Post Reply 43 posts
Most Pointless Moment 2019
    cowboy71
    Commander

Most Pointless Moment 2019

by cowboy71 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:09 pm

:P

This is all in fun but just wondering what you thought was the most pointless moment of 2019?

For me, as much as I ADORE Delain, I thought given that they only had 45 minute sets, to do an extended drum and guitar solo was POINTLESS!

Also even though I only caught one Kamelot set, looks like they did their usual amount of time wasting with solos, singalongs etc.

Save it for your headlining shows people!!
    Upcoming Gigs:
    -/-Halestorm?-/-Fleshgod-Apocalypse-/-Scar-Symmetry-/-Wind-Rose-/-Unleash-The-Archers
    2025 Wishlist
    Ad-Infinitum-/-Aephanemer-/-All-For-Metal-/-Alterium-/-Ancient-Bards-/-Atlas-Pain-/-Avantasia-/-Battlelore-/Beast-In-Black-/-Believer-/-Beyond-The-Black-/-Brothers-of-Metal-/-Catalyst-Crime-/-Civil-War-/-Circus-Maximus-/-Claymorean-/-Cobra-Spell-/-Dark-Moor-/-Dark-Sarah-/-Dartagnan-/-Diabulus-In-Musica-/-Edguy-/-Ex-Libris-/-Exit-Eden-/-Fellowship-/-Follow-The-Cipher-/-Frozen-Crown-/-Galderia-/-Hammer-King-/-Heavatar-/-Ignea-/-Imperial-Age-/-In-This-Moment-/-Jaldaboath-/-Kaledon-/-Labyrinth-/-Living-Sacrifice-/-Metalite-/-Moonlight-Haze-/-Neopera-/-Nestor-/-Nocturna-/-Orden-Ogan-/-Pathfinder-/-Phantom-Elite-/-Poisonblack-/-Power-Paladin-/-Powerwolf-/-The-Privateer-/-Rexoria-/-Running-Wild-/-She-Wolf-/-Silver-Bullet-/-Sleeping-Romance-/-Sojourner-/-Tarot-/-Ten-/-Thaurorod-/-The-Big-Deal-/-The-Dark-Element-/-Trick-or-Treat-/-Trillium-/-Unisonic-/-Valhalore-/-Vanishing-Point-/-Volturian-/-Walk-In-Darkness-/-Within-Temptation
  • Fulorian
    Crewman

Re: Most Pointless Moment 2019

by Fulorian » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:18 pm

cowboy71 wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:09 pm :P

This is all in fun but just wondering what you thought was the most pointless moment of 2019?

For me, as much as I ADORE Delain, I thought given that they only had 45 minute sets, to do an extended drum and guitar solo was POINTLESS!

Also even though I only caught one Kamelot set, looks like they did their usual amount of time wasting with solos, singalongs etc.

Save it for your headlining shows people!!
    As anticipated, Kamelot did almost identical sets with the usual wankery strewn amongst it.
    Survivor - 16 / 17 / 18 / 19
    Gratch
    Chief Petty Officer

by Gratch » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:52 pm

When the Visions of Atlantis singer sent all the other musicians off-stage and started singing a solo (just her and piano) that sounded suspiciously like something out of the Celine Dion playbook. I find VoA a overly cheesy to begin with, but that display just put it waaaaaaay over the top.

About 20 seconds into that song, we - and about a dozen people around us - got up and walked out of the ice rink. I can only handle so much cheese before my brain breaks, that that did it. :lol:
    Survivor 2016/17/18/19/20

Ultimate Wishlist Bands
    Anaal Nathrakh - Behemoth - Igorrr - Khemmis - Myrkur - The Ocean - Pallbearer - Sigh - Tribulation - Sentient Horror - Turisas - Wilderun - Witherscape - Zeal & Ardor
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:59 pm

Gratch wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:52 pm When the Visions of Atlantis singer sent all the other musicians off-stage and started singing a solo (just her and piano) that sounded suspiciously like something out of the Celine Dion playbook. I find VoA a overly cheesy to begin with, but that display just put it waaaaaaay over the top.

About 20 seconds into that song, we - and about a dozen people around us - got up and walked out of the ice rink. I can only handle so much cheese before my brain breaks, that that did it. :lol:
    Yeah, something about "knowing your audience". Van Canto clearly did, as they were very smart with both their sets by both mixing it up and also by doing original-cover version-original-cover etc.
    Upcoming Gigs:
    -/-Halestorm?-/-Fleshgod-Apocalypse-/-Scar-Symmetry-/-Wind-Rose-/-Unleash-The-Archers
    2025 Wishlist
    Ad-Infinitum-/-Aephanemer-/-All-For-Metal-/-Alterium-/-Ancient-Bards-/-Atlas-Pain-/-Avantasia-/-Battlelore-/Beast-In-Black-/-Believer-/-Beyond-The-Black-/-Brothers-of-Metal-/-Catalyst-Crime-/-Civil-War-/-Circus-Maximus-/-Claymorean-/-Cobra-Spell-/-Dark-Moor-/-Dark-Sarah-/-Dartagnan-/-Diabulus-In-Musica-/-Edguy-/-Ex-Libris-/-Exit-Eden-/-Fellowship-/-Follow-The-Cipher-/-Frozen-Crown-/-Galderia-/-Hammer-King-/-Heavatar-/-Ignea-/-Imperial-Age-/-In-This-Moment-/-Jaldaboath-/-Kaledon-/-Labyrinth-/-Living-Sacrifice-/-Metalite-/-Moonlight-Haze-/-Neopera-/-Nestor-/-Nocturna-/-Orden-Ogan-/-Pathfinder-/-Phantom-Elite-/-Poisonblack-/-Power-Paladin-/-Powerwolf-/-The-Privateer-/-Rexoria-/-Running-Wild-/-She-Wolf-/-Silver-Bullet-/-Sleeping-Romance-/-Sojourner-/-Tarot-/-Ten-/-Thaurorod-/-The-Big-Deal-/-The-Dark-Element-/-Trick-or-Treat-/-Trillium-/-Unisonic-/-Valhalore-/-Vanishing-Point-/-Volturian-/-Walk-In-Darkness-/-Within-Temptation
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:05 pm

The wedding proposal during Van Canto. Not metal. Next year, hopefully someone comes up on stage and serves their significant other divorce papers.
    I should get around to updating my signature
    cegr80
    Lieutenant

by cegr80 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:41 pm

Delain, Kamelot, Visions of Atlantis, Van Canto ... I mean, is it that surprising? :lol:

My friend and I decided to dangerously check Dragony at the ice rink. As soon as we got in, we hear the singer imitiating Arnold Schwarzenegger and then delivering this hideous, hideous high-pitch scream that made us storm out of the venue at once
    2017.2018.2019.2020.2023.2024.GOLD.Survivor|2025 Wishlist:1349-1914-Aephanemer-Akercoke-Alcest-Alkaloid-AnaalNathrakh-AnAbstractIllusion-Atvm-Avatar-Avslut-Be'lakor-Belzebubs-ChapelOfDisease-Chthonic-Darkthrone-DiabloSwingOrchestra-Dimmu Borgir-Dodheimsgard-Draconian-EternalTearsOfSorrow-FreakKitchen-Hamferd-IATT-LochVostok-Marduk-NocnyKochanek-Satyricon-Schammasch-Scour-Shining(Nor)-Sigh-SulphurAeon-Turisas-Ulver-Virvum-Watain-WhiteWard
  • Godflesh
    Ensign

by Godflesh » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:04 pm

Pointless:
    - Any musician from FLESHGOD APOCALYPSE except the drummer. Especially this poor woman who was trying to sing, while being perfectly inaudible. All I could hear was a continuous wall of very fast drum double bass, uninterrupted for 3 minutes, repeat for the next song. I left after 3 songs, even though it was the last show, and there was a pillow fight.
    - The singer for NEKROGOBLIKON speaking between songs. I don't know where he's from (probably somewhere in the US), but I could not understand a single word of anything he said (and I stayed for the whole show).
    - Speaking of goblins, John Goblin. It looks like his only job is to photo-bomb the show.
    - The "jokes" from the singer for KALMAH, I couldn't understand anything, even when I understood individual words. Apparently he did the exact same thing last time.
    Last edited by Godflesh on Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Ethrivas
    Chief Petty Officer

by Ethrivas » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:55 pm

mooyagi wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:05 pm The wedding proposal during Van Canto. Not metal. Next year, hopefully someone comes up on stage and serves their significant other divorce papers.
    There was another wedding proposal at Tristania set.
    ::cough::lame::cough::
    Wishlist 2025:1914-/-Ablaze.My.Sorrow-/-AEPHANEMER-/-Aeternam-/-AETHERIAN-/-AGATHODAIMON-/-ALESTORM-/-ALLEGAEON-/-AMORPHIS-/-ANAAL.NATHRAKH-/-Amon.Amarth-/-Avatar-/-Behemoth-/-BE'LAKOR-/-Belzebubs-/-BLACKBRAID-/-BRYMIR-/-CLOAK-/-Cryptosis-/-Dååth-/-Dark.Oath-/-DESTINITY-/-DIMMU.BORGIR-/-Ensiferum-/-ETERNAL.TEARS.OF.SORROW-/-Finntroll-/-Foretoken-/-Gaerea-/-GROZA-/-Hypocrisy-/-Ignea-/-IMMORTAL-/-In.Aphelion-/-Kalmah-/-Kanonenfieber-/-King.of.Asgard-/-KVAEN-/-Lucifer's.Child-/-MELECHESH-/-Mezarkabul(Pentagram)-/-MGŁA-/-MOONSHADE-/-MÖRK.GRYNING-/-NAILED.TO.OBSCURITY-/-Necrophobic-/-NETHERBIRD-/-Orbit.Culture-/-OUROBOROS-/-PERPETUAL.NIGHT-/-PSYCROPTIC-/-Rhapsody(Turilli-Lione)-/-SATYRICON-/-SHADE.EMPIRE-/-SHYLMAGOGHNAR-/-SODOMISERY-/-STORTREGN-/-Stratovarius-/-SYLOSIS-/-Testament-/-THE.COMMITTEE-/-THE.CROWN-/-THE.SEER-/-THE.SPIRIT-/-THULCANDRA-/-Tryglav-/-TRIBULATION-/-Trivium-/-Turisas-/-Ulfven-/-Unanimated-/-VREID-/-Warbringer-/-Whispered-/-Wintersun-/-WORMWITCH-/-WORMWOOD-/-Zornheym
    2018, 2019, 2020, 2024: Survivor
    2023: Skip year
    AstridDragon
    Petty Officer

by AstridDragon » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:33 am

Gratch wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:52 pm When the Visions of Atlantis singer sent all the other musicians off-stage and started singing a solo (just her and piano) that sounded suspiciously like something out of the Celine Dion playbook. I find VoA a overly cheesy to begin with, but that display just put it waaaaaaay over the top.

Oh wow, I missed this and I'm kinda glad, because I ended up enjoying them despite thinking most of their music was a little too sad for my taste.
  • Phoenix
    Lieutenant

by Phoenix » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:38 am

The Kalmah frontman's jokes. At least their sound was overall better this year!

Survivor:
    Out for 2023
    Razor Ramon
    Midshipman

by Razor Ramon » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:32 am

Kalmah's "jokes"... haha :lol:
    70000 Tons 2019
    Wishlist:Anneke-Van-Geirsbergen-VUUR-/-Battlelore-/-Borknagar-/-My-Dying-Bride-/-Draconian-/-Harakiri-For-The-Sky-/-The-Gathering-/-Anathema-/-Within-Temptation-/-Novembre-/-Katatonia-/-Lacuna-Coil-/-Rainover-/-Moonspell-/-Funeral-/-Isole/-Nightwish-/-Riverside-/-The-Crown-/-Autumnal-/-Aeonian-Sorrow-/-Throes-Of-Dawn-/-Thurisaz-/-Daylight-Dies-/-Shape-Of-Despair-/-Arcturus-/-Be'lakor-/-Ereb-Altor-/-Evocation-/-Tyranny-/-Sulphur-Aeon-/-Ajattara-/-Sojourner-/-Oceans-Of-Slumber-/-Lik-/-Thyrfing-/-In-The-Woods-/-Skepticism-/-Heaven-Shall-Burn-/-Darkwell-/-Vetrar-Draugurinn-/-Therion-/-Haggard-/-Draconian-/-Bloodred-Hourglass-/-Bowel-Fuck-/-Batushka-/-Mork-/-Devour-The-Fetus-/-Perturbator-/-Carpenter-Brut-/-Hallatar-/-Infiltration-/-Myrkur-/-Before-The-Dawn-/-Letters-From-The-Colony-/-Demonical-/-Helevorn-/-Viscera-Infest-/-Wormrot-/-And-Oceans
    My musical taste:http://www.last.fm/user/Anthony3
    cegr80
    Lieutenant

by cegr80 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:55 am

Razor Ramon wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:32 amKalmah's "jokes"... haha :lol:
    I wanna smoke whatever that dude smokes, I mean, Jesus H fucking Christ ...
    2017.2018.2019.2020.2023.2024.GOLD.Survivor|2025 Wishlist:1349-1914-Aephanemer-Akercoke-Alcest-Alkaloid-AnaalNathrakh-AnAbstractIllusion-Atvm-Avatar-Avslut-Be'lakor-Belzebubs-ChapelOfDisease-Chthonic-Darkthrone-DiabloSwingOrchestra-Dimmu Borgir-Dodheimsgard-Draconian-EternalTearsOfSorrow-FreakKitchen-Hamferd-IATT-LochVostok-Marduk-NocnyKochanek-Satyricon-Schammasch-Scour-Shining(Nor)-Sigh-SulphurAeon-Turisas-Ulver-Virvum-Watain-WhiteWard
  • Bob
    Petty Officer

by Bob » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:34 am

Most pointless moment: The muster drill in the Star Lounge (old Diamond/Pyramid).

I've always been on the outside for muster drills. Being in there was body to body packed, took forever, couldn't hear a word anything that was said over the intercom, couldn't see any of the several muster seargents displaying how to put on a life preserver. It was a total waste of time. Is this new or has it been hosted in there before and always this way.

PS: I think it was the gal that took our $3 bucks for the meet-n-greet stickers, told me she got so wasted from taking free drinks vs the $3 that she passed out in her cabin. She never made it to the muster drill even when they were banging on her cabin door, she never heard them. LOL I know they delay the begining of the muster drill until everybody is accounted for.
    Wishlist 2024: Ranked in order of:
    1. Line up on the center rail for both sets if announced.

Konvent
    2. Never seen them live.
    Anaal_Nathrakh-/-Burning_Witches-/-Combichrist-/-Dee_Snider-/-Gojira-/-Grai-/-Hanzel_und_Gretyl-/-IGNEA-/-Inquisition-/-Jinjer-/-Lovebites-/-King_Diamond-/-Mgla-/-Opeth-/-Rob_Zombie-/-Spiritbox-/-Temple_of_Evil-/-The_Hu-/-Vader-/-Visigoth-/-Wagakki_Band
    3. Seen them before and would love to see them on das boat.
    Avatar-/-Babymetal-/-Behemoth-/-Corrosion_of_Conformity-/-Fleshgod_Apocalypse-/-Lacuna_Coil-/-Lamb_of_God-/-Meshuggah-/-Metsatöll-/-Myrkur-/-Sabaton-/-Sepultura-/-Suicidal_Tendencies-/-Therion-/-The_Iron_Maidens-/-Wolves_in_the_Throne_Room
    70K Survivor - 2015, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 23
  • Phoenix
    Lieutenant

by Phoenix » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:59 am

Bob wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:34 am I've always been on the outside for muster drills. Being in there was body to body packed, took forever, couldn't hear a word anything that was said over the intercom, couldn't see any of the several muster seargents displaying how to put on a life preserver. It was a total waste of time. Is this new or has it been hosted in there before and always this way.
    I was in the Pyramid Lounge in 2017. My buds and I were actually fortunate enough to get a seat, but it was awful in there. In 2015 I think we were in the dining room, and that was okay? But they've probably stopped doing that now to make way for merch.

Survivor:
    Out for 2023
    Sgt. B
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Sgt. B » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:02 pm

Phoenix wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:59 am
    Bob wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:34 am I've always been on the outside for muster drills. Being in there was body to body packed, took forever, couldn't hear a word anything that was said over the intercom, couldn't see any of the several muster seargents displaying how to put on a life preserver. It was a total waste of time. Is this new or has it been hosted in there before and always this way.
    I was in the Pyramid Lounge in 2017. My buds and I were actually fortunate enough to get a seat, but it was awful in there. In 2015 I think we were in the dining room, and that was okay? But they've probably stopped doing that now to make way for merch.
    My muster station was in the dining room this year. I sat at a table with Mooyagi.
    1914-Abbath-Aeon-Ahab-Akercocke-Alcest-AliceCooper-Alestorm-AmonAmarth-Amorphis-AnaalNathrakh-Anathema-AnnekeVanGeirsbergen/VUUR-ArmoredSaint-Asphyx-AtTheGates-Auðn-Ayreon-BarrenEarth-Behemoth-Be'lakor-BlackBreath-BlackFast-BlindGuardian-Borknagar-Brainstorm-CallenishCircle-Candlemass-CarpenterBrut-ChelseaWolfe-CirithUngol-Cloak-Conan-CravenIdol-Cruachan-CryptSermon-CultOfLuna-CutUp-DarkAngel-DarkFortress-DeadCongregation-DeathAngel-DemolitionHammer-Demons&Wizards-DevinTownsend-Dismember-DraggedIntoSunlight-Dyscarnate-EdgeOfSanity-ElectricWizard-Emperor-Enforcer-Enshine-Entombed-Entrails-EsotericUK-Evocation-Exodus-Evoken-Exhorder-Falkenbach-FatesWarning-Fen-Feral-Firespawn-Flotsam&Jetsam-ForgottenTomb-GeneralSurgery-Ghost-GhostBath-Ghoul-Godflesh-Gojira-Gorguts-Gorod-GrandMagus-Grave-GraveMiasma-GreenCarnation-Haemorrhage-HammersOfMisfortune-Hate-HighSpirits-HoodedMenace-Hypocrisy-IcedEarth-Ihsahn-Immolation-ImperiumDekadenz-InTheWoods-Incantation-InterArma-IronReagan-Izegrim-Kadavar-Kampfar-KeepOfKalessin-Khemmis-Khonsu-KingDiamond/MercyfulFate-KingGoat-Kriegsmaschine-LaazRockit-LacunaCoil-LegionOfTheDamned-LIK-LimbonicArt-Loudness-Lvcifyre(UK)-Manegarm-Melechesh-Memoriam-Mgla-MiseryIndex-Mistur-MonsterMagnet-Moonsorrow-Moonspell-MournfulCongregation-MunicipalWaste-MyDyingBride-Myrkur-MysticProphecy-Nails-Necrot-NovembersDoom-Novembre-NuclearAssault-Okera-Opeth-OrangeGoblin-OranssiPazuzu-Orchid-Overkill-PagansMind-Panopticon-Perturbator-Portal-Powerwolf-Primordial-Profetus-PowerTrip-Prong-Queensryche-RottenSound-RottingChrist-S.O.D.-Sabbat(UK)-SacredReich-Sanctuary-Saor-Sarke-Saturnus-Satyricon-Saxon-Schammasch-SecretsOfTheMoon-ShapeOfDespair-SkeletalRemains-Skeletonwitch-Skepticism-Skyclad-Skyforger-Sleep-SloughFeg-Solstafir-SufferingHour-SuicidalAngels-SulphurAeon-SvartCrown-Sylosis-TempleOfVoid-Testament-TheCrown-TheGathering-TheGreatOldOnes-TheHaunted-TheLurkingFear-TheOcean-TheRuinsOfBeverast-Therion-Thulcandra-Thyrfing-Tribulation-Triptykon-Uada-Ulcerate-Unleashed-Vader-Vemod-Vio-Lence-Visigoth-Voices(UK)-Vredehammer-Vreid-WakeTheDead-Watain-Wayfarer-Waylander-Windhand-Winterfylleth-Witherscape-WithinTemptation-Wolf-WolvesInTheThroneRoom-Yob-Zhrine

2012: Survivor
    2014: Survivor
    2015: Survivor
    2016: Survivor
    2017: Survivor
    2018: Survivor
    2019: Survivor
    2020: Survivor
    2023: Survivor
    2024: Survivor
    BtH(2012): Survivor
  • Donutsauce
    Crewman

by Donutsauce » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:15 pm

Me not having a slice of that 70k cake.

Still wonder if it was good...
    slayergeek
    Midshipman

by slayergeek » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:38 pm

Godflesh wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:04 pm Pointless:
    - Any musician from FLESHGOD APOCALYPSE except the drummer. Especially this poor woman who was trying to sing, while being perfectly inaudible. All I could hear was a continuous wall of very fast drum double bass, uninterrupted for 3 minutes, repeat for the next song. I left after 3 songs, even though it was the last show, and there was a pillow fight.
    The Theater is infamous for having bad sound depending on where you are. Ironically, right behind the sound booth is one of the worst places.

On the theater floor, or in the wings sound MUCH better. From where I was, the sound was great, but I know your milage may very in that venue.
    Survivor
    • 2014,2015,2016,2017,2018,2019,2020,2023,2024,See_you_in_2025

Absolute_Darkness-Death/Thrash_Band_I_am_the_Singer/Guitarist_for
    • FacebookPage-https://www.facebook.com/BandAbsoluteDarkness

Thud_Bukit-Death/Comedy_Band_I_am_the_Singer/Guitarist/Drummer/Bassist_for
    • FacebookPage-https://www.facebook.com/Thud-Bukit-100960638505481

70k Bands - Unofficial iPhone/Android_app_of_the_70,000_tons_cruise
    WishList
    • Old_Man's_Child-/-Battle_Cross-/-Impaled-/-Dismember-/-Amon_Amarth-/-Dethklok-/-Gruesome-/-Rotten_Sound-/-As_Blood_Runs_Black-/-Through_The_Eyes_Of_The_Dead-/-Testament-/
    Ethrivas
    Chief Petty Officer

by Ethrivas » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:45 pm

slayergeek wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:38 pm On the theater floor, or in the wings sound MUCH better. From where I was, the sound was great, but I know your milage may very in that venue.
    I was frontline, right hand side and sound was quite good.
    Wishlist 2025:1914-/-Ablaze.My.Sorrow-/-AEPHANEMER-/-Aeternam-/-AETHERIAN-/-AGATHODAIMON-/-ALESTORM-/-ALLEGAEON-/-AMORPHIS-/-ANAAL.NATHRAKH-/-Amon.Amarth-/-Avatar-/-Behemoth-/-BE'LAKOR-/-Belzebubs-/-BLACKBRAID-/-BRYMIR-/-CLOAK-/-Cryptosis-/-Dååth-/-Dark.Oath-/-DESTINITY-/-DIMMU.BORGIR-/-Ensiferum-/-ETERNAL.TEARS.OF.SORROW-/-Finntroll-/-Foretoken-/-Gaerea-/-GROZA-/-Hypocrisy-/-Ignea-/-IMMORTAL-/-In.Aphelion-/-Kalmah-/-Kanonenfieber-/-King.of.Asgard-/-KVAEN-/-Lucifer's.Child-/-MELECHESH-/-Mezarkabul(Pentagram)-/-MGŁA-/-MOONSHADE-/-MÖRK.GRYNING-/-NAILED.TO.OBSCURITY-/-Necrophobic-/-NETHERBIRD-/-Orbit.Culture-/-OUROBOROS-/-PERPETUAL.NIGHT-/-PSYCROPTIC-/-Rhapsody(Turilli-Lione)-/-SATYRICON-/-SHADE.EMPIRE-/-SHYLMAGOGHNAR-/-SODOMISERY-/-STORTREGN-/-Stratovarius-/-SYLOSIS-/-Testament-/-THE.COMMITTEE-/-THE.CROWN-/-THE.SEER-/-THE.SPIRIT-/-THULCANDRA-/-Tryglav-/-TRIBULATION-/-Trivium-/-Turisas-/-Ulfven-/-Unanimated-/-VREID-/-Warbringer-/-Whispered-/-Wintersun-/-WORMWITCH-/-WORMWOOD-/-Zornheym
    2018, 2019, 2020, 2024: Survivor
    2023: Skip year
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:46 pm

Donutsauce wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:15 pm Me not having a slice of that 70k cake.

IT. WAS. NOT.
    Upcoming Gigs:
    2025 Wishlist
    cegr80
    Lieutenant

by cegr80 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:06 pm

cowboy71 wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:46 pm
    Donutsauce wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:15 pm Me not having a slice of that 70k cake.

IT. WAS. NOT.
    That's what I thought. Thank goodness I skipped on it, then
    Yippee38
    Petty Officer

by Yippee38 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:40 pm

Somebody else did a drum solo for both sets. Was it Eluvietie? I left both times.
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:53 pm

IT. WAS. NOT.
    Unless you love buttercream. I swear it was about 90% buttercream and 10% cake.
    Sgt. B wrote:
    Phoenix wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:59 am
    My muster station was in the dining room this year. I sat at a table with Mooyagi.
    Fun times! I've been lucky enough to get a dining room muster for the last 4 or 5 cruises. Makes up for being stuck in the sun on the rest of them.
    I should get around to updating my signature
  • Bob
    Petty Officer

by Bob » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:37 am

IT. WAS. NOT.
    I've been 5 times and I've never have seen these cakes except in recap vids. Apparantly you have to go directly to the Windjammer after boarding.

Konvent
    2. Never seen them live.
    Anaal_Nathrakh-/-Burning_Witches-/-Combichrist-/-Dee_Snider-/-Gojira-/-Grai-/-Hanzel_und_Gretyl-/-IGNEA-/-Inquisition-/-Jinjer-/-Lovebites-/-King_Diamond-/-Mgla-/-Opeth-/-Rob_Zombie-/-Spiritbox-/-Temple_of_Evil-/-The_Hu-/-Vader-/-Visigoth-/-Wagakki_Band
    Avatar-/-Babymetal-/-Behemoth-/-Corrosion_of_Conformity-/-Fleshgod_Apocalypse-/-Lacuna_Coil-/-Lamb_of_God-/-Meshuggah-/-Metsatöll-/-Myrkur-/-Sabaton-/-Sepultura-/-Suicidal_Tendencies-/-Therion-/-The_Iron_Maidens-/-Wolves_in_the_Throne_Room
    AstridDragon
    Petty Officer

by AstridDragon » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:43 am

Bob wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:37 am

IT. WAS. NOT.
    I've been 5 times and I've never have seen these cakes except in recap vids. Apparantly you have to go directly to the Windjammer after boarding.
    Oh is that where that was? I saw pictures of two, the big one and a guitar and wondered where/when those were o.o
  • Phoenix
    Lieutenant

by Phoenix » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:55 am

Which I always do, since hotel breakfast isn't compatible with my stupid insides. Most years there's cake, though I've never had it because I'm not a fan of GOOD cake. I think one year there was an ice sculpture of devil horns? Or something like that? Always worth checking out.

Survivor:
    Out for 2023
    Gratch
    Chief Petty Officer

by Gratch » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:49 am

IT. WAS. NOT.
    They actually did two cakes this year. There was one on boarding day, and another one on day 3(?). I have no idea when they were actually served though, so I didn't get any. I remember there being devil horn ice sculptures on boarding day my first year (2016).

After 3 previous years of outdoor muster, we got a dining room muster this year as well. Being indoors, seated, and out of the sun was pretty awesome. Actually sat with another couple from Utah...what are the odds?
    Survivor 2016/17/18/19/20

Ultimate Wishlist Bands
    Anaal Nathrakh - Behemoth - Igorrr - Khemmis - Myrkur - The Ocean - Pallbearer - Sigh - Tribulation - Sentient Horror - Turisas - Wilderun - Witherscape - Zeal & Ardor
  • Phoenix
    Lieutenant

by Phoenix » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:04 am

Gratch wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:49 am They actually did two cakes this year. There was one on boarding day, and another one on day 3(?). I have no idea when they were actually served though, so I didn't get any. I remember there being devil horn ice sculptures on boarding day my first year (2016).
    They did it more than once than, because 2016 was the year I missed.

Survivor:
    Out for 2023
    JamieS
    Crewman

by JamieS » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:18 pm

Most pointless? The dude who goes into the pit with a blow-up doll on his shoulders. It's a medium funny joke for 5 seconds, but then it just gets in the way of sightlines.

(Note: Pikachu pit during Kalmah was a much better joke with way better execution.)
    4x Survivor: 2017-2020
    2021: Can we get the date?
    Castroh
    Chief Petty Officer

by Castroh » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:01 pm

In my opinion, the Skipper’s speech was pretty pointless this year. Maybe next year we’ll get a few band announcements during his speech?!!! :roll:
    2012 - 2020 Survivor
    2023 - Booked!
    Jaimie38
    Lieutenant

by Jaimie38 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:23 am

JamieS wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:18 pm Most pointless? The dude who goes into the pit with a blow-up doll on his shoulders. It's a medium funny joke for 5 seconds, but then it just gets in the way of sightlines.

(Note: Pikachu pit during Kalmah was a much better joke with way better execution.)
    Yes. Very annoying... he's always been a clown.. He was at karaoke and was bumping into everyone at the tables--hard to see at the best of times, then I saw whining about assholes--guess someone flattened his gf..

:lol:
    9 Time Vet.
    Wishlist-West of Hell,Hibria,Powerwolf,WASP,DioDisciples,Loudness,
    DangerousToys,Triumph,UDO,SkullFIST,Kobra&theLotus,
    TheOrderofChaos,Diemonds,Riot City, WMD,Demons & Wizards,Liv Sin,Suicidal Angels,Dee Snider
  • Bob
    Petty Officer

by Bob » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:42 am

JamieS wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:18 pm ...but then it just gets in the way of sightlines.
    This makes me think of times when people will hold up flags blocking everybody's sightlines behind them, how rude. I didn't witness it this year or can remember it being a problem on 70K. I'm just glad I've never been behind one of those. I'd probably just chicken it out and move my ass so it's not blocking my view. But I know others would definetely go crazy over that chit and have words.

Konvent
    2. Never seen them live.
    Pellaz
    Lieutenant

by Pellaz » Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:02 pm

Gratch wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:49 am

IT. WAS. NOT.
    They actually did two cakes this year. There was one on boarding day, and another one on day 3(?). I have no idea when they were actually served though, so I didn't get any. I remember there being devil horn ice sculptures on boarding day my first year (2016).
    For the first time in 5 years I actually got a piece of the embark-day cake -- it wasn't bad, just yer basic cafeteria-sized cake.
    I also wandered in during the second cake, and there was something "foreign" in the piece that I got.
    I had to spit it out. Still no idea what it was. :shock:
    After 3 previous years of outdoor muster, we got a dining room muster this year as well. Being indoors, seated, and out of the sun was pretty awesome. Actually sat with another couple from Utah...what are the odds?
    I really envy you people who got the indoor muster --even the ones stuck in an overcrowded Sphinct-- Pyrami-- err, STAR Lounge. Once again we got stuck with an outdoor muster, and EVERY year it seems we're stuck on the sun-facing side of the ship. :bitch:
    2025 Wishlist:
    1349--Abbath--Abigail.Williams--Aephanemer--Agalloch--Agathodaimon--Alien.Weaponry--Allegaeon--Amon.Amarth--Amorphis--Animals.As.Leaders--Arkona--Arsis--Atrocity--Ayreon--Bal.Sagoth--Baroness--Barren.Earth--Battlelore--Behemoth--Below.7--Belzebubs--Be'lakor--Black.Crown.Initiate--Bloodbath--Borknagar--Broken.Trinity--Cannibal.Corpse--Chthe'ilist--CoF--Countless.Skies--Cynic--Demons.&.Wizards--Dimmu.Borgir--Dark.Tranquillity--Dragonforce--Edge.of.Sanity--Witherscape--anything.Dan.Swano--Eluveitie--Eneferens--Ensiferum--Enslaved--Eternal.Tears.of.Sorrow--Evergrey--Exmortus--Ex.Deo--Fear.Factory--Fires.In.the.Distance--Gojira--Graveworm--Green.Carnation--Hypocrisy--Immortal--Insomnium--Irreversible.Mechanism--Kalmah--Kamelot--Keep.Of.Kalessin--Korpiklaani--Kreator--Leprous--Luciferan.Light.Orchestra--Loss--Melechesh--Meshuggah--Mezarkabul--Moonspell--Mors.Principium.Est--Myrath--Ne.Obliviscaris--Nile--Nokturnal.Mortem--NorthTale--Novembers.Doom--Obscura--Old.Mans.Child--Opeth--Paladin--Poisonblack--Powerwolf--Primordial--Rapheumet's.Well--Raven--Rivers.Of.Nihil--Ryujin--Sabaton--Sadistic.Ritual--Samael--Satyricon--Savatage--Scale.the.Summit--Scorched.Moon--Septic.Flesh--Serious.Black--Seven.Spires--Sigh--Skalmold--Slough.Feg--Starkill--Steorrah--SYL--Suidakra--Summoning--Tarot--Therion--Thy.Serpent--Tomarum--Tomb.Mold--Turisas--Twilight.Force--Tyr--Vale.Of.Pnath--Valhalore--Vesania--Vintersorg--Wolfchant--Yyrkoon
    2015-2020; 2023-2024: Survivor
    2025: most likely
    Pellaz
    Lieutenant

by Pellaz » Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:03 pm

As for pointless moments, I have to agree that Kalmah's "jokes" also took the cake. (Just not the embark-day cake. :D )
    2025 Wishlist:
    1349--Abbath--Abigail.Williams--Aephanemer--Agalloch--Agathodaimon--Alien.Weaponry--Allegaeon--Amon.Amarth--Amorphis--Animals.As.Leaders--Arkona--Arsis--Atrocity--Ayreon--Bal.Sagoth--Baroness--Barren.Earth--Battlelore--Behemoth--Below.7--Belzebubs--Be'lakor--Black.Crown.Initiate--Bloodbath--Borknagar--Broken.Trinity--Cannibal.Corpse--Chthe'ilist--CoF--Countless.Skies--Cynic--Demons.&.Wizards--Dimmu.Borgir--Dark.Tranquillity--Dragonforce--Edge.of.Sanity--Witherscape--anything.Dan.Swano--Eluveitie--Eneferens--Ensiferum--Enslaved--Eternal.Tears.of.Sorrow--Evergrey--Exmortus--Ex.Deo--Fear.Factory--Fires.In.the.Distance--Gojira--Graveworm--Green.Carnation--Hypocrisy--Immortal--Insomnium--Irreversible.Mechanism--Kalmah--Kamelot--Keep.Of.Kalessin--Korpiklaani--Kreator--Leprous--Luciferan.Light.Orchestra--Loss--Melechesh--Meshuggah--Mezarkabul--Moonspell--Mors.Principium.Est--Myrath--Ne.Obliviscaris--Nile--Nokturnal.Mortem--NorthTale--Novembers.Doom--Obscura--Old.Mans.Child--Opeth--Paladin--Poisonblack--Powerwolf--Primordial--Rapheumet's.Well--Raven--Rivers.Of.Nihil--Ryujin--Sabaton--Sadistic.Ritual--Samael--Satyricon--Savatage--Scale.the.Summit--Scorched.Moon--Septic.Flesh--Serious.Black--Seven.Spires--Sigh--Skalmold--Slough.Feg--Starkill--Steorrah--SYL--Suidakra--Summoning--Tarot--Therion--Thy.Serpent--Tomarum--Tomb.Mold--Turisas--Twilight.Force--Tyr--Vale.Of.Pnath--Valhalore--Vesania--Vintersorg--Wolfchant--Yyrkoon
    2015-2020; 2023-2024: Survivor
    2025: most likely
    SavaRon
    Crewman

by SavaRon » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:36 pm

Putting all that plywood around the top deck only to have it warp when it rained. Then they had to rip it out because of the tripping hazzard it created. Why was that put there anyway?

Dining room muster was awesome. First time for that.
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:54 pm

SavaRon wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:36 pm Putting all that plywood around the top deck only to have it warp when it rained. Then they had to rip it out because of the tripping hazzard it created. Why was that put there anyway?
    They will be filing that one away under "it seemed like a good idea at the time" :P
    Upcoming Gigs:
    2025 Wishlist
    SavaRon
    Crewman

by SavaRon » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:21 am

cowboy71 wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:54 pm
    SavaRon wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:36 pm Putting all that plywood around the top deck only to have it warp when it rained. Then they had to rip it out because of the tripping hazzard it created. Why was that put there anyway?
    They will be filing that one away under "it seemed like a good idea at the time" :P
    But what was it for? I was trying to figure it out the first day? People dropping beer and cigarettes?
    mbob
    Chief Petty Officer

by mbob » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:10 am

They have done this every year since 2015 when we changed ships. I can't imagine the reasoning behind it other then Royal Caribbean wanting to protect the deck from something. What that something could be is the question of the day.

SavaRon wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:21 am
    But what was it for? I was trying to figure it out the first day? People dropping beer and cigarettes?
    2015 - Survivor...Finally! (8320)
    2016 - Survivor (2292)
    2017 - Survivor (9618)
    2018 - Survivor (9678)
    2019 - Survivor (9272)
    2020 - Retired
    2021 - COVID
    2022 - COVID

2023 - Retired
    2024 - Retired

2025 - Maybe time to come out of 70K retirement!
    SavaRon
    Crewman

by SavaRon » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:36 am

mbob wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:10 am They have done this every year since 2015 when we changed ships. I can't imagine the reasoning behind it other then Royal Caribbean wanting to protect the deck from something. What that something could be is the question of the day.

SavaRon wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:21 am
    Really? I don't remember seeing it in 2015 or 2017 when we were on. :shock:
    bodomdragon
    Sub-Lieutenant

by bodomdragon » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:10 pm

Phoenix wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:38 am The Kalmah frontman's jokes. At least their sound was overall better this year!
    This. And the muster drill, like every year, outside and facing the sun. Damnit.
    Wishlist:
    Ad.Infinitum--Aephanemer--Alestorm--Anthriel--AVANTASIA--Axxis--
    Battle.Beast--Beast.in.Black--Belzebubs--Be'lakor--BEYOND.THE.BLACK--Borealis--BORKNAGAR--Brymir--Caligula's.Horse--CHAOSBAY--Countless.Skies--Crowne--Dimmu.Borgir--DGM--Distorted.Harmony--DragonForce--Dream.Theater--Eclipse.(Sweden)--ELECTRIC.CALLBOY--Ensiferum--Evergrey--FEUERSCHWANZ--Fractal.Gates--Freedom.Call--GAMMA.RAY--Haken--Hei'an--Helloween--In.Mourning--INSOMNIUM--Kamelot--Keep.Of.Kalessin--KISSIN'.DYNAMITE--MERCENARY--Moonsorrow--Ne.Obliviscaris--Orden.Ogan--Pretty.Maids--Powerglove--PYRAMAZE--SABATON--SEVENTH.WONDER--Shade.Empire--Skeletoon--SOEN--Subterranean.Masquerade--SYMPHONY.X--Tremonti--Trollfest--Unleash.The.Archers--VISIONS.OF.ATLANTIS--VOLA--Volbeat--VOYAGER--WIDEK--Wilderun--Wintersun

2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2023, 2024: Survivor

Unofficial 70K User Guide: https://70kguide.wordpress.com
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:38 am

Kalmah's jokes are a national treasure. I hope he does more next time. :mrgreen:
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band
    www.facebook.com/Apprenticemetal

I run a festival
    https://www.facebook.com/events/2854966994515383
Post Reply 43 posts