Post Reply 1468 posts
Gamers
    feanorfelagund
    Crewman

Re: Gamers

by feanorfelagund » Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:27 pm

Got my hands on an Oculus rift dev kit 2. Half life 2 and a bunch of oculus demos. Crazy stuff! :ugeek:
    "Mirror mirror on the wall
    True hope lies beyond the coast
    You're a damned kind, can't you see
    That tomorrow bears insanity?"
  • sageoftruth
    Lieutenant

by sageoftruth » Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:41 am

feanorfelagund wrote:Got my hands on an Oculus rift dev kit 2. Half life 2 and a bunch of oculus demos. Crazy stuff! :ugeek:

How is it? Would a nausea-prone guy like me be able to handle it?
  • Monmisreal
    Lieutenant

by Monmisreal » Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:44 am

feanorfelagund wrote:Got my hands on an Oculus rift dev kit 2. Half life 2 and a bunch of oculus demos. Crazy stuff! :ugeek:

Wicked! Id want one but know the motion sickness would get to me on certain games. You really need to try that thing out with The Forest. That would make for an extremely intense experience.
    feanorfelagund
    Crewman

by feanorfelagund » Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:06 am

sageoftruth wrote:How is it? Would a nausea-prone guy like me be able to handle it?

Firstly, it is awesome! It's so much more than just 'really 3d'. It's like you're in it. There's something about the way your brain reacts to it that tells you that it is the real world which is quite something. My mate had a go on the rollercoaster sim and it made him feel sick for the next few hours, though he hates rollercoasters and is prone to motion sickness. I'm not and I found myself trying (successfully) to make myself feel like i was on a rollercoaster just by tilting my head slightly at the right times.

I think anyone would eventually get used to it, imagine if you had never been in a car until now, it would probably give you motion sickness. I think viewing media has always promted some level of 'disassociation'. The difference with oculus is that your brain tells you the media is real and the feeling that you are just sitting in a chair with goggles on is the fake part. That's the best way I can describe it :lol:
  • alex_canada
    Ensign

by alex_canada » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:04 pm

Got a Wii U in preparation for the new smash brothers. Beat Mario 3d World too easily, toyed around a bit with Kart, but Donkey Kong Country is like the dark souls of platformer games...I'm an experienced gamer and I've spent hours on some of the secret stages. I wish more games were brutally hard, but fair.
    3 Inches of Blood, Amon Amarth, Andrew WK, Be'lakor, Blind Guardian, Ne Obliviscaris, Nightwish, Unleash the Archers, Wuthering Heights
  • DJ Old Man Stares
    Midshipman

by DJ Old Man Stares » Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:29 am

EpidemicReign wrote:Image

3 more days :D

Just bought it yesterday. Not playing it yet, but I certainly will soon.
    Wishlist: Razor, Sacrifice, Laaz Rockit, Mekong Delta, Flames (GRC), Bal Sagoth, Running Wild, Sodom, Paradox, Exciter, Dark Angel, Sadus, Attacker, Believer, Emperor, Skelator, Spellcaster, Aeternus, Holy Moses, Setherial
  • Monmisreal
    Lieutenant

by Monmisreal » Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:40 pm

Any of you going to be playing Destiny or Arche Age? I will have a ton of free time coming up and depending on everything might be playing a lot of both so hit me up if you are!
  • sageoftruth
    Lieutenant

by sageoftruth » Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:02 pm

alex_canada wrote:Got a Wii U in preparation for the new smash brothers. Beat Mario 3d World too easily, toyed around a bit with Kart, but Donkey Kong Country is like the dark souls of platformer games...I'm an experienced gamer and I've spent hours on some of the secret stages. I wish more games were brutally hard, but fair.

I have that one. I'd like it more if not for the motion control requirements. Shaking the wii mote should not be a substitute for a button press, especially one that requires timing. I also had a small gripe with the bonus areas. Why did they have to recycle the same bonus areas over and over? In the Super Nintendo games, they had unique ones for every level.
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Sun Sep 07, 2014 3:15 pm

ELDER SCROLLS 6 ARGONIA GET HYPE
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band
    www.facebook.com/Apprenticemetal

I run a festival
    https://www.facebook.com/events/2854966994515383
    feanorfelagund
    Crewman

by feanorfelagund » Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:16 am

Stained Class wrote:ELDER SCROLLS 6 ARGONIA GET HYPE

I thought argonians live in black marshes. Also I heard tes6 was going to be in elseweyre with the kajeets. What's your source?
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:05 am

feanorfelagund wrote:

I thought argonians live in black marshes. Also I heard tes6 was going to be in elseweyre with the kajeets. What's your source?

Black Marsh is aka Argonia. Where did you hear that? I would like it to be multiple provinces actually, give it a little more variety than the last 2 had. Here's the link I saw: http://www.kdramastars.com/articles/359 ... firmed.htm it could very easily be fake it's not an official source or anything but it seems believable for March 2016.
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band

I run a festival
    CountArioch
    Petty Officer

by CountArioch » Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:03 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-iITrqRLoE

Still, more cute argonian ladies would be a welcome addition to the next elder scrolls game...
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:56 pm

feanorfelagund wrote:

http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/the-e ... 453584943/ is that what you were thinking of? ;)
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band

I run a festival
    feanorfelagund
    Crewman

by feanorfelagund » Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:09 am

Stained Class wrote:
    feanorfelagund wrote:

http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/the-e ... 453584943/ is that what you were thinking of? ;)

Haha, no. but my source was about as credible. Personally I thought they'd do Hammerfell next because of all the reference in Skyrim, although i'd vote for black marsh anyday as it's a tropical landscape which I think could make use of some badass graphics. If only they'd go back to Morrowind gameplay ... :ugeek:
  • sageoftruth
    Lieutenant

by sageoftruth » Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:45 am

feanorfelagund wrote:
    Stained Class wrote:
    feanorfelagund wrote:

Haha, no. but my source was about as credible. Personally I thought they'd do Hammerfell next because of all the reference in Skyrim, although i'd vote for black marsh anyday as it's a tropical landscape which I think could make use of some badass graphics. If only they'd go back to Morrowind gameplay ... :ugeek:

I wonder what the Black Marsh version of the Elder Scrolls theme music would sound like.
    feanorfelagund
    Crewman

by feanorfelagund » Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:42 am

Got the new LOTR game. Non LOTR fans are saying it's good and it sounds as if it's Tolkien lore friendly... bet there's no Blind Guardian on the soundtrack
    CountArioch
    Petty Officer

by CountArioch » Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:13 am

I've been playing some Destiny lately. So far I've been enjoying it.
  • Feanorgandalf
    Chief Petty Officer

by Feanorgandalf » Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:17 am

CountArioch wrote:I've been playing some Destiny lately. So far I've been enjoying it.

Loot cave
    CountArioch
    Petty Officer

by CountArioch » Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:31 am

No more loot cave, it's been nerfed.

I finally go to Mars, and the Cabal looks fucking retarded. They look like a bunch of fatasses jumping all over the place, gliding slowly while I shoot them out of the fucking air. Maybe if they spent more time learning battle tactics and less time eating all the fucking pies then maybe they would impress me more.
  • sageoftruth
    Lieutenant

by sageoftruth » Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:20 pm

CountArioch wrote:I've been playing some Destiny lately. So far I've been enjoying it.

That's the first positive statement I've heard about Destiny since it got released.
    CountArioch
    Petty Officer

by CountArioch » Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:14 pm

sageoftruth wrote:

That's the first positive statement I've heard about Destiny since it got released.

I think that's due to a lot of reasons. I don't really play shooters (the last shooter I really played was Bioshock. Tried out the Borderlands games and didn't like them that much). I also don't really pay much attention to game journalists and was unaware of the hype surrounding the game. I was expecting to play a guy that shoots aleins and doesnt afraid of anything, and that's what I got. Plus some pretty environments, and the ability to carry more than 2 weapons (I hate that. I carry one of each type everywhere, plus fusion rifles and shotguns of every damage type for shielded enemies. Yes, I know it's unrealistic because guns are fucking heavy, but if I want realism I'll go play Desert Bus).
  • Phoenix
    Lieutenant

by Phoenix » Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:45 pm

CountArioch wrote:I think that's due to a lot of reasons. I don't really play shooters (the last shooter I really played was Bioshock. Tried out the Borderlands games and didn't like them that much). I also don't really pay much attention to game journalists and was unaware of the hype surrounding the game. I was expecting to play a guy that shoots aleins and doesnt afraid of anything, and that's what I got. Plus some pretty environments, and the ability to carry more than 2 weapons (I hate that. I carry one of each type everywhere, plus fusion rifles and shotguns of every damage type for shielded enemies. Yes, I know it's unrealistic because guns are fucking heavy, but if I want realism I'll go play Desert Bus).

Wait, if you didn't like Borderlands, why do you like Destiny? Random loot drops is a Borderlands thing, Destiny has been explained to me as a cross between HALO and BLands. It's the reason I'm not really interested.

Survivor:
    Out for 2023
  • klons
    Chief Petty Officer

by klons » Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:14 pm

Phoenix wrote:
    CountArioch wrote:I think that's due to a lot of reasons. I don't really play shooters (the last shooter I really played was Bioshock. Tried out the Borderlands games and didn't like them that much). I also don't really pay much attention to game journalists and was unaware of the hype surrounding the game. I was expecting to play a guy that shoots aleins and doesnt afraid of anything, and that's what I got. Plus some pretty environments, and the ability to carry more than 2 weapons (I hate that. I carry one of each type everywhere, plus fusion rifles and shotguns of every damage type for shielded enemies. Yes, I know it's unrealistic because guns are fucking heavy, but if I want realism I'll go play Desert Bus).

Wait, if you didn't like Borderlands, why do you like Destiny? Random loot drops is a Borderlands thing, Destiny has been explained to me as a cross between HALO and BLands. It's the reason I'm not really interested.

MMO Halo x Borderlands. I HIGHLY dislike the fact that aside the strikes (instance/raid for the game) that you're always with other people on the map, even if seemingly limited.

Borderlands at least had it's seemingly limitless possibilities for loot drop, Destiny seems to me like it has less than Diablo 1.
    2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 Survivor.
    CountArioch
    Petty Officer

by CountArioch » Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:17 pm

I didn't like Borderlands because it didn't feel like I had control over where my bullets went. It's like there was some stat making them fly all over the place. Other than shooting things point blank with a shotgun, I couldn't manage to hit anything in Borderlands. In Destiny, I feel like my bullets are going where I am aiming, and other than bad guys moving or recoil or other obvious factor they pretty much fly straight.

The story in Borderlands was great, but I was tired of not being able to hit anything at any range other than point-blank.

EDIT: for the inevitable "I play borderlands and hit things just fine" comments, your experience doesn't change my experience, and if you want a cookie I suggest you go to the store and buy some.
  • Phoenix
    Lieutenant

by Phoenix » Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:33 pm

CountArioch wrote:I didn't like Borderlands because it didn't feel like I had control over where my bullets went. It's like there was some stat making them fly all over the place. Other than shooting things point blank with a shotgun, I couldn't manage to hit anything in Borderlands. In Destiny, I feel like my bullets are going where I am aiming, and other than bad guys moving or recoil or other obvious factor they pretty much fly straight.

The story in Borderlands was great, but I was tired of not being able to hit anything at any range other than point-blank.

EDIT: for the inevitable "I play borderlands and hit things just fine" comments, your experience doesn't change my experience, and if you want a cookie I suggest you go to the store and buy some.

Which is understandable, I just would like to ask if you played the original Borderlands on a console or a PC? I had similar issues until I did some .ini tweaks in my PC version, and even then the game was only really good because I was able to play with friends. Dreaful port, though at least they were smart enough to take out aim assist (though from the sounds of it BLands never had aim assist to begin with) where Bioshock Infinite did not.

Survivor:
    Out for 2023
    CountArioch
    Petty Officer

by CountArioch » Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:34 pm

Phoenix wrote:
    CountArioch wrote:I didn't like Borderlands because it didn't feel like I had control over where my bullets went. It's like there was some stat making them fly all over the place. Other than shooting things point blank with a shotgun, I couldn't manage to hit anything in Borderlands. In Destiny, I feel like my bullets are going where I am aiming, and other than bad guys moving or recoil or other obvious factor they pretty much fly straight.

Which is understandable, I just would like to ask if you played the original Borderlands on a console or a PC? I had similar issues until I did some .ini tweaks in my PC version, and even then the game was only really good because I was able to play with friends. Dreaful port, though at least they were smart enough to take out aim assist (though from the sounds of it BLands never had aim assist to begin with) where Bioshock Infinite did not.

Borderlands 1: Xbox

Borderlands 2: PC
  • Phoenix
    Lieutenant

by Phoenix » Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:37 pm

CountArioch wrote:

Mmm, yeah that can't have helped... I find it impossible to hit ANYTHING in an FPS game with an xbox controller. PS3 is sliiiightly better.

Anyway, I was just curious what about Destiny you enjoyed if you didn't like Borderlands. It's good that Destiny has a better combat system for sure, I did find Blands (especially 2) get simultaneously really boring and frustrating after a while.

Survivor:
    Out for 2023
    CountArioch
    Petty Officer

by CountArioch » Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:19 pm

Phoenix wrote:
    CountArioch wrote:

Mmm, yeah that can't have helped... I find it impossible to hit ANYTHING in an FPS game with an xbox controller. PS3 is sliiiightly better.

Anyway, I was just curious what about Destiny you enjoyed if you didn't like Borderlands. It's good that Destiny has a better combat system for sure, I did find Blands (especially 2) get simultaneously really boring and frustrating after a while.

No problem. My apologies for the defensive tone, I'm used to being attacked for having unpopular opinions about video games.
  • Phoenix
    Lieutenant

by Phoenix » Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:43 pm

CountArioch wrote:
    No problem. My apologies for the defensive tone, I'm used to being attacked for having unpopular opinions about video games.

Hey, I just admitted to disliking Bioshock Infinite. I'm right there with you.

Survivor:
    Out for 2023
  • sageoftruth
    Lieutenant

by sageoftruth » Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:32 am

CountArioch wrote:
    sageoftruth wrote:

I think that's due to a lot of reasons. I don't really play shooters (the last shooter I really played was Bioshock. Tried out the Borderlands games and didn't like them that much). I also don't really pay much attention to game journalists and was unaware of the hype surrounding the game. I was expecting to play a guy that shoots aleins and doesnt afraid of anything, and that's what I got. Plus some pretty environments, and the ability to carry more than 2 weapons (I hate that. I carry one of each type everywhere, plus fusion rifles and shotguns of every damage type for shielded enemies. Yes, I know it's unrealistic because guns are fucking heavy, but if I want realism I'll go play Desert Bus).

Well said. People who want realism can go play "Train Simulator". Realism had novelty, when games first started using it, but that's all it was... novelty.

Anyway, I guess the hype really did have a huge role in the disappointment so many people had for the game. Also, kudos for them not limiting you to two guns. I was so sick of that trend. I didn't think a game released by Bungie knew any better.
    CountArioch
    Petty Officer

by CountArioch » Sat Oct 04, 2014 2:11 pm

sageoftruth wrote:
    Well said. People who want realism can go play "Train Simulator". Realism had novelty, when games first started using it, but that's all it was... novelty.

Anyway, I guess the hype really did have a huge role in the disappointment so many people had for the game. Also, kudos for them not limiting you to two guns. I was so sick of that trend. I didn't think a game released by Bungie knew any better.

You have three types of guns: primary, secondary, and heavy, You can hotkey one of each for quick changing. You can carry (as far as I can tell) 9 of each type. Now switching your secondary or heavy weapon out halves your ammo (secondary and heavy weapons tend to be very powerful), but switching your primary does not penalize you in any way.

Secondary and heavy weapons tend to have different types of damage (arc, solar, and void). These deal more damage to certain types of enemy shields, so it's useful to keep a variety (My favorite secondary weapon is the Fusion Rifle, and I try to keep one of each type in order to take out enemy shields quickly).

Typically, I roll with a hand cannon (slow to shoot, decent range and heavy damage, very punishing critical hits), fusion rifles (mid-ranged and heavily damaging, but it takes a second to charge to fire and they take a bit of practice to use), and missile launcher (slow, but punishing and damages everything in an area). If I know I'm going to be fighting the Swarm I'll switch the Fusion Rifle with a Shotgun as the Swarm loves to get into melee range with you, and the shotgun is the best way to discourage that behavior (most damaging short-ranged weapon, but not very useful more than a few meters out). I used to switch in Scout Rifles for my primary because they have better range than the hand cannon, but hand cannons deal so much critical damage that if you can pick off headshots from across the zone with no zoom, it honestly doesn't matter that damage is penalized.
    Wicker Man
    Petty Officer

by Wicker Man » Sun Oct 05, 2014 5:02 pm

Just a reminder for those who are not in the 70k steam group, come join us! http://steamcommunity.com/groups/70000tons
    The shadow of the Wicker Man is rising up again!
  • Phoenix
    Lieutenant

by Phoenix » Sun Oct 05, 2014 5:52 pm

Wicker Man wrote:Just a reminder for those who are not in the 70k steam group, come join us! http://steamcommunity.com/groups/70000tons

Done. I'm online all the damn time, haha

Survivor:
    Out for 2023
  • sageoftruth
    Lieutenant

by sageoftruth » Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:31 pm

Wicker Man wrote:Just a reminder for those who are not in the 70k steam group, come join us! http://steamcommunity.com/groups/70000tons

Thanks. I just signed up.
  • sageoftruth
    Lieutenant

by sageoftruth » Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:32 pm

While we're on the subject of Destiny, has anyone seen the new Destiny "Honest Trailer"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUIvhQPPCRg

Funny stuff.
    CountArioch
    Petty Officer

by CountArioch » Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:54 am

sageoftruth wrote:While we're on the subject of Destiny, has anyone seen the new Destiny "Honest Trailer"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUIvhQPPCRg

Funny stuff.

Nice,
  • sageoftruth
    Lieutenant

by sageoftruth » Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:34 am

This week I decided to fire up my old PS2 to play some Persona 4. I forgot how great that game was. I spent about 5 hours on it yesterday. I'm planning to beat it and enter New Game+ so I can max out all social links by the end.
  • Feanorgandalf
    Chief Petty Officer

by Feanorgandalf » Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:02 pm

sageoftruth wrote:This week I decided to fire up my old PS2 to play some Persona 4. I forgot how great that game was. I spent about 5 hours on it yesterday. I'm planning to beat it and enter New Game+ so I can max out all social links by the end.

So many good games on that system. I loved Persona, Xenosaga games, Shadow of the Colossus, ICO, God of War. Such an amazing system with too many good games. sadly it was the generation that started to destroy everything i ever loved about final fantasy games
  • Phoenix
    Lieutenant

by Phoenix » Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:37 pm

Feanorgandalf wrote:
    sageoftruth wrote:This week I decided to fire up my old PS2 to play some Persona 4. I forgot how great that game was. I spent about 5 hours on it yesterday. I'm planning to beat it and enter New Game+ so I can max out all social links by the end.

So many good games on that system. I loved Persona, Xenosaga games, Shadow of the Colossus, ICO, God of War. Such an amazing system with too many good games. sadly it was the generation that started to destroy everything i ever loved about final fantasy games

^ So much of this. Final Fantasy X was the last one I truly loved. Squeenix will have a lot to do to try and win me back with XV.

I loved the PS2, but I was one of the ones that had greater love for the Gamecube. Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance was enough to make that console worth it.

Survivor:
    Out for 2023
  • klons
    Chief Petty Officer

by klons » Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:02 pm

Feanorgandalf wrote:sadly it was the generation that started to destroy everything i ever loved about final fantasy games

Ugh, this.

As a completionist, I literally threw X out the window once I realized the last tier of weapons broke the traditional damage barrier. Complete and utter bullshit, beating what should be the last boss in a single hit.

My one biggest and eternal gripe with current gen gaming is that the more traditional JRPGs no longer exist. I miss the days of actual stories, turn based combat and 60+ hour single player epics... :cry:

SNES.. now that was the golden age.
    2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 Survivor.
Post Reply 1468 posts