Post Reply 880 posts
What book are you reading at the moment ?
    captaingabbeh
    Chief Petty Officer

Re: What book are you reading at the moment ?

by captaingabbeh » Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:59 am

Kingslayer wrote:I've finally started A Dance with Dragons. Apart from the Daenerys chapters, I can't put it down

Hey memeslayer, guess what I just finished?

I actually liked the Daenerys chapters, although I spend decent chunks of them going "Oh honey, no". The Reek chapters, though? Uggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhh. Those were awful.

2015-2018,
    Goth Cruise 2019

Wishlist: Myrath-Skindred-Rotting Christ-Amorphis-Hypocrisy-Demons & Wizards-3TEETH-Emperor-Psyclon Nine-Ihsahn-Batushka-Anaal Nathrakh-Epica-Aeternam-Nightwish-Starkill-Primordial-Zeal & Ardor-Powerwolf
    EpidemicReign
    Petty Officer

by EpidemicReign » Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:26 pm

Currently bouncing back and forth between Stephen King's "It" and The Complete Stories and Poems of Edgar Allan Poe.
    2018 Booked
    2017 Survivor
    2015 Survivor
    Gutterchild7
    Oiler

by Gutterchild7 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:03 am

THIS *-* I always wanted the printed edition but it's impossible to get it where I live (guess when I head to usa I'll try to find it T_T)

Also, reading Poe's short stories from time to time as I always did.
    ARGENTINA
    [[ † 2017 † ]] .: 7674 :.

"May the touch of your hand forever be my therapy~~"
    DrinkMoxie
    Commander

by DrinkMoxie » Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:07 am

ACanorousQuintet-AblazeMySorrow-Acrassicauda-Aephanemer-Agalloch-Alligator-Amsvartner-Anacrusis-Anata-...AndOceans-AngelusApatrida-ArmoredSaint-Atoma-Bal*Sagoth-Bethzaida-BlackEarth-BlackKirin-BoltThrower-Borknagar-BurdenOfGrief-BuriedDreams-CallenishCircle-Candiria-CarBomb-Carcariass-CardinalSin-CarnalForge-CeremonialOath-Cloak-ComposMentis-ConditionCritical-Conjurer-CrestOfDarkness-Crisis-Crisix-Crowpath-Cryptosis-Cyclone-Dagon-Damaged-DarkAngel-Darkane-DaylightDies-Deadguy-Deep-DemolitionHammer-DescendIntoNothingness-DestroyJudas-Devastation-Devil'sForce-DewScented-DimensionF3H-DimensionZero-Dispatched-Downpour-Dyscarnate-EbonyTears-EdgeOfSanity-End-EndOfGreen-EphelDuath-EpochOfUnlight-EternalLies-EternalTearsOfSorrow-Eucharist-Euphoreon-Excretion-Exhorder-EyesOfFire-FiresInTheDistance-Firewind-Flying-Folkearth-FragmentsOfUnbecoming-FrostyEve-Gardenian-GatesOfIshtar-Gnostic-GodForbid-Gojira-GospelOfTheWitches-Graveripper-GreenCarnation-GreySkiesFallen-Greywalker-Grimfist-Hacride-Hinayana-Host-Hypocrisy-Illogicist-Impious-In~Quest-InThousandLakes-InThyDreams-InsanityAlert-Itself-Jaldaboath-JulieLaughsNomore-Kull-LakeOfTears-LegionOfTheDamned-LightThisCity-LordHumungous-Majesties-ManipulatedSlaves-MeadowsEnd-MentalHome-Mindrot-Minsk-Miscreant-MMXX-MorbidSaint-Morgion-MortalVision-MotherOfAll-MyHiddenSin-Myrath-NailWithin-NeglectedFields-Neurosis-NightInGales-Nightfall-Norther-Nostromo-Nothgard-Nothnegal-November17-Nyktophobia-Onslaught-Oubliette-Powerwolf-PreHumanVaults-ReArmed-RedHarvest-RitualSacrifice-RiverBlack-Sacrifice-Sadus-SamBlackChurch-Scarve-Seducer'sEmbrace-SevendayCurse-Shadow-ShadowsFall-Shangren-ShoresOfIthaka-Sigh-Sikasa-Silva-SinsOfOmission-SkidRow(w/SebastianBach)-Skyfire-Slumber-Solefald-SolemnVision-Solstice-SpiralArchitect-StarViper-SubterraneanMasquerade-SuicidalTendencies-TerraOdium-Terror2000-Testament-TheAbsence-TheCircle-TheCrown-TheForsaken-TheExcrementoryGrindfuckers-TheZephyr-ThisEnding-Tribulation-UnleashTheArchers-UponStone-ViciousBlade-Vinterland-Vintersorg-Warmen-Whispered-Whitesnake-WhiteZombie-WitheredBeauty-WitheringSurface-Witherscape-WithoutGrief-Wraith-XCops-Xentrix-Zimmer'sHole

cabin 3013 (2012)
    cabin 9560 (2014)
    cabin 8671 (2015)
    cabin 7313 (2017)
    cabin 6525 (2018)
    cabin 2376 (2024)
    PacNW
    Crewman

by PacNW » Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:18 am

Reading Book of the New Sun for the second time, Gene Wolfe. There are those who say you get a lot more out of the book as you read it again; I'm finding this report extremely true
    2012, 2017 - 6223, 2018 - 6387
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:08 pm

Gutterchild7 wrote:THIS *-* I always wanted the printed edition but it's impossible to get it where I live (guess when I head to usa I'll try to find it T_T)

Also, reading Poe's short stories from time to time as I always did.

I have it sitting on my bookshelf. Looking at it right now. :D I had to special order it at the bookstore, but that was years ago. I'm currently going through the old 1994 Chinese TV show on youtube. I started the show a long time ago and never finished so I had to start over.

Right now I am reading The Myst Reader. I'm just a little bit into The Book of Ti'ana.

I should get around to updating my signature
    Yippee38
    Petty Officer

by Yippee38 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:54 pm

I'm currently reading (actually, listening to it on Audible) "The Fell Sword" by Miles Cameron. It's the second book in the series. The first was "The Red Knight". Both books are really good military fantasy with a focus on knights and chivalry.
    TPH
    Chief Petty Officer

by TPH » Sun Dec 18, 2016 6:12 pm

Devin Townsend - Only Half There

The guy is definitely...unique. Really interesting to read.
    Wacken 2003
    Fury Fest 2004-2005, Hellfest 2006 to 2023
    70K 2017 - cabin 2250
    70K 2018 - cabin 8215
    70K 2019 - cabin 10xxx (can't fucking remember)
    BlackToothGrin
    Crewman

by BlackToothGrin » Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:07 pm

Speedy wrote:Image

Just started this series myself! About halfway through Gardens of the Moon.
    MettalMiranda
    Oiler

by MettalMiranda » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:52 am

I am reading a collection of lovecraft and also some older japanese poetry .

Demolition hammer - Onslaught - BullRiff Stampede - Kryptos -Seprevation -Gojira - Black Kirin - Ego Falls - Testament - Savage Messiah - Anthrax - Krysthla - Beholder - Demonic Resurrection - Reptilian Death - Bhyanak Maut- BurgerKill
    captaingabbeh
    Chief Petty Officer

by captaingabbeh » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:54 am

I'm slowly working my way through Medium Raw by Anthony Bourdain. I guess it's kind of his autobiography, except more split into topics. If you like his shows at all, though, you'd probably like this - you can practically hear him narrating the book, and dude has stories.

Also, I really want to start The Wise Man's Fear, but probably won't get to it until I get on the plane for the boat.

2015-2018,
    Goth Cruise 2019

Wishlist: Myrath-Skindred-Rotting Christ-Amorphis-Hypocrisy-Demons & Wizards-3TEETH-Emperor-Psyclon Nine-Ihsahn-Batushka-Anaal Nathrakh-Epica-Aeternam-Nightwish-Starkill-Primordial-Zeal & Ardor-Powerwolf
    MettalMiranda
    Oiler

by MettalMiranda » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:19 am

captaingabbeh wrote:I'm slowly working my way through Medium Raw by Anthony Bourdain. I guess it's kind of his autobiography, except more split into topics. If you like his shows at all, though, you'd probably like this - you can practically hear him narrating the book, and dude has stories.

Also, I really want to start The Wise Man's Fear, but probably won't get to it until I get on the plane for the boat.

I really love his shows !

Demolition hammer - Onslaught - BullRiff Stampede - Kryptos -Seprevation -Gojira - Black Kirin - Ego Falls - Testament - Savage Messiah - Anthrax - Krysthla - Beholder - Demonic Resurrection - Reptilian Death - Bhyanak Maut- BurgerKill
    captaingabbeh
    Chief Petty Officer

by captaingabbeh » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:48 pm

MettalMiranda wrote:
    captaingabbeh wrote:I'm slowly working my way through Medium Raw by Anthony Bourdain. I guess it's kind of his autobiography, except more split into topics. If you like his shows at all, though, you'd probably like this - you can practically hear him narrating the book, and dude has stories.

I really love his shows !

Same here! Parts Unknown is particularly good, IMO. The cinematography and production is killer.

2015-2018,
    Goth Cruise 2019

MettalMiranda
    Oiler

by MettalMiranda » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:38 am

I am reading some of the best of lovecraft and also some forgotten realms stuff . Books of my youth just make me super happy

Evican
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Evican » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:38 pm

"Buffering: Unshared Tales of a Life Fully Loaded" - Hannah Hart
    "The Art Of Asking" - Amanda Palmer
    70K 2011 | 2012 | 2017 | 2018 | 2020
    2020 WISHLIST: Sulphur Aeon-Cripper-Carach Angren-Melechesh-Behemoth-Benighted-Epica-Negura Bunget-Disarmonia Mundi-Ex Deo-Into Eternity-Septicflesh-Nightrage-Emperor-Incantation-Necrophagist-Kalisia-Virgin Black
    EpidemicReign
    Petty Officer

by EpidemicReign » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:06 pm

On a quest for The Dark Tower... just started book 6.
    2018 Booked
    2017 Survivor
    2015 Survivor
    Starling
    Oiler

by Starling » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:12 am

Not exactly the most dynamic thread on the forum here! But I'm a big book nerd, and I've been thinking about a metal reading list. Not books about metal (those are fairly easy to find), but books that, perhaps, have influenced songs, bands, lyrics, etc. I'm about to read through this whole thread and see what else I find (and yes, writing down a bunch of the books about metal too!), but what comes up when you think of that? Which bands/musicians/songs were influenced by what books, basically. (I'm also always interested in books recommended by the musicians. For example, just wrote down some recommended by Alex Skolnick on his old blog.)

My list is really short so far, but I've got Johnny Got His Gun - Dalton Trumbo, Rime of the Ancient Mariner - Coleridge, Norse Mythology - Neil Gaiman (probably lots of other mythology too), For Whom the Bell Tolls - Hemingway, H.P. Lovecraft....What others can you think of? I could probably come up with several more, but I thought I'd crowd-source it and see what you guys can tell me! :ugeek:
    2017 Survivor (Cabin 7211)
    2018 Survivor (Cabin 8359)
    2019 Booked (Cabin 9689)
  • PearlBlack
    Oiler

by PearlBlack » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:14 pm

Erasmus "Morias enkomion seu laus stultitiae"
    Jaimie38
    Lieutenant

by Jaimie38 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:40 pm

Car and Driver.

:cheers:
    9 Time Vet.
    Wishlist-West of Hell,Hibria,Powerwolf,WASP,DioDisciples,Loudness,
    DangerousToys,Triumph,UDO,SkullFIST,Kobra&theLotus,
    TheOrderofChaos,Diemonds,Riot City, WMD,Demons & Wizards,Liv Sin,Suicidal Angels,Dee Snider
    praey
    Oiler

by praey » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:23 pm

The Last Season. Just started, it's a nonfiction book about a park ranger who goes missing in the Sierra Nevada mountains. Haven't had much time to read in a while and for me there's no better way to plunge back in than a biography with elements of mystery and some musings on nature.
    Survivor 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020
    jknechtel
    Oiler

by jknechtel » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:23 pm

Part way through Homage to Catalonia.
    Here's to all the kisses I've snatched and visa versa!
  • Disco
    Midshipman

by Disco » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:10 pm

Currently reading Rainbow Six.

I'm about halfway through.
    Melloboat - 2008
    70k Tons - 2011
    70k Tons - 2013
    70k Tons - 2018
    Yippee38
    Petty Officer

by Yippee38 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:55 pm

I'm not reading, but listening to "Kings of the Wyld" by Nicholas Eames. It's really fun. They talk about mercenary "bands" whose jobs are referred to as "gigs" and the people who find the gigs for them are called "bookers". There's tons of references, subtle and overt, about music.
  • Pickett
    Wiper

by Pickett » Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:36 am

Yippee38 wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:55 pm I'm seeing great progress with Leanbean and not reading, but listening to "Kings of the Wyld" by Nicholas Eames. It's really fun. They talk about mercenary "bands" whose jobs are referred to as "gigs" and the people who find the gigs for them are called "bookers". There's tons of references, subtle and overt, about music.
    I'm just about to finish the final book of the Mistborn thrilogy by Brandon Sanderson. Couldn't recommend it more to people who like fantasy.
    Last edited by Pickett on Mon May 23, 2022 2:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
  • metalforever
    Chief Petty Officer

by metalforever » Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:08 pm

Nikki Sixx Heroin Diaries :cool:
    Jaimie38
    Lieutenant

by Jaimie38 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:40 am

Bruce Dickinson's "What does this Button Do?"
    and Mike Myers' "Canada"
    Both great reads.
    9 Time Vet.
    Wishlist-West of Hell,Hibria,Powerwolf,WASP,DioDisciples,Loudness,
    DangerousToys,Triumph,UDO,SkullFIST,Kobra&theLotus,
    TheOrderofChaos,Diemonds,Riot City, WMD,Demons & Wizards,Liv Sin,Suicidal Angels,Dee Snider
  • metalforever
    Chief Petty Officer

by metalforever » Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:38 am

louder than hell
    cegr80
    Lieutenant

by cegr80 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:12 am

H.P. Lovecraft - Tales Of Horror. Starting with the classic "The Call Of Cthulhu"
    2017.2018.2019.2020.2023.2024.GOLD.Survivor|2025 Wishlist:1349-1914-Aephanemer-Akercoke-Alcest-Alkaloid-AnaalNathrakh-AnAbstractIllusion-Atvm-Avatar-Avslut-Be'lakor-Belzebubs-ChapelOfDisease-Chthonic-Darkthrone-DiabloSwingOrchestra-Dimmu Borgir-Dodheimsgard-Draconian-EternalTearsOfSorrow-FreakKitchen-Hamferd-IATT-LochVostok-Marduk-NocnyKochanek-Satyricon-Schammasch-Scour-Shining(Nor)-Sigh-SulphurAeon-Turisas-Ulver-Virvum-Watain-WhiteWard
    AstridDragon
    Petty Officer

by AstridDragon » Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:28 am

A New Spring - Prequel to the Wheel of Time series, by Robert Jordan.
    cegr80
    Lieutenant

by cegr80 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:06 pm

"Tesla - The Wizard of Electricity" by David J. Kent
    2017.2018.2019.2020.2023.2024.GOLD.Survivor|2025 Wishlist:1349-1914-Aephanemer-Akercoke-Alcest-Alkaloid-AnaalNathrakh-AnAbstractIllusion-Atvm-Avatar-Avslut-Be'lakor-Belzebubs-ChapelOfDisease-Chthonic-Darkthrone-DiabloSwingOrchestra-Dimmu Borgir-Dodheimsgard-Draconian-EternalTearsOfSorrow-FreakKitchen-Hamferd-IATT-LochVostok-Marduk-NocnyKochanek-Satyricon-Schammasch-Scour-Shining(Nor)-Sigh-SulphurAeon-Turisas-Ulver-Virvum-Watain-WhiteWard
    Bill098
    Wiper

by Bill098 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:43 am

Gregory Funaro - The Sculptor
    I highly recommend this book if you're into FBI detectives!
    Tiki108
    Petty Officer

by Tiki108 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:28 am

House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski
    It's a tough read, but I love it so far!
    70K: 2014, 2020
    MDF: 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017
    Summer Breeze: 2014, 2015
    Party.San: 2015
    ProgPower: 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2022, 2023
    Trveheim: 2018

2024_Wishlist:

Probably skipping again :cry:
    • Disco
      Midshipman

by Disco » Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:16 pm

The Fountainhead - Ayn Rand. Almost finished with it.
      Melloboat - 2008
      70k Tons - 2011
      70k Tons - 2013
      70k Tons - 2018
      Yippee38
      Petty Officer

by Yippee38 » Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:10 am

I'm reading the first of the two new Dresden Files books: "Peace Talks". Those books are always a fun, easy read.

I'm also listening to the most recent Jack Carr (author of The Terminal List) book: "In the Blood".
      cegr80
      Lieutenant

by cegr80 » Tue Jan 10, 2023 1:57 pm

JRR Tolkien - The Silmarillion

Tried twice before but couldn't finish it. I'm determined on finishing it this third time
      Last edited by cegr80 on Wed Jan 11, 2023 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
      mindgrind
      Petty Officer

by mindgrind » Wed Jan 11, 2023 7:52 am

Jonny Cash"Man In White"
      2024 - Deck mold 2
      2023 - Deck 10 cheap room 4 walls no window
      2020 - Deck 4
      2019 - Deck 2
      2018 - Deck 10
      2017 - Deck 7
      2016 -
      2015 - Deck 9
      2014 - Deck 4
      2013 - Deck 3
      2012 - Deck 2 on Barge
      2012 - Deck 6
      2011 - Deck 7
      mooyagi
      Captain

by mooyagi » Fri Jan 13, 2023 7:02 am

This was a fantastic popcorn book. Light, funny and didn't require full attention. A good distraction between heavier reads.
      I should get around to updating my signature
      cegr80
      Lieutenant

by cegr80 » Tue Aug 08, 2023 1:01 pm

Found the Oppenheimer biography "American Prometheus" in hardcover but in spanish (not an issue since spanish is my first language)
      cegr80
      Lieutenant

by cegr80 » Wed Feb 14, 2024 5:35 pm

Ordered "Wolves Evolve - The Ulver Story" book. Could not resist the very last copy online at Napalm Records.
      last_candle
      Lieutenant-Commander

by last_candle » Sat Feb 17, 2024 12:49 pm

Matthew Perry's biography...
      wishlist '25:
      Axxis - Doro - Edguy - Frozen Crown - Gatekeeper - Satan - Seven Sisters - Shadowpath - Silex - Skyclad - Steel Attack - Viathyn - Voyager - Wuthering Heights - 4th Dimension
    Post Reply 880 posts