Post Reply 2803 posts
Cheers + BIERS
    mooyagi
    Captain

Re: Cheers + BIERS

by mooyagi » Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:26 pm

Haandbryggeriet Costa Rica Coffee Porter. Quite good. The coffee may be a little bit too dominant but I'm enjoying this one. All the others I had tonight were duds, unfortunately.
    I should get around to updating my signature
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:53 am

Restaurant next to the hockey arena just got the Alaskan Smoked Porter in. Yay! Too bad hockey season's almost over.
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Sat May 23, 2015 6:32 pm

Finally got to visit Sentinel Peak Brewing Company here in Tucson. It was excellent. I really liked the hefeweizen, the rauchbier and the dunkel. The chili beer was very interesting. By far the hottest beer I have had so far. It was like drinking the chili peppers.
    Memnoch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Memnoch » Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:41 am

So after some beer ( :P ) pressure I finally went and created an account for Untappd almost three weeks ago. So far I've had 59 "unique" beers since that. :beerwink:

Oh, I think my 60th unique check-in will be a Brewfist 2Late DIPA tonight. :beerwink:
    Wishlist:
    GIRLIE METAL / OLD SCHOOL DEATH METAL / DOOM METAL
    Kingslayer
    Chief Petty Officer

by Kingslayer » Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:46 am

My friends and I visited the Fernie Brewing Company last weekend, home of two of my personal favourites, Big Caboose Red Ale and Kickstand Honey Kolsch
    2016: 9231
    2017: 6521
    2018: Don't even remember

Wishlist: Candlemass, Devin Townsend Project, Doomsword, Dzo-nga, Ex Deo, Gloryhammer, Grand Magus, Hypocrisy, King Diamond, Nile, Powerwolf, Primordial, Running Wild, Steel Panther
    Memnoch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Memnoch » Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:59 pm

I'm going to Warsaw, Poland for the weekend and was checking beer related places to visit. I found this place called Beer Heaven that has 95 taps. I guess it's true when they say you die when you go to heaven. :lol: :stagger:
    Wishlist:
    TOM CRUISE
    Lieutenant-Commander

by TOM CRUISE » Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:01 pm

untapped name- boozebeast

Lately been drinking Speedway Stout (12%) and full sail bourbon barrel aged imperial stout 10.5%
    70K- 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2024 - Cabin 2350. Barge to hell -2012
    Hoppy McGee
    Chief Petty Officer

by Hoppy McGee » Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:23 am

Was in Toronto yesterday for the Eluveitie show and found a spice store that sells Grains of Paradise!! Been searching all over for this stuff. Will be using said spices for tomorrows brew day, going to take a stab at a Belgian Golden Ale, never tried making this style before, hoping all goes well! My wife has also agreed to be assistant brewer for the day, excited to finally be dragging her into this crazy hobby as well!

While we were in the area of the spice store I also noticed that we were really close to a microbrewery that I've been dying to visit for the past couple of years, Bellwoods Brewery. We paid a visit to their bottle shop, their selection was pretty low as they are a very popular place with low volumes. Was hoping to find some Witchshark or some of their barrel-aged stuff but settled for the only two brews they still had in stock (Jutsu and Wizard Wolf), both American Pale Ales. Excited to give them a taste tonight.
    70k 2016 Cabin 9399
    70k 2017 Cabin 2364
    70k 2018 Cabin 9678
    70K 2019 Cabin 2358
    MY.LITTLE.WISHLIST_____**CAPS=MOST.WANTED**
    /-3.Inches.of.Blood.(Reunion)-/1914-/-ABBATH-/-Abysmal.Dawn-/-ALLEGAEON-/-AMON.AMARTH-/-Amorphis-/-ARCHSPIRE-/-Armored.Saint-/-Asphyx-/-At.the.Gates-/-AUTOPSY-/-Battlelore-/-Behemoth-/-BE'LAKOR-/-Black.Crown.Initiate-/-Black.Fast-/-Bölzer-/-CARCASS-/-CATTLE.DECAPITATION-/-Cloak-/-Craven.Idol-/-Crypt.Sermon-/-Critical.Mess-/-DARK.FORTRESS-/-Dark.Tranquillity-/-Death.Angel-/-Demolition.Hammer-/-Demonical-/-Desaster-/-Deserted.Fear-/-DESTROYER.666-/-DISMEMBER-/-Draconian-/-Drakwald-/-DYING.FETUS-/-Dyscarnate-/-Gatecreeper-/-Finntroll-/-GHOUL-/-Goatwhore-/-GOJIRA-/-Gorod-/-Grave-/-Gruesome-/-Harakiri.for.the.Sky-/-Hath-/-High.on.Fire-/-Hooded.Menace-/-HORRENDOUS-/-Horrified-/-HYPOCRISY-/-Immolation-/-Inanimate.Existence-/-Insomnium-/-Jungle.Rot-/-Kaoteon-/-Katatonia-/-Keep.of.Kalessin-/-Khemmis-/-King.Goat-/-King.of.Asgard-/-Lacuna.Coil-/-LEGION.OF.THE.DAMNED-/-LIK-/-Magic.Circle-/-Mammoth.Grinder-/-Master-/-Mastodon-/-MGLA-/-MIDNIGHT-/-MISERY.INDEX-/-Moonspell-/-My.Dying.Bride-/-Necrophobic-/-Necrot-/-Okkultist-/-Orange.Goblin-/-Ossuarium-/-Outre.Tomb-/-Possessed-/-Powerwolf-/-PRIMORDIAL-/-Protector-/-Psycroptic-/-Revocation-/-Ripper-/-Rivers.of.Nihil-/-Rotting.Christ-/-Ruby.the.Hatchet-/-Sacred.Monster-/-SATAN-/-Skálmöld-/-Skeletal.Remains-/-SOEN-/-SULPHUR.AEON-/-Taake-/-TANKARD-/-Temple.of.Void-/-Testament-/-The.Crown-/-THULCANDRA-/-Thyrfing-/-Tomb.Mold-/-Tribulation-/-Uada-/-Unleashed-/-VADER-/-Venom.Inc.-/-Watain-/-Xentrix/{white=booked}/{red=ruled.out}
    Sgt. B
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Sgt. B » Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:33 am

Attended the 8th annual Surlyfest this weekend. Good time. Tried beers not normally available.

http://surlybrewing.com/events/surlyfest-2015/

Beers I sampled at the fest:
    http://surlybrewing.com/beer/hop-shifter-ipa-2/
    http://surlybrewing.com/beer/cacao-bender/
    http://surlybrewing.com/beer/surly-lager-2/
    http://surlybrewing.com/beer/cultivate-2015/

Beers sampled in the taproom right after:
    http://surlybrewing.com/beer/fiery-hell/
    http://surlybrewing.com/beer/one-time-s ... y-version/

My favorites were the Hopshifter & Fiery Hell. All were good enough to drink again (and again ...).

Would have stayed longer, but had to leave to make it to the Symphony X/Overkill show.
    1914-Abbath-Aeon-Ahab-Akercocke-Alcest-AliceCooper-Alestorm-AmonAmarth-Amorphis-AnaalNathrakh-Anathema-AnnekeVanGeirsbergen/VUUR-ArmoredSaint-Asphyx-AtTheGates-Auðn-Ayreon-BarrenEarth-Behemoth-Be'lakor-BlackBreath-BlackFast-BlindGuardian-Borknagar-Brainstorm-CallenishCircle-Candlemass-CarpenterBrut-ChelseaWolfe-CirithUngol-Cloak-Conan-CravenIdol-Cruachan-CryptSermon-CultOfLuna-CutUp-DarkAngel-DarkFortress-DeadCongregation-DeathAngel-DemolitionHammer-Demons&Wizards-DevinTownsend-Dismember-DraggedIntoSunlight-Dyscarnate-EdgeOfSanity-ElectricWizard-Emperor-Enforcer-Enshine-Entombed-Entrails-EsotericUK-Evocation-Exodus-Evoken-Exhorder-Falkenbach-FatesWarning-Fen-Feral-Firespawn-Flotsam&Jetsam-ForgottenTomb-GeneralSurgery-Ghost-GhostBath-Ghoul-Godflesh-Gojira-Gorguts-Gorod-GrandMagus-Grave-GraveMiasma-GreenCarnation-Haemorrhage-HammersOfMisfortune-Hate-HighSpirits-HoodedMenace-Hypocrisy-IcedEarth-Ihsahn-Immolation-ImperiumDekadenz-InTheWoods-Incantation-InterArma-IronReagan-Izegrim-Kadavar-Kampfar-KeepOfKalessin-Khemmis-Khonsu-KingDiamond/MercyfulFate-KingGoat-Kriegsmaschine-LaazRockit-LacunaCoil-LegionOfTheDamned-LIK-LimbonicArt-Loudness-Lvcifyre(UK)-Manegarm-Melechesh-Memoriam-Mgla-MiseryIndex-Mistur-MonsterMagnet-Moonsorrow-Moonspell-MournfulCongregation-MunicipalWaste-MyDyingBride-Myrkur-MysticProphecy-Nails-Necrot-NovembersDoom-Novembre-NuclearAssault-Okera-Opeth-OrangeGoblin-OranssiPazuzu-Orchid-Overkill-PagansMind-Panopticon-Perturbator-Portal-Powerwolf-Primordial-Profetus-PowerTrip-Prong-Queensryche-RottenSound-RottingChrist-S.O.D.-Sabbat(UK)-SacredReich-Sanctuary-Saor-Sarke-Saturnus-Satyricon-Saxon-Schammasch-SecretsOfTheMoon-ShapeOfDespair-SkeletalRemains-Skeletonwitch-Skepticism-Skyclad-Skyforger-Sleep-SloughFeg-Solstafir-SufferingHour-SuicidalAngels-SulphurAeon-SvartCrown-Sylosis-TempleOfVoid-Testament-TheCrown-TheGathering-TheGreatOldOnes-TheHaunted-TheLurkingFear-TheOcean-TheRuinsOfBeverast-Therion-Thulcandra-Thyrfing-Tribulation-Triptykon-Uada-Ulcerate-Unleashed-Vader-Vemod-Vio-Lence-Visigoth-Voices(UK)-Vredehammer-Vreid-WakeTheDead-Watain-Wayfarer-Waylander-Windhand-Winterfylleth-Witherscape-WithinTemptation-Wolf-WolvesInTheThroneRoom-Yob-Zhrine

2012: Survivor
    2014: Survivor
    2015: Survivor
    2016: Survivor
    2017: Survivor
    2018: Survivor
    2019: Survivor
    2020: Survivor
    2023: Survivor
    2024: Survivor
    BtH(2012): Survivor
    Memnoch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Memnoch » Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:36 am

Business Gnoff is a surprisingly calm dude. :beerwink:
    Understood most of the interview to my surprise.
    Wishlist:
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:37 am

Nice one Gnoff :) Couldn't understand a word you said but you looked and sounded very professional :)

Had lunch and beers with some clients at this little place last week:

http://www.4heartsbrewing.com/

Their Pale Ale was exceptional.
    Upcoming Gigs:
    -/-Halestorm?-/-Fleshgod-Apocalypse-/-Scar-Symmetry-/-Wind-Rose-/-Unleash-The-Archers
    2025 Wishlist
    Ad-Infinitum-/-Aephanemer-/-All-For-Metal-/-Alterium-/-Ancient-Bards-/-Atlas-Pain-/-Avantasia-/-Battlelore-/Beast-In-Black-/-Believer-/-Beyond-The-Black-/-Brothers-of-Metal-/-Catalyst-Crime-/-Civil-War-/-Circus-Maximus-/-Claymorean-/-Cobra-Spell-/-Dark-Moor-/-Dark-Sarah-/-Dartagnan-/-Diabulus-In-Musica-/-Edguy-/-Ex-Libris-/-Exit-Eden-/-Fellowship-/-Follow-The-Cipher-/-Frozen-Crown-/-Galderia-/-Hammer-King-/-Heavatar-/-Ignea-/-Imperial-Age-/-In-This-Moment-/-Jaldaboath-/-Kaledon-/-Labyrinth-/-Living-Sacrifice-/-Metalite-/-Moonlight-Haze-/-Neopera-/-Nestor-/-Nocturna-/-Orden-Ogan-/-Pathfinder-/-Phantom-Elite-/-Poisonblack-/-Power-Paladin-/-Powerwolf-/-The-Privateer-/-Rexoria-/-Running-Wild-/-She-Wolf-/-Silver-Bullet-/-Sleeping-Romance-/-Sojourner-/-Tarot-/-Ten-/-Thaurorod-/-The-Big-Deal-/-The-Dark-Element-/-Trick-or-Treat-/-Trillium-/-Unisonic-/-Valhalore-/-Vanishing-Point-/-Volturian-/-Walk-In-Darkness-/-Within-Temptation
  • NuuX
    Ensign

by NuuX » Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:58 pm

A couple of weeks ago my sister went to Belgium and I told her to bring me some local beer. "Just make sure the label doesn't say wheat, white, weizen, blanche, blanc." She brought me two bottles - Timmermans Tradition BLANCHE Lambicus and Budels BIO Pilsner. To be honest, I'm scared to try them :D
    2011 @ 5535
    2012 @ 5527
    2014 @ 2039
    2015 @ 9675
    2011/2012 Hockeyagi Champion
    2017/2018 Hockeyagi Champion
    Memnoch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Memnoch » Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:44 am

I just opened a bottle of the Amorphis beer "Ale from the Thousand Lakes". Quite nice pale ale.
    Wishlist:
  • Monmisreal
    Lieutenant

by Monmisreal » Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:15 am

By chance, are any of you foreigners getting the Carlsberg Fallout beer? I'm trying to get my hands on 2 but since I'm in the states I'm pretty screwed. If anyone is able to get some I'd pay to get it. I'm not sure if it can be shipped outside of UK.

Memnoch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Memnoch » Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:42 am

^Seems it's a UK only release.
    Wishlist:
  • NuuX
    Ensign

by NuuX » Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:20 pm

The local pub I attend on regular basis has a new beer on tap. It's called Backbone Splitter IPA and it's been a favourite of mine for a while now. Altough it's a bit expensive (€4,8 per pint). They also expanded their collection of Carlow O'Hara's altough my favourite still remains the Irish Pale Ale.

I have also been brewing some of my own beer (nowhere near the experience of the GnoffMeister) but I am still proud of my Pale Ale which I brewed differently than it was suggested in manual. I also added honey for some different taste and so far it only met with praise and requests for re-brew :oops:
    2011 @ 5535
    2012 @ 5527
    2014 @ 2039
    2015 @ 9675
    2011/2012 Hockeyagi Champion
    2017/2018 Hockeyagi Champion
  • Monmisreal
    Lieutenant

by Monmisreal » Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:17 pm

Its probably a relabel. Honestly, I just want the bottle for my cubicle :beerbang: So far I have the most recent cigar city gwar beer and the Narragansett Innsmouth Olde Ale cans. I wish I could have gotten a hole of the other narragansett hp lovecraft beer but we only got the olde ale

That fallout beer is stupid expensive too.
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Fri Dec 25, 2015 7:36 pm

Daenerys
    Midshipman

by Daenerys » Sat Jan 02, 2016 5:49 pm

gnoff_the_creep wrote:
    The craft brewery I work for have outgrown the brewery once more, now building a new brewery also fairly close to Gothenburg, moving sometimes April-May to the new and bigger place.

So much beer, yay!

Yay indeed! Drinking this right now, soooooo unbelievably delicious :chug:

Voyager-Vuur-GrandMagus-Myrath-Borknagar-NovembersDoom-Aeternam-Havok-TheHaloEffect-Moonspell-SepticFlesh-Sigh-BarrenEarth-Iotunn-ScarSymmetry-Nekrogoblikon
    jeyrow
    Petty Officer

by jeyrow » Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:47 am

Hey folks, just a few weeks of the cruise, I wonder if someone can buy me some Viking horn board and I could make the payment or make an exchange for something of my country. I am very interested in purchasing one.
    My Facebook is Jäiro Molinä (jairiux@facebook.com)
    Cheers! :heavydrink:
    70000Tons - 2015 - 7307
    70000Tons - 2016 - 7531
    70000Tons - 2017 - 6231
    70000Tons - 2018 - No
    70000Tons - 2019 - 6131
    70000Tons - 2020 - No
    Daenerys
    Midshipman

by Daenerys » Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:14 am

gnoff_the_creep wrote:The other day I had a beer taht I scored 4.8 on rateheerb, so a top 7 beer of all time of commercial beers I've rated under 10 years, amazing!

We noticed you rating an awful lot of beers pretty terribly the other day :lol: We thought of you while drinking "Swedish Chef" by Angry Chair a few weeks ago :beerwink:
    Voyager-Vuur-GrandMagus-Myrath-Borknagar-NovembersDoom-Aeternam-Havok-TheHaloEffect-Moonspell-SepticFlesh-Sigh-BarrenEarth-Iotunn-ScarSymmetry-Nekrogoblikon
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:54 pm

Looks like the Fort Lauderdale Airport has opened up a pre-security gastropub in the past year. Sounds like a good way to kill time before flying home from the cruise.
    Memnoch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Memnoch » Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:54 am

Made it to 666 unique check-ins on Untappd before Easter. 666 different beers in seven months. Not bad. :beerwink:
    Wishlist:
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:48 am

Memnoch wrote:Made it to 666 unique check-ins on Untappd before Easter. 666 different beers in seven months. Not bad. :beerwink:

That's pretty good. Perfect number for Easter. :deathhorns:
    Memnoch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Memnoch » Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:19 pm

Went to Tallinn for the weekend and visited the Tallinn Craft Beer Weekend on Saturday. Tasted about 40 new brews. Quite a lot of good brews, and a bit to my surprise my favourites were almost all stouts and porters. :beerwink:
    Wishlist:
    Memnoch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Memnoch » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:19 pm

Haha, I knew you'd like that bit. :beerwink:
    Seriously though, there were quite a few excellent dark beers, and especially the dry and bitter coffee porters were nice.

My overall favourite was probably Boneyard's triple IPA, Notorious IPA3. Edge Brewing's Hoptimista IPA was quite nice too.

Chatted with the All in Brewing's people and apparently they too knew Your Gnoffiness. :beerwink:
    Wishlist:
    Memnoch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Memnoch » Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:14 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:
    Wishlist:
    Memnoch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Memnoch » Fri Apr 08, 2016 1:52 am

I've decided to try and brew my own beer for midsummer. West Coast style (D)IPA.
    And to try and fail miserably at it, I've decided to not go with any brew kits or anything, but use actual (ground) malts to make the wort. According to BrewMate, if all goes as planned, the beer should be around 8% ABV, 35 EBC and 135 IBU. :beerwink:

But, yes, I kinda want this to go wrong, so I don't end up brewing more and more, leaving my job and going to a brew school like some people. :lol:
    Wishlist:
    Daenerys
    Midshipman

by Daenerys » Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:14 pm

gnoff_the_creep wrote:As long as you do it by yourself and don't listen to others you'll be fine, it will likely not be very good :cheers:

Now if you listen to certain stupid tall Swedes, you might just sit there in 12 years wondering why you earn so little money even though you work all the time and end up drinking less...

:stagger:

I still admire you doing that, leaving the money and monotony for your true passion :)

We've booked 2 beerfests for this year, should be fun!

http://beercamp.sierranevada.com/festivals/

http://bigtampabeerfest.com/
    Memnoch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Memnoch » Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:30 pm

Indeed, I don't think I could ever be that brave with life-altering decisions.
    And damn those brewery lists for the two fests look awesome.

Aah, at the very least there's a Stone tap takeover at Kitty's in Helsinki on Friday. :beerwink:
    Wishlist:
  • Monmisreal
    Lieutenant

by Monmisreal » Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:56 pm

Memnoch wrote:I've decided to try and brew my own beer for midsummer. West Coast style (D)IPA.
    And to try and fail miserably at it, I've decided to not go with any brew kits or anything, but use actual (ground) malts to make the wort. According to BrewMate, if all goes as planned, the beer should be around 8% ABV, 35 EBC and 135 IBU. :beerwink:

But, yes, I kinda want this to go wrong, so I don't end up brewing more and more, leaving my job and going to a brew school like some people. :lol:

:lol: :lol:

Steph told me about this thread. First beer and you're doing a DIPA with 135 IBUs? Damn dude, that's going to be brutal.

I started brewing because I thought it would save me money...now I'm buying even more beer than before on top of brewing costs. It is always great to have people look at all my active fermentations/aging vessels and think they've gone bad because of all the shit that seems to be growing on top of them. Wild ales ftw!
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:25 pm

Daenerys wrote:
    gnoff_the_creep wrote:As long as you do it by yourself and don't listen to others you'll be fine, it will likely not be very good :cheers:

Now if you listen to certain stupid tall Swedes, you might just sit there in 12 years wondering why you earn so little money even though you work all the time and end up drinking less...

:stagger:

I still admire you doing that, leaving the money and monotony for your true passion :)

We've booked 2 beerfests for this year, should be fun!

http://beercamp.sierranevada.com/festivals/

http://bigtampabeerfest.com/

Have fun! Beer festivals are great. There's one coming up in Tucson and I just got a $10 off coupon for tickets (thanks Untappd!) but not sure if it's still worth it. The brewer list is nothing special, as most of the ones I'd be interested I can get out here anyways. Decisions, decisions. http://americaontap.com/tucson-on-tap-tucson-az/
    Daenerys
    Midshipman

by Daenerys » Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:17 pm

mooyagi wrote:Have fun! Beer festivals are great. There's one coming up in Tucson and I just got a $10 off coupon for tickets (thanks Untappd!) but not sure if it's still worth it. The brewer list is nothing special, as most of the ones I'd be interested I can get out here anyways. Decisions, decisions. http://americaontap.com/tucson-on-tap-tucson-az/

Yeah that's the problem we have as well. We skipped a local fest last month because we had literally already tried everything that was being offered :?

Gonna crack open a bottle of Bon Chien tonight!! :belly:

Memnoch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Memnoch » Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:36 pm

Monmisreal wrote:Steph told me about this thread. First beer and you're doing a DIPA with 135 IBUs? Damn dude, that's going to be brutal.

I started brewing because I thought it would save me money...now I'm buying even more beer than before on top of brewing costs. It is always great to have people look at all my active fermentations/aging vessels and think they've gone bad because of all the shit that seems to be growing on top of them. Wild ales ftw!

I decided to go with a bit "milder" one first after all. Single hopped with Simcoe. If the supplier's info on the hops is accurate, the beer should be around 100 IBUs. Got all the ingredients, so I should be ready to go. :beerwink:
    Wishlist:
  • Monmisreal
    Lieutenant

by Monmisreal » Wed May 11, 2016 4:24 pm

How'd the brewday go!?
    Memnoch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Memnoch » Wed May 11, 2016 11:37 pm

The first batch was a bit too dry, so I mashed my second batch a bit differently to get some more unfermentable sugars in the beer. Was aiming for around 7%, but ended up at 9%. :lol:
    I'll try and bottle my black IPA this coming weekend. Tasted it a bit when I put the dry hops in, and it tasted quite nice already with a nice roasty taste and a bit of sweetness. I have a DIPA in the making for midsummer.

Remember when I said I'm fearing this might get out of hand? :lol:
    Wishlist:
    Memnoch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Memnoch » Tue May 24, 2016 5:01 am

Bottled my black IPA a week ago and, me being too anxious to wait, I tried one bottle last night. I was quite pleasantly surprised. I wouldn't mind it to be a bit less bitter, or maybe having a bit more aroma hops, but it's quite nice anyhow. Nice and dry, but with a little bit of sweetness too. And it has a nice chocolate-y roastiness to it as well. Definitely better than some professionally made beers, but, admitted, still not quite as good as, say, Founders' Dark Penance. I used honey for priming, and it does give a gentle flavour to the aftertaste. Not sure if it'll be there after a few more weeks of storage.
    This one should've been around 7% alcohol according to BrewMate, but ended up a bit over 9%. Maybe I should correct the "brewhouse efficiency" percentage on BrewMate?

But, yes, this was a couraging batch. Might add a bit of Citra or something to add a bit of fresh citrusy notes to the next one and maybe use a bit less bittering hops. The malt ratio seems pretty good for my taste.
    Wishlist:
  • Monmisreal
    Lieutenant

by Monmisreal » Sat May 28, 2016 12:31 pm

You're hooked now ville. Welcome to the home brewing club, you are now allowed to be a pretentious beer snob :lol:

I'm stoked, finally finished the 3 tap keezer so I should be able to pour my first beer on wed/Thurs! Got a Sorachi blonde, kinda sorta English IPA because my dumbass forgot to buy crystal malt lmao, and a rye stout.

Next up will be a Sage and Basil Brett Saison
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:10 pm

Looks like i'll be going here. http://www.oregonbrewfest.com/index2.php?p=fact

We just booked a trip out to washington and oregon and didn't even know about the festival. It just happens to fall during the time we were planning on being in portland! This is fantastic.
  • Monmisreal
    Lieutenant

by Monmisreal » Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:29 am

Schwarztbier! Definitely a style that I never see here.

Pulling a sample from my sage and basil saison today to see if I want to pitch some Brett or leave it as is :belly:
Post Reply 2803 posts