Post Reply 13 posts Page 1 of 1
Peak Experiences
  • Laura
    Commander

Peak Experiences

by Laura » Sat May 28, 2011 1:43 pm

Peak...as in outstanding, amazing, memorable....

I thought of this thread topic because seeing Corvus Corax at Wacken was definitely one of those peak experiences for me. (who I mentioned on the Engine Room forum today). Just a few others for now that come to mind are: seeing the sun rise out of Haleakala in Maui and riding a moped all over the island of Santorini, Greece with The Who song "I'm Free" in my mind.

This thread idea also came to my mind when KDibildox and I were discussing The Cruise last night at dinner. We both described it as something that still doesn't seem quite real, and something which turned out far greater than we would have ever imagined....so, yeah, I, for one, count it as another peak experience. :beerwink:
    2009-Wacken-2010-Wacken-2011-70K-Lollapalooza-HoleInTheSky-2012-70K-ColdWaves-2013-Lollapalooza-ColdWaves-2014-ProgNationAtSea-Pitchfork-RiotFest-ColdWaves-2015-RockLegendsCruise-CruiseToTheEdge-2016-ChicagoOpenAir-2017-70K!!
    Bell
    Petty Officer

Re: Peak Experiences

by Bell » Sat May 28, 2011 4:58 pm

This is an awesome thread!

There are way too many awesome gig moments to name, be it playing or attending, as well as meeting so many idols.

Peak experiences off the top of my head:

VIsiting the Kennedy Space Centre back in '99, I was a HUGE astronomy geek as a child, so going to that place was pure heaven on earth for me.
    Proper fork lightning in Florida, the same year and on the same holiday.
    Watching the sun rise out of the mountains at Metalcamp in Slovenia a few years ago.
    Catching the sun set in Ibiza last summer with a group of close friends.

The above are all pretty much tied at first position.

It WOULD have been seeing a space shuttle launch hands down, if we seen it happen...

We went to see a proposed launch, but it got postponed.
    Went back the next night and again, postponed.
    On the third night we decided to go a drive down to Clearwater for the day, assuming the launch would be delayed again.

But no, we got back to our villa and turned on the TV to see the news channels showing it happen. GUTTED!

Went outside and seen the thing up in the air, which was still cool and awesome, but somewhat of an anti-climax, hahaha. Ach well, these things happen.

Oh, also, been to New York twice and had an absolute blast. My favourite city by far, so many of my favourite childhood movies based there, so it was amazing to finally walk those streets and look up at all those famous buildings. The fact that I got to hit Gigantour and catch Megadeth, Dream Theater and Symphony X was just a huge bonus! :mrgreen:

Excuse the essay, but I like to talk :cool:
  • KDibildeaux
    Captain

by KDibildeaux » Sat May 28, 2011 6:45 pm

Hm...

I'd have to say definitely the cruise and my trip to Europe last year. Finally making it to Finland after about 5 years of talking about it was amazing. Also, seeing Sentenced in 2005, on their farewell tour, which was also their first and only time in Mexico. Aaaaaand, finally seeing the Phantom of the Opera in Vegas last year.
    La sabiduría me persigue................pero yo soy más rápida
    MadameLePink
    Sub-Lieutenant

by MadameLePink » Sun May 29, 2011 4:43 am

My no. 1 experience must be walking in Copenhagen rigth after I had permanently moved to Denmark. I felt so free, my dream had come true. I had been dreaming about moving to Scandinavia since I was 14 and it took med 7 years to accomplish that, but it was worth it and I'll never regret leaving everything to follow a dream :)

No. 2 is the first time I went to Sweden, when I was 18. That was the first step on the way to fulfill my dream. I had been saving money for 4 years :)

Another great one for me was when a book I wrote with a friend was published in the beginning of the 90's. We were just teens and we wrote for fun, never thought anyone would publish something of ours. The book is about a female rock band and all my idols from that time are included, but we had to change their names :lol: So Axl Rose became Lax Rose (laks/lax in danish/swedish means salmon :lol: ), Slash became Splash, Hanoi Rocks became Saigon Shakes (they have an album called Bangkok shocks, Saigon Shakes, Hanoi Rocks) etc... :beerwink:
    Wishlist 2013: Finntroll, Ensiferum, Septic Flesh, Primordial, Powerwolf, Heidevolk, Insomnium, Kalmah, Equilibrium, Skull Fist, Chthonic

Beer and bananas!
    Goddess of Metal
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Goddess of Metal » Sun May 29, 2011 12:45 pm

The cruise is #1 for sure!! :shred:

Moving to California from Chicago after enduring 30 years of horrible weather. This was dream of mine since age 7.

EPIC Windsurfing in Aruba and Belize. :D

Anything related to riding a motorcycle. I have had many amazing times riding my dirt bike in various places like the desert, Mammoth, and Otay Mountain. First time I rode my Ducati in the mountains.

WAY too many incredible concert/music experiences to mention. ProgPower festivals for one. Seeing Trans-Siberian Orchestra for the first time. Hanging out with Savatage during the 80's. Meeting Dio. Just to name a few. :headbanger:

Overcoming being disabled in 30% of my body after being told it was permanent. Fuck those doctors!!! :evil:

EPIC sex ;)

Lots of incredible hiking experiences!

Swimming with dolphins in Honduras.

Camping/fishing/windsurfing in Mulege in BAJA. While I was windsurfing naked on my birthday (X-mas Eve), dolphins jumped out of the water all around me. Truly spectacular!!!
    Last edited by Goddess of Metal on Tue May 31, 2011 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    A.K.A Margie Metalho

2024 - Deck 7
    2019 - Deck 7
    2018 - Deck 6
    2017 - Deck 6
    2016 - Deck 6
    2015 - Deck 7
    2014 - Deck 2
    2013 - Deck 2
    2012 - Deck 2 on Barge
    2012 - Deck 2
    2011 - Deck.3

Wishlist:
    Abbath-/-Agalloch-/-Allen–Lande-/-Alestorm-/-Ancient.Bards-/-Angel.Dust-/-Angra-/-Arcturus-/-Avantasia-/-Axenstar-/-Beast.in.Black-/-Battle.Beast-/-Blind.Guardian-/-Borknagar-/-Cain’s.Offering-/-Conception-/-Cruachan-/-Dark.Moor-/-Devin.Townsend-/-Dragonland-/-Dimmu.Borgir-/-Dream.Evil-/-Elvenking-/-Equilibrium-/-Fairyland-/-Finntroll-/-Fleshgod.Apocalypse-/-Freak.Kitchen-/-Ghost-/-Gloryhammer-/-Grailknights-/-Gwydion-/-Haken-/-Haggard-/-Heidevolk-/-Helloween-/-In.Extremo-/-Kamelot-/-Masterplan-/-Mayan-/-Metsatöll-/-Mob.Rules-/-Myrath-/-Nanowar.of.Steel-/-Opeth-/-Orden.Ogan-/-Pagan’s.Mind-/-Pain.of.Salvation-/-Powerwolf-/-Rhapsody-/-Rhapsody.of.Fire-/-Riot.V-/-Running.Wild-/-Sabaton-/-Saint.Deamon-/-Samael-/-Saor-/-Savatage-/-SepticFlesh-/-Serenity-/-Stratovarius-/-Sunburst-/-Symphony.X-/-The.Gentle.Storm-/-Therion-/-The.Night.Flight.Orchestra-/-Threshold-/-Twilight.Force-/-Voodoo.Circle-/-Voyager-/-Warkings-/-Wind.Rose-/-Wintersun-/-Zebra
    wildchild
    Chief Petty Officer

by wildchild » Sun May 29, 2011 2:50 pm

I find enjoyment in most things I do but some of my unforgettable peaks are :

Getting to play with the tiger cubs and cuddle with the big tigers at the Tiger temple in Thailand.

The cruise off course !

The joy when I finally passed the test for my biker license

Most festivals are peaks in my life, as I feel I´m being transferred to another world, where all share their love for the music and all the great people you meet, hate coming home after a festival , and it usually takes me a while to adjust to reality again.

Meeting Blackie Lawless twice hanging out with the band in their tourbus was a definite peak for me :D

Being invited for beers to a friends house in Blackpool England, finding myself seated next to Lemmy :shock: ( her Dad used to sing in the Rocking Vicars, where Lemmy played for a short while )

Finally seeing Los Angeles for the first time after this years cruise and having an absolute ball while being there :P

Swimming with dolphins in Mexico, a longlife dream come through :D
    Deck 3 # 3506 2011
    Deck 2 # 2599 2012
    Of all the things I´ve lost, I miss my mind the most...

70000 TONS SURVIVOR 2011
    70000 TONS SURVIVOR 2012
  • ragnaröks_roller
    Chief Petty Officer

by ragnaröks_roller » Mon May 30, 2011 2:18 am

What a great idea for thread indeed! I have actually spent a lot of time recently reflecting on my past and all the amazing things I've had the chance to do, those thoughts spurred by coming to a place where many people have not ventured far outside their immediate geographical realities, nor feel it's a reality to do so even given the desire and means. I feel so fortunate to have never had limitations put on me by any influence, realizing fully that life is what you make it. At 33 years of age I sometimes feel stunted materialistically and professionally given some of my choices, but when all is said and done I wouldn't trade my experiences for anything. Off the top of my head:

-- Going to my first punk show in Detroit at Trumbull, I would have been 15 or 16. I honestly can't remember who we saw, but it was incredible. I'm tempted to say it was Drop Dead but I could be very wrong about that.

-- My first experience in NYC. 1996 I think -- I was going to college in Baltimore and I went to meet up with a high school friend attending the New School Conservatory. Went to my first punk show at ABC No Rio -- Choking Victim and Citizen Fish. After that we went to Bar d'O where my friend was working as a dish washer and got to hang out with transvestite diva extraordinaire, Raven. Walked thru Washington Square park drunk as shit, and the next day took the subway up to Columbia to visit another friend who's now a high power lawyer in Chicago via D.C. The whole weekend was amazing and eye-opening.

-- My first trip from Baltimore to Philly and show at Stalag 13. Again, can't remembered who played, but that place was to be instrumental in who I am as a person now. I may not remember the specifics of each show, but I'll never forget the people and the experiences I had there.

-- Spiderfest 1996 or 1997 in Marmora, Ontario, a huge punk fest.

-- Making the trip to Milwaukee Metalfest in 1998 from Philly. Saw Emperor, Sodom, and Destruction among many other bands. My dog was less than a year old and my human travelling companion was a new friend, but already a dear friend. He died last year at the age of 30. I'd give anything to do that trip over with both JP and my dog, who also died last year only a few months before Jipp Dawg.

-- Going to Milwaukee Metalfest in 2001, again, from Philly. Macabre, Einhurjer..... man oh man, some great bands on that one. Met my (now ex) husband there that week. My dog, Meridian, was with me still too.

-- Attending a huge gathering of folks from all over the country for an annual meetup during the crazy St. Patrick's day celebrations in Savannah, Georgia after voluntarily giving up my apartment and leaving Philly after about 5 years for a life on the road which was to last for about a year. The then-boyfriend, now ex-husband and our two dogs lived out of my 1990 Toyota Corolla, subsequently a 1994 Jeep Cherokee after the Corolla succumbed to a wiring short and caught on fire in Austin, TX. A "peak experience" for sure. That was freaky. Hit all sorts of locations that year, and saw lots of live music including the next peak experience.

-- Seeing Dio, Deep Purple, and the Scorpions at the Aladdin Ballroom in Las Vegas. Powerful. I wish I'd been able to see Dio at least once more, but that was it. At least I got to see that magical mystical man perform once before he died. I'll never ever forget that.

-- I'm going to have to include the PaganFest tour of 200__, ummm, 8? 9? at the Starlite Room in Edmonton -- Swashbuckle, Primordial, Moonsorrow, Finntroll. I was into folk metal before that, and had seen Finntroll and other Finnish folk-metal bands live even, but that show was really what cemented my love for the genre and was exceptionally powerful.

-- And of course 70,000 Tons of Metal 2011. The maiden voyage. Peak of the peak of the peak.

Wow. A trip down memory lane. :D
  • Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Mon May 30, 2011 6:42 am

really wonderful posts everyone! :D :cheers: (and if you're an Oprah fan :P , you'll get what I mean by this ;) - such a thread is like a mini-"gratitude journal")

...and now off to enjoy a beautiful sunny Memorial Day here: http://www.mortonarb.org/

^^^^ it's now several hours later... had a nice time there although it is 90 degrees here today and very humid! Whew! It occurred to me today thinking about the "peak experience" concept that ever since I can remember, much of my existence has been about reaching for a "higher high," which has meant different things to me at different times and stages. However, harkening back to the song "I'm Free" by The Who....I think I finally discovered for myself the meaning of the line "If I told you what it takes to reach the highest high, you'd laugh and say nothing's that simple." :beerwink:
    2009-Wacken-2010-Wacken-2011-70K-Lollapalooza-HoleInTheSky-2012-70K-ColdWaves-2013-Lollapalooza-ColdWaves-2014-ProgNationAtSea-Pitchfork-RiotFest-ColdWaves-2015-RockLegendsCruise-CruiseToTheEdge-2016-ChicagoOpenAir-2017-70K!!
    Bell
    Petty Officer

by Bell » Tue May 31, 2011 5:50 pm

gnoff wrote:Getting to see Guns n' Roses in 1993 after being a huge fan for years.

JEALOUS! That would have been amazing!
  • KevinP
    Commander

by KevinP » Tue May 31, 2011 6:21 pm

Being part of Laura's new avatar. My life is almost complete

WISHLIST

BOLT THROWER / MADDER MORTEM / SEAR BLISS / AEON / THE AMENTA / AUTOPSY / MDB / THE 11th HOUR / HAIL OF BULLETS / DORDEDUH / TRIPTYKON / NE OBLIVISCARIS / PORTAL

The Sultan of Stroopwafels
    The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
  • Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Tue May 31, 2011 7:33 pm

KevinP wrote:Being part of Laura's new avatar. My life is almost complete

Aw shucks, Mr. Addison. :mrgreen:

soundcurve
    Chief Petty Officer

by soundcurve » Tue May 31, 2011 10:37 pm

Good thread, though most of my peaks are what I find in "enjoyment" in valleys so to speak. I've have been close to the grim several time up to this point in my life and find that I most appreciate being alive at these moments (the peak to me) and learn a new respect for the unknown. Fame, icons, etc. mean less to me when close to the mortal coil. So keeping to music:

Driving to the dump to help my dad and listening to "Masters of Puppets" /w em. (Always fascinated where human innovation ended up and the album seemed a fitting soundtrack for some reason)
      High schools days listening to "Marylin Manson - Portrait of an American Family" and "Type O Negative - Bloody Kisses."
      First couple "gigs" with bands and friends around my area
      The bullshit idea to being "signed" to Atlantic (Now defunct to some degree. haha, still was fun regardless of being strung along by some BSer there)
      Ozzfest 95' and seeing Danzig for the first time as a youth. The man had a aura that I respect regardless of the blackaciddevil release and still to this day.
      Testament shortly after and just going all out.
      Seeing Megadeth in Asbury Park with the (bullshit)Misfits. Being star struck seeing Mustaine (rare here but was a guitar idol to me). Was a wicked night.
      Hanging out with Paradise Lost on their tour with Opeth (which I didn't care for at the time so had plenty of time to chill with my faves).
      The cruise was a awesome high that will never leave my mind.

These all seem simple, but it is the place, location, and the memory for whatever reason it decides to stick. As with Bell, I always had a love with astronomy and space exploration but my memories are less awesome (I.e. space camp) hehe :beerwink:
  • AlaskaRachel
    Lieutenant-Commander

by AlaskaRachel » Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:41 am

I'm seriously jealous of all of you who have these amazing experiences at concerts. My concert attendance list is pretty short and not very impressive. But I've had some pretty amazing camping experiences:

Living in Talkeetna, Alaska for summer 2008. I had no running water, no electricity, and serious bear issues. But I got to roll over every morning and see Denali out my cabin window :cool:

Driving from Anchorage, AK to Seattle, WA and back last summer. Almost 6000 miles total and one month of sleeping in a tent with my buddy. (Like always, I had bear issues. I swear that species is out to get me.) The parts of this trip that made it amazing were the people we met, the landscape, the bars, the non-bear wildlife, and the random oddities we saw along the way (e.g. fossilized dinosaur tracks, abandoned coal mines, nudists, etc).
Post Reply 13 posts Page 1 of 1