Post Reply 17 posts Page 1 of 1
Storms a brewin'
    cholernik
    Petty Officer

Storms a brewin'

by cholernik » Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:37 am

If living in the midwest has taught me anything it's that you can't predict the weather more than about an hour away, and yet, I still look at 10 day forecasts as if they're factual. It looks like thunderstorms are predicted for the day in Cozumel and possibly the return trip. So, I ask the experienced folk, what happens then? I'm guessing the day in Mexico is gonna be meh, hopefully the storm misses or is short. I'm just looking to chill on the beach or some nearby alcohol establishment, so I don't care to go voyage or do any of those shore excursions. And, if it's storming on the return trip, do the shows still happen on the pool deck?
    2020: Survivor
  • Downvod
    Midshipman

Re: Storms a brewin'

by Downvod » Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:57 am

cholernik wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:37 am If living in the midwest has taught me anything it's that you can't predict the weather more than about an hour away, and yet, I still look at 10 day forecasts as if they're factual. It looks like thunderstorms are predicted for the day in Cozumel and possibly the return trip. So, I ask the experienced folk, what happens then? I'm guessing the day in Mexico is gonna be meh, hopefully the storm misses or is short. I'm just looking to chill on the beach or some nearby alcohol establishment, so I don't care to go voyage or do any of those shore excursions. And, if it's storming on the return trip, do the shows still happen on the pool deck?
    Don't pay too much mind to the Cozumel forecast a week out. In the tropics, there is almost always a chance of a storm, but they are often over as quickly as they began. You'll probably notice just about every day in Cozumel, about a week or so out, shows a 30-40% chance of a scattered or isolated thunderstorm. That basically just means it is hard to predict at this point. if it does rain while we are on the island, you will probably need to take shelter for a short while, and the sun will be back out before you know it.

On the boat, there is also always a chance of rain. However, it isn't like Looney Toons where the rain clouds will follow the cruise ship the whole night. We may pass through a storm and have rain for a short while. This can cause delays on the pool deck, but i only remember one evening (in four previous cruises) where rough storms shut down the pooldeck for the whole night. That was on the last night in 2016.
    70k 2016: Cabin 7279
    70k 2017: Cabin 6361
    70k 2018: Cabin 1704
    70k 2019: Cabin 1402
    70k 2020: Cabin 9220
    70k 2023: Cabin 1704
    70k 2024: Cabin 1688

Abbath-/-AEPHANEMER-/-Aetherian-/-Alestorm-/-Allegaeon-/-Amon.Amarth-/-Amorphis-/-Andy.Gillion-/-Animals.as.Leaders-/-Annihilator-/-Arkona-/-Armageddon-/-Arsis-/-Ashes.of.Ares-/-Battlecross-/-Behemoth-/-BE'LAKOR-/-Belzebubs-/-Beyond.Creation-/-Black.Crown.Initiate-/-BLIND.GUARDIAN-/-Bloodbath-/-Bloodred.Hourglass-/-BORKNAGAR-/-Brymir-/-Carcass-/-Children.of.Bodom-/-Conjurer-/-The.Crown-/-Cthonic-/-Dalriada-/-Dark.Funeral-/-Dark.Tranquillity-/-Death.Angel-/-Death.to.All-/-Decapitated-/-Demonic.Resurrection-/-Demons.&.Wizards-/-Destruction-/-DGM-/-Dimmu.Borgir-/-Dragonlord-/-Enslaved-/-Equilibrium-/-ETERNAL.TEARS.OF.SORROW-/-Evocation-/-Finsterforst-/-Fleshgod.Apocalypse-/-Galactic.Empire-/-Ghoul-/-Gojira-/-Harakiri.for.the.Sky-/-Heidevolk-/-Hypocrisy-/-Iced.Earth-/-Immortal-/-Inferi-/-IN.MOURNING-/-Insomnium-/-In.Vain-/-Irreversible.Mechanism-/-Keep.of.Kalessin-/-Kreator-/-Kvelertak-/-Lovebites-/-Manegarm-/-Mastodon-/-Melechesh-/-Midnight-/-MGLA-/-Myrkur-/-Naglfar-/-Necrophagist-/-Necrophobic-/-Ne.Obliviscaris-/-Night.Demon-/-Nile-/-Obscura-/-Old.Man's.Child-/-Onslaught-/-Opeth-/-Orden.Ogan-/-Powerglove-/-Power.Trip-/-Psycroptic-/-Rage-/-Refuge-/-Revocation-/-Rivers.of.Nihil-/-Septicflesh-/-Solution.45-/-Swallow.the.Sun-/-SYMPHONY.X-/-TAAKE-/-Tankard-/-Testament-/-TRIBULATION-/-Uada-/-Unleash.the.Archers-/-Vader-/-Vallenfyre-/-Vektor-/-Warbringer-/-Watain-/-Winterfylleth-/-Winterhymn-/-WITCHERY-/-Witherscape-/-Wolfheart-/-Wolves.in.the.Throne.Room
    cholernik
    Petty Officer

by cholernik » Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:01 am

thanks for the info. That's pretty much what I thought, that the storms would be quick if they came at all. Sounds pretty much like Wisconsin weather. the 10 day forecast is useless. the 10 minute forecast is usually accurate.
  • Downvod
    Midshipman

by Downvod » Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:07 am

cholernik wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:01 am thanks for the info. That's pretty much what I thought, that the storms would be quick if they came at all. Sounds pretty much like Wisconsin weather. the 10 day forecast is useless. the 10 minute forecast is usually accurate.
    Sitting here in Kenosha right now, I would tend to agree with you. :lol:
    70k 2016: Cabin 7279
    70k 2017: Cabin 6361
    70k 2018: Cabin 1704
    70k 2019: Cabin 1402
    70k 2020: Cabin 9220
    70k 2023: Cabin 1704
    70k 2024: Cabin 1688

Abbath-/-AEPHANEMER-/-Aetherian-/-Alestorm-/-Allegaeon-/-Amon.Amarth-/-Amorphis-/-Andy.Gillion-/-Animals.as.Leaders-/-Annihilator-/-Arkona-/-Armageddon-/-Arsis-/-Ashes.of.Ares-/-Battlecross-/-Behemoth-/-BE'LAKOR-/-Belzebubs-/-Beyond.Creation-/-Black.Crown.Initiate-/-BLIND.GUARDIAN-/-Bloodbath-/-Bloodred.Hourglass-/-BORKNAGAR-/-Brymir-/-Carcass-/-Children.of.Bodom-/-Conjurer-/-The.Crown-/-Cthonic-/-Dalriada-/-Dark.Funeral-/-Dark.Tranquillity-/-Death.Angel-/-Death.to.All-/-Decapitated-/-Demonic.Resurrection-/-Demons.&.Wizards-/-Destruction-/-DGM-/-Dimmu.Borgir-/-Dragonlord-/-Enslaved-/-Equilibrium-/-ETERNAL.TEARS.OF.SORROW-/-Evocation-/-Finsterforst-/-Fleshgod.Apocalypse-/-Galactic.Empire-/-Ghoul-/-Gojira-/-Harakiri.for.the.Sky-/-Heidevolk-/-Hypocrisy-/-Iced.Earth-/-Immortal-/-Inferi-/-IN.MOURNING-/-Insomnium-/-In.Vain-/-Irreversible.Mechanism-/-Keep.of.Kalessin-/-Kreator-/-Kvelertak-/-Lovebites-/-Manegarm-/-Mastodon-/-Melechesh-/-Midnight-/-MGLA-/-Myrkur-/-Naglfar-/-Necrophagist-/-Necrophobic-/-Ne.Obliviscaris-/-Night.Demon-/-Nile-/-Obscura-/-Old.Man's.Child-/-Onslaught-/-Opeth-/-Orden.Ogan-/-Powerglove-/-Power.Trip-/-Psycroptic-/-Rage-/-Refuge-/-Revocation-/-Rivers.of.Nihil-/-Septicflesh-/-Solution.45-/-Swallow.the.Sun-/-SYMPHONY.X-/-TAAKE-/-Tankard-/-Testament-/-TRIBULATION-/-Uada-/-Unleash.the.Archers-/-Vader-/-Vallenfyre-/-Vektor-/-Warbringer-/-Watain-/-Winterfylleth-/-Winterhymn-/-WITCHERY-/-Witherscape-/-Wolfheart-/-Wolves.in.the.Throne.Room
    cholernik
    Petty Officer

by cholernik » Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:09 am

Downvod wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:07 am
    cholernik wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:01 am thanks for the info. That's pretty much what I thought, that the storms would be quick if they came at all. Sounds pretty much like Wisconsin weather. the 10 day forecast is useless. the 10 minute forecast is usually accurate.
    Sitting here in Kenosha right now, I would tend to agree with you. :lol:
    me yesterday at work: "what's the weather like? oh 45 and sunny. I should order some lunch and go pick it up... but what's the weather like in 20 minutes..... hopefully the same?"
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:42 am

As has been mentioned, we've had one really bad storm, which led to a reshuffling and shortening of sets, the "Fuck the Storm" schedule. All pool deck bands were moved inside. As far as I can remember, everyone still played. Rain can cause delays on the pool deck but there are usually delays anyways so it's hard to notice. :lol:

On Barge to Hell, there was a thunderstorm off in the distance during one of the nights. It was an incredible sight to have bands playing on the pool deck with lightning in the background. Would love to see it again. Be prepared for a bit of a rockier ship if we do get rough weather.

I'd be bummed if we get tough weather in Cozumel, as (running order depending) we're hoping to go to Tulum.
    I should get around to updating my signature
    JamieS
    Crewman

by JamieS » Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:21 am

On another weather topic, the 3 cruises I've been on had a southeast destination and it was into the wind on the outbound trip. Is it the east or south component that primarily pits us against the prevailing winds, and will heading SW/NE make it different?
    4x Survivor: 2017-2020
    2021: Can we get the date?
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:31 am

JamieS wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:21 am On another weather topic, the 3 cruises I've been on had a southeast destination and it was into the wind on the outbound trip. Is it the east or south component that primarily pits us against the prevailing winds, and will heading SW/NE make it different?
    This was on a smaller boat, but the first 70K went to Cozumel and I recall it rocking very hard on the third night, as we started the return trip. I can't recall if that was the night Epica played in the theater but the boat was swaying so much that Arien's drumset started to slide away from him at one point. :lol:
    I should get around to updating my signature
    cholernik
    Petty Officer

by cholernik » Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:46 am

JamieS wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:21 am On another weather topic, the 3 cruises I've been on had a southeast destination and it was into the wind on the outbound trip. Is it the east or south component that primarily pits us against the prevailing winds, and will heading SW/NE make it different?
    looks like on the way back we'll be traveling with the storm, if there is one. I've never been on a boat this big so I have no idea what kind of impact that'll have. Might just have to get drunk to balance everything out
    Pellaz
    Lieutenant

by Pellaz » Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:08 pm

Downvod wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:57 amOn the boat, there is also always a chance of rain. However, it isn't like Looney Toons where the rain clouds will follow the cruise ship the whole night. We may pass through a storm and have rain for a short while. This can cause delays on the pool deck, but i only remember one evening (in four previous cruises) where rough storms shut down the pooldeck for the whole night. That was on the last night in 2016.
    And THAT was an unusual storm. not too likely to be repeated.
    We were facing apparent winds across the deck of up to 70 mph, as I recall, which is why the stage had to come down and come down in a hurry. The same storm system unexpectedly intensified to hurricane strength to the north and laid the Anthem of the Seas on her side, listing at up to a 20-degree angle ( :shock: ), for over an hour.

Last year the headwinds were too strong to erect the pool-deck stage, so we sailed "with the wind" (and away from Haiti) long enough for the stage to be built, and then afterward the stage "roof" was lowered somewhat to reduce the wind resistance. UMC had to pay $20,000 to Royal to cover the additional fuel costs for us to speed faster to Haiti.
    After the winds dropped, the stage roof was elevated back up to its normal height.
    2025 Wishlist:
    1349--Abbath--Abigail.Williams--Aephanemer--Agalloch--Agathodaimon--Alien.Weaponry--Allegaeon--Amon.Amarth--Amorphis--Animals.As.Leaders--Arkona--Arsis--Atrocity--Ayreon--Bal.Sagoth--Baroness--Barren.Earth--Battlelore--Behemoth--Below.7--Belzebubs--Be'lakor--Black.Crown.Initiate--Bloodbath--Borknagar--Broken.Trinity--Cannibal.Corpse--Chthe'ilist--CoF--Countless.Skies--Cynic--Demons.&.Wizards--Dimmu.Borgir--Dark.Tranquillity--Dragonforce--Edge.of.Sanity--Witherscape--anything.Dan.Swano--Eluveitie--Eneferens--Ensiferum--Enslaved--Eternal.Tears.of.Sorrow--Evergrey--Exmortus--Ex.Deo--Fear.Factory--Fires.In.the.Distance--Gojira--Graveworm--Green.Carnation--Hypocrisy--Immortal--Insomnium--Irreversible.Mechanism--Kalmah--Kamelot--Keep.Of.Kalessin--Korpiklaani--Kreator--Leprous--Luciferan.Light.Orchestra--Loss--Melechesh--Meshuggah--Mezarkabul--Moonspell--Mors.Principium.Est--Myrath--Ne.Obliviscaris--Nile--Nokturnal.Mortem--NorthTale--Novembers.Doom--Obscura--Old.Mans.Child--Opeth--Paladin--Poisonblack--Powerwolf--Primordial--Rapheumet's.Well--Raven--Rivers.Of.Nihil--Ryujin--Sabaton--Sadistic.Ritual--Samael--Satyricon--Savatage--Scale.the.Summit--Scorched.Moon--Septic.Flesh--Serious.Black--Seven.Spires--Sigh--Skalmold--Slough.Feg--Starkill--Steorrah--SYL--Suidakra--Summoning--Tarot--Therion--Thy.Serpent--Tomarum--Tomb.Mold--Turisas--Twilight.Force--Tyr--Vale.Of.Pnath--Valhalore--Vesania--Vintersorg--Wolfchant--Yyrkoon
    2015-2020; 2023-2024: Survivor
    2025: most likely
  • Godflesh
    Ensign

by Godflesh » Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:11 pm

of up to 70 mph
    Surely you mean 70000 mph
    Pellaz
    Lieutenant

by Pellaz » Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:16 pm

Godflesh wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:11 pm
    of up to 70 mph
    Surely you mean 70000 mph
    Yes I was serious...and don't call me "surely." :lol:
    2025 Wishlist:
    1349--Abbath--Abigail.Williams--Aephanemer--Agalloch--Agathodaimon--Alien.Weaponry--Allegaeon--Amon.Amarth--Amorphis--Animals.As.Leaders--Arkona--Arsis--Atrocity--Ayreon--Bal.Sagoth--Baroness--Barren.Earth--Battlelore--Behemoth--Below.7--Belzebubs--Be'lakor--Black.Crown.Initiate--Bloodbath--Borknagar--Broken.Trinity--Cannibal.Corpse--Chthe'ilist--CoF--Countless.Skies--Cynic--Demons.&.Wizards--Dimmu.Borgir--Dark.Tranquillity--Dragonforce--Edge.of.Sanity--Witherscape--anything.Dan.Swano--Eluveitie--Eneferens--Ensiferum--Enslaved--Eternal.Tears.of.Sorrow--Evergrey--Exmortus--Ex.Deo--Fear.Factory--Fires.In.the.Distance--Gojira--Graveworm--Green.Carnation--Hypocrisy--Immortal--Insomnium--Irreversible.Mechanism--Kalmah--Kamelot--Keep.Of.Kalessin--Korpiklaani--Kreator--Leprous--Luciferan.Light.Orchestra--Loss--Melechesh--Meshuggah--Mezarkabul--Moonspell--Mors.Principium.Est--Myrath--Ne.Obliviscaris--Nile--Nokturnal.Mortem--NorthTale--Novembers.Doom--Obscura--Old.Mans.Child--Opeth--Paladin--Poisonblack--Powerwolf--Primordial--Rapheumet's.Well--Raven--Rivers.Of.Nihil--Ryujin--Sabaton--Sadistic.Ritual--Samael--Satyricon--Savatage--Scale.the.Summit--Scorched.Moon--Septic.Flesh--Serious.Black--Seven.Spires--Sigh--Skalmold--Slough.Feg--Starkill--Steorrah--SYL--Suidakra--Summoning--Tarot--Therion--Thy.Serpent--Tomarum--Tomb.Mold--Turisas--Twilight.Force--Tyr--Vale.Of.Pnath--Valhalore--Vesania--Vintersorg--Wolfchant--Yyrkoon
    cholernik
    Petty Officer

by cholernik » Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:05 am

boy that last day sure was fuckin' windy. Emperor had to put socks on their mics :lol: :lol: :lol:
    Pellaz
    Lieutenant

by Pellaz » Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:57 pm

cholernik wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:05 am boy that last day sure was fuckin' windy. Emperor had to put socks on their mics :lol: :lol: :lol:
    "Stick a sock on it!" :lol:

I STILL think we got robbed of 20 minutes of Ihsahn's set. :evil:
    2025 Wishlist:
    cholernik
    Petty Officer

by cholernik » Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:56 am

Pellaz wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:57 pm
    cholernik wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:05 am boy that last day sure was fuckin' windy. Emperor had to put socks on their mics :lol: :lol: :lol:
    "Stick a sock on it!" :lol:

I STILL think we got robbed of 20 minutes of Ihsahn's set. :evil:
    Yea, glad I saw his first set. It's not my exact kind of music--something is just off for me--so it wasn't exactly a two setter. I feel bad for those folk though
    cegr80
    Lieutenant

by cegr80 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:18 pm

Glad I saw the Theater set, then. Did not make it to the pool deck. I like Emperor, but not that much
    2017.2018.2019.2020.2023.2024.GOLD.Survivor|2025 Wishlist:1349-1914-Aephanemer-Akercoke-Alcest-Alkaloid-AnaalNathrakh-AnAbstractIllusion-Atvm-Avatar-Avslut-Be'lakor-Belzebubs-ChapelOfDisease-Chthonic-Darkthrone-DiabloSwingOrchestra-Dimmu Borgir-Dodheimsgard-Draconian-EternalTearsOfSorrow-FreakKitchen-Hamferd-IATT-LochVostok-Marduk-NocnyKochanek-Satyricon-Schammasch-Scour-Shining(Nor)-Sigh-SulphurAeon-Turisas-Ulver-Virvum-Watain-WhiteWard
    cholernik
    Petty Officer

by cholernik » Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:44 pm

cegr80 wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:18 pm
    Glad I saw the Theater set, then. Did not make it to the pool deck. I like Emperor, but not that much
    The pool deck was an awesome setting though. The steam from the hot tubs blowing across the stage, the full moon, the occasional rain. being right up front made it cooler, but, I do like Emperor that much.
Post Reply 17 posts Page 1 of 1