Post Reply 60 posts
Thoughts, constructive criticism etc for 2020's boat
  • metalforever
    Chief Petty Officer

Re: Thoughts, constructive criticism etc for 2020's boat

by metalforever » Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:48 am

Moving forward ,I will think long and hard to if I return to 70000 Tons for 2021.
    I am going to weigh out all the negatives and positives
    One thing for sure ,we all have free will to if we decide to attend again or not and where and how we spend our hard earned money ! No one forces anyone to go if they do not feel like going , that is for sure !
    Gratch
    Chief Petty Officer

by Gratch » Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:54 am

metalforever wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:35 am
    metalforever wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:28 am
    Gratch wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:20 am

Removing the chapel was Royal Caribbean's decision, not 70K's.
    so 70 k decides to not do the cruise on a ship that still has a chapel to accommodate the over 50 % that would like to pray in the chapel to God. It seems religious choice and freedom is not a priority for some .
    But by George there are pool boys , that is important issue for some people.

You do you, man.

(Apologies to all for the derail. I'll back out of this one now.)
    Survivor 2016/17/18/19/20

Ultimate Wishlist Bands
    Anaal Nathrakh - Behemoth - Igorrr - Khemmis - Myrkur - The Ocean - Pallbearer - Sigh - Tribulation - Sentient Horror - Turisas - Wilderun - Witherscape - Zeal & Ardor
    JamieS
    Crewman

by JamieS » Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:57 pm

One positive that was a coincidence of weather was that when they had to take down the stage banners due to wind, it opened up some nice sight lines from the side of deck 12. I get that they want their name in everyone's Insta photos, but it would be better if they only put up the top banner (which I assume is an obligation to their sponsors) and leave the sides clear.
    4x Survivor: 2017-2020
    2021: Can we get the date?
    JamieS
    Crewman

by JamieS » Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:00 pm

^^^ The above thought popped back into my head 5 minutes after I submitted the Survivor Survey :facepalm:
    4x Survivor: 2017-2020
    2021: Can we get the date?
    slayergeek
    Midshipman

by slayergeek » Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:13 pm

The one issue everyone agrees on is the announcement process and overall communication needs major fixing.

Even now, we don't have any sail date (which is HIGHLY unusual), we don't know when we will get a sail date, we have no idea why we don't have a sail date, and we have no idea when announcements will start.

UMC/Andy really need to work on their communication. Even something as simple as an announcement saying

"Sail dates and the ship we sail on will be announced in Spring of 2020 with band announcements starting in Summer of 2020"

This would give them a pretty wide range of dates in which to make an announcement without nailing themselves to anything too specific, while still give us survivors some guidance and setting some expectations.

UMC knows they need to do better with communicating, and the way to do that is to communicate things and set exceptions.
    Survivor
    • 2014,2015,2016,2017,2018,2019,2020,2023,2024,See_you_in_2025

Absolute_Darkness-Death/Thrash_Band_I_am_the_Singer/Guitarist_for
    • FacebookPage-https://www.facebook.com/BandAbsoluteDarkness

Thud_Bukit-Death/Comedy_Band_I_am_the_Singer/Guitarist/Drummer/Bassist_for
    • FacebookPage-https://www.facebook.com/Thud-Bukit-100960638505481

70k Bands - Unofficial iPhone/Android_app_of_the_70,000_tons_cruise
    WishList
    • Old_Man's_Child-/-Battle_Cross-/-Impaled-/-Dismember-/-Amon_Amarth-/-Dethklok-/-Gruesome-/-Rotten_Sound-/-As_Blood_Runs_Black-/-Through_The_Eyes_Of_The_Dead-/-Testament-/
    Pellaz
    Lieutenant

by Pellaz » Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:22 pm

Whew, this thread devolved into chaos in a big, fat, fucking hurry.

slayergeek wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:13 pm The one issue everyone agrees on is the announcement process and overall communication needs major fixing.
    Even now, we don't have any sail date (which is HIGHLY unusual), we don't know when we will get a sail date, we have no idea why we don't have a sail date, and we have no idea when announcements will start.
    Hell, we don't even have a ship or a cruise line, either. Just a destination which about half of us really don't care for. Yippeeee!
    UMC/Andy really need to work on their communication. Even something as simple as an announcement saying
    "Sail dates and the ship we sail on will be announced in Spring of 2020 with band announcements starting in Summer of 2020"
    This would give them a pretty wide range of dates in which to make an announcement without nailing themselves to anything too specific, while still give us survivors some guidance and setting some expectations.
    UMC knows they need to do better with communicating, and the way to do that is to communicate things and set exceptions.
    From your typing fingers to Andy's ears. But, let's face it, they know it's a problem and may or may not rectify it. I'm guessing the latter. Yet again.
    2025 Wishlist:
    1349--Abbath--Abigail.Williams--Aephanemer--Agalloch--Agathodaimon--Alien.Weaponry--Allegaeon--Amon.Amarth--Amorphis--Animals.As.Leaders--Arkona--Arsis--Atrocity--Ayreon--Bal.Sagoth--Baroness--Barren.Earth--Battlelore--Behemoth--Below.7--Belzebubs--Be'lakor--Black.Crown.Initiate--Bloodbath--Borknagar--Broken.Trinity--Cannibal.Corpse--Chthe'ilist--CoF--Countless.Skies--Cynic--Demons.&.Wizards--Dimmu.Borgir--Dark.Tranquillity--Dragonforce--Edge.of.Sanity--Witherscape--anything.Dan.Swano--Eluveitie--Eneferens--Ensiferum--Enslaved--Eternal.Tears.of.Sorrow--Evergrey--Exmortus--Ex.Deo--Fear.Factory--Fires.In.the.Distance--Gojira--Graveworm--Green.Carnation--Hypocrisy--Immortal--Insomnium--Irreversible.Mechanism--Kalmah--Kamelot--Keep.Of.Kalessin--Korpiklaani--Kreator--Leprous--Luciferan.Light.Orchestra--Loss--Melechesh--Meshuggah--Mezarkabul--Moonspell--Mors.Principium.Est--Myrath--Ne.Obliviscaris--Nile--Nokturnal.Mortem--NorthTale--Novembers.Doom--Obscura--Old.Mans.Child--Opeth--Paladin--Poisonblack--Powerwolf--Primordial--Rapheumet's.Well--Raven--Rivers.Of.Nihil--Ryujin--Sabaton--Sadistic.Ritual--Samael--Satyricon--Savatage--Scale.the.Summit--Scorched.Moon--Septic.Flesh--Serious.Black--Seven.Spires--Sigh--Skalmold--Slough.Feg--Starkill--Steorrah--SYL--Suidakra--Summoning--Tarot--Therion--Thy.Serpent--Tomarum--Tomb.Mold--Turisas--Twilight.Force--Tyr--Vale.Of.Pnath--Valhalore--Vesania--Vintersorg--Wolfchant--Yyrkoon
    2015-2020; 2023-2024: Survivor
    2025: most likely
    cholernik
    Petty Officer

by cholernik » Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:07 am

Pellaz wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:22 pm Whew, this thread devolved into chaos in a big, fat, fucking hurry.

From your typing fingers to Andy's ears. But, let's face it, they know it's a problem and may or may not rectify it. I'm guessing the latter. Yet again.
    They don't view it as a problem, obviously. They'll chalk 2020 up as a fluke. I can't stand the drawn out announcements, no other fest does this. BUT, they sell tickets, and they don't have a problem filling the boat up. What I'm saying is, nothing will change.

2021 is already off to a weird start though, with only a destination announced. Leads to a lot of speculation like change in boat and/or cruise line. Could happen, also may not happen. We just have to wait, and waiting fucking sucks.
    2020: Survivor
    mbob
    Chief Petty Officer

by mbob » Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:29 am

I have a feeling the boat and date are already locked in and I am going to go out on a limb here and say he is waiting for the 1 year until sailing mark to come before he announces it.

When it comes to cruise ship destinations there is no way you are going to pick a destination without having the date and the boat first.
    2015 - Survivor...Finally! (8320)
    2016 - Survivor (2292)
    2017 - Survivor (9618)
    2018 - Survivor (9678)
    2019 - Survivor (9272)
    2020 - Retired
    2021 - COVID
    2022 - COVID

2023 - Retired
    2024 - Retired

2025 - Maybe time to come out of 70K retirement!
    cholernik
    Petty Officer

by cholernik » Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:04 am

mbob wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:29 am I have a feeling the boat and date are already locked in and I am going to go out on a limb here and say he is waiting for the 1 year until sailing mark to come before he announces it.

When it comes to cruise ship destinations there is no way you are going to pick a destination without having the date and the boat first.
    I don't know about "locked in" otherwise we'd have a date. Nobody benefits by withholding the dates. What I'm thinking is there are a few options, and they're just working out some final negotiations or finding the best deal.

again, this is the kind of madness that happens when we don't know shit.
    2020: Survivor
    mbob
    Chief Petty Officer

by mbob » Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:26 am

If you look at the February 2021 schedule for the Independence there is no availability for 70K that month. There is nothing scheduled from the 8th - 13th which is most likely Monsters of Rock since it lines up with their dates this year and is a 5 day cruise. Rock Legends has the boat from the 18th to the 22nd. Royal Caribbean does not do back to back large scale charter cruises so if MOR has that February 8th sailing then that means 70K would not be able to get the February 4th date. https://www.cruisetimetables.com/cruise ... b2021.html

If you look at the January 2021 schedule there is nothing from January 16th through February 4. If 70K is returning to the Independence then it might be during that time. https://www.cruisetimetables.com/cruise ... n2021.html

March is hitting Spring Break season so charter prices probably go up that month.

Now of course if he is looking at another cruise line and/or boat then this means nothing but I doubt that is the case.
    2016 - Survivor (2292)
    2017 - Survivor (9618)
    2018 - Survivor (9678)
    2019 - Survivor (9272)
    2020 - Retired
    2021 - COVID
    2022 - COVID

2023 - Retired
    2024 - Retired

toby
    Midshipman

by toby » Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:43 am

I'm not really going to rehash most of the points covered. But my thoughts...

Positives:
    Pool boys. I think it's about time the women and gay men got some eye candy too. I don't fit into either of those categories, but good on 'em. And I'm pretty sure a pool boy handed me my program when I got on board. lol
    I ate almost exclusively at the Vegan Corner and thought that food was just fine.
    Had cheese pizza once from Sorrento's and it was actually decent.

Negatives:
    Avocados were not ripe and were practically impossible to eat.
    Star Lounge still sucks as a venue. Sound was fine, but it's literally impossible to see a band without getting there super early to get at the barricade.
    Survivor 2019,2020,2023,2024/Wishlist...
    A.Sound.Of.Thunder/Accept/Ad.Infinitum/Aether.Realm/Alabama.Thunderpussy/Amaranthe/Anthrax/Arch.Enemy/Art.Of.Anarchy/At.The.Gates/Avantasia/Avatar/Burning.Witches/Cattle.Decapitation/Cemetery.Skyline/Corrosion.Of.Conformity/Crowbar/Dark.Tranquillity/Death.Angel/Death.Dealer.Union/Deathless.Legacy/Devin.Townsend/Dragony/Dream.Theater/Edguy/Elegant.Weapons/Eluveitie/Ensiferum/Exhorder/Exodus/Fates.Warning/Goatwhore/Haken/Hammerfall/Havok/Helloween/Hellscore/Jinjer/Kerry.King/King.Diamond/King's.X/Kobra.and.the.Lotus/Lacuna.Coil/Mercyful.Fate/Meshuggah/Metal.Church/Moonspell/Mors.Principium.Est/Myrath/Napalm.Death/Ne.Obliviscaris/Nekrogoblikon/Northern.Kings/Opeth/Orphaned.Land/Overkill/Paradise.Lost/Persefone/Powerwolf/Queensryche/Rage/Raven/Ravenous.EH/Riot.V/Sabaton/Scardust/Scorched.Moon/Seven.Spires/SIGH/Skiltron/Solemn.Vision/Sonata.Arctica/Soto/Stratovarius/Subway.to.Sally/Suicidal.Tendencies/Svartsot/Symphony.X/Testament/The.Black.Dahlia.Murder/The.Hu/The.Unity/Tribunal/Trouble/Twilight.Force/Unleash.The.Archers/Van.Canto/Within.Temptation
  • FinnPete
    Crewman

by FinnPete » Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:37 am

mbob wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:26 am If you look at the January 2021 schedule there is nothing from January 16th through February 4. If 70K is returning to the Independence then it might be during that time. https://www.cruisetimetables.com/cruise ... n2021.html
    From 16th to 24th of January is an event called SuperCruise on Indy. K-Love cruise is Jan 30th - Feb 4th. So there are 7 days available, but if regular cruise has to be between two charters then it explains why there is no announcement about boat or dates yet.
    Pellaz
    Lieutenant

by Pellaz » Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:28 am

Hmm, here's a criticism: I thought I'd finished the survey, and then it asked for my access code again, and I was back at the beginning again.

Seems like this has been a problem in the past, too. :evil:
    2025 Wishlist:
    1349--Abbath--Abigail.Williams--Aephanemer--Agalloch--Agathodaimon--Alien.Weaponry--Allegaeon--Amon.Amarth--Amorphis--Animals.As.Leaders--Arkona--Arsis--Atrocity--Ayreon--Bal.Sagoth--Baroness--Barren.Earth--Battlelore--Behemoth--Below.7--Belzebubs--Be'lakor--Black.Crown.Initiate--Bloodbath--Borknagar--Broken.Trinity--Cannibal.Corpse--Chthe'ilist--CoF--Countless.Skies--Cynic--Demons.&.Wizards--Dimmu.Borgir--Dark.Tranquillity--Dragonforce--Edge.of.Sanity--Witherscape--anything.Dan.Swano--Eluveitie--Eneferens--Ensiferum--Enslaved--Eternal.Tears.of.Sorrow--Evergrey--Exmortus--Ex.Deo--Fear.Factory--Fires.In.the.Distance--Gojira--Graveworm--Green.Carnation--Hypocrisy--Immortal--Insomnium--Irreversible.Mechanism--Kalmah--Kamelot--Keep.Of.Kalessin--Korpiklaani--Kreator--Leprous--Luciferan.Light.Orchestra--Loss--Melechesh--Meshuggah--Mezarkabul--Moonspell--Mors.Principium.Est--Myrath--Ne.Obliviscaris--Nile--Nokturnal.Mortem--NorthTale--Novembers.Doom--Obscura--Old.Mans.Child--Opeth--Paladin--Poisonblack--Powerwolf--Primordial--Rapheumet's.Well--Raven--Rivers.Of.Nihil--Ryujin--Sabaton--Sadistic.Ritual--Samael--Satyricon--Savatage--Scale.the.Summit--Scorched.Moon--Septic.Flesh--Serious.Black--Seven.Spires--Sigh--Skalmold--Slough.Feg--Starkill--Steorrah--SYL--Suidakra--Summoning--Tarot--Therion--Thy.Serpent--Tomarum--Tomb.Mold--Turisas--Twilight.Force--Tyr--Vale.Of.Pnath--Valhalore--Vesania--Vintersorg--Wolfchant--Yyrkoon
    mbob
    Chief Petty Officer

by mbob » Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:25 am

FinnPete wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:37 am
    mbob wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:26 am If you look at the January 2021 schedule there is nothing from January 16th through February 4. If 70K is returning to the Independence then it might be during that time. https://www.cruisetimetables.com/cruise ... n2021.html
    From 16th to 24th of January is an event called SuperCruise on Indy. K-Love cruise is Jan 30th - Feb 4th. So there are 7 days available, but if regular cruise has to be between two charters then it explains why there is no announcement about boat or dates yet.
    So the only available date in January or February for 70K is January 7- January 11 but they would have to cancel their already scheduled cruise. Otherwise it will have to be on another ship or another month.
    2016 - Survivor (2292)
    2017 - Survivor (9618)
    2018 - Survivor (9678)
    2019 - Survivor (9272)
    2020 - Retired
    2021 - COVID
    2022 - COVID

2023 - Retired
    2024 - Retired

toby
    Midshipman

by toby » Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:03 pm

mbob wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:26 am If you look at the February 2021 schedule for the Independence there is no availability for 70K that month. There is nothing scheduled from the 8th - 13th which is most likely Monsters of Rock since it lines up with their dates this year and is a 5 day cruise. Rock Legends has the boat from the 18th to the 22nd. Royal Caribbean does not do back to back large scale charter cruises so if MOR has that February 8th sailing then that means 70K would not be able to get the February 4th date. https://www.cruisetimetables.com/cruise ... b2021.html

If you look at the January 2021 schedule there is nothing from January 16th through February 4. If 70K is returning to the Independence then it might be during that time. https://www.cruisetimetables.com/cruise ... n2021.html

March is hitting Spring Break season so charter prices probably go up that month.

Now of course if he is looking at another cruise line and/or boat then this means nothing but I doubt that is the case.
    He has already stated that Jamaica is the destination. There are 3 Independence cruises going to Jamaica, but they add a day and a stop at Labadee. They are scheduled to sail 1/2, 2/13, and 2/27. RC has been known to bump cruises for charters before.

Also, MORC has no standard sailing schedule. They have been as early as early February and as late as late April (ignoring the 2016 year when they did 2). They also don't have any loyalty to cruise lines. They have been on MSC, Norwegian, and RC.
    A.Sound.Of.Thunder/Accept/Ad.Infinitum/Aether.Realm/Alabama.Thunderpussy/Amaranthe/Anthrax/Arch.Enemy/Art.Of.Anarchy/At.The.Gates/Avantasia/Avatar/Burning.Witches/Cattle.Decapitation/Cemetery.Skyline/Corrosion.Of.Conformity/Crowbar/Dark.Tranquillity/Death.Angel/Death.Dealer.Union/Deathless.Legacy/Devin.Townsend/Dragony/Dream.Theater/Edguy/Elegant.Weapons/Eluveitie/Ensiferum/Exhorder/Exodus/Fates.Warning/Goatwhore/Haken/Hammerfall/Havok/Helloween/Hellscore/Jinjer/Kerry.King/King.Diamond/King's.X/Kobra.and.the.Lotus/Lacuna.Coil/Mercyful.Fate/Meshuggah/Metal.Church/Moonspell/Mors.Principium.Est/Myrath/Napalm.Death/Ne.Obliviscaris/Nekrogoblikon/Northern.Kings/Opeth/Orphaned.Land/Overkill/Paradise.Lost/Persefone/Powerwolf/Queensryche/Rage/Raven/Ravenous.EH/Riot.V/Sabaton/Scardust/Scorched.Moon/Seven.Spires/SIGH/Skiltron/Solemn.Vision/Sonata.Arctica/Soto/Stratovarius/Subway.to.Sally/Suicidal.Tendencies/Svartsot/Symphony.X/Testament/The.Black.Dahlia.Murder/The.Hu/The.Unity/Tribunal/Trouble/Twilight.Force/Unleash.The.Archers/Van.Canto/Within.Temptation
    taketheday
    Chief Petty Officer

by taketheday » Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:00 am

I was happy that Sorrento had a new pizza and not only the 2 same ones for few years.
    I was quite surprised that the Sierra Nevada beer was out of stock so quickly at the deck 5 pub.
    One thing I would like to add, why to do the last night's karaoke on deck 11? In general I never miss it, but cause of the strong ship movements, I had to skip it this year, for my very own security as I had a lot of difficulties to walk, even on deck 3 :roll:

2013: 7545
    2014: 9554
    2015: 2633
    2016 and 2019: 7320
    2017/2018: 7624
    2020: 7324

https://www.facebook.com/Bands.support.and.promotion
  • Bob
    Petty Officer

by Bob » Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:20 am

taketheday wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:00 am ...One thing I would like to add, why to do the last night's karaoke on deck 11?...
    I'm the same way about the last night karaoke at the Solarium on deck 11. It's a cramped area and hard to see there plus it's top-side. I much prefer the Karaoke at the Playmakers Sports Bar on deck 4. Not too impressed with the guys that ran the Karaoke this year, their equipment was crashing several times, plus the video on the background display had nothing relevant to what any of the songs that people were singing. I was so irritated with them I had to walk away.
    Wishlist 2024: Ranked in order of:
    1. Line up on the center rail for both sets if announced.

Konvent
    2. Never seen them live.
    Anaal_Nathrakh-/-Burning_Witches-/-Combichrist-/-Dee_Snider-/-Gojira-/-Grai-/-Hanzel_und_Gretyl-/-IGNEA-/-Inquisition-/-Jinjer-/-Lovebites-/-King_Diamond-/-Mgla-/-Opeth-/-Rob_Zombie-/-Spiritbox-/-Temple_of_Evil-/-The_Hu-/-Vader-/-Visigoth-/-Wagakki_Band
    3. Seen them before and would love to see them on das boat.
    Avatar-/-Babymetal-/-Behemoth-/-Corrosion_of_Conformity-/-Fleshgod_Apocalypse-/-Lacuna_Coil-/-Lamb_of_God-/-Meshuggah-/-Metsatöll-/-Myrkur-/-Sabaton-/-Sepultura-/-Suicidal_Tendencies-/-Therion-/-The_Iron_Maidens-/-Wolves_in_the_Throne_Room
    70K Survivor - 2015, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 23
    Pellaz
    Lieutenant

by Pellaz » Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:12 pm

taketheday wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:00 am I was happy that Sorrento had a new pizza and not only the 2 same ones for few years.
    When I dropped by that one (1) time, they only had cheese and pepperoni available. What was the new pizza?
    One thing I would like to add, why to do the last night's karaoke on deck 11? In general I never miss it, but cause of the strong ship movements, I had to skip it this year, for my very own security as I had a lot of difficulties to walk, even on deck 3 :roll:
    I'm almost certain it's because it's easier and quicker to pack up and offload the equipment from there on debark morning. Karaoke is scheduled "until docking," but then it's a race to get the equipment and such ready to be craned off from the pool-deck.
    2025 Wishlist:
    toby
    Midshipman

by toby » Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:46 am

toby wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:03 pm
    mbob wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:26 am If you look at the February 2021 schedule for the Independence there is no availability for 70K that month. There is nothing scheduled from the 8th - 13th which is most likely Monsters of Rock since it lines up with their dates this year and is a 5 day cruise. Rock Legends has the boat from the 18th to the 22nd. Royal Caribbean does not do back to back large scale charter cruises so if MOR has that February 8th sailing then that means 70K would not be able to get the February 4th date. https://www.cruisetimetables.com/cruise ... b2021.html

He has already stated that Jamaica is the destination. There are 3 Independence cruises going to Jamaica, but they add a day and a stop at Labadee. They are scheduled to sail 1/2, 2/13, and 2/27. RC has been known to bump cruises for charters before.

Also, MORC has no standard sailing schedule. They have been as early as early February and as late as late April (ignoring the 2016 year when they did 2). They also don't have any loyalty to cruise lines. They have been on MSC, Norwegian, and RC.
    At this point, we know that MORC is 2/8-2/13 on the Indy, so that makes 70K on the Indy on 2/13 highly unlikely,, because RC has a history of not wanting back to back charters.
    SavaRon
    Crewman

by SavaRon » Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:56 am

I really think they need to bring some outside help to run this thing. On the ship they do a great job, but they just can't seem to get anything up to boarding right. At this point they should be working on 2022, not 2021. All these other cruises have dates, bands, bookings coming up.

Same shit, different year.