Post Reply 35 posts Page 1 of 1
Favourite Concept Albums
    cowboy71
    Commander

Favourite Concept Albums

by cowboy71 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:44 pm

While I enjoy just throwing iTunes into shuffle mode, sometimes its great to really let a good concept album flow over you from start to finish.

What are your favourites?

Some of mine:

QUEENSRYCHE - Operation: Mindcrime
    Awesome combination of a great story, combined with some of the best songs 'ryche have ever written. Eyes of A Stranger, Speak, Revolution Calling, Suite Sister Mary.

BLIND GUARDIAN - Nightfall in Middle Earth
    Blind Guardian. Tolkien. Need I say more?

TEN - Babylon
    Fascinating story about virtual reality and love. A true classic that in my eyes Ten have never bettered.
    Upcoming Gigs:
    -/-Halestorm?-/-Fleshgod-Apocalypse-/-Scar-Symmetry-/-Wind-Rose-/-Unleash-The-Archers
    2025 Wishlist
    Ad-Infinitum-/-Aephanemer-/-All-For-Metal-/-Alterium-/-Ancient-Bards-/-Atlas-Pain-/-Avantasia-/-Battlelore-/Beast-In-Black-/-Believer-/-Beyond-The-Black-/-Brothers-of-Metal-/-Catalyst-Crime-/-Civil-War-/-Circus-Maximus-/-Claymorean-/-Cobra-Spell-/-Dark-Moor-/-Dark-Sarah-/-Dartagnan-/-Diabulus-In-Musica-/-Edguy-/-Ex-Libris-/-Exit-Eden-/-Fellowship-/-Follow-The-Cipher-/-Frozen-Crown-/-Galderia-/-Hammer-King-/-Heavatar-/-Ignea-/-Imperial-Age-/-In-This-Moment-/-Jaldaboath-/-Kaledon-/-Labyrinth-/-Living-Sacrifice-/-Metalite-/-Moonlight-Haze-/-Neopera-/-Nestor-/-Nocturna-/-Orden-Ogan-/-Pathfinder-/-Phantom-Elite-/-Poisonblack-/-Power-Paladin-/-Powerwolf-/-The-Privateer-/-Rexoria-/-Running-Wild-/-She-Wolf-/-Silver-Bullet-/-Sleeping-Romance-/-Sojourner-/-Tarot-/-Ten-/-Thaurorod-/-The-Big-Deal-/-The-Dark-Element-/-Trick-or-Treat-/-Trillium-/-Unisonic-/-Valhalore-/-Vanishing-Point-/-Volturian-/-Walk-In-Darkness-/-Within-Temptation
  • Phoenix
    Lieutenant

Re: Favourite Concept Albums

by Phoenix » Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:08 pm

I have a lot of fun doing that with Sabaton's Carolus Rex. Tells the story King Charles' rise and fall. Every song is good. Really need to learn Swedish so I can watch the play the uses Carolus Rex and Lifetime of War as musical numbers... So much awesome in that.

Nightwish's Imaginaerum is another. So peaceful, so wonderful. A bit dark and twisted, but the emotional roller coaster you go on was enough to make me cry the first time I listened to it.

Also Scar Symmetry's Holographic Universe, though I couldn't tell you what that concept is. I always imagine that listening to Scar Symmetry is a little bit what being high is like...

Survivor:
    Out for 2023
  • Feanorgandalf
    Chief Petty Officer

by Feanorgandalf » Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:30 pm

Ayreon - The Human Equation. Powerful album about the emotions behind a life altering event

Ayreon - Into the Electric Castle. Another amazing album about people from different era's being brought together to a place of "no time and no space" to journey into the electric castle and discover what's inside

Demons and Wizards - Touched by the Crimson King. Based on the Dark Tower series of books by Stephen King

King Diamond - Abigail. King Diamond concept album. not much else to add

Kamelot - Epica and The Black Halo - Based on the story of Faust across 2 albums (i'm a sucker for the weenie metalz)

Avantasia - The Metal Opera

Eluveitie - Helvetios (i'm also a sucker for the folk metalz)
    manamachine
    Crewman

by manamachine » Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:24 am

Feanorgandalf wrote:Demons and Wizards - Touched by the Crimson King. Based on the Dark Tower series of books by Stephen King

I came to say this. Fellow constant reader?

But pretty much any Blind Guardian / Avantasia / Edguy album for me. And yes to Imaginaerum!

How do you guys feel about the new BG album (Behind the Red Mirror)? I'm really liking it, but on a whole other level that feels kind of far removed from metal for me. I feel more like I'm listening to a symphony.
    Wishlist:
    All the power/symphonic/thrash.
  • Feanorgandalf
    Chief Petty Officer

by Feanorgandalf » Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:23 am

manamachine wrote:
    Feanorgandalf wrote:Demons and Wizards - Touched by the Crimson King. Based on the Dark Tower series of books by Stephen King

But pretty much any Blind Guardian / Avantasia / Edguy album for me. And yes to Imaginaerum!

How do you guys feel about the new BG album (Behind the Red Mirror)? I'm really liking it, but on a whole other level that feels kind of far removed from metal for me. I feel more like I'm listening to a symphony.

It's on my list of books to read. I was gonna do those after is finished the wheel of time but the mistborn series caught me and dark tower got bumped.

The new BG was different than I expected but overall I really like it
    rootleaf
    Petty Officer

by rootleaf » Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:49 pm

Edge of Sanity - Crimson
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:01 pm

Still waiting for my Blind Guardian Earbook to arrive from EMP Germany.

Hopefully it will arrive early next week :)
    Upcoming Gigs:
    -/-Halestorm?-/-Fleshgod-Apocalypse-/-Scar-Symmetry-/-Wind-Rose-/-Unleash-The-Archers
    2025 Wishlist
    Ad-Infinitum-/-Aephanemer-/-All-For-Metal-/-Alterium-/-Ancient-Bards-/-Atlas-Pain-/-Avantasia-/-Battlelore-/Beast-In-Black-/-Believer-/-Beyond-The-Black-/-Brothers-of-Metal-/-Catalyst-Crime-/-Civil-War-/-Circus-Maximus-/-Claymorean-/-Cobra-Spell-/-Dark-Moor-/-Dark-Sarah-/-Dartagnan-/-Diabulus-In-Musica-/-Edguy-/-Ex-Libris-/-Exit-Eden-/-Fellowship-/-Follow-The-Cipher-/-Frozen-Crown-/-Galderia-/-Hammer-King-/-Heavatar-/-Ignea-/-Imperial-Age-/-In-This-Moment-/-Jaldaboath-/-Kaledon-/-Labyrinth-/-Living-Sacrifice-/-Metalite-/-Moonlight-Haze-/-Neopera-/-Nestor-/-Nocturna-/-Orden-Ogan-/-Pathfinder-/-Phantom-Elite-/-Poisonblack-/-Power-Paladin-/-Powerwolf-/-The-Privateer-/-Rexoria-/-Running-Wild-/-She-Wolf-/-Silver-Bullet-/-Sleeping-Romance-/-Sojourner-/-Tarot-/-Ten-/-Thaurorod-/-The-Big-Deal-/-The-Dark-Element-/-Trick-or-Treat-/-Trillium-/-Unisonic-/-Valhalore-/-Vanishing-Point-/-Volturian-/-Walk-In-Darkness-/-Within-Temptation
    Tono_Fyr
    Crewman

by Tono_Fyr » Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:49 pm

manamachine wrote:

Splitting hairs here, but only a few songs from TBTCK are based on The Dark Tower. Specifically, Crimson King (which is funny, because it actually seems to be about Flagg more than the big man himself), Terror Train (Blaine certainly is a pain), and The Gunslinger.

I listened to some of Red Mirror on the boat, but I couldn't quite sit there the whole time. On top of feeling antsy, I couldn't concentrate on the music as well as I wanted in that environment. Listening to it alone in my room, I think I like it more than At The Edge of Time. It's more cohesive, and it feels so much bigger. Where it stands on the larger list, I'm not certain yet. It's definitely still quite metal, though.

On topic, any of Ayreon's albums, those five most recent Amorphis albums, Nightfall in Middle Earth, Dream Theater's Scenes From A Memory, Queensryche's Operation: Mindcrime, Gloryhammer's Tales From The Kingdom of Fife, Pain of Salvation's Be, Porcupine Tree's Deadwing, Tyr's Ragnarok, Ziltoid The Omniscient, I could really keep going for a while because I happen to love concept albums, so I'm just going to stop.
    Wishlist:
    --Æther_Realm--Alarum--Amon_Amarth--Arcturus--Arjen_Luccassen--Atheist--Battlecross--Blind_Guardian--Borknagar--Candlemass--Cynic--Devin_Townsend--DOLL$BOXX--Dread_Crew_of_Oddwood--Dysrhythmia--Ensiferum--Freak_Kitchen--Gamma_Ray--Glittertind--Goatwhore--Gojira--Gordian_Knot--Green_Carnation--Holy_Grail--Ihsahn--Katatonia--Leprous--Machinae_Supremacy--Ne_Obliviscaris--Nightingale--Nile--Opeth--Pain_Of_Salvation--Raintime--Riverside--Sigh--Skeletonwitch--Steel_Panther--Symphony_X--Tengger_Cavalry--Thank_You_Scientist--Three--Turisas--Tyr--Unleash_The_Archers--Winds--Wintersun--Words_of_Farewell--Zimmer's_Hole--

2015: Survivor
    2016: Survivor
    2017: Survivor
    2018: Survivor
    2019: Survivor
    2020: Survivor
    2023: Survivor
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:24 pm

Aaaah how could I forget Gloryhammer :D

Cannot wait for their next opus!
    Upcoming Gigs:
    2025 Wishlist
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:30 pm

Haken - Visions

the lyrics are absolutely brilliant, like everything else in that album.
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band
    www.facebook.com/Apprenticemetal

I run a festival
    https://www.facebook.com/events/2854966994515383
    ewest305
    Oiler

by ewest305 » Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:40 pm

Cool thread.
    Always been a fan of Fear Factory. Their Obsolete album is definitely the best concept IMHO. To this day, I can't get enough of Resurrection. Just an awesome tune. :viking:
    2017: Cabin #8660
    2015: Cabin #6314
    2014: Cabin #2534
  • biertroll
    Midshipman

by biertroll » Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:03 am

If I'm correct in what I think you're asking for, my vote goes to Iron Maiden - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son. I loved what I've read from the book series too. Kind of annoyed the movie that's out of the same name doesn't have any relation as far as I can tell.
    70000tons 2020 Wishlist: EYEHATEGOD, Carpathian Forest, Demons & Wizards, SSS, Magrudergrind, Asphyx

Deck ? 2020
    Survived 70K 12,14,15,16, 17. PsychoCA 15. PsychoLV 16, 17, 18. MDF 13,14,15. QDF 18.
    Pellaz
    Lieutenant

by Pellaz » Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:54 am

ewest305 wrote:Cool thread.
    Always been a fan of Fear Factory. Their Obsolete album is definitely the best concept IMHO. To this day, I can't get enough of Resurrection. Just an awesome tune. :viking:

I think that's one of my Top 10 favorite songs of all time, from an album that's in my Top 5.

I'll add to all the concept awesomeness already mentioned (QR, DT, Edge of Sanity, etc.) with...

Green Carnation, Light of Day, Day of Darkness :headbanger:
    2025 Wishlist:
    1349--Abbath--Abigail.Williams--Aephanemer--Agalloch--Agathodaimon--Alien.Weaponry--Allegaeon--Amon.Amarth--Amorphis--Animals.As.Leaders--Arkona--Arsis--Atrocity--Ayreon--Bal.Sagoth--Baroness--Barren.Earth--Battlelore--Behemoth--Below.7--Belzebubs--Be'lakor--Black.Crown.Initiate--Bloodbath--Borknagar--Broken.Trinity--Cannibal.Corpse--Chthe'ilist--CoF--Countless.Skies--Cynic--Demons.&.Wizards--Dimmu.Borgir--Dark.Tranquillity--Dragonforce--Edge.of.Sanity--Witherscape--anything.Dan.Swano--Eluveitie--Eneferens--Ensiferum--Enslaved--Eternal.Tears.of.Sorrow--Evergrey--Exmortus--Ex.Deo--Fear.Factory--Fires.In.the.Distance--Gojira--Graveworm--Green.Carnation--Hypocrisy--Immortal--Insomnium--Irreversible.Mechanism--Kalmah--Kamelot--Keep.Of.Kalessin--Korpiklaani--Kreator--Leprous--Luciferan.Light.Orchestra--Loss--Melechesh--Meshuggah--Mezarkabul--Moonspell--Mors.Principium.Est--Myrath--Ne.Obliviscaris--Nile--Nokturnal.Mortem--NorthTale--Novembers.Doom--Obscura--Old.Mans.Child--Opeth--Paladin--Poisonblack--Powerwolf--Primordial--Rapheumet's.Well--Raven--Rivers.Of.Nihil--Ryujin--Sabaton--Sadistic.Ritual--Samael--Satyricon--Savatage--Scale.the.Summit--Scorched.Moon--Septic.Flesh--Serious.Black--Seven.Spires--Sigh--Skalmold--Slough.Feg--Starkill--Steorrah--SYL--Suidakra--Summoning--Tarot--Therion--Thy.Serpent--Tomarum--Tomb.Mold--Turisas--Twilight.Force--Tyr--Vale.Of.Pnath--Valhalore--Vesania--Vintersorg--Wolfchant--Yyrkoon
    2015-2020; 2023-2024: Survivor
    2025: most likely
  • Monmisreal
    Lieutenant

by Monmisreal » Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:16 am

Couple have already been mentioned, Ayreon, Edge if Sanity, and Green Carnation.

Opeth- Still Life
    Evergrey- In Search of Truth
  • thrsher
    Oiler

by thrsher » Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:12 pm

Iced Earth - Burnt Offerings/Dark Saga
  • STACH100
    Sub-Lieutenant

by STACH100 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:04 am

I think it is a much better concept to make a good sounding album rather that have the music suffer to tell a story.
    2011 6084
    2012 9560
    2013 9574
    2014 TBA
    Ecliptica
    Ensign

by Ecliptica » Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:14 pm

All my favorite albums are concept albums. I made a post on another site a few years back about this with reasons why, explaining the story, etc., but lists are more fun and quicker:

1. Orphaned Land - Mabool (The Story of the Three Sons of Seven). I still think this is my all-time favorite album.

2. Eluveitie - Helvetios

3. Ayreon - The Human Equation

Others that haven't been mentioned:
    Everything Ayreon. Everything. Arjen Lucassen can do no wrong.
    Everything Avantasia.
    Turisas - The Varangian Way
    Angra - Temple of Shadows
    Pyramaze - Legend of the Bone Carver
    Pellaz
    Lieutenant

by Pellaz » Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:02 am

Ecliptica wrote:All my favorite albums are concept albums. I made a post on another site a few years back about this with reasons why, explaining the story, etc., but lists are more fun and quicker:

1. Orphaned Land - Mabool (The Story of the Three Sons of Seven). I still think this is my all-time favorite album.

What a splendid album it is, too! When they performed most of it at ProgPower USA many years ago, they tied with Therion for the best performance (for me) at PPUSA that year. Maybe they could perform the album in its entirety on 70K next year? :headbanger:
    2025 Wishlist:
    1349--Abbath--Abigail.Williams--Aephanemer--Agalloch--Agathodaimon--Alien.Weaponry--Allegaeon--Amon.Amarth--Amorphis--Animals.As.Leaders--Arkona--Arsis--Atrocity--Ayreon--Bal.Sagoth--Baroness--Barren.Earth--Battlelore--Behemoth--Below.7--Belzebubs--Be'lakor--Black.Crown.Initiate--Bloodbath--Borknagar--Broken.Trinity--Cannibal.Corpse--Chthe'ilist--CoF--Countless.Skies--Cynic--Demons.&.Wizards--Dimmu.Borgir--Dark.Tranquillity--Dragonforce--Edge.of.Sanity--Witherscape--anything.Dan.Swano--Eluveitie--Eneferens--Ensiferum--Enslaved--Eternal.Tears.of.Sorrow--Evergrey--Exmortus--Ex.Deo--Fear.Factory--Fires.In.the.Distance--Gojira--Graveworm--Green.Carnation--Hypocrisy--Immortal--Insomnium--Irreversible.Mechanism--Kalmah--Kamelot--Keep.Of.Kalessin--Korpiklaani--Kreator--Leprous--Luciferan.Light.Orchestra--Loss--Melechesh--Meshuggah--Mezarkabul--Moonspell--Mors.Principium.Est--Myrath--Ne.Obliviscaris--Nile--Nokturnal.Mortem--NorthTale--Novembers.Doom--Obscura--Old.Mans.Child--Opeth--Paladin--Poisonblack--Powerwolf--Primordial--Rapheumet's.Well--Raven--Rivers.Of.Nihil--Ryujin--Sabaton--Sadistic.Ritual--Samael--Satyricon--Savatage--Scale.the.Summit--Scorched.Moon--Septic.Flesh--Serious.Black--Seven.Spires--Sigh--Skalmold--Slough.Feg--Starkill--Steorrah--SYL--Suidakra--Summoning--Tarot--Therion--Thy.Serpent--Tomarum--Tomb.Mold--Turisas--Twilight.Force--Tyr--Vale.Of.Pnath--Valhalore--Vesania--Vintersorg--Wolfchant--Yyrkoon
    Kingslayer
    Chief Petty Officer

by Kingslayer » Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:30 pm

Gloryhammer - Tales from the Kingdom of Fife

I'm an absolute sucker for just about anything fantasy, and TfTKoF is in my eyes a fun, unapologetic piece of satire!! Cannot wait for Album 2!
    2016: 9231
    2017: 6521
    2018: Don't even remember

Wishlist: Candlemass, Devin Townsend Project, Doomsword, Dzo-nga, Ex Deo, Gloryhammer, Grand Magus, Hypocrisy, King Diamond, Nile, Powerwolf, Primordial, Running Wild, Steel Panther
    jodionline
    Ensign

by jodionline » Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:49 pm

My favourites are:

Iron Maiden - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son
    WASP- The Crimson Idol
    Metal is forever! Peace for all - Fuck fanatics.

Please bring Undertow on board.
    https://open.spotify.com/album/5G5rYHx6E4MxdYHE3TG8Xn

Survivor: 2013, 2014, 2016
  • deathmetalpat
    Ensign

by deathmetalpat » Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:26 pm

Bathory "Blood on Ice" ,Robert E. Howard's Conan influenced this and when the Lovecraft circle meets Swedish Metal Allfather , perfection!
    2012-14 Survivor
    2015-16 Abandoned Ship
    2017 Returned
    2018 Got a bad feeling about this Abandon Ship
    2019 This is Fucking Ridiculous
    2020 Bands ,what bands boat is all that matters
    2021 Yeah this isn’t happening
    bodomdragon
    Sub-Lieutenant

by bodomdragon » Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:51 am

Seventh Wonder - Mercy Falls. Every Power or Progressive Metal/Rock fan should listen to this masterpiece carefully. Maybe reading some reviews can help.
    Wishlist:
    Ad.Infinitum--Aephanemer--Alestorm--Anthriel--AVANTASIA--Axxis--
    Battle.Beast--Beast.in.Black--Belzebubs--Be'lakor--BEYOND.THE.BLACK--Borealis--BORKNAGAR--Brymir--Caligula's.Horse--CHAOSBAY--Countless.Skies--Crowne--Dimmu.Borgir--DGM--Distorted.Harmony--DragonForce--Dream.Theater--Eclipse.(Sweden)--ELECTRIC.CALLBOY--Ensiferum--Evergrey--FEUERSCHWANZ--Fractal.Gates--Freedom.Call--GAMMA.RAY--Haken--Hei'an--Helloween--In.Mourning--INSOMNIUM--Kamelot--Keep.Of.Kalessin--KISSIN'.DYNAMITE--MERCENARY--Moonsorrow--Ne.Obliviscaris--Orden.Ogan--Pretty.Maids--Powerglove--PYRAMAZE--SABATON--SEVENTH.WONDER--Shade.Empire--Skeletoon--SOEN--Subterranean.Masquerade--SYMPHONY.X--Tremonti--Trollfest--Unleash.The.Archers--VISIONS.OF.ATLANTIS--VOLA--Volbeat--VOYAGER--WIDEK--Wilderun--Wintersun

2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2023, 2024: Survivor

Unofficial 70K User Guide: https://70kguide.wordpress.com
    Tono_Fyr
    Crewman

by Tono_Fyr » Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:33 am

Ecliptica wrote:Turisas - The Varangian Way

Can't believe I forgot these! Both are fantastic!

STACH100 wrote:I think it is a much better concept to make a good sounding album rather that have the music suffer to tell a story.

Alright, I'll bite. I think that telling a story can be a great way to bring cohesion to an album, and make it stronger as a whole piece of art, rather than a bunch of disjointed, unrelated parts. It is more likely to be greater than the sum of its parts because of this cohesion.

That's not to say that there aren't concept albums that fall on their asses because someone's trying TOO hard at it, but to imply that music will suffer when you also try to tell a story ignores the work of centuries of composers.
    Wishlist:
    --Æther_Realm--Alarum--Amon_Amarth--Arcturus--Arjen_Luccassen--Atheist--Battlecross--Blind_Guardian--Borknagar--Candlemass--Cynic--Devin_Townsend--DOLL$BOXX--Dread_Crew_of_Oddwood--Dysrhythmia--Ensiferum--Freak_Kitchen--Gamma_Ray--Glittertind--Goatwhore--Gojira--Gordian_Knot--Green_Carnation--Holy_Grail--Ihsahn--Katatonia--Leprous--Machinae_Supremacy--Ne_Obliviscaris--Nightingale--Nile--Opeth--Pain_Of_Salvation--Raintime--Riverside--Sigh--Skeletonwitch--Steel_Panther--Symphony_X--Tengger_Cavalry--Thank_You_Scientist--Three--Turisas--Tyr--Unleash_The_Archers--Winds--Wintersun--Words_of_Farewell--Zimmer's_Hole--

2015: Survivor
    2016: Survivor
    2017: Survivor
    2018: Survivor
    2019: Survivor
    2020: Survivor
    2023: Survivor
  • big perken
    Crewman

by big perken » Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:20 am

The Ocean - Pelagial
  • theyarepray
    Wiper

by theyarepray » Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:02 am

Kingslayer wrote:Gloryhammer - Tales from the Kingdom of Fife

I'm an absolute sucker for just about anything fantasy, and TfTKoF is in my eyes a fun, unapologetic piece of satire!! Cannot wait for Album 2!

I honestly believe this album was the best power metal release of 2013.

Gloryhammer - Tales from the Kingdom of Fife ...... DOWNLOAD
    Last edited by theyarepray on Sun Dec 13, 2015 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
  • Mr. HCI
    Crewman

by Mr. HCI » Sat Nov 14, 2015 1:07 pm

Fates Warning - A Pleasant Shade of Gray
  • SaraMarie
    Chief Petty Officer

by SaraMarie » Sun Nov 15, 2015 5:35 am

Although the original Ziltoid album will always be at the top of that list for me, I'm also really digging the new Clutch album, "Psychic Warfare." It's just a really fun album.
    Top Picks: Allegaeon, Angelus Apatrida, Arkona, At the Gates, Chthonic, Devin Townsend, Down, Eluveitie, Enabler, Ex Mortus, Exodus, Eyehategod, Finntroll, Havok, Hypocrisy, Iced Earth, Ihsahn, Kreator, Nervosa, Nylithia, Rotting Christ, Sabaton, Sodom
    Sidvarg
    Petty Officer

by Sidvarg » Sun Nov 15, 2015 3:07 pm

My top albums would be:

Dream Theater - Six degrees of inner turbulence
    Angra - Aqua (not surprising since Angra is my favorite band)
    2016 cabin 8225
    2017 cabin 7535

Wish list:
    Angra, Amaranthe, Circus Maximus, Kamelot, Myrath, Tesseract, Symphony X, Freedom Call, Sonata Arctica, Avantasia, Orphaned Land, Haggard, Dynazty, Haken, Devin Townsend Project
    metalmaciejmetal
    Chief Petty Officer

by metalmaciejmetal » Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:54 pm

Ecliptica wrote:All my favorite albums are concept albums. I made a post on another site a few years back about this with reasons why, explaining the story, etc., but lists are more fun and quicker:

I must agree with you there. I love that one. Lets see what else?

Avantasia - Metal Opera 1 and 2
    Gwar - Beyond Hell
    King Diamond - Them
    Survivor 2016 and 2017
    BlackToothGrin
    Crewman

by BlackToothGrin » Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:45 pm

Feanorgandalf wrote: Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:30 pm Ayreon - The Human Equation. Powerful album about the emotions behind a life altering event
    That's a great pick!
  • metalforever
    Chief Petty Officer

by metalforever » Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:44 pm

green carnation with light of day, day of darkness
    Chyna Pearl
    Oiler

by Chyna Pearl » Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:39 am

I love King Diamond's album "Them"--is a great concept album to me..8-]] :shred:
    --ain't skeerd-- :shred:
    WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:15 pm

I am absolutely shocked that i'm the first to post Operation: Mindcrime by Queensryche. Best concept album ever. :shred:
    2011, Barge to Hell, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2020 SOOOOON
    WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:18 pm

I am absolutely shocked that i'm the first to post Operation: Mindcrime by Queensryche. Best concept album ever. :shred:
    2011, Barge to Hell, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2020 SOOOOON
    Pellaz
    Lieutenant

by Pellaz » Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:12 pm

WizardBeast wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:15 pm I am absolutely shocked that i'm the first to post Operation: Mindcrime by Queensryche. Best concept album ever. :shred:
    I'm shocked that you didn't notice it has been mentioned in this thread at least twice...including in the very first post.
    It was the album that got me into "good" metal, though, so I sure can't argue. :D

----

I had the privilege to see one of my all-time fave concept albums, Into the Electric Castle, performed live with all the original vocalists (even including Fish from Marillion), in Tilburg NL six weeks ago. John de Lancie, "Q" from Star Trek, even rewrote and performed the album narration for the live setting...in verse. The show -- and more importantly, the flight -- cost a fortune, but it was worth every penny. I'm still in awe. :beerbang:
    2025 Wishlist:
Post Reply 35 posts Page 1 of 1