Post Reply 880 posts
What book are you reading at the moment ?
    LadyBlackfhyre
    Midshipman

Re: What book are you reading at the moment ?

by LadyBlackfhyre » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:07 am

DJ Old Man Stares wrote:
    X-Thor wrote:Right now, I'm reading about military history and strategy... I don't know why, really. :P

It's because you're going to help me with my fucking book I've been working on for half my fucking life!

Stares, what kind of book???

70,000 Tons of Metal Survivor - 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 Here I come!
  • X-Thor
    Lieutenant

by X-Thor » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:28 am

DJ Old Man Stares wrote:
    X-Thor wrote:Right now, I'm reading about military history and strategy... I don't know why, really. :P

It's because you're going to help me with my fucking book I've been working on for half my fucking life!

I really want to read that.
    70K 2013 SURVIVOR (Cabin 2120)
    70K 2014 SURVIVOR (Cabin 2565)

In perpetual post-cruise depression/pre-cruise anxiety.

Doing my best to be there for 2015.
    --
    Wishlist: Blind Guardian and Saurom. Will probably like 90%+ of the bands onbroad anyway.
    viathyn
    Commander

by viathyn » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:24 am

X-Thor wrote:
    X-Thor wrote:A friend let me borrow his copy of Wise Man's Fear, so I'm reading that now. Shame that it took me so long to start reading it. :oops:

Aand done. Great book. Roothfuss is an amazing writer. Also, that fucking tree thing. Creepy.

Now reading Hyperion for maybe the 4th time. :oops:

That was quick! Yeah Wise Man's Fear is sweet.

That tree thing in the Fae... the Chteah? Yeah. Creepy.
    2011: Cabin #5549
    2012: Cabin #2581
    2013: Cabin #2077
    2014: Cabin #2583
    2015: Cabin #3242

Please check out my band
    http://www.facebook.com/VIATHYN

viathyn
    Commander

by viathyn » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:24 am

Also if you're into military strategy, you gotta read Malazan, dude!
    2011: Cabin #5549
    2012: Cabin #2581
    2013: Cabin #2077
    2014: Cabin #2583
    2015: Cabin #3242

Please check out my band
    http://www.facebook.com/VIATHYN

• X-Thor
    Lieutenant

by X-Thor » Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:50 am

viathyn wrote:Also if you're into military strategy, you gotta read Malazan, dude!

After Hyperion, I'm reading Mistborn and/or Words of Radiance (whichever I get first), then I'll go for Malazan.

--
    Wishlist: Blind Guardian and Saurom. Will probably like 90%+ of the bands onbroad anyway.
  • X-Thor
    Lieutenant

by X-Thor » Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:51 am

viathyn wrote:
    X-Thor wrote:
    X-Thor wrote:A friend let me borrow his copy of Wise Man's Fear, so I'm reading that now. Shame that it took me so long to start reading it. :oops:

Aand done. Great book. Roothfuss is an amazing writer. Also, that fucking tree thing. Creepy.

Now reading Hyperion for maybe the 4th time. :oops:

That was quick! Yeah Wise Man's Fear is sweet.

That tree thing in the Fae... the Chteah? Yeah. Creepy.

Yes! I was seriously creeped out when I read that part.

--
  • X-Thor
    Lieutenant

by X-Thor » Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:52 am

Also, sci-fi/fantasy forumites:

READ RED RISING.

--
    LadyBlackfhyre
    Midshipman

by LadyBlackfhyre » Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:35 pm

I wish i had more time to read, but it is difficult with work. I'm not even sure if I will have finished Wheel of Time by the time the cruise rolls around. Still on book 6

• X-Thor
    Lieutenant

by X-Thor » Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:33 pm

LadyBlackfhyre wrote:I wish i had more time to read, but it is difficult with work. I'm not even sure if I will have finished Wheel of Time by the time the cruise rolls around. Still on book 6

After book 6 it gets increasingly slow for some time. So take your time. :P

--
  • klons
    Chief Petty Officer

by klons » Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:36 pm

X-Thor wrote:
    LadyBlackfhyre wrote:I wish i had more time to read, but it is difficult with work. I'm not even sure if I will have finished Wheel of Time by the time the cruise rolls around. Still on book 6

I really need to restart/finish this off.. finished the first six back in highschool.
    2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 Survivor.
  • X-Thor
    Lieutenant

by X-Thor » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:45 pm

klons wrote:
    X-Thor wrote:

I really need to restart/finish this off.. finished the first six back in highschool.

Yes, you definitely should

--
  • Samhain
    Petty Officer

by Samhain » Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:46 am

I just finished reading Priestess of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley. It wasn't as engaging as Mists of Avalon or Forest House but I enjoy the series.
    Avalon, Camelot, Roman Empire, right up my alley. Today is my last day of classes though and I'm in dire need of a good fantasy series for the summer!

Wishlist 70K 2016: Aborted, At the Gates, Devin Townsend, Kreator, Panzerfaust, Rotting Christ.

Survivor 70K 2011-2012-2013-2014-2015
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:59 am

Samhain wrote:I just finished reading Priestess of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley. It wasn't as engaging as Mists of Avalon or Forest House but I enjoy the series.
    Avalon, Camelot, Roman Empire, right up my alley. Today is my last day of classes though and I'm in dire need of a good fantasy series for the summer!

Curious to know how consistent it was seeing as she passed away during the writing of it and it was completed by Paxson. Lady of Avalon was the last one I read and I found it less enjoyable than Forest House and, of course, Mists. Did you enjoy it enough to carry on with the next 3 written by Paxson?
    So far at least, 2011, 2012 & 2015 were enough for me
    :shred:Book 'em ANDO!! :headbanger:

:boobs: 2018/2019 Hockeyagi Champion :boobs:
  • X-Thor
    Lieutenant

by X-Thor » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:03 pm

Samhain wrote:I just finished reading Priestess of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley. It wasn't as engaging as Mists of Avalon or Forest House but I enjoy the series.

Go for The Wheel of Time!

Or, if you want something shorter, I reccommend ANYTHING by Brandon Sanderson, especially The Way of Kings (and Words of Radiance came out last month!).

Though I haven't read it, I've heard nothing but awesome about Malazan, so you could go there. :ugeek:

--
  • sageoftruth
    Lieutenant

by sageoftruth » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:22 pm

Lately I've been in a similar pickle after finishing Mysts of Avalon. I noticed Marion Zimmer Bradley has written a bunch of other books and can't decide what to tackle next. Which would you consider to be the closest second to Mysts?
  • Samhain
    Petty Officer

by Samhain » Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:38 pm

sageoftruth wrote:

Lately I've been in a similar pickle after finishing Mysts of Avalon. I noticed Marion Zimmer Bradley has written a bunch of other books and can't decide what to tackle next. Which would you consider to be the closest second to Mysts?

I would definitely recommend Forest House, I actually preferred it to Mists.

I did not find Priestess of Avalon as consistent with Mists and Forest House, it took me over 6 months to finish it as it really seemed to just lag on and yet somehow lacked the depth of previous books.
    Wishlist 70K 2016: Aborted, At the Gates, Devin Townsend, Kreator, Panzerfaust, Rotting Christ.

Survivor 70K 2011-2012-2013-2014-2015
  • sageoftruth
    Lieutenant

by sageoftruth » Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:42 pm

Samhain wrote:
    sageoftruth wrote:

I would definitely recommend Forest House, I actually preferred it to Mists.

I did not find Priestess of Avalon as consistent with Mists and Forest House, it took me over 6 months to finish it as it really seemed to just lag on and yet somehow lacked the depth of previous books.

Got it. I'm downloading it right now.
    LadyBlackfhyre
    Midshipman

by LadyBlackfhyre » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:01 pm

How many books are slow in WoT? It is still a goo read though correct?

I'm excited to see how things unfold. I am loving every second of reading Wheel of Time!!!!!

Wicker Man
    Petty Officer

by Wicker Man » Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:32 pm

So i started reading WoT because of you guys, only 200 pages in the first book and already loving it!
    The shadow of the Wicker Man is rising up again!
    LadyBlackfhyre
    Midshipman

by LadyBlackfhyre » Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:51 pm

Wicker Man wrote:So i started reading WoT because of you guys, only 200 pages in the first book and already loving it!

great choice!!!! You will not regret this decision!

• X-Thor
    Lieutenant

by X-Thor » Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:37 am

LadyBlackfhyre wrote:How many books are slow in WoT? It is still a goo read though correct?

I'm excited to see how things unfold. I am loving every second of reading Wheel of Time!!!!!

Books 7 and 8 start to slow down. Books 9 and 10 are SLOOOOOOWWWWW, but still entertaining. It has a lot of plot to unravel, so it doesn't advance much. Then it gets awesome and faster again.

I guess it's better if you read them having the next book already with you.

--
    LadyBlackfhyre
    Midshipman

by LadyBlackfhyre » Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:05 pm

I have been reading the books on my phone, so I have them all ready to go! I just need to find more time to read!

• DJ Old Man Stares
    Midshipman

by DJ Old Man Stares » Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:14 pm

X-Thor wrote:
    LadyBlackfhyre wrote:How many books are slow in WoT? It is still a goo read though correct?

Books 7 and 8 start to slow down. Books 9 and 10 are SLOOOOOOWWWWW, but still entertaining. It has a lot of plot to unravel, so it doesn't advance much. Then it gets awesome and faster again.

I thought book six was the first really slow one. I have many gripes about that one. You can tell that's where Robert Jordan didn't know quite where he was going with everyone and that he was getting paid by the word.

I thought book 7 was great, but many people complain about that one. Personally I believe he should've condensed the awesome stuff in books 6 and 7 for one amazing book.

Books 8 and 9 should have been condensed. Book eight was terribly slow and ended horribly, and while book nine was pretty slow the ending was well worth it.

Book 10 should have never happened, it was a complete waste of time.

Book 11 was a step back in the right direction but I would say at best that its on par with book 7.

Books 12, 13 and 14 reward all your wasted time with finally resolving plots that should have been resolved five books ago. Almost done with book 14 (less than 400 pages left) and its probably the best book out of them all. Keep powering through the slow moments and in time they will pay off.
    Wishlist: Razor, Sacrifice, Laaz Rockit, Mekong Delta, Flames (GRC), Bal Sagoth, Running Wild, Sodom, Paradox, Exciter, Dark Angel, Sadus, Attacker, Believer, Emperor, Skelator, Spellcaster, Aeternus, Holy Moses, Setherial
  • X-Thor
    Lieutenant

by X-Thor » Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:33 pm

DJ Old Man Stares wrote:
    X-Thor wrote:

I thought book six was the first really slow one. I have many gripes about that one. You can tell that's where Robert Jordan didn't know quite where he was going with everyone and that he was getting paid by the word.

I thought book 7 was great, but many people complain about that one. Personally I believe he should've condensed the awesome stuff in books 6 and 7 for one amazing book.

Books 8 and 9 should have been condensed. Book eight was terribly slow and ended horribly, and while book nine was pretty slow the ending was well worth it.

Book 10 should have never happened, it was a complete waste of time.

Book 11 was a step back in the right direction but I would say at best that its on par with book 7.

Books 12, 13 and 14 reward all your wasted time with finally resolving plots that should have been resolved five books ago. Almost done with book 14 (less than 400 pages left) and its probably the best book out of them all. Keep powering through the slow moments and in time they will pay off.

I'd say Book 6's ending is fucking awesome. I got the impression that Mr Jordan clearly knew where he was going, but he had trouble moving the plot and the characters towards that end.

--
  • DJ Old Man Stares
    Midshipman

by DJ Old Man Stares » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:39 am

He had trouble moving the plot and characters because he didn't know where he was going. I find that even more evident in the tenth book "Crossroads of Twilight," I mean its written in the title itself. The tenth book contained no events and was just every character in the story second guessing him or herself. I thought the ending to the sixth book was indeed fucking awesome, but should have come far sooner than it did. Far too much unnecessary build up.
    Wishlist: Razor, Sacrifice, Laaz Rockit, Mekong Delta, Flames (GRC), Bal Sagoth, Running Wild, Sodom, Paradox, Exciter, Dark Angel, Sadus, Attacker, Believer, Emperor, Skelator, Spellcaster, Aeternus, Holy Moses, Setherial
    LadyBlackfhyre
    Midshipman

by LadyBlackfhyre » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:27 am

DJ Old Man Stares wrote:He had trouble moving the plot and characters because he didn't know where he was going. I find that even more evident in the tenth book "Crossroads of Twilight," I mean its written in the title itself. The tenth book contained no events and was just every character in the story second guessing him or herself. I thought the ending to the sixth book was indeed fucking awesome, but should have come far sooner than it did. Far too much unnecessary build up.

I am about halfway into book 6 right now... even though it is a little slow I am enjoying it. I just really love the story so far. I'm super excited to continue on!!!!!!
    I just also need to figure out when to read book 0 New Spring.....

• X-Thor
    Lieutenant

by X-Thor » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:27 pm

LadyBlackfhyre wrote:
    DJ Old Man Stares wrote:He had trouble moving the plot and characters because he didn't know where he was going. I find that even more evident in the tenth book "Crossroads of Twilight," I mean its written in the title itself. The tenth book contained no events and was just every character in the story second guessing him or herself. I thought the ending to the sixth book was indeed fucking awesome, but should have come far sooner than it did. Far too much unnecessary build up.

I am about halfway into book 6 right now... even though it is a little slow I am enjoying it. I just really love the story so far. I'm super excited to continue on!!!!!!
    I just also need to figure out when to read book 0 New Spring.....

I would say it's a good idea to read it between books 8 and 10, when you feel like you need a break. I read it when I finished Book 13.

--
  • DJ Old Man Stares
    Midshipman

by DJ Old Man Stares » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:28 pm

I believe New Spring was written after book 7. After reading book 7 New Spring should make much more sense than reading it in chronological order. If you don't read New Spring you really are not missing that much. That being said, I'm enjoying the final book so much that a few years from now I might go through the entire series starting with New Spring again. You're in for lots of sleep, but you're in for a wild ride with the final trilogy alone. Enjoy the ride!
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:37 am

Samhain wrote:I would definitely recommend Forest House, I actually preferred it to Mists.

Agreed. Forest House was a great prequel.

Samhain, did you know that MZB passed away during the writing of Priestess so it was finished by the woman who has now written a couple more in the line (Diana Paxson)? I suspect that may have to do with why you found it inconsistent/different etc. I've only read the first 3 books and have decided to leave it at that since Lady of Avalon fell a bit flat for me in comparison with Mists and FH.
    So far at least, 2011, 2012 & 2015 were enough for me
    :shred:Book 'em ANDO!! :headbanger:

:boobs: 2018/2019 Hockeyagi Champion :boobs:
    EpidemicReign
    Petty Officer

by EpidemicReign » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:58 pm

I haven't read anything in a couple months... I was storming through GRRM's ASOIAF series and fell off a couple chapters into A Dance With Dragons. I think I just kind of burnt myself out on it. Will be resuming shortly.

When I started reading the series I thought I was in a race to get caught up before the sixth book comes out. Boy, was I wrong.
    2018 Booked
    2017 Survivor
    2015 Survivor
  • X-Thor
    Lieutenant

by X-Thor » Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:32 pm

EpidemicReign wrote:When I started reading the series I thought I was in a race to get caught up before the sixth book comes out. Boy, was I wrong.

You poor, summer child.

--
    LadyBlackfhyre
    Midshipman

by LadyBlackfhyre » Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:42 am

DJ Old Man Stares wrote:I believe New Spring was written after book 7. After reading book 7 New Spring should make much more sense than reading it in chronological order. If you don't read New Spring you really are not missing that much. That being said, I'm enjoying the final book so much that a few years from now I might go through the entire series starting with New Spring again. You're in for lots of sleep, but you're in for a wild ride with the final trilogy alone. Enjoy the ride!

okie dokie - I will ready it at some point after book 7 then - I'll see what Charlie wants to do as we are reading the series at the same pace!

• sageoftruth
    Lieutenant

by sageoftruth » Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:56 pm

I just started Forest House by Marion Zimmer Bradley. Started, as in, read the first page. It took me awhile to get back into the habit of reading. I remember once reading a book called "Ramses" by Christian Jacq, that was about the Egyptian pharaoh. Just like Mysts of Avalon, even though it was historical fiction, the gods were real and miracles really happened. It even managed to portray Moses as an impostor wielding false magic. It makes me wonder what it would've been like if someone rewrote Mysts of Avalon from the perspective of a devout Roman Catholic. All of the events would have been the same, only from the perspective of someone who believed in God and either dismissed the pagan beliefs as false superstition, or believed it to be dark magic.
    I suppose that was already done in some of the original Arthurian tales, but those books tended to gloss over all the stuff that happened with the women. What if Gwynethfar was the main character of Mysts of Avalon?
  • GamingCarl
    Wiper

by GamingCarl » Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:57 am

I'm reading Italo Calvino's "If on a winter's night a traveler". It is soooo good. Can only recommend!
  • DJ Old Man Stares
    Midshipman

by DJ Old Man Stares » Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:30 am

Haven't been on here much with what I've been reading. Anyway, finished the Final Wheel of Time book sometime in March or beginning of April. It was completely awesome. There was about a thousand pages of nothing but the battle that Robert Jordan has promised us for so many years. Without adding any spoilers all I can say is that the wait was surprisingly worth it. Stick through the slow times and eventually you will be rewarded with the final payoff.
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:18 pm

Stained Class wrote:
    Stained Class On November 4th wrote:Image
    About 100 pages in already. Book 3 was fucking incredible right through to the last page! I'm hoping this one isn't as boring as a lot of the readers say it is. So far it's not bad.

Jeez that took me a while. Just finished it and now moving on to:

Also as far as people saying that that book was boring compared to the previous ones; it was.

Done. Come on George get that fucking sixth book out!!!!
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band
    www.facebook.com/Apprenticemetal

I run a festival
    https://www.facebook.com/events/2854966994515383
    Speedy
    Ensign

by Speedy » Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:38 am

Stained Class wrote:
    Stained Class wrote:
    Stained Class On November 4th wrote:Image
    About 100 pages in already. Book 3 was fucking incredible right through to the last page! I'm hoping this one isn't as boring as a lot of the readers say it is. So far it's not bad.

Also as far as people saying that that book was boring compared to the previous ones; it was.

I'm moderately confident that it will be out this century :lol: :lol: :lol:
    70k 2013 cabin 4008
    70k 2014 cabin 2565
    70k 2015 cabin 8687
    70k 2016 cabin 7607
    70k 2017 cabin 6667

70k 2018 M.I.A.
    70k 2019 cabin 7690
    70k 2018 M.I.A.
    (Part) Norwegian Wishlist: -Audrey.Horne-/-Borknagar-/-Chontaraz-/-Chrome.Division-/-Circus.Maximus-/-Dimension.F3h-/-Divided.Multitude-/-Djerv-/-Enslaved-/-Evig.Natt-/-Glittertind-/-Gothminister-/-Highland.Glory-/-ICS.Vortex-/-Jorn-/-Leprous-/-Lumsk-/-Memorized.Dreams-/-Midnattsol-/-Mortemia-/-Nergard-/-Pagan's.Mind-/-Savn-/-Sirenia-/-Svölk-/-Tellus.Requiem-/-Triosphere-/-Tristania-/-Viper.Solfa-/-Vredehammer-/-Vreid-/-Withem-

International Wishlist: -Accept-/-Amberian.Dawn-/-Amon.Amarth-/-Ancient.Bards-/-And.Then.She.Came-/-Arch.Enemy-/-Аркона-/-Avantasia-/-Battle.Beast-/-Battlelore-/-Beyond.the.Bridge-/-Blind.Guardian-/-Brothers.of.Metal-/-Dalriada-/-Dark.Sarah-/-Delain-/-Demons&Wizards-/-Diabulus.in.Musica-/-Die.Apocalyptischen.Reiter-/-Doro-/-Draconian-/-Dragonforce-/-Dragony-/-Dream.Theater-/-Eisbrecher-/-Eluveitie-/-Elvenking-/-Ensiferum-/-Equilibrium-/-Evenoire-/-Ex.Libris-/-Fejd-/-Finsterforst-/-Freedom.Call-/-Fylgja-/-Gloryhammer-/-Грай-/-Grailknights-/-Hammerfall-/-Heavatar-/-Heidevolk-/-Heldmaschine-/-Helloween-/-Ignea-/-Jaded.Star-/-Калевала-/-Kalmah-/-Korpiklaani-/-Lacuna.Coil-/-Magistina.Saga-/-MaYaN-/-Megaherz-/-Metsatöll-/-Moonspell-/-Månegarm-/-Невидь-/-Nightmare-/-Nightwish-/-Nine.Treasures-/-November-7-/-OOMPH!-/-Orden.Ogan-/-Powerwolf-/-Queensrÿche-/-Rage-/-Ragnaröek-/-Raubtier-/-Rhapsody.(any.edition)-/-Running.Wild-/-Sabaton-/-Saltatio.Mortis-/-Schwarzer.Engel-/-Serenity-/-Seven.Kingdoms-/-Seven.Spires-/-Skálmöld-/-Sleeping.Romance-/-Смута-/-Sonata.Arctica-/-Stahlmann-/-Subway.to.Sally-/-SuidAkrA-/-Svartsot-/-Symphony.X-/-Tarja-/-The.Privateer-/-Turisas-/-Twilight.Force-/-Týr-/-U.D.O.-/-Van.Canto-/-Vanden.Plas-/-Varg-/-Vika-/-Visions.of.Atlantis-/-Vogelfrey-/-Volbeat-/-VUUR-/-White.Shadow-/-Winterstorm-/-Within.Temptation-/-Xandria-
  • X-Thor
    Lieutenant

by X-Thor » Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:17 am

I've been powering through Brandon Sanderon's work. Read Words of Radiance (Stormlight Archive pt II), then Mistborn. I'm close to finishing the second Mistborn book (The Well of Ascension). I have to say, right now, Sanderson is definitely my favorite fantasy author.

--
  • Soundchaser
    Petty Officer

by Soundchaser » Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:01 pm

just a tiny one, but timeless truth within

The Peter Principle: Why Things Always Go Wrong
    Dr. Laurence J. Peter / Raymond Hull
    ISBN-13: 978-0062092069
    70kt Survivor: 2013 / 2014 / 2015 / 2016 / 2017 / 2020 / 2024
    gundiesalvo
    Petty Officer

by gundiesalvo » Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:02 am

Speedy wrote:
    Stained Class wrote:
    Stained Class wrote:quote="Stained Class On November 4th"]Image

I'm moderately confident that it will be out this century :lol: :lol: :lol:[/quote]

Yeah, however if it does come out around the end of it we will probably still miss it.

I finished Dance with Dragons recently and then jumped to Zen and the art of Motorcycle Maintenance by Pirsig, great read! Now with a collection of short stories by Jack London.
    70000 Tons 2015 Cabin 2604
    70000 Tons 2016 ?
    Wishlist:to-be-filled-in-later
Post Reply 880 posts