Post Reply 559 posts
movies
    mooyagi
    Captain

Re: movies

by mooyagi » Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:17 am

Of course we joke about Canadians (rightfully so) but the US really does have some ridiculous accents too.
    I should get around to updating my signature
    Jaimie38
    Lieutenant

by Jaimie38 » Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:30 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYn3TUmpKO8

Fubar 2 Movie Trailer--this ia ALL ya need to know about the Western Canadian Accent.

GIV"R!!!!!! :pound:
    9 Time Vet.
    Wishlist-West of Hell,Hibria,Powerwolf,WASP,DioDisciples,Loudness,
    DangerousToys,Triumph,UDO,SkullFIST,Kobra&theLotus,
    TheOrderofChaos,Diemonds,Riot City, WMD,Demons & Wizards,Liv Sin,Suicidal Angels,Dee Snider
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:39 am

Jaimie38 wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYn3TUmpKO8

Fubar 2 Movie Trailer--this ia ALL ya need to know about the Western Canadian Accent.

Yup, sounds like Marlo :D
  • vikingbitch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by vikingbitch » Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:39 pm

mooyagi wrote:

Asshole :roll:
    SURVIVOR: 70K2011, 70K2012, BTH2012, 70K2013 & 70K2014. NEXT UP: 70K2015
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:00 pm

vikingbitch wrote:
    mooyagi wrote:

Asshole :roll:

Now I can't read any of your posts without reading them in your ridiculous accent. :P
    DrinkMoxie
    Commander

by DrinkMoxie » Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:32 pm

Sean Connery has made a LOT of movies...
    THIS is one of them.
    a really really really really weird one that I couldn't quite describe to you in any way that makes any sense to a sane person
    ACanorousQuintet-AblazeMySorrow-Acrassicauda-Aephanemer-Agalloch-Alligator-Amsvartner-Anacrusis-Anata-...AndOceans-AngelusApatrida-ArmoredSaint-Atoma-Bal*Sagoth-Bethzaida-BlackEarth-BlackKirin-BoltThrower-Borknagar-BurdenOfGrief-BuriedDreams-CallenishCircle-Candiria-CarBomb-Carcariass-CardinalSin-CarnalForge-CeremonialOath-Cloak-ComposMentis-ConditionCritical-Conjurer-CrestOfDarkness-Crisis-Crisix-Crowpath-Cryptosis-Cyclone-Dagon-Damaged-DarkAngel-Darkane-DaylightDies-Deadguy-Deep-DemolitionHammer-DescendIntoNothingness-DestroyJudas-Devastation-Devil'sForce-DewScented-DimensionF3H-DimensionZero-Dispatched-Downpour-Dyscarnate-EbonyTears-EdgeOfSanity-End-EndOfGreen-EphelDuath-EpochOfUnlight-EternalLies-EternalTearsOfSorrow-Eucharist-Euphoreon-Excretion-Exhorder-EyesOfFire-FiresInTheDistance-Firewind-Flying-Folkearth-FragmentsOfUnbecoming-FrostyEve-Gardenian-GatesOfIshtar-Gnostic-GodForbid-Gojira-GospelOfTheWitches-Graveripper-GreenCarnation-GreySkiesFallen-Greywalker-Grimfist-Hacride-Hinayana-Host-Hypocrisy-Illogicist-Impious-In~Quest-InThousandLakes-InThyDreams-InsanityAlert-Itself-Jaldaboath-JulieLaughsNomore-Kull-LakeOfTears-LegionOfTheDamned-LightThisCity-LordHumungous-Majesties-ManipulatedSlaves-MeadowsEnd-MentalHome-Mindrot-Minsk-Miscreant-MMXX-MorbidSaint-Morgion-MortalVision-MotherOfAll-MyHiddenSin-Myrath-NailWithin-NeglectedFields-Neurosis-NightInGales-Nightfall-Norther-Nostromo-Nothgard-Nothnegal-November17-Nyktophobia-Onslaught-Oubliette-Powerwolf-PreHumanVaults-ReArmed-RedHarvest-RitualSacrifice-RiverBlack-Sacrifice-Sadus-SamBlackChurch-Scarve-Seducer'sEmbrace-SevendayCurse-Shadow-ShadowsFall-Shangren-ShoresOfIthaka-Sigh-Sikasa-Silva-SinsOfOmission-SkidRow(w/SebastianBach)-Skyfire-Slumber-Solefald-SolemnVision-Solstice-SpiralArchitect-StarViper-SubterraneanMasquerade-SuicidalTendencies-TerraOdium-Terror2000-Testament-TheAbsence-TheCircle-TheCrown-TheForsaken-TheExcrementoryGrindfuckers-TheZephyr-ThisEnding-Tribulation-UnleashTheArchers-UponStone-ViciousBlade-Vinterland-Vintersorg-Warmen-Whispered-Whitesnake-WhiteZombie-WitheredBeauty-WitheringSurface-Witherscape-WithoutGrief-Wraith-XCops-Xentrix-Zimmer'sHole

cabin 3013 (2012)
    cabin 9560 (2014)
    cabin 8671 (2015)
    cabin 7313 (2017)
    cabin 6525 (2018)
    cabin 2376 (2024)
  • KDibildeaux
    Captain

by KDibildeaux » Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:59 pm

mooyagi wrote:
    DrinkMoxie wrote:yeah, Canadians have a funny accent, but (I think you'll agree with me Mooyagi) I'll take the Canadian accent over the brutal thick hardcore Southie Boston accent... I've had a girl blather at me for 5 minutes and the only thing I knew for sure was that she thought she knew how to speak with her mouth

:lol: Very few things make a girl less attractive than a thick Southie accent.

I always wonder if you, Andy and Sage have the Boston accent I've heard. Makes me kinda chuckle picturing that :lol:
    La sabiduría me persigue................pero yo soy más rápida
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:02 pm

KDibildox wrote:
    mooyagi wrote:
    DrinkMoxie wrote:yeah, Canadians have a funny accent, but (I think you'll agree with me Mooyagi) I'll take the Canadian accent over the brutal thick hardcore Southie Boston accent... I've had a girl blather at me for 5 minutes and the only thing I knew for sure was that she thought she knew how to speak with her mouth

I always wonder if you, Andy and Sage have the Boston accent I've heard. Makes me kinda chuckle picturing that :lol:

Andy and I will go overbroad with it just for you. It really only comes out for me when I'm drunk or pissed off.
  • KDibildeaux
    Captain

by KDibildeaux » Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:07 pm

mooyagi wrote:
    KDibildox wrote:
    mooyagi wrote:

Andy and I will go overbroad with it just for you. It really only comes out for me when I'm drunk or pissed off.[/quote]
    Uh oh! haha that's just gonna be funny. I just can't picture the two of you with with from reading your posts (I just picture my accent on anyone who is a native English speaker haha).
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:11 pm

KDibildox wrote:I just picture my accent on anyone who is a native English speaker haha.

Yes, we all sound like this guy

• KDibildeaux
    Captain

by KDibildeaux » Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:14 pm

mooyagi wrote:
    KDibildox wrote:I just picture my accent on anyone who is a native English speaker haha.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

More like the Maryland accent.
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:17 pm

KDibildox wrote:
    mooyagi wrote:

More like the Maryland accent.

There are so many accents in the US. Even Boston has a bunch of different ones.
  • KDibildeaux
    Captain

by KDibildeaux » Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:19 pm

well yeah...... hm......... I consider the Maryland accent fairly neutral. Actually, the one here in Arizona is pretty similar.
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:22 pm

KDibildox wrote:well yeah...... hm......... I consider the Maryland accent fairly neutral. Actually, the one here in Arizona is pretty similar.

I'll have to hear you speak so I can make fun of you :mrgreen:
  • KDibildeaux
    Captain

by KDibildeaux » Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:25 pm

Feel free. Most of the time people don't notice an accent. Only when I say I grew up in Mexico they magically start hearing one, hah. Though if really drunk I have been known to start mixing languages :lol:
    DrinkMoxie
    Commander

by DrinkMoxie » Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:27 pm

mooyagi wrote:
    KDibildox wrote:
    mooyagi wrote:

Andy and I will go overbroad with it just for you. It really only comes out for me when I'm drunk or pissed off.

I never picked up the Boston accent... but I can throw a mean Maine farmer!
    ACanorousQuintet-AblazeMySorrow-Acrassicauda-Aephanemer-Agalloch-Alligator-Amsvartner-Anacrusis-Anata-...AndOceans-AngelusApatrida-ArmoredSaint-Atoma-Bal*Sagoth-Bethzaida-BlackEarth-BlackKirin-BoltThrower-Borknagar-BurdenOfGrief-BuriedDreams-CallenishCircle-Candiria-CarBomb-Carcariass-CardinalSin-CarnalForge-CeremonialOath-Cloak-ComposMentis-ConditionCritical-Conjurer-CrestOfDarkness-Crisis-Crisix-Crowpath-Cryptosis-Cyclone-Dagon-Damaged-DarkAngel-Darkane-DaylightDies-Deadguy-Deep-DemolitionHammer-DescendIntoNothingness-DestroyJudas-Devastation-Devil'sForce-DewScented-DimensionF3H-DimensionZero-Dispatched-Downpour-Dyscarnate-EbonyTears-EdgeOfSanity-End-EndOfGreen-EphelDuath-EpochOfUnlight-EternalLies-EternalTearsOfSorrow-Eucharist-Euphoreon-Excretion-Exhorder-EyesOfFire-FiresInTheDistance-Firewind-Flying-Folkearth-FragmentsOfUnbecoming-FrostyEve-Gardenian-GatesOfIshtar-Gnostic-GodForbid-Gojira-GospelOfTheWitches-Graveripper-GreenCarnation-GreySkiesFallen-Greywalker-Grimfist-Hacride-Hinayana-Host-Hypocrisy-Illogicist-Impious-In~Quest-InThousandLakes-InThyDreams-InsanityAlert-Itself-Jaldaboath-JulieLaughsNomore-Kull-LakeOfTears-LegionOfTheDamned-LightThisCity-LordHumungous-Majesties-ManipulatedSlaves-MeadowsEnd-MentalHome-Mindrot-Minsk-Miscreant-MMXX-MorbidSaint-Morgion-MortalVision-MotherOfAll-MyHiddenSin-Myrath-NailWithin-NeglectedFields-Neurosis-NightInGales-Nightfall-Norther-Nostromo-Nothgard-Nothnegal-November17-Nyktophobia-Onslaught-Oubliette-Powerwolf-PreHumanVaults-ReArmed-RedHarvest-RitualSacrifice-RiverBlack-Sacrifice-Sadus-SamBlackChurch-Scarve-Seducer'sEmbrace-SevendayCurse-Shadow-ShadowsFall-Shangren-ShoresOfIthaka-Sigh-Sikasa-Silva-SinsOfOmission-SkidRow(w/SebastianBach)-Skyfire-Slumber-Solefald-SolemnVision-Solstice-SpiralArchitect-StarViper-SubterraneanMasquerade-SuicidalTendencies-TerraOdium-Terror2000-Testament-TheAbsence-TheCircle-TheCrown-TheForsaken-TheExcrementoryGrindfuckers-TheZephyr-ThisEnding-Tribulation-UnleashTheArchers-UponStone-ViciousBlade-Vinterland-Vintersorg-Warmen-Whispered-Whitesnake-WhiteZombie-WitheredBeauty-WitheringSurface-Witherscape-WithoutGrief-Wraith-XCops-Xentrix-Zimmer'sHole

cabin 3013 (2012)
    cabin 9560 (2014)
    cabin 8671 (2015)
    cabin 7313 (2017)
    cabin 6525 (2018)
    cabin 2376 (2024)
  • KDibildeaux
    Captain

by KDibildeaux » Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:27 pm

I don't even know what that sounds like :lol:
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:29 pm

DrinkMoxie wrote:
    mooyagi wrote:
    KDibildox wrote:I always wonder if you, Andy and Sage have the Boston accent I've heard. Makes me kinda chuckle picturing that :lol:

I never picked up the Boston accent... but I can throw a mean Maine farmer!

:lol: :lol: :lol: I gotta hear you do that one! Crazy Mainenites.
    DrinkMoxie
    Commander

by DrinkMoxie » Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:33 pm

KDibildox wrote:I don't even know what that sounds like :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5pCsyXjESY&t=8m17s (should start at 8m17s)

cabin 3013 (2012)
    cabin 9560 (2014)
    cabin 8671 (2015)
    cabin 7313 (2017)
    cabin 6525 (2018)
    cabin 2376 (2024)
    DrinkMoxie
    Commander

by DrinkMoxie » Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:34 pm

mooyagi wrote: :lol: :lol: :lol: I gotta hear you do that one! Crazy Mainenites.

*Maineiacs

cabin 3013 (2012)
    cabin 9560 (2014)
    cabin 8671 (2015)
    cabin 7313 (2017)
    cabin 6525 (2018)
    cabin 2376 (2024)
  • KDibildeaux
    Captain

by KDibildeaux » Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:39 pm

DrinkMoxie wrote:
    KDibildox wrote:I don't even know what that sounds like :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5pCsyXjESY&t=8m17s (should start at 8m17s)

hahaah oh man
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:55 pm

This site seems pretty cool if you wanna see a collection of accents from English speakers all over the world

http://web.ku.edu/~idea/dialectmap.htm
    doomguy
    Sub-Lieutenant

by doomguy » Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:06 pm

What I don't understand about accents, is when we (NZ'ers) say some letters, for example E, to Americans it sounds like an I. To test this, last time I was there someone asked me to say SEVEN, and told me it sounded like I was saying SIVIN. Not sure how this works? 'Cause i'm pretty sure we pronounce the letters correctly, American's just hear it wrong. Because when I hear another Kiwi say the same letters, the pronunciation to me sounds exactly how it should be. So how can they be hearing it differently?
    2012: 2093
    2015: 8671
    2016: 7515

2019 Wishlist:
    AHAB-Alcest-AbigailWilliams-AlienWeaponry-Borknagar-Candlemass-ClaudioSimonetti'sGoblin-Damnation'sDay-DavidMaximMicic-DiabloSwingOrchestra-MournfulCongregation-Om-ProphetsOfRage-Sevendust-Silvertomb-SleepTerror-SunnO)))-TheContortionist-VanCanto
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:09 pm

Conrad wrote:What I don't understand about accents, is when we (NZ'ers) say some letters, for example E, to Americans it sounds like an I. To test this, last time I was there someone asked me to say SEVEN, and told me it sounded like I was saying SIVIN. Not sure how this works? 'Cause i'm pretty sure we pronounce the letters correctly, American's just hear it wrong. Because when I hear another Kiwi say the same letters, the pronunciation to me sounds exactly how it should be. So how can they be hearing it differently?

I can picture a kiwi saying seven and it definitely sounds like sivin. How do you pronounce your I's?

Here's a clip with how Seven is pronounced in American English: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRUdaWZ4FN0
    doomguy
    Sub-Lieutenant

by doomguy » Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:25 pm

mooyagi wrote:
    Conrad wrote:What I don't understand about accents, is when we (NZ'ers) say some letters, for example E, to Americans it sounds like an I. To test this, last time I was there someone asked me to say SEVEN, and told me it sounded like I was saying SIVIN. Not sure how this works? 'Cause i'm pretty sure we pronounce the letters correctly, American's just hear it wrong. Because when I hear another Kiwi say the same letters, the pronunciation to me sounds exactly how it should be. So how can they be hearing it differently?

I can picture a kiwi saying seven and it definitely sounds like sivin. How do you pronounce your I's?

Here's a clip with how Seven is pronounced in American English: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRUdaWZ4FN0

That's the confusing part, because that's exactly how we'd say it. And I's are pronounced here how they're supposed to, as in "Sivin". So apparently I's and E's sound the same.

Very similar to how Aussies confuse the I's and the U's. A classic example, when we say "Fish and Chips" they think we're saying "Fush and Chups". But I've never heard another Kiwi say it like that...

2019 Wishlist:
    AHAB-Alcest-AbigailWilliams-AlienWeaponry-Borknagar-Candlemass-ClaudioSimonetti'sGoblin-Damnation'sDay-DavidMaximMicic-DiabloSwingOrchestra-MournfulCongregation-Om-ProphetsOfRage-Sevendust-Silvertomb-SleepTerror-SunnO)))-TheContortionist-VanCanto
  • KDibildeaux
    Captain

by KDibildeaux » Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:35 pm

mooyagi wrote:This site seems pretty cool if you wanna see a collection of accents from English speakers all over the world

http://web.ku.edu/~idea/dialectmap.htm

That's pretty cool, thanks!
  • vikingbitch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by vikingbitch » Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:08 pm

Conrad wrote:
    mooyagi wrote:

That's the confusing part, because that's exactly how we'd say it. And I's are pronounced here how they're supposed to, as in "Sivin". So apparently I's and E's sound the same.

Very similar to how Aussies confuse the I's and the U's. A classic example, when we say "Fish and Chips" they think we're saying "Fush and Chups". But I've never heard another Kiwi say it like that...

American's are the same way with the letter "Z". Not uncommon for Ryan to randomly ask me to say "Z" or a word that has "Z" in it for giggles :roll:
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:14 pm

vikingbitch wrote:American's are the same way with the letter "Z". Not uncommon for Ryan to randomly ask me to say "Z" or a word that has "Z" in it for giggles :roll:

I don't recall ever asking you to say something with a Z in it. Mental note made though. Canadians talk funny. :D
  • vikingbitch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by vikingbitch » Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:20 pm

mooyagi wrote:
    vikingbitch wrote:American's are the same way with the letter "Z". Not uncommon for Ryan to randomly ask me to say "Z" or a word that has "Z" in it for giggles :roll:

I don't recall ever asking you to say something with a Z in it. Mental note made though. Canadians talk funny. :D

Phone call conversations. And in person. You have the memory of a pebble. Or a goat.
    doomguy
    Sub-Lieutenant

by doomguy » Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:56 pm

vikingbitch wrote:
    mooyagi wrote:

Phone call conversations. And in person. You have the memory of a pebble. Or a goat.

2019 Wishlist:
  • EvilDan
    Lieutenant

by EvilDan » Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:17 am

KDibildox wrote:Feel free. Most of the time people don't notice an accent. Only when I say I grew up in Mexico they magically start hearing one, hah. Though if really drunk I have been known to start mixing languages :lol:

I have actually wondered about your accent. Only Canadians seem to recognize that I'm from Texas. I don't really have an accent, until someone mentions it, then I get self-conscious, and it gets thicker. But man, some of the girls I've dated have had some seriously f'd up rural Texas accents. My ex-fiancee's was the worst.
    Never take anything I say seriously.

Am I Evil? I am Dan. Yes, I am! :twisted:
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:41 am

May 2012: Some Assembly Required

So excited...gonna b epic.

...I'm talking about the Avengers...
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band
    www.facebook.com/Apprenticemetal

I run a festival
    https://www.facebook.com/events/2854966994515383
    Bentz!
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Bentz! » Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:01 pm

Stained Class wrote:May 2012: Some Assembly Required

I still haven't seen Thor or Captain America. I'll get them on BD when they come out in a couple months.

These days I prefer to watch movies from my own couch with an adult beverage of choice. :whisky:
    Jaimie38
    Lieutenant

by Jaimie38 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:43 pm

Bentz! wrote:

I still haven't seen Thor or Captain America. I'll get them on BD when they come out in a couple months.

These days I prefer to watch ADULT movies from my own couch with a beverage of choice. :whisky:

um,.. Meredith............... :? :lol: :lol:
    9 Time Vet.
    TheOrderofChaos,Diemonds,Riot City, WMD,Demons & Wizards,Liv Sin,Suicidal Angels,Dee Snider
  • cycosurgeon
    Lieutenant

by cycosurgeon » Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:10 pm

Go see CONAN, support Robert E Howard and tell Hollywood you are sick of sissy Tolkien Fantasy..Just think how much better power metal would be without elves!
    2011: Cruise Survivor
    2012: Cruise & Forum Survivor

...So was Laura beside the chieftains
    like the bright-growing ash beside the thorn-bush...
  • KDibildeaux
    Captain

by KDibildeaux » Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:13 pm

EvilDan wrote:
    KDibildox wrote:Feel free. Most of the time people don't notice an accent. Only when I say I grew up in Mexico they magically start hearing one, hah. Though if really drunk I have been known to start mixing languages :lol:

I have actually wondered about your accent. Only Canadians seem to recognize that I'm from Texas. I don't really have an accent, until someone mentions it, then I get self-conscious, and it gets thicker. But man, some of the girls I've dated have had some seriously f'd up rural Texas accents. My ex-fiancee's was the worst.

Hm.... I don't think I usually get self-conscious. Did you try not to have the accent or just happen to be in an area without it?
    Last edited by KDibildeaux on Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Jaimie38
    Lieutenant

by Jaimie38 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:20 pm

I tend to really pay attention to accents(I' m a big geography geek) , but I tend to copy mannerisms and copy accents.If I do this to you, please just buy me a beer and tell me to shut it!! :lol:
    9 Time Vet.
  • KDibildeaux
    Captain

by KDibildeaux » Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:24 pm

Jaimie38 wrote:I tend to really pay attention to accents(I' m a big geography geek) , but I tend to copy mannerisms and copy accents.If I do this to you, please just buy me a beer and tell me to shut it!! :lol:

I noticed that if I hang with non native English speakers (say Finns or Germans) for some reason I start to pick up their mannerisms, too.
    Bentz!
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Bentz! » Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:24 pm

Jaimie38 wrote:
    Bentz! wrote:

These days I prefer to watch ADULT movies from my own couch with a beverage of choice. :whisky:

um,.. Meredith............... :? :lol: :lol:

Oh, we watch teh pron in bed together. :boobs: :wank:
    Jaimie38
    Lieutenant

by Jaimie38 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:31 pm

So THAT what Griffin Brands is!!!

Sorry Meredith..... :pound:
    9 Time Vet.
Post Reply 559 posts