Post Reply 60 posts
Thoughts, constructive criticism etc for 2020's boat
    cowboy71
    Commander

Thoughts, constructive criticism etc for 2020's boat

by cowboy71 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:55 pm

While we wait for the official survey to come through I thought it might be good to capture peoples' thoughts here!

Because as every day passes we may forget stuffs, or be all heady in the afterglow of a successful cruise and overlook things that should be raised.

Or someone else might mention something here that jogs you in a "HEY YEAH! I'll mention that too!" kind of way.
    Upcoming Gigs:
    -/-Halestorm?-/-Fleshgod-Apocalypse-/-Scar-Symmetry-/-Wind-Rose-/-Unleash-The-Archers
    2025 Wishlist
    Ad-Infinitum-/-Aephanemer-/-All-For-Metal-/-Alterium-/-Ancient-Bards-/-Atlas-Pain-/-Avantasia-/-Battlelore-/Beast-In-Black-/-Believer-/-Beyond-The-Black-/-Brothers-of-Metal-/-Catalyst-Crime-/-Civil-War-/-Circus-Maximus-/-Claymorean-/-Cobra-Spell-/-Dark-Moor-/-Dark-Sarah-/-Dartagnan-/-Diabulus-In-Musica-/-Edguy-/-Ex-Libris-/-Exit-Eden-/-Fellowship-/-Follow-The-Cipher-/-Frozen-Crown-/-Galderia-/-Hammer-King-/-Heavatar-/-Ignea-/-Imperial-Age-/-In-This-Moment-/-Jaldaboath-/-Kaledon-/-Labyrinth-/-Living-Sacrifice-/-Metalite-/-Moonlight-Haze-/-Neopera-/-Nestor-/-Nocturna-/-Orden-Ogan-/-Pathfinder-/-Phantom-Elite-/-Poisonblack-/-Power-Paladin-/-Powerwolf-/-The-Privateer-/-Rexoria-/-Running-Wild-/-She-Wolf-/-Silver-Bullet-/-Sleeping-Romance-/-Sojourner-/-Tarot-/-Ten-/-Thaurorod-/-The-Big-Deal-/-The-Dark-Element-/-Trick-or-Treat-/-Trillium-/-Unisonic-/-Valhalore-/-Vanishing-Point-/-Volturian-/-Walk-In-Darkness-/-Within-Temptation
    cowboy71
    Commander

Re: Thoughts, constructive criticism etc for 2020's boat

by cowboy71 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:01 pm

Here are some of the notes I've made.

NEGATIVES
    - sub par merch quality (band specific - eg Novembers Doom, and 70K - eg hoodies)

- sub par food (everywhere bar johnny rockets was worse this year)

- Announcements started way too late, very unbalanced lineup genre-wise

- dates early in January did not work for Aussies at all. Peak holiday period made flights way too expensive

- sound was pretty bad everywhere

- strobe lights! Everywhere strobe lights! I had to exit Moonsorrow's ice rink show as I couldn't deal and was sure to get a migraine if I stayed

- photographers in the pit for entire songs was not cool, and photogs pocketing setlists and picks was BEYOND not cool! (noticed especially at Wintersun Theatre)

POSITIVES
    - security were great - took great care of crowd surfers and gave special attention to my 10yo son to ensure his safety.

- variety of 'special sets' was excellent

- Pool boys were a great idea

- having someone go down the line of people waiting for merch an hour before opening was FANTASTIC! Totally alleviated the issue last year of people cutting in to the front moments before the doors opened!

Appended:
    On boarding process - gets smoother every year!
    Last edited by cowboy71 on Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Upcoming Gigs:
    -/-Halestorm?-/-Fleshgod-Apocalypse-/-Scar-Symmetry-/-Wind-Rose-/-Unleash-The-Archers
    2025 Wishlist
    Ad-Infinitum-/-Aephanemer-/-All-For-Metal-/-Alterium-/-Ancient-Bards-/-Atlas-Pain-/-Avantasia-/-Battlelore-/Beast-In-Black-/-Believer-/-Beyond-The-Black-/-Brothers-of-Metal-/-Catalyst-Crime-/-Civil-War-/-Circus-Maximus-/-Claymorean-/-Cobra-Spell-/-Dark-Moor-/-Dark-Sarah-/-Dartagnan-/-Diabulus-In-Musica-/-Edguy-/-Ex-Libris-/-Exit-Eden-/-Fellowship-/-Follow-The-Cipher-/-Frozen-Crown-/-Galderia-/-Hammer-King-/-Heavatar-/-Ignea-/-Imperial-Age-/-In-This-Moment-/-Jaldaboath-/-Kaledon-/-Labyrinth-/-Living-Sacrifice-/-Metalite-/-Moonlight-Haze-/-Neopera-/-Nestor-/-Nocturna-/-Orden-Ogan-/-Pathfinder-/-Phantom-Elite-/-Poisonblack-/-Power-Paladin-/-Powerwolf-/-The-Privateer-/-Rexoria-/-Running-Wild-/-She-Wolf-/-Silver-Bullet-/-Sleeping-Romance-/-Sojourner-/-Tarot-/-Ten-/-Thaurorod-/-The-Big-Deal-/-The-Dark-Element-/-Trick-or-Treat-/-Trillium-/-Unisonic-/-Valhalore-/-Vanishing-Point-/-Volturian-/-Walk-In-Darkness-/-Within-Temptation
    Cardest
    Midshipman

by Cardest » Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:24 pm

If I may leap in here.

NEGATIVES

Windjammer food was boring. The breakfast was dull each day. But let's face facts, they'll never have the mighty Weet-Bix on broad!

Sorrento's pizza - just awful.

Band merch: All the shirts I wanted were gone by the time I was let in. I had the 800+ ticket number. By then, the choices sucked (for me at least). The bands doing a boat shirt seemed to me, very minimal.

Band announcements were woefully late. Gave me more angst than excitement.

I agree, the strobe lights were ridiculous.
    Just turn the main lights on in the ceiling and let the band play. Harden up! haha

I've never liked the pool girls and now pool boys too....ughh.

Cozumel as the destination.

Pool deck staff running over to tell a girl in the spa to put her top back on. Please!
    What are we? She had stickers on her naughty bits. Let her enjoy herself.

NO official 70k stickers!! NONE!
    Sick of this.
    Every cruise I go on there's nothing.
    C'mon merch team - stickers are damn cool. Bumper size, small sizes (for travel diaries and suitcases) ughh gets me so mad each time.
    Or postcards!

Loved Devin Townsend, but he did say one set would be the heavy set and the other would be a more Devin solo set. Nope!
    Both sets were almost the same, the heavy set.

The group tossing things off the balcony (high above) at the line up down below to get back on the boat in Cozumel.
    Throwing water balloons down on the crowd and other objects that splattered and shattered.
    Throwing a plate too. WTF?

The LACK of COLD water bottles.
    The only bar I found that served cold water bottles was on deck 5. The rest, all warm water. WTF?
    That was damn annoying.

The price of beers has gone way up since my last cruise in 2015.
    Ouch!
    I remember the prices in 2012. Almost doubled since then.

The increase in cost of the cruise/cabin. Was way up yet, the same one I booked last time (2015) was significantly less $

POSITIVES
    Security were great! I agree!
    The dude in the wheelchair crowd surfing each time, no worries!
    If that was here in Oz, they'd be kicked out of the venue!

Watching the 70k Crew also watching bands and getting right into them.
    One of them, was watching Wilderun from the side and panting!
    Liked how they cut their sleeves off those shirts too. Gave a really laid back vibe.

The crowd chanting "your boat sucks" to the other ships docked at Cozumel. Damn that was funny.

Our room maid was fantastic!

We arrived at around 1330hrs to board the boat and the customs/sea pass/check-in was a breeze!
    Well done!

Seeing Cronos' looking on at the fans in the lift, the hallways, everywhere...was hilarious.
    Like someone had just walked over his turnip patch.

Wish list: Grand Magus, ARCTURUS, Borknagar, SIGH, Vastum, ABSU, Temple of Void, Frozen Crown, King Diamond/Mercyful Fate, Kawir, Vuur, Chthonic, Cemetery Urn, Tombs, Acid Witch, Slough Feg, Hammers of Misfortune
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:46 pm

Good call on the on-boarding process!

Yes! That is something that HAS got better every year!!

Was looking at a flashback from the 2015 cruise and remembered how we queued in the sun for HOURS before even getting into the cruise terminal!
    Upcoming Gigs:
    2025 Wishlist
    Daenerys
    Midshipman

by Daenerys » Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:04 pm

Having been on all the 70Ks from the beginning, I have to say I feel like RC has gone way down hill on the the quality of everything. The food was absolutely atrocious this year, even the dining room was very mediocre. And the drink prices? Pure price gouging. I know we're stuck on the boat, but $15 for a mojito, $12 for a single G&T is ludicrous. Especially because my coworker just did an EDM cruise on RC out of Miami and confirmed their alcohol prices were much lower. Also, no consistency at the coffee cafe - one person can make an iced cappuccino, the next informs me they don't serve those... ? :lol:

The sound in the main theater was awful for many of the sets, especially the first day and early second.

It took us forever to go through security when boarding because only 2 lanes were open. Also, even though RC's rules clearly state "12 bottles (17oz) of non-alcoholic beverage may be brought on per stateroom" they confiscated my water, advising me that it was the boats charter company making them take them as they follow their rules, not RC. This has never been an issue previously.

Positives:

Security did a great job this year, I was impressed when watching them handle all the crowd surfing with a smile.

Thanks for acknowledging my birthday with the card and free dinner! :beerwink:

The calendar was nice gesture... But a beach towel or something more permanent would have been nicer. With that being said, our black sea passes were bangin'! Multiple crew members wanted to ask us about them because they hadn't seen one yet.

Everything ran right on schedule to the best of my knowledge.

Bottom line this year for me is that I love 70K and pretty much despise RC.
    Voyager-Vuur-GrandMagus-Myrath-Borknagar-NovembersDoom-Aeternam-Havok-TheHaloEffect-Moonspell-SepticFlesh-Sigh-BarrenEarth-Iotunn-ScarSymmetry-Nekrogoblikon
    Gratch
    Chief Petty Officer

by Gratch » Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:55 pm

Similar thoughts as others.

- food quality keeps declining. Barely above mediocre this year, although Sorrentos was miles ahead of last year.
    - drink prices are insane. Also, about half the bars were out of Blue Moon by day 3. First time in 5 cruises that’s happened.
    - super smooth boarding process
    - theater sound seemed much worse, but lounge sound was much better
    - announcement process was hot garbage
    - thought the pool boys were a nice touch. Cool dudes too
    Survivor 2016/17/18/19/20

Ultimate Wishlist Bands
    Anaal Nathrakh - Behemoth - Igorrr - Khemmis - Myrkur - The Ocean - Pallbearer - Sigh - Tribulation - Sentient Horror - Turisas - Wilderun - Witherscape - Zeal & Ardor
    cholernik
    Petty Officer

by cholernik » Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:32 am

seeing as this was my first cruise I don't have any previous ones to compare it to, so I don't have a lot of negatives.

Negatives:
    * Obviously the announcement process was garbage.
    * We had to figure out a lot of shit on our own, I mean I could've asked some people for help but it wasn't that difficult. There were a lot of typos or misprints on the planner thing, like the merch channels and the time to be back on the boat.
    * Speaking of merch, it was a little confusing but I figured it out. My wife and I were in the low 900s, and pretty much everything was gone. She managed to get what she wanted, but I had to opt for my 4th choice, which was a pretty poorly printed, too small, venom shirt. Seriously, looks like an iron on transfer, and I'm afraid to wash it. Also, the 70k tons merch should not be more than the band merch.
    * The lack of bottle filling stations for water bottles. The cafe promenade had some ice water in buckets but you couldn't fill up bottles there. I tried, and they yelled at me.
    * Alcohol prices, but (more in positives) I found some deals
    * 20 bucks for those pictures is pretty fucking steep
    * Internet was a bit expensive, but we just paid for the last two days since my wife needed it for school. The reception was spotty at first, but fine later.
    * Cozumel fucking blows. I want to get off the boat and sit on the beach with a coconut drink. I don't want to be fucking hassled for diamonds and car rentals and pharmacy visits. We eventually escaped the gauntlet of gougers to find a little shack that had 6 beers for $15 bucks and it came with free nachos, and they had a waterfront thing, so that was nice. by the way, gauntlet of gougers... I should trademark that.

Positives:
    * Free coffee. I'm a pretty low maintenance kind of guy, so I thought the coffee was good. BUT, I wish I had a coffee maker in my cabin, so I didn't have to stumble up to the 5th floor looking all de-shoveled and stumbling back to the room with 2 coffees spilling everywhere. also, finding the free stuff took a minute on the first day (again, could've asked somebody), but I found it.
    * I thought the food was fine, but I'm used to garbage continental breakfast for golden corral style all you can eat buffets. so compared to that crap the food was awesome. I would have loved more seafood though. The tilapia I had was pretty good.
    * Alcohol deals: a pitcher at Playmakers was $18, which is pretty good for new castle, especially when trapped on a boat. That's 5 beers for 18 bucks. The downside is, I'm pretty sure we drank them out of new castle, and we weren't sure if we could take the pitcher out of the bar. Wasn't a huge problem, since we're Wisconsinites and we drink fast. The long islands up at the pool bar were only 10 bucks and it was 4 full shots of TOP SHELF BOOZE. If you tried to get a small long island with top shelf booze at any bar in the states, it'll cost you probably over 10 bucks. The few times we went to Ale and Anchor there was one guy that would give us triple jack and diets and only charge us for singles. So that was pretty good.
    * everything seemed to be on schedule. I thought all the bands playing went smoothly, and I didn't think the sound was awful. Even when I was up front for emperor on the pool deck. the sound up front usually blows in most venues, but not there.
    * The royal Caribbean staff was amazing. I know they love this cruise because they get to be laid back.
    * Security was also amazing. I know people that work in security at the mainstream venue in MKE, so I'm used to assholes at shows. it was nice to see people that actually cared about safety rather than looking for people to fight and kick out.
    * not related to the cruise line: THE 70K BANDS APP! Extremely thankful for that. I didn't have a problem with it at all.

Neutrals:
    * sorrentos pizza was fine, you guys. Especially for the couple hours where the windjammer was closed and you just needed something. the smell is amazing, yeah sure, it doesn't taste the best, but it doesn't taste bad.
    * Strobes. I have some untreated epilepsy, and the strobes didn't bother me much.
    * Pool people. not a fan of the shit sunscreen spraying everywhere, but they're doing a good thing I guess. I kind of found them annoying because I hate attention seeking people, but whatever. People like them. They didn't bother me.
    *Boarding process. Again, it's my first year so I have nothing to compare it to. Could've been quicker, could've been way worse. The line was mainly slowed down to fucking morons draped in metal. You guys realize you have to take all that shit off, right? Do you show up to the airport with a bullet belt, studded jackets and boots? Use your brain, idiots. I wish I could've known that I could bring alcohol in the line (not sure if I can though, saw a bunch of people drinking).
    2020: Survivor
  • Phoenix
    Lieutenant

by Phoenix » Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:26 am

So, as an outsider this year, I see three things I hope someone doesn't mind adding to their survey (some of which it appears people already are):

- The pool boys were a great idea.
    - The announcement process was HOT ASS GARBAGE. Someone needs to teach Andy how to delegate.
    - The food quality deteriorating really worries me. I have IBS, which is getting better, but it's not good for me to eat onion and garlic (including powders), gluten, apple, cauliflower, or too many processed foods. I felt pretty gross getting off the boat last year because I had to usually break a rule in order to eat. It would be really nice if 70k considered a gut-friendly section next year. Or, as an alternative, labelling when dishes contain certain foods? Having a nameplate that says "Contains: gluten, dairy, onion, garlic, shellfish, etc." would be such a quality of life improvement. You have no idea.

Survivor:
    Out for 2023
    cegr80
    Lieutenant

by cegr80 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:35 am

I will only say this about the pizza:

Sorrento's was DELICIOUS this year, hands down the best pizza since 2017. Obviously they stepped up their game, so congrats on that.
    2017.2018.2019.2020.2023.2024.GOLD.Survivor|2025 Wishlist:1349-1914-Aephanemer-Akercoke-Alcest-Alkaloid-AnaalNathrakh-AnAbstractIllusion-Atvm-Avatar-Avslut-Be'lakor-Belzebubs-ChapelOfDisease-Chthonic-Darkthrone-DiabloSwingOrchestra-Dimmu Borgir-Dodheimsgard-Draconian-EternalTearsOfSorrow-FreakKitchen-Hamferd-IATT-LochVostok-Marduk-NocnyKochanek-Satyricon-Schammasch-Scour-Shining(Nor)-Sigh-SulphurAeon-Turisas-Ulver-Virvum-Watain-WhiteWard
    cholernik
    Petty Officer

by cholernik » Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:39 am

cegr80 wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:35 am I will only say this about the pizza:

Sorrento's was DELICIOUS this year, hands down the best pizza since 2017. Obviously they stepped up their game, so congrats on that.
    my wife loved the veggie pizza. I didn't mind the cheese and meat stuff. not the best pizza i've had obviously but it wasn't bad by any means. and again, the aroma was amazing.
  • DudeBro
    Oiler

by DudeBro » Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:18 pm

Positives:

*The food was fine? I managed to squeeze in a fancy dinner everyday and aside from the dessert on the last day I enjoyed them all. I've been on a dozen or so cruises in my life and the Windjammer had way better food than I would expect at 1AM on any other ship. I really don't understand the complaints.

*The staff were excellent. I got to know one of the bartenders well enough and always made sure to confirm that the drink of the day was extra strong.

*Every single show I went to was on time (I almost wish a few of them had started late!)

*There was actually merch for sale considering how many bands would not have had any time to prepare!

*Boarding was super easy

Negatives:

*I'm sorry to say it but the guy wheelchair crowd surfing... I thought it was cool the first time but eventually it was a pretty big hazard

*The price of alcohol on board: 25% cheaper and I'd probably spend more money, if that makes sense.

*Photographers grabbing picks, setlists, etc
    S:2015, 2020

Airbourne + Babymetal + Crystal Viper + Dethklok + Enforcer + Eternal Champion + Grand Magus + Hell + Slough Feg + Magic Circle + Nekrogoblikon + Powerwolf + Stormwarrior + Sumerlands + The Sword + Visigoth
    Gratch
    Chief Petty Officer

by Gratch » Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:54 pm

DudeBro wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:18 pm *The food was fine? I managed to squeeze in a fancy dinner everyday and aside from the dessert on the last day I enjoyed them all. I've been on a dozen or so cruises in my life and the Windjammer had way better food than I would expect at 1AM on any other ship. I really don't understand the complaints.
    The food has been far better in prior years. Hence the complaints.

(Disclaimer: I can only speak to the quality of the Windjammer food. In 5 cruises, I've only been to the dining room once. It took forever and the food sucked. I never bothered to go back, wasn't worth missing shows for.)

Ultimate Wishlist Bands
    Anaal Nathrakh - Behemoth - Igorrr - Khemmis - Myrkur - The Ocean - Pallbearer - Sigh - Tribulation - Sentient Horror - Turisas - Wilderun - Witherscape - Zeal & Ardor
  • Bob
    Petty Officer

by Bob » Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:45 pm

NEGATIVES

> dates early in January did not work for Aussies at all. Peak holiday period made flights way too expensive

1. February is much better for me. That first back-to-work week of January I didn’t care for, too expensive and too crowded with all the returning holiday travellers.

> Pool deck staff running over to tell a girl in the spa to put her top back on. Please! What are we? She had stickers on her naughty bits. Let her enjoy herself.

2. Really? Gal last year had her nipples X taped over/covered, she was all over the ship that way and no one said anything. Had to keep myself from starring tho, haha. Not really a fan of bringing children on this cruise, this isn’t a Disney cruise.

>NO official 70k stickers!! NONE!

3. Seems really odd that they don’t. Especially when 70K sends cease-and-desist emails to my friends that made their own and offered them to cruisers on FB.

>The sound in the main theater was awful for many of the sets, especially the first day and early second.

4. Exactly!

>The lack of bottle filling stations for water bottles. The cafe promenade had some ice water in buckets but you couldn't fill up bottles there. I tried, and they yelled at me.

I think this is the new standard. Saw a guy on MegaCruise (Norwegian Pearl) filling his water bottle by putting water in a glass and then transferring it to his bottle.

MEH

> Pool boys were a great idea.

1. I thought it was a nice addition, but it’s kind of an out dated idea even with the pool-girls.

POSITIVES

>We arrived at around 1330hrs to board the boat and the customs/sea pass/check-in was a breeze! Well done!

1. Last year and this year we got on the boat much earlier than I ever remember.

2. Glad for the later hours in the Windjammer these last few years, especially when I’m up late. Not a fan of it locking up for an hour and half between menus.
    Wishlist 2024: Ranked in order of:
    1. Line up on the center rail for both sets if announced.

Konvent
    2. Never seen them live.
    Anaal_Nathrakh-/-Burning_Witches-/-Combichrist-/-Dee_Snider-/-Gojira-/-Grai-/-Hanzel_und_Gretyl-/-IGNEA-/-Inquisition-/-Jinjer-/-Lovebites-/-King_Diamond-/-Mgla-/-Opeth-/-Rob_Zombie-/-Spiritbox-/-Temple_of_Evil-/-The_Hu-/-Vader-/-Visigoth-/-Wagakki_Band
    3. Seen them before and would love to see them on das boat.
    Avatar-/-Babymetal-/-Behemoth-/-Corrosion_of_Conformity-/-Fleshgod_Apocalypse-/-Lacuna_Coil-/-Lamb_of_God-/-Meshuggah-/-Metsatöll-/-Myrkur-/-Sabaton-/-Sepultura-/-Suicidal_Tendencies-/-Therion-/-The_Iron_Maidens-/-Wolves_in_the_Throne_Room
    70K Survivor - 2015, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 23
    abodrocc
    Petty Officer

by abodrocc » Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:45 pm

My biggest negative was the security staff during first Exodus set, i crowdsurfed and there was no securiy to help falling down, really scared when nobody helped me and felt direct to floor

I didn’t like pool girls or boys, for me doesn’t improve the cruise experience

Positive, customs and migration when returning back, sometimes leave the ship takes hours
    2011 Survived cabin 2543
    2012 cabin 2585
    2013 cabin 2035
    2014 cabin 2589
    2015 cabin 2264
    2016 cabin 8607
    2017 cabin 9611
    2018 cabin 8457
    2019 cabin 8673
    2020 cabin 6659

• metalforever
    Chief Petty Officer

by metalforever » Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:20 pm

NEGATIVES
    pool boys poor idea
    windjammer food quality was poor compared to past years and poor variety of selections for most meals
    Cozumel as the destination poor uninteresting tourist trap with no beach, waste of time getting off ship
    poor selections of convenience store items , otc medications , comfort foods and so on
    poor set up of lounge for concerts,bad visibility
    too much smoking , very disappointing
    non - smoking areas people still smoked, very disappointing
    no chapel converted to something else
    paper cups for coffee not freely available

POSITIVES
    pool girls , I would prefer the pool girls only doing the different courtesies that get extended to the guests
    boarding process well done , prompt ,efficient
    bands close to schedule
    room steward was very good
    room service was very good
    some of the shows were enjoyable
    all star jam good
  • whuhnerJunk
    Oiler

by whuhnerJunk » Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:00 pm

While my negatives list is longer, I do want to stress that I had a great time and overwhelmingly great experience. It's simply that the negatives stick in my mind better.

Positives
    Security this year was awesome. Saw no one dropped, they helped the smaller people (kids and tiny adults like me), danced with and some even sang along.

Almost every other survivor I interacted with. I came off as perturbed(to put it lightly) on facebook and those who either new me already or recognized me were able to have a face to face discussion and we were able to reconcile. I said it before and I'll say it again, the sailors are why I keep coming back regardless of lineup.

Boarding. Normally I arrive closer to 1000 and wind up waiting in that giant mess in the terminal. This year I showed up closer to 1330 and my longest wait was while someone in my party went to the bathroom.

Merch. For the first time in my 4 years I had no one attempt to cut around me and my merch came out fine. I have seen pictures of other merch items (the 70k Non-Survivor Hoodies seem to be the worst) that would be replacement worthy if there was a way to actually replace items.

Neutrals
    The addition of pool boys. I pretty much only interact with the pool people when boarding the ship and being handed a program. As long as you can hand me the program I don't care about gender, attractiveness or even if you like metal.

The Food. As long as I can eat it and I don't miss sets due to digestive issues that's good enough for me.

Negatives
    January Sailing. It was more expensive to fly(although I understand not as expensive as if we had to contend with Super Bowl) and it took more work to make sure work was covered as some people were still on holiday.

I noticed a fair amount of togs stealing setlists and picks (props to the one security guard who called the one guy out)

Conzumel. No excursions sounded interesting enough for how much they cost and you had to make a trip just to get to a beach. I also didn't like that there were other boats. I loved the feel of Haiti and Grand Turks where we were the only ones there. Having non metalheads reminded me of the world outside our wonderful boat.

The Lounge. While sound was less than stellar in most venues. The lounge as always was a disappointment. The best sound is outside the lounge and only a handful of people can actually see the band. I like the idea of having a stage that feels like your hometown hole in the wall but even the smallest worst venue in my hometown has the stage higher than 6 inches. I would rather have 45 bands on 3 stages than deal with the lounge.

The line up. Normally there is a sub genre or two that gets slighted and this year, power metal was definitely slighted. We only had one cheese fest band and the rest were very similar sounding. Don't get me wrong I loved all of them but I was hoping for a little bit more diversity even with how few bands we got.
    Thrash while high in numbers also suffered from having a bunch of thrash from the same area with similar styles. Barely any thrash from outside the bay area and even less from outside the US.
    And of course the fact that almost half the bands were from the same country with 24 US bands and second place being tied between Germany and Sweden with 6 (25% of first place)

Announcements. We were treated with radio silence for a long while and then #soon posts with no real actionable info nor reassuring comments. I am glad that the Skipper Thank You it was acknowledged that the illness was an explanation and not an excuse. Let's hope that for the future delegation can happen and the whole cruise doesn't suffer from 1 person not being at 100%
    Ethrivas
    Chief Petty Officer

by Ethrivas » Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:37 am

Hey, i had great time as usual but yeah it is good to point out some pros/cons.

NEGATIVE
    - Band announcement process, the dates, lack of info
    - Line up. It was unrelated to our average wishlists, genre-wise not balanced, lots of US mediocre bands.
    - Schedule could be better. Conflicts on some similar music taste bands. Some bands were pool-deck quality, yet were banished to Lounge and Ice-Rink.
    - Weak headliners
    - High prices (booze, rooms, plane tickets etc)
    - Cozumel (worst location for me so far)
    - Food quality at Windjammer (was not that bad tho)

POSITIVE
    - Sound was really good on most of the concerts (exception: Haggard-pool)
    - Merch line was slightly better
    - Saw more band members around this year
    Wishlist 2025:1914-/-Ablaze.My.Sorrow-/-AEPHANEMER-/-Aeternam-/-AETHERIAN-/-AGATHODAIMON-/-ALESTORM-/-ALLEGAEON-/-AMORPHIS-/-ANAAL.NATHRAKH-/-Amon.Amarth-/-Avatar-/-Behemoth-/-BE'LAKOR-/-Belzebubs-/-BLACKBRAID-/-BRYMIR-/-CLOAK-/-Cryptosis-/-Dååth-/-Dark.Oath-/-DESTINITY-/-DIMMU.BORGIR-/-Ensiferum-/-ETERNAL.TEARS.OF.SORROW-/-Finntroll-/-Foretoken-/-Gaerea-/-GROZA-/-Hypocrisy-/-Ignea-/-IMMORTAL-/-In.Aphelion-/-Kalmah-/-Kanonenfieber-/-King.of.Asgard-/-KVAEN-/-Lucifer's.Child-/-MELECHESH-/-Mezarkabul(Pentagram)-/-MGŁA-/-MOONSHADE-/-MÖRK.GRYNING-/-NAILED.TO.OBSCURITY-/-Necrophobic-/-NETHERBIRD-/-Orbit.Culture-/-OUROBOROS-/-PERPETUAL.NIGHT-/-PSYCROPTIC-/-Rhapsody(Turilli-Lione)-/-SATYRICON-/-SHADE.EMPIRE-/-SHYLMAGOGHNAR-/-SODOMISERY-/-STORTREGN-/-Stratovarius-/-SYLOSIS-/-Testament-/-THE.COMMITTEE-/-THE.CROWN-/-THE.SEER-/-THE.SPIRIT-/-THULCANDRA-/-Tryglav-/-TRIBULATION-/-Trivium-/-Turisas-/-Ulfven-/-Unanimated-/-VREID-/-Warbringer-/-Whispered-/-Wintersun-/-WORMWITCH-/-WORMWOOD-/-Zornheym
    2018, 2019, 2020, 2024: Survivor
    2023: Skip year
    cholernik
    Petty Officer

by cholernik » Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:06 am

DudeBro wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:18 pm
    *I'm sorry to say it but the guy wheelchair crowd surfing... I thought it was cool the first time but eventually it was a pretty big hazard

I was up front for emperor on the pool deck and yes, exactly, the first time was like "hey cool" then the next 18 thousand times was like "okay dude, that's enough, just stop"
    Gratch
    Chief Petty Officer

by Gratch » Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:16 am

metalforever wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:20 pm NEGATIVES
    pool boys poor idea

POSITIVES
    pool girls , I would prefer the pool girls only doing the different courtesies that get extended to the guests
    You do realize that there are both male and female cruisers, right?

Ultimate Wishlist Bands
  • metalforever
    Chief Petty Officer

by metalforever » Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:20 am

there were always male and female cruisers the other years also , why change now .
  • Phoenix
    Lieutenant

by Phoenix » Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:23 am

Y'all don't want to give me my eye candy, do you? Did you not notice you've had it for 9 years and yet ~30% of the clientele is female? (Stats or Slayergeek could confirm my numbers, I think it's actually higher)

Survivor:
    Out for 2023
  • metalforever
    Chief Petty Officer

by metalforever » Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:24 am

what will be next going to Hooters and seeing guys in orange shorts and tank tops , LOL !!!!
  • metalforever
    Chief Petty Officer

by metalforever » Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:27 am

it is great we can all express different points of view , just to go on record I have nothing against guys and am not homophobic , just expressing my personal preferences, that is the point of this forum right .
  • Phoenix
    Lieutenant

by Phoenix » Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:30 am

metalforever wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:24 am what will be next going to Hooters and seeing guys in orange shorts and tank tops , LOL !!!!
    Why the hell not? Gentlemen's clubs have been established for decades, and yet half of the population is female and, statistically, about half of the population would also appreciate the male form.

Saying that you're "not homophobic" but then expressing the Pool Boys as a negative, as if implying that it made your cruise experience worse, is pretty contradictory. If other people are enjoying it, why do you care so much?

Survivor:
    Out for 2023
    slayergeek
    Midshipman

by slayergeek » Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:32 am

Phoenix wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:23 am Y'all don't want to give me my eye candy, do you? Did you not notice you've had it for 9 years and yet ~30% of the clientele is female? (Stats or Slayergeek could confirm my numbers, I think it's actually higher)
    So I have no data from the app on Male/Female, but I was at the press conference and Andy did say how many cruisers were female, and he would know.

38.6 percent of the 3,028 guests where female.
    Survivor
    • 2014,2015,2016,2017,2018,2019,2020,2023,2024,See_you_in_2025

Absolute_Darkness-Death/Thrash_Band_I_am_the_Singer/Guitarist_for
    • FacebookPage-https://www.facebook.com/BandAbsoluteDarkness

Thud_Bukit-Death/Comedy_Band_I_am_the_Singer/Guitarist/Drummer/Bassist_for
    • FacebookPage-https://www.facebook.com/Thud-Bukit-100960638505481

70k Bands - Unofficial iPhone/Android_app_of_the_70,000_tons_cruise
    WishList
    • Old_Man's_Child-/-Battle_Cross-/-Impaled-/-Dismember-/-Amon_Amarth-/-Dethklok-/-Gruesome-/-Rotten_Sound-/-As_Blood_Runs_Black-/-Through_The_Eyes_Of_The_Dead-/-Testament-/
  • metalforever
    Chief Petty Officer

by metalforever » Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:41 am

Phoenix wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:30 am
    metalforever wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:24 am what will be next going to Hooters and seeing guys in orange shorts and tank tops , LOL !!!!
    Why the hell not? Gentlemen's clubs have been established for decades, and yet half of the population is female and, statistically, about half of the population would also appreciate the male form.

Saying that you're "not homophobic" but then expressing the Pool Boys as a negative, as if implying that it made your cruise experience worse, is pretty contradictory. If other people are enjoying it, why do you care so much?
    I am expressing my personal point of view ,all the other nine years of 70000 tons did female cruisers have a worse time because there were no pool boys ? also if I was going to a spa to receive a massage I would prefer a female masseuse it follows that train of thought.
    that is why if a male is going to most legitimate establishments they are given the courtesy of being asked if they prefer a male or female for a massage. If a guy handed me the program , it would have subtracted from the experience . Why does it bother some people with me expressing my perspective , I do not criticize others here, that clearly have different points of view from me on some things.
  • Phoenix
    Lieutenant

by Phoenix » Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:45 am

metalforever wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:41 am If a guy handed me the program , it would have subtracted from the experience .
    But no homo.

You clearly don't understand my point, so I'm not going to try and argue with you any more. I just hope I never have to get locked in a cruise elevator with you.

Survivor:
    Out for 2023
  • metalforever
    Chief Petty Officer

by metalforever » Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:56 am

Phoenix wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:45 am
    metalforever wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:41 am If a guy handed me the program , it would have subtracted from the experience .
    But no homo.

You clearly don't understand my point, so I'm not going to try and argue with you any more. I just hope I never have to get locked in a cruise elevator with you.
    and clearly you took what I said out of context, you get angry and make unkind remarks towards me and you do not even know me or my overall core values. I have spoken with courtesy here and you have been somewhat disrespectful towards me, due to not being in agreement with you.I have different points of view , you seem a bit narrow minded, ironically though.
    cholernik
    Petty Officer

by cholernik » Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:27 am

I'm a straight male and I didn't think the pool girls were attractive. Just caked in makeup and annoying. BUT, they didn't piss me off or take away from myself enjoying the cruise. if people enjoy them, fine. Same with the dudes. I didn't think they were attractive and they were equally as annoying, but if people like them, fine. I don't give a shit. There were gross fatsos hogging up the pool and sun and they were offensive to look at, still, didn't bother me much. I don't care. do what you want, look at what you want, enjoy what you enjoy. If you don't enjoy something, then don't enjoy it. Let the people that enjoy it, enjoy it.

same goes for music. i think power metal is wuss music, but I get it, people like it. Fine. I'm glad you like something. It doesn't piss me off or ruin my experience.
  • DudeBro
    Oiler

by DudeBro » Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:35 am

cholernik wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:27 am I'm a straight male and I didn't think the pool girls were attractive. Just caked in makeup and annoying. BUT, they didn't piss me off or take away from myself enjoying the cruise. if people enjoy them, fine. Same with the dudes. I didn't think they were attractive and they were equally as annoying, but if people like them, fine. I don't give a shit. There were gross fatsos hogging up the pool and sun and they were offensive to look at, still, didn't bother me much. I don't care. do what you want, look at what you want, enjoy what you enjoy. If you don't enjoy something, then don't enjoy it. Let the people that enjoy it, enjoy it.

same goes for music. i think power metal is wuss music, but I get it, people like it. Fine. I'm glad you like something. It doesn't piss me off or ruin my experience.
    If it makes our tickets cheaper? Get rid of them.

I'm on the boat to go to metal shows. The world is full of places you can go look at scantily clad guys and gals, why bother when you paid so much to be on the boat?

Airbourne + Babymetal + Crystal Viper + Dethklok + Enforcer + Eternal Champion + Grand Magus + Hell + Slough Feg + Magic Circle + Nekrogoblikon + Powerwolf + Stormwarrior + Sumerlands + The Sword + Visigoth
  • DudeBro
    Oiler

by DudeBro » Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:38 am

cholernik wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:06 am
    DudeBro wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:18 pm

I was up front for emperor on the pool deck and yes, exactly, the first time was like "hey cool" then the next 18 thousand times was like "okay dude, that's enough, just stop"
    I'm glad I'm not the only person who felt this way.

• metalforever
    Chief Petty Officer

by metalforever » Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:44 am

I hope the monthly pool girl continues !!!!!!!!
    I enjoy the different girls each month !
    In this politically correct world I wonder if this is going away also !
    Are the pool boys coming for the calendar too !
    What is the world coming to , hopefully liking the pool girl calendar is not offensive to anyone, do I need to apologize for preferring girls on the calendar and no guys LOL!!!!!!!!!
  • DudeBro
    Oiler

by DudeBro » Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:54 am

metalforever wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:44 am I hope the monthly pool girl continues !!!!!!!!
    What is the world coming to , hopefully liking the pool girl calendar is not offensive to anyone, do I need to apologize for preferring girls on the calendar and no guys LOL!!!!!!!!!
    The whole world is (very) slowly trending away from the sexualization of women to sell products.

Being seriously opposed to things like the Pool Boys will ultimately lead to the demise of Pool Girls. You should be celebrating a solution that balances the playing field.

I'd still rather have neither, but now I'm thinking I want some Pool "Queens" too. Let's get men, women and everything in-between on the calendar!

Gratch
    Chief Petty Officer

by Gratch » Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:44 am

metalforever wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:44 am I hope the monthly pool girl continues !!!!!!!!
    Since just under 40% of the cruise population is female, then yes, I would expect to see pool boys included in the calendar as well. And I have absolutely zero issue with that.

FWIW, I don't think pool people really add to the cruise in a meaningful way, but I did appreciate the move towards inclusion this year. YMMV.

Ultimate Wishlist Bands
  • metalforever
    Chief Petty Officer

by metalforever » Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:53 am

everyone is entitled to their own opinion, to each his or her own .
    maybe there will be inclusion of Christian metal bands on the cruise also.
    inclusion is for all things, not just what you have a personal vested concern or preference with .

following the percentage point of view why is there not a chapel on board still , over 50 % of boat believe in God .
    Last edited by metalforever on Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
  • metalforever
    Chief Petty Officer

by metalforever » Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:00 am

metalforever wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:53 am everyone is entitled to their own opinion, to each his or her own .
    inclusion is for all things, not just what you have a personal vested concern or preference with .
    following the percentage point of view why is there not a chapel on board still , over 50 % of boat believe in God .
    cegr80
    Lieutenant

by cegr80 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:07 am

I don't really care about pool girls or pool boys, that is not what I'm looking for at a metal cruise. Eye candy is nice but beauty is in the eye of the beer holder :beerwink:
    2017.2018.2019.2020.2023.2024.GOLD.Survivor|2025 Wishlist:1349-1914-Aephanemer-Akercoke-Alcest-Alkaloid-AnaalNathrakh-AnAbstractIllusion-Atvm-Avatar-Avslut-Be'lakor-Belzebubs-ChapelOfDisease-Chthonic-Darkthrone-DiabloSwingOrchestra-Dimmu Borgir-Dodheimsgard-Draconian-EternalTearsOfSorrow-FreakKitchen-Hamferd-IATT-LochVostok-Marduk-NocnyKochanek-Satyricon-Schammasch-Scour-Shining(Nor)-Sigh-SulphurAeon-Turisas-Ulver-Virvum-Watain-WhiteWard
    Gratch
    Chief Petty Officer

by Gratch » Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:20 am

metalforever wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:00 am
    metalforever wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:53 am everyone is entitled to their own opinion, to each his or her own .
    Removing the chapel was Royal Caribbean's decision, not 70K's.

Ultimate Wishlist Bands
  • metalforever
    Chief Petty Officer

by metalforever » Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:28 am

Gratch wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:20 am
    so 70 k decides to not do the cruise on a ship that still has a chapel to accommodate the over 50 % that would like to pray in the chapel to God.
  • metalforever
    Chief Petty Officer

by metalforever » Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:35 am

metalforever wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:28 am
    Gratch wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:20 am

so 70 k decides to not do the cruise on a ship that still has a chapel to accommodate the over 50 % that would like to pray in the chapel to God. It seems religious choice and freedom is not a priority for some .
    But by George there are pool boys , that is important issue for some people.
Post Reply 60 posts