Post Reply 1468 posts
Gamers
    cegr80
    Lieutenant

Re: Gamers

by cegr80 » Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:55 am

OK, had enough of Diablo 3 last friday. Lost my hardcore witch doctor, then started with a seasonal hardcore wizard and guess what? Also died while power leveling. FML
    2017.2018.2019.2020.2023.2024.GOLD.Survivor|2025 Wishlist:1349-1914-Aephanemer-Akercoke-Alcest-Alkaloid-AnaalNathrakh-AnAbstractIllusion-Atvm-Avatar-Avslut-Be'lakor-Belzebubs-ChapelOfDisease-Chthonic-Darkthrone-DiabloSwingOrchestra-Dimmu Borgir-Dodheimsgard-Draconian-EternalTearsOfSorrow-FreakKitchen-Hamferd-IATT-LochVostok-Marduk-NocnyKochanek-Satyricon-Schammasch-Scour-Shining(Nor)-Sigh-SulphurAeon-Turisas-Ulver-Virvum-Watain-WhiteWard
    AverageMetalDrummer
    Chief Petty Officer

by AverageMetalDrummer » Wed Jan 25, 2023 12:54 pm

I recently played through The Witcher 3’s main campaign again after downloading the next-gen update. I loved it! The graphics were never an issue for me, but they look really good in the update. Lots of quality of life improvements. I may play through Hearts of Stone and Blood and Wine again later this year.
    Yippee38
    Petty Officer

by Yippee38 » Sat Feb 04, 2023 6:50 pm

cegr80 wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:55 am OK, had enough of Diablo 3 last friday. Lost my hardcore witch doctor, then started with a seasonal hardcore wizard and guess what? Also died while power leveling. FML
    I do something like that often (and though it's true, I don't mean getting my characters killed). I get obsessed about a game, and play the crap out of it for a couple of weeks, then I stop playing it, and get obsessed with something else.

My latest is trying - again - to learn Eve Online.
    cegr80
    Lieutenant

by cegr80 » Wed Feb 22, 2023 12:07 pm

Played some Heroes Of Might And Magic III (HD Edition) this past Sunday and boy, I got my ass whooped at normal difficulty. Couldn't finish the scenario, LOL
    2017.2018.2019.2020.2023.2024.GOLD.Survivor|2025 Wishlist:1349-1914-Aephanemer-Akercoke-Alcest-Alkaloid-AnaalNathrakh-AnAbstractIllusion-Atvm-Avatar-Avslut-Be'lakor-Belzebubs-ChapelOfDisease-Chthonic-Darkthrone-DiabloSwingOrchestra-Dimmu Borgir-Dodheimsgard-Draconian-EternalTearsOfSorrow-FreakKitchen-Hamferd-IATT-LochVostok-Marduk-NocnyKochanek-Satyricon-Schammasch-Scour-Shining(Nor)-Sigh-SulphurAeon-Turisas-Ulver-Virvum-Watain-WhiteWard
  • Death tattoo guy
    Oiler

by Death tattoo guy » Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:31 pm

I'm still stuck in early 2000's and playing Wolfenstein and Secret Weapons Over Normandy
    10 Wishlist bands I've never seen live:
    Decadence
    The Halo Effect
    Aephanemer
    Nagasaki Sunrise
    Inhuman Condition
    Burning Witches
    Crystal Viper
    Frozen Crown
    Jenner
    Sorcerer

Survivor: Barge To Hell,2013,2014,2015,2016,2017,2018,2019, 2020, 2023
    cegr80
    Lieutenant

by cegr80 » Fri Mar 17, 2023 12:32 pm

Death tattoo guy wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:31 pm I'm still stuck in early 2000's and playing Wolfenstein and Secret Weapons Over Normandy
    My kind of games. Nice!
  • Olezha89
    Wiper

by Olezha89 » Wed Apr 05, 2023 4:23 am

Last weekend I finally watched the series "The Last of Us". Initially I thought I wouldn't like the series, because I love the game too much. However, the series is great, and I once again started playing "The Last of Us".
    It is a pity that Naughty Dog does not plan to release a sequel to the game in the near future
    AverageMetalDrummer
    Chief Petty Officer

by AverageMetalDrummer » Sat Apr 08, 2023 3:30 pm

Just finished the Resident Evil 4 remake. It was a lot of fun. Some areas had some frustrating parts, but overall, a great experience.
    AverageMetalDrummer
    Chief Petty Officer

by AverageMetalDrummer » Sat Apr 08, 2023 3:39 pm

Olezha89 wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 4:23 am Last weekend I finally watched the series "The Last of Us". Initially I thought I wouldn't like the series, because I love the game too much. However, the series is great, and I once again started playing "The Last of Us".
    It is a pity that Naughty Dog does not plan to release a sequel to the game in the near future
    The Last of Us is my wife’s favorite game series. We enjoyed the show quite a bit, as well. I played through the first one, but part two threw me off with having to play both sides. The wife finished it a few months before the show came out after taking an extended break from it.
    cegr80
    Lieutenant

by cegr80 » Mon Apr 10, 2023 10:56 am

Played some Duke Nukem 3D over the weekend. Forgot how fun this game was.
    AverageMetalDrummer
    Chief Petty Officer

by AverageMetalDrummer » Mon Apr 10, 2023 2:21 pm

cegr80 wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 10:56 am Played some Duke Nukem 3D over the weekend. Forgot how fun this game was.
    Oh man, I played so much of that game back in high school. Good times.

“It’s time to kick ass and chew bubblegum, and I’m all out of gum.”
    Yippee38
    Petty Officer

by Yippee38 » Sun Apr 23, 2023 12:57 am

Death tattoo guy wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:31 pm I'm still stuck in early 2000's and playing Wolfenstein and Secret Weapons Over Normandy
    I never heard of Secret Weapons Over Normandy. My favorite game of all time is Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe. It is also from LucasArts. By today's standards, it's pretty weak. But at the time, it was amazing.

When you say Wolfenstein, do you mean "Castle Wolfenstein", "Wolfenstein 3D", or "Return to Castle Wolfenstein"? I love all three games. They are all brilliant for their times.

Still playing Eve Online, and also working on my Skyrim (highly modded) playthrough.
    cegr80
    Lieutenant

by cegr80 » Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:05 am

Anyone playing Diablo IV now? Is it good? Been thinking about buying it, but I gotta make sure my gaming PC meets the minimum requirements
  • Lyllywyn
    Crewman

by Lyllywyn » Sat Jul 08, 2023 6:02 pm

cegr80 wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:05 am Anyone playing Diablo IV now? Is it good? Been thinking about buying it, but I gotta make sure my gaming PC meets the minimum requirements
    We've enjoyed it. I personally liked the console version slightly better for controls, but we've played the hell out of it so far.
    cegr80
    Lieutenant

by cegr80 » Mon Jul 24, 2023 11:34 am

Yesterday I played Heroes Of Might & Magic 3 HD Edition. Finally I won a scenario in Normal difficulty, I feel I'm rusty.

Decided to buy a strategy guide book so I can get better.
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Mon Jul 24, 2023 7:40 pm

I'm feeling OLD. I haven't 'got' into a game in ages. Couldn't even get into Elden Ring.

Currently playing Slay The Spire a lot - not exactly bleeding edge gaming, but its fun and it engages the brain at least a little.

Still keen to get the PS VR2, but haven't seen any 'killer apps' to make it worth the extreme pricetag yet!

Hoping that Baldurs Gate 3 will shake me out of my console gaming malaise!
    Upcoming Gigs:
    -/-Scar-Symmetry-/-Wind-Rose-/-Unleash-The-Archers-/-Amaranthe
    2025 Wishlist
    Ad-Infinitum-/-Aephanemer-/-All-For-Metal-/-Alterium-/-Ancient-Bards-/-Atlas-Pain-/-Avantasia-/-Battlelore-/Beast-In-Black-/-Believer-/-Beyond-The-Black-/-Brothers-of-Metal-/-Catalyst-Crime-/-Civil-War-/-Circus-Maximus-/-Claymorean-/-Cobra-Spell-/-Dark-Moor-/-Dark-Sarah-/-Dartagnan-/-Diabulus-In-Musica-/-Edguy-/-Ex-Libris-/-Exit-Eden-/-Fellowship-/-Follow-The-Cipher-/-Frozen-Crown-/-Galderia-/-Hammer-King-/-Heavatar-/-Ignea-/-Imperial-Age-/-In-This-Moment-/-Jaldaboath-/-Kaledon-/-Labyrinth-/-Living-Sacrifice-/-Metalite-/-Moonlight-Haze-/-Neopera-/-Nestor-/-Nocturna-/-Orden-Ogan-/-Pathfinder-/-Phantom-Elite-/-Poisonblack-/-Power-Paladin-/-Powerwolf-/-The-Privateer-/-Rexoria-/-Running-Wild-/-She-Wolf-/-Silver-Bullet-/-Sleeping-Romance-/-Sojourner-/-Tarot-/-Ten-/-Thaurorod-/-The-Big-Deal-/-The-Dark-Element-/-Trick-or-Treat-/-Trillium-/-Unisonic-/-Valhalore-/-Vanishing-Point-/-Volturian-/-Walk-In-Darkness-/-Within-Temptation
    AverageMetalDrummer
    Chief Petty Officer

by AverageMetalDrummer » Tue Jul 25, 2023 5:10 am

cowboy71 wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 7:40 pm I'm feeling OLD. I haven't 'got' into a game in ages. Couldn't even get into Elden Ring.

Currently playing Slay The Spire a lot - not exactly bleeding edge gaming, but its fun and it engages the brain at least a little.

Still keen to get the PS VR2, but haven't seen any 'killer apps' to make it worth the extreme pricetag yet!

Hoping that Baldurs Gate 3 will shake me out of my console gaming malaise!
    Games really need to do something to catch my attention for me to get into them. Sometimes simple games are much better than AAA titles. I still play a lot of 8- and 16-bit stuff, when time allows. Currently, however, I’m playing through Final Fantasy XVI. It’s definitely not the best FF game, but still enjoyable. Not really an RPG, more like an action game. The story is what’s keeping me engaged.

My son got really into Elden Ring, but I refused to play it. I still have PTSD from not getting past the tutorial boss in Dark Souls III, lol. Too frustrating for my taste.

Like you said, the PS VR2 doesn’t have enough to offer to justify the cost. I’d like to play Resident Evil 8 and 4 remake in VR, but I’m not paying $550 just for those experiences. Maybe they’ll drop the price in a year or two.
  • Feanorgandalf
    Chief Petty Officer

by Feanorgandalf » Tue Jul 25, 2023 8:50 am

"Final fantasy 16 is a great game but not a good JRPG" is a quote I saw from Preach Gaming and it sums up that game perfectly. I love the story, combat is a bit simplistic but still engaging but in terms of the JRPG elements I want to see, I get a weapon slot and 2 accessory slots with skill tree. Pretty bare bones for any customization
    AverageMetalDrummer
    Chief Petty Officer

by AverageMetalDrummer » Tue Jul 25, 2023 9:46 am

Feanorgandalf wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 8:50 am "Final fantasy 16 is a great game but not a good JRPG" is a quote I saw from Preach Gaming and it sums up that game perfectly. I love the story, combat is a bit simplistic but still engaging but in terms of the JRPG elements I want to see, I get a weapon slot and 2 accessory slots with skill tree. Pretty bare bones for any customization
    Agreed on all counts. I’m probably 85% through the game based on what’s on my map and have seen minimal customization options. I barely have to spend any Gil (the game’s currency, for the uninitiated), mainly just to refill potions and such. It’s not a challenging game, but the story is great.
  • Feanorgandalf
    Chief Petty Officer

by Feanorgandalf » Thu Jul 27, 2023 1:33 pm

FF16 is also making me realize how pointless and annoying QTE's are. I can accept them in combat but do I really need a QTE to open a gate or kick down some wooden planks???
    AverageMetalDrummer
    Chief Petty Officer

by AverageMetalDrummer » Thu Jul 27, 2023 3:29 pm

I hear ya. QTEs were a foreign concept to me until 2016, when I got my PS4. I had skipped an entire generation of systems with the PS3 and whatever Xbox iteration was around at that time, so I had no clue about QTEs until I played one of the early PS4 games that had them. I’m generally not a fan.
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Thu Jul 27, 2023 8:37 pm

AverageMetalDrummer wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 5:10 am ...
    I still play a lot of 8- and 16-bit stuff, when time allows.

THIS. So THIS.

I have a collection of retro consoles/computers (ie Commodore 64, Atari 2600, Commodore Amiga) and I game on them MORE than I do on my Playstation 4 or 5!

It's the simplicity. No QTEs, no 73 minute long overblown cutscenes that get rudely interrupted by 2 minutes of actual gameplay. Just load up, start playing, have fun, done.
    Upcoming Gigs:
    2025 Wishlist
    Ad-Infinitum-/-Aephanemer-/-All-For-Metal-/-Alterium-/-Ancient-Bards-/-Atlas-Pain-/-Avantasia-/-Battlelore-/Beast-In-Black-/-Believer-/-Beyond-The-Black-/-Brothers-of-Metal-/-Catalyst-Crime-/-Civil-War-/-Circus-Maximus-/-Claymorean-/-Cobra-Spell-/-Dark-Moor-/-Dark-Sarah-/-Dartagnan-/-Diabulus-In-Musica-/-Edguy-/-Ex-Libris-/-Exit-Eden-/-Fellowship-/-Follow-The-Cipher-/-Frozen-Crown-/-Galderia-/-Hammer-King-/-Heavatar-/-Ignea-/-Imperial-Age-/-In-This-Moment-/-Jaldaboath-/-Kaledon-/-Labyrinth-/-Living-Sacrifice-/-Metalite-/-Moonlight-Haze-/-Neopera-/-Nestor-/-Nocturna-/-Orden-Ogan-/-Pathfinder-/-Phantom-Elite-/-Poisonblack-/-Power-Paladin-/-Powerwolf-/-The-Privateer-/-Rexoria-/-Running-Wild-/-She-Wolf-/-Silver-Bullet-/-Sleeping-Romance-/-Sojourner-/-Tarot-/-Ten-/-Thaurorod-/-The-Big-Deal-/-The-Dark-Element-/-Trick-or-Treat-/-Trillium-/-Unisonic-/-Valhalore-/-Vanishing-Point-/-Volturian-/-Walk-In-Darkness-/-Within-Temptation
    cegr80
    Lieutenant

by cegr80 » Fri Jul 28, 2023 1:18 pm

AverageMetalDrummer wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 5:10 amI still play a lot of 8- and 16-bit stuff, when time allows
    For me, these are the best video games (NES, SNES, Sega Genesis...)

cowboy71 wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 8:37 pmI have a collection of retro consoles/computers (ie Commodore 64, Atari 2600, Commodore Amiga) and I game on them MORE than I do on my Playstation 4 or 5!
    Nice! I have a NES emulator and a SNES emulator in my gaming PC and I use both original NES/SNES controllers from the new Nintendo consoles. Found a nice adapter for those.
    AverageMetalDrummer
    Chief Petty Officer

by AverageMetalDrummer » Sun Jul 30, 2023 6:47 am

cegr80 wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 1:18 pm For me, these are the best video games (NES, SNES, Sega Genesis...)
    These three systems were the best for me, as well. I even had the Sega CD and 32X. Sadly, most of my retro systems were lost, but I bought the NES snd SNES mini systems when they came out. I enjoy playing them a lot. The Sega Genesis Classics Collection has a lot of great titles, as well.
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Sun Jul 30, 2023 4:36 pm

AverageMetalDrummer wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 6:47 am
    cegr80 wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 1:18 pm For me, these are the best video games (NES, SNES, Sega Genesis...)
    These three systems were the best for me, as well. I even had the Sega CD and 32X. Sadly, most of my retro systems were lost, but I bought the NES snd SNES mini systems when they came out. I enjoy playing them a lot. The Sega Genesis Classics Collection has a lot of great titles, as well.
    I REALLY wish I held onto my Atari 2600 but sold it and all my games to a school mate back in the 80s. God they'd be worth a mint now :P
    Upcoming Gigs:
    2025 Wishlist
    AverageMetalDrummer
    Chief Petty Officer

by AverageMetalDrummer » Mon Jul 31, 2023 10:46 am

cowboy71 wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 4:36 pm
    I REALLY wish I held onto my Atari 2600 but sold it and all my games to a school mate back in the 80s. God they'd be worth a mint now :P
    We never thought back then about how valuable and sought-after these old games and systems would become. Regardless of value, I wish I still had all my old systems/games. I did find a few of my old cartridges when we cleaned out my Mom’s house. They still work in my (POS) Retron 5, lol.
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Mon Jul 31, 2023 7:38 pm

AverageMetalDrummer wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 10:46 am
    cowboy71 wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 4:36 pm

We never thought back then about how valuable and sought-after these old games and systems would become. Regardless of value, I wish I still had all my old systems/games. I did find a few of my old cartridges when we cleaned out my Mom’s house. They still work in my (POS) Retron 5, lol.
    Yeah sadly!! One area I DID think about value though was my old Nintendo "game and watch" collection.

Got a number of them (donkey kong II, Green House, Turtle Bridge, Octopus, etc) in perfect working condition still.

Probably my fave among them all is I have this bad boy - EVEN still have its original box!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/314137707004
    Upcoming Gigs:
    2025 Wishlist
    AverageMetalDrummer
    Chief Petty Officer

by AverageMetalDrummer » Tue Aug 01, 2023 4:35 am

cowboy71 wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 7:38 pm Yeah sadly!! One area I DID think about value though was my old Nintendo "game and watch" collection.

Got a number of them (donkey kong II, Green House, Turtle Bridge, Octopus, etc) in perfect working condition still.

Probably my fave among them all is I have this bad boy - EVEN still have its original box!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/314137707004
    That’s awesome! It’s mind blowing that those are worth so much now. I had a few of them as well. The main one I remember is Donkey Kong Jr. It sounds like you have quite the retro collection!
Post Reply 1468 posts