Wish I lived in Norway atm to see http://www.operaen.no/en/Performances/S ... era-Choir/

It is already sold out but woulda been willing to fly to catch it. It would be a once in my life time moment I feel just like BTH. Magic.

And I really dig the most pop song on the album as well being a big Danzig/Gothic metal fan. "Phoenix" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUhJ2XyzmPI

Give it a spin if it remains up. It isn't Satyr (Was Sivert Høyem) singing but love it none the less.

Spent a good share of today listening to Satyricon's discography, a couple of the new songs from the new album that are up (Phoenix that you linked and another - Our World, It Rumbles Tonight http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDPXZwPtfFg ). The new album is supposed to be on iTunes as of today, but it is still showing as a "pre-order" - I went ahead and pre-ordered it ($9.99) even though I haven't bought any music since I started subscribing to Spotify (mobile version) in January. I love Satyricon (one of my favorite bands - somewhere in my top 10-20) - so I figured I'd give 'em my money rather than wait to see if the new one shows up on Spotify. ;)

Anyway - that song Phoenix is excellent http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6PiB4O1tzM - cool they (well, Satyr actually, since he is the primary songwriter) is trying new things with the guest clean vocalist and different vibe. I don't think Sivert's voice is particularly strong and the song might have been even better with a stronger, more distinctive clean voice, but I'll take it nonetheless - excellent. The Our World song is very good, even though it sounds very much like Black Crow on a Tombstone in parts. Very excited to hear the whole thing and SUPER EXCITED that according to one of the interviews linked below (forget who said it - Satyr or Frost), Satyricon will be doing massive worldwide touring in support of the new album - even perhaps TWO North American tours - woohoooo - I'm there!

Interview with Satyr (August 2013) where he talks about the new album, but also reflects on the first Satyricon album, Dark Medieval Time, that he wrote at age 17 ( :shock: !):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtItb6FJWbo :cool:

Interview with Frost (March 2013): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NuEk3CYZrA :cool:

And my god....I agree with you - I would I have LOVED to have been at that gig at the Opera House in Oslo!! (that's the place I saw Ulver in 2010 and is one fantastic work of architecture & perfect sound - what a setting)

+

(being in....)

= perfect scenario (doesn't get much better than that - gig & destination-wise - in my book at least) :cool: :beerhorns: :cool: :beerhorns: :cool:
    soundcurve
    Chief Petty Officer

by soundcurve » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:02 am

I plan on taking a trip to Norway next year. Changed jobs so need to build up vacation and what not. Would be a waste to only go for only a week. Regarding Satyricon, yea I really like the new album. That and the new Carcass are high up in album of the year.

New Inquisition is going to be released soon so they might be AOTY material as well. Samples: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLZQZaVNi0g
    And the song "Darkness Flows Through the Uneven Horizon" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q98qulfxXcs

HAIL THE CULT! :bmhorns:
  • Disco
    Midshipman

by Disco » Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:34 am

I listened to Immortal's All Shall Fall a few months ago and it was alright. Anyone who is a big of them what albums do you recommend?
    Melloboat - 2008
    70k Tons - 2011
    70k Tons - 2013
    70k Tons - 2018
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:57 pm

Disco wrote:I listened to Immortal's All Shall Fall a few months ago and it was alright. Anyone who is a big of them what albums do you recommend?

Sons of Northern Darkness or At the Heart of Winter
  • DJ Old Man Stares
    Midshipman

by DJ Old Man Stares » Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:25 pm

mooyagi wrote:
    Disco wrote:I listened to Immortal's All Shall Fall a few months ago and it was alright. Anyone who is a big of them what albums do you recommend?

Sons of Northern Darkness or At the Heart of Winter

Not a bad recommendation at all. My personal favorites are Pure Holocaust and At the Heart of Winter. Basically at the Heart of Winter has something for everyone and shouldn't dissapoint a soul.
    Wishlist: Razor, Sacrifice, Laaz Rockit, Mekong Delta, Flames (GRC), Bal Sagoth, Running Wild, Sodom, Paradox, Exciter, Dark Angel, Sadus, Attacker, Believer, Emperor, Skelator, Spellcaster, Aeternus, Holy Moses, Setherial
  • Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:43 pm

soundcurve wrote:I plan on taking a trip to Norway next year. Changed jobs so need to build up vacation and what not. Would be a waste to only go for only a week. Regarding Satyricon, yea I really like the new album. That and the new Carcass are high up in album of the year.

New Inquisition is going to be released soon so they might be AOTY material as well. Samples: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLZQZaVNi0g
    And the song "Darkness Flows Through the Uneven Horizon" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q98qulfxXcs

HAIL THE CULT! :bmhorns:

Nice you're planning a trip to Norway. :D Beautiful country in many ways - spent a total of nearly two weeks there over the course of two different trips. Would love to go back, but no plans in the near future since the 'ole travel bucket list is long (and getting longer all the time - haha).

Haven't heard the new Carcass - never listened to them! :oops: A couple local metal friends of mine thought I'd be going to the recent Reggie's gig (think it was Monday), but I just didn't get my act together Carcass listening-wise and I just wasn't up for going to it "cold." Ah well, can't listen to/get to everything, although I do plan on listening to that new Carcass eventually. Been on an all industrial listening kick this week due to attending this weekend's http://coldwaves.net/ After that, will be getting back to some more black metal with the Watain gig coming up & all. Want to check out mgla who you mentioned and some other bm bands I've never heard. Funny that I've yet to hear any bm band/album that I've truly disliked. The genre simply has an overarching appeal/vibe that is (somewhat strangely) satisfying and just doesn't quit in that regard for me.

Cool about a new Inquisition coming out - another great solid band who I enjoy very much. :beerhorns:
    Last edited by Laura on Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:11 pm

At the Heart of Winter hands down for me. Perhaps I'm so partial to it because it was the first Immortal album I heard and it was in my early bm listening phase - in short, it made a huge impression and I still love it. I'm sure I've told this story before here, but here goes again :P - within a few weeks of coming home from WOA 2009, Immortal was announced for WOA 2010 and I bought my ticket immediately, since I didn't think I'd get a chance to see them anytime soon in the States :beerhorns: (plus I was still on a major Wacken high and decided I had to go back asap). So yeah, I was and still am a big fan - can't go wrong with anything on their discography imo....from another fave, a very early album Pure Holocaust to the most recent All Shall Fail. It's all good.
    soundcurve
    Chief Petty Officer

by soundcurve » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:59 pm

Laura wrote:Haven't heard the new Carcass - never listened to them! :oops: A couple local metal friends of mine thought I'd be going to the recent Reggie's gig (think it was Monday), but I just didn't get my act together Carcass listening-wise and I just wasn't up for going to it "cold." Ah well, can't listen to/get to everything, although I do plan on listening to that new Carcass eventually. Been on an all industrial listening kick this week due to attending this weekend's http://coldwaves.net/ After that, will be getting back to some more black metal with the Watain gig coming up & all. Want to check out mgla who you mentioned and some other bm bands I've never heard. Funny that I've yet to hear any bm band/album that I've truly disliked. The genre simply has an overarching appeal/vibe that is (somewhat strangely) satisfying and just doesn't quit in that regard for me.

Cool about a new Inquisition coming out - another great solid band who I enjoy very much. :beerhorns:

Carcass is great but going into a concert cold is agreeably not the best way to dive into a band unless they are only known for their live show. Coldwave gig looks cool though only listened to Prong and I think Fear Factory will be there. 16volt and acucrack (acumen nation) were lent to me back many years but never fully got into them. Always enjoyed the more straight electronic (a purist, hah :lol: ). Either way, hope you have a killer time!

As for dis-likable black metal there is much but it is more just the basic attempts to recreate something more than something that is straight bad (or taking a piss on the genre for the "lolz"). I think there is a lot of mediocrity in general in music now thanks to technology and the internet. There use to be some filters and you really really had to want to do music to get your stuff out there. Now so much is just people (easily in their home) producing studio quality material that the market is flooded. It is the beauty of technologies advancements and the following reflection of humanity not evolved enough to handle/consume it. If anything I find I prefer to look on the past than to find the latest bands these days.
  • DJ Old Man Stares
    Midshipman

by DJ Old Man Stares » Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:23 pm

Saw Immortal in 2002 when they toured with Manowar. Immortal completely upstaged Manowar and just played a straight set with out any bullshit. One of the more memorable sets I have ever seen. About half of their set was at the Heart of Winter. Excellent stuff.

Saw Carcass last MDF. I've never been a jhuge Carcass fan, but I found them utterly amazing at MDF. I thought the sound was killer and they were surprisingly one of the best bands the entire fest.
    Wishlist: Razor, Sacrifice, Laaz Rockit, Mekong Delta, Flames (GRC), Bal Sagoth, Running Wild, Sodom, Paradox, Exciter, Dark Angel, Sadus, Attacker, Believer, Emperor, Skelator, Spellcaster, Aeternus, Holy Moses, Setherial
  • Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:10 pm

Thanks for your recent comments Mike & Jason :heavydrink:

It's funny that although I love this music so much (and as I've said before here and elsewhere, anything black metal or blackened this or that is the most interesting and exciting music I've ever come across in my lifetime and therefore my favorite music genre overall), I have to be in the right mood to listen to, as well as write about it....and don't always quickly respond to anything specific. ;)

:beerhorns: :beerhorns:

....in anticipation of the upcoming Watain gig....was youtubing and discovered THIS:

Watain: Opus Diaboli (DVD 2012) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GayLKOgoh-s

*runs around in circles*
    I love this. :beerhorns:

• strha
    Crewman

by strha » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:38 am

This probably don't fit perfect under the Black Metal banner, but check out Necrocurses rcent video The devil cobra
    http://youtu.be/RmbivKDnEI4
    BTH-2012
  • DJ Old Man Stares
    Midshipman

by DJ Old Man Stares » Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:39 pm

Speaking of bands that might not necessarily fit the Black Metal banner, I've been listening to Diabolical Masquerade again. Only having released a total of 4 CDs, this project has done no wrong in my book. Listening to the extremely creative "At Death's Design, which is pretty much 61 tracks composed together for one unique album that stands out among a thousand. Just ordered their debut from ebay which is much more traditional BM but still has an absolutely killer production. I don't hear much about them since their career is long over, but I'm curious as to what the rest of you think about them.
  • Disco
    Midshipman

by Disco » Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:54 pm

To all the Emperor fans, where's a good place to start, "In the Nightside Eclipse?"
    Melloboat - 2008
    70k Tons - 2011
    70k Tons - 2013
    70k Tons - 2018
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:22 pm

Disco wrote:To all the Emperor fans, where's a good place to start, "In the Nightside Eclipse?"

My favorite is Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk but In the Nightside Eclipse is probably the proper one to start with.
  • DJ Old Man Stares
    Midshipman

by DJ Old Man Stares » Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:21 pm

I started out with IX Equilibrium, but yeah, like Mooyagi said, In the Nightside Eclipse is a great place to start. Highly recommended. I personally love Nightside, Anthem, and Equilibrium more than most things in the world. Listened to them each more times that Rust in Peace.
  • OwenBall
    Wiper

by OwenBall » Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:35 am

Laura wrote:^^^ thanks for the Samael song link - I didn't think of this one (re: suicide songs) - because I hadn't heard it before! :oops: I'm a Samael fan based on their later albums (in particular Reign of Light, solar panel Soul & Above) - haha - guess I need to get on the stick and finally give a serious listen to their bm music! :death:

It is nice song.. I have never heard it before.. Nice music to relax.
  • Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:43 am

Even though technically they are not a black metal band, thought I'd mention the passing of The Devil's Blood's Selim here....since there is enough of an association with subject matter & certain bm bands. Also, if I'm not mistaken, TDB & Selim were discussed on this thread before.

So, Selim was found dead yesterday at age 34. Cause of death is not known, but from what I know of him from interviews & such, I would not be surprised at all if it was a suicide. Selim strikes me as somewhat of a classic troubled "artiste." Could write more to elaborate what I mean by that, but I'll just leave it at that for now.

I saw TDB on that Decibel tour a while back with Behemoth. Their gig was quite captivating (for lack of a better word). I also own a few of their recordings, and like the music very, very much. A friend and fellow musician on that tour, Pelle of In Solitude, wrote this about his friend Selim on fb since his death...

Our brother is not gone. Our brother never rests in peace. Our brother's plan, and his execution of it, will outlive the very notion of our steps in time. And as our brother's steps are restored to the ground that once waited for him; his destruction lasts forever. For our brother resided and forever resides in the wounds of the world and drank and forever drinks from the shadows that fell and forever falls from them, in the hearts of all living things. And this is where we'll find our brother. In the mirrors of things. Where he recognized his reflection and shall forever remind us of ours. I know brother, that our lesson shall not be solved in this world.

We love you forever, Selim. Let us end it here like you always would end it with your brothers and sisters; Death is the crown of all

/Pelle, on behalf of In Solitude
    https://www.facebook.com/insolitudeoffi ... 06046164:0

Hmmmm......
Post Reply 644 posts