Locked 9 posts Page 1 of 1
A few questions...
  • Phantom Lord
    Wiper

A few questions...

by Phantom Lord » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:27 am

Heya everybody,

You seem like the friendly type round here (well, we'll see ;) ), so I'd appreciate it if someone cleared some things up for me.

I know we've only got 7 bands for next time around, but I still would love to go on what seemed like the funnest thing ever last year!

However, I have 2 main concerns:
    1. Will there be any problems/difficulties/anything that will make the experience less fun as I'm only 16 (and so will be any friends I drag along :D ) I know you need someone over 21, and that will probably be fine
    2. Cost - clearly I'm not made of money as I'm just a kid, but can anyone tell me how much it cost overall, including flights from UK/Europe? And how easy was it to get there?

Also:
    How did the cruise differ from other gigs/festivals?
    I have been to many gigs and am heading to Soni UK for my first festival this year :headbanger:

So yeah, thanks! Hope that I'll get to join you in January :D
  • Metalwrath

Re: A few questions...

by Metalwrath » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:30 am

If you manage to book the cheapest cabin and find decently priced flights you are probably talking about 1300 euro.
    Then you have accomdation on top of that and expensives while in the U.S. and on the cruise.
    Probably about 1800 euro per person or slightly less.
    Ravenlord
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Ravenlord » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:36 am

Yeah, last year for me it was overall about €2000 going from Ireland. That covers excessive drinking though (which you are not "supposed" to be able to do) :D

So I would say you could probably do it for £1500 GBP quite comfortably.
    Absolute Steel-::-Brainstorm-::-Cage-::-Candlemass-::-Dalriada-::-Dark Moor-::-Demons-&-Wizards-::-Diabolical-Masterpiece-::-GWAR-::-Impellitteri-::-Iron-Savior-::-Krux-::-Madder-Mortem-::-Nocturnal-Rites-::-Schandmaul-::-Tad-Morose-::-Terasbetoni-::-Vhäldemar-::-W.A.S.P
    viathyn
    Commander

by viathyn » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:39 am

Phantom Lord wrote:However, I have 2 main concerns:
    1. Will there be any problems/difficulties/anything that will make the experience less fun as I'm only 16 (and so will be any friends I drag along :D ) I know you need someone over 21, and that will probably be fine

Also:
    How did the cruise differ from other gigs/festivals?

First off, you won't be able to drink. If it's what you're into then you could likely have someone get stuff for you... but that's at your own discretion and I won't condone illegal underage drinking on a public forum. The drinking aspect was more social then anything.. and it certainly helped to loosen the lips once karaoke time came around and such! Other than that, I can't see any major disadvantages of being underage on the boat. I know a couple of people that were 20 when they were on the boat and they had a great time.

The biggest difference is the very relaxed, personal, almost 'backstage' feeling of the whole thing. You are literally brushing elbows with some of the genre's greats for the whole week. Ideally, it would be good not to be a huge 'fanboy' during these occurences. Overall, everyone was pretty mature, calm, polite, and controlled on the cruise. It didn't feel like complete chaos. The sound was excellent, the bands had sufficient slot times, and since it's kind of expensive, everyone was there for the right reasons. There was a very low percentage of 'scum' that you normally see at metal shows who show up just to mosh and get belligerant drunk.

It felt very sophisticated when compared to other shows and festivals.

Hope this helps, and hope to see you there! :cheers:
    2011: Cabin #5549
    2012: Cabin #2581
    2013: Cabin #2077
    2014: Cabin #2583
    2015: Cabin #3242

Please check out my band
    http://www.facebook.com/VIATHYN

Bentz!
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Bentz! » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:53 am

Phantom Lord wrote:I know we've only got 7 bands for next time around, but I still would love to go on what seemed like the funnest thing ever last year!

Even if you don't like a lot of the bands, you'll still have a great time!
  • Phantom Lord
    Wiper

by Phantom Lord » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:55 am

Thanks guys for the quick responses! :)
    Psycho
    Crewman

by Psycho » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:51 pm

Well, on the last cruise, I wasn't 21 and had an awesome time!
    Only problems you'll find on the cruise are lack of time to sleep and having to choose between two bands, but that's for all ages ;)

I found it way nicer than usual festivals or gigs, since there weren't those random guys that jump the festival's fence to throw stuff at bands and hit people... And also WAAAY cleaner. People take showers and brush their teeth(mostly)! :lol:

But it'll be fun, no matter how old you are!
    2011: #3529
    2012: #3547
    Michaelage
    Chief Petty Officer

by Michaelage » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:48 pm

uhm cleaner... i only showered after that godawful salty ocean water in cozumel.. and i only brushed my teeth once... also salty water... damn girl... showering more then once a week is bad for your health!!!!

and yea i know... my cleaning habits are from the european middle ages...

on the other hand... i would like to state that METAL IS FOREVER!!!! and now i have to work... boooooo... booo... aarrrgghhh ... bboooo!!!
    viathyn
    Commander

by viathyn » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:51 pm

Also, there were scantily clad women in the hot tubs... like Psycho!
    2011: Cabin #5549
    2012: Cabin #2581
    2013: Cabin #2077
    2014: Cabin #2583
    2015: Cabin #3242

Please check out my band
    http://www.facebook.com/VIATHYN

Locked 9 posts Page 1 of 1