Post Reply 10 posts Page 1 of 1
A little help? "Agile software development" anyone?
  • ragnaröks_roller
    Chief Petty Officer

A little help? "Agile software development" anyone?

by ragnaröks_roller » Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:07 pm

Hi all, I can hardly call myself a "forum fiend" anymore, as I've been a no-show around these parts for quite some time. I need a little help, though, and you awesome cruise folks are the best assortment of people I could think to ask. Maybe you can extend some help?

I've been on the hunt for a new job for a while, and something finally appeared that seems like a real possibility. One thing though -- there's mention of them wanting familiarity with "Agile software development" which I most certainly don't have, as before today I don't think I'd heard the term. I looked it up on the good ol' internet and kind of get the gist of it. Anyone here who could help explain it, or give me some ideas of existing skills I might posses that might help my argument that I'll catch on quick and to PLEASE consider bringing me on anyway?

This job would probably be almost double the salary of my current position and would be about 1000 times more fulfilling. I won't forget any help come January!! :D
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

Re: A little help? "Agile software development" anyone?

by ShoreSlayer » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:24 pm

ragnaröks_roller wrote:Hi all, I can hardly call myself a "forum fiend" anymore, as I've been a no-show around these parts for quite some time.

Once a forum fiend, always a forum fiend!

You're family for life Anika. No escape!! :headbanger:

Good luck finding the info ya need and kick some major metal butt at the interview!!
    So far at least, 2011, 2012 & 2015 were enough for me
    :shred:Book 'em ANDO!! :headbanger:

:boobs: 2018/2019 Hockeyagi Champion :boobs:
    Jaimie38
    Lieutenant

by Jaimie38 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:29 pm

ragnaröks_roller wrote:Hi all, I can hardly call myself a "forum fiend" anymore, as I've been a no-show around these parts for quite some time. I need a little help, though, and you awesome cruise folks are the best assortment of people I could think to ask. Maybe you can extend some help?

I've been on the hunt for a new job for a while, and something finally appeared that seems like a real possibility. One thing though -- there's mention of them wanting familiarity with "Agile software development" which I most certainly don't have, as before today I don't think I'd heard the term. I looked it up on the good ol' internet and kind of get the gist of it. Anyone here who could help explain it, or give me some ideas of existing skills I might posses that might help my argument that I'll catch on quick and to PLEASE consider bringing me on anyway?

This job would probably be almost double the salary of my current position and would be about 1000 times more fulfilling. I won't forget any help come January!! :D

Both Cowboy71 and TmCasper are software type dudes--PM them.. They'd know. I don't... I like cars...
    9 Time Vet.
    Wishlist-West of Hell,Hibria,Powerwolf,WASP,DioDisciples,Loudness,
    DangerousToys,Triumph,UDO,SkullFIST,Kobra&theLotus,
    TheOrderofChaos,Diemonds,Riot City, WMD,Demons & Wizards,Liv Sin,Suicidal Angels,Dee Snider
  • ragnaröks_roller
    Chief Petty Officer

by ragnaröks_roller » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:47 am

ShoreSlayer wrote:

:shock: .............. :lol:

Thanks for the help and well-wishes, guys! The comparison to Scrum helps, thanks, Gnoff! Pretty much cements my suspicions that this all boils down to a certain style and work flow that seems pretty obvious to me, but isn't necessarily to others. I think I can get myself thru this. :ugeek:

Any other help still welcome!
    metalheadtop
    Petty Officer

by metalheadtop » Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:47 pm

ragnaröks_roller wrote:
    ShoreSlayer wrote:

:shock: .............. :lol:

Thanks for the help and well-wishes, guys! The comparison to Scrum helps, thanks, Gnoff! Pretty much cements my suspicions that this all boils down to a certain style and work flow that seems pretty obvious to me, but isn't necessarily to others. I think I can get myself thru this. :ugeek:

Any other help still welcome!

There is also a wikipedia that can help understand this type development methodology http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agile_software_development
    It break tasks into small increments with minimal planning, and does not directly involve a long term planning process.

I have been doing programming, networking, security, web, file-systems, Linux, and other IT related junk for over 18 years.
    Survived 70000tons of Metal 2011
    Survived 2012
    BARGE TO HELL
    70000tons 2013
    70,000 tons 2014
    154,000tons 2015
    tmcasper
    Chief Petty Officer

by tmcasper » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:30 pm

yeah....I have been involved with this for a while now...AGILE is a huge umbrella term for basically what software firms have been doing for a while now, which is client-based, flexible development. Bottom line, if you know software and programming and you can work with a group, you will be set!!! I have been in the industry for a few years now, and I just got done with a round of interviews for the next level in NYC, so PM me if you have any questions...and good luck!!! :cheers:
    2011: Deck 5 Cabin 5087
    2012: Deck 8 Cabin 8072
    WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:10 pm

guys, are you all sure they don't mean "AGILE" software, you know, the software package that is named Agile? i'm pretty sure i'm wrong and you guys got this covered but JUST in case:

Agile is a document/design control software package that we use at work. I don't know that we use all the capabilities of Agile, but we use it as configuration control for our drawings, specs, documentation, part mastering, revision control, electronic signatures, change management, all of that is tracked in Agile. The GUI is a tab-based folder looking thing and it is query-able and customizable.

Anika, if this doesn't sound like it would be relevant to the job in question just disregard! but i did want to ensure this was covered in case this is what they mean.
    2011, Barge to Hell, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2020 SOOOOON
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:22 pm

Rhia - good work checking, as there is a possibility it could be what you say but if the wording was exactly as phrased ("Agile software development") then they would definitely be looking for familiarity with the methodology rather than a specific software package.

Its just one of those 'buzz' terms and I think if you familarise yourself with the basics and key terms you'll be fine.

Kinda like "ITIL" - a term that seems to be included in most I.T. job descriptions these days, and I'm certified in it, but I don't ever use it really in my day to day work :P :lol:
    Upcoming Gigs:
    -/-Scar-Symmetry-/-Wind-Rose-/-Unleash-The-Archers-/-Amaranthe
    2025 Wishlist
    Ad-Infinitum-/-Aephanemer-/-All-For-Metal-/-Alterium-/-Ancient-Bards-/-Atlas-Pain-/-Avantasia-/-Battlelore-/Beast-In-Black-/-Believer-/-Beyond-The-Black-/-Brothers-of-Metal-/-Catalyst-Crime-/-Civil-War-/-Circus-Maximus-/-Claymorean-/-Cobra-Spell-/-Dark-Moor-/-Dark-Sarah-/-Dartagnan-/-Diabulus-In-Musica-/-Edguy-/-Ex-Libris-/-Exit-Eden-/-Fellowship-/-Follow-The-Cipher-/-Frozen-Crown-/-Galderia-/-Hammer-King-/-Heavatar-/-Ignea-/-Imperial-Age-/-In-This-Moment-/-Jaldaboath-/-Kaledon-/-Labyrinth-/-Living-Sacrifice-/-Metalite-/-Moonlight-Haze-/-Neopera-/-Nestor-/-Nocturna-/-Orden-Ogan-/-Pathfinder-/-Phantom-Elite-/-Poisonblack-/-Power-Paladin-/-Powerwolf-/-The-Privateer-/-Rexoria-/-Running-Wild-/-She-Wolf-/-Silver-Bullet-/-Sleeping-Romance-/-Sojourner-/-Tarot-/-Ten-/-Thaurorod-/-The-Big-Deal-/-The-Dark-Element-/-Trick-or-Treat-/-Trillium-/-Unisonic-/-Valhalore-/-Vanishing-Point-/-Volturian-/-Walk-In-Darkness-/-Within-Temptation
    metalheadtop
    Petty Officer

by metalheadtop » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:30 pm

I had to lookup ITIL , looks like a complex mess.
    I have been working at the same place for 16 years, working in our own microcosm.
    Funny how people make simple things so complex.
    Survived 70000tons of Metal 2011
    Survived 2012
    BARGE TO HELL
    70000tons 2013
    70,000 tons 2014
    154,000tons 2015
    slayergeek
    Midshipman

by slayergeek » Wed Aug 25, 2021 7:01 am

Agile is just a philosophy in software development.

Little changes, frequent releases, automated testing.

So an agile team would do the following (as part of a sprint)

Plan the next 2 to 4 weeks worth of work
    Execute on that plan, including unit tests, code review, and test...much of the building and testing being automated
    At the end of the cycle you release.

This is different from traditional where you have month and month...sometimes years of work before you release, and when you do you release large amount of new code. With agile you are constantly releasing...some releases are bigger than others. Large projects are broken up into smaller chunks so they can be released in stages.

This is not quite the forum for this...but in general it not something you learn like a programming language...it's a philosophy you adopt.
    Survivor
    • 2014,2015,2016,2017,2018,2019,2020,2023,2024,See_you_in_2025

Absolute_Darkness-Death/Thrash_Band_I_am_the_Singer/Guitarist_for
    • FacebookPage-https://www.facebook.com/BandAbsoluteDarkness

Thud_Bukit-Death/Comedy_Band_I_am_the_Singer/Guitarist/Drummer/Bassist_for
    • FacebookPage-https://www.facebook.com/Thud-Bukit-100960638505481

70k Bands - Unofficial iPhone/Android_app_of_the_70,000_tons_cruise
    WishList
    • Old_Man's_Child-/-Battle_Cross-/-Impaled-/-Dismember-/-Amon_Amarth-/-Dethklok-/-Gruesome-/-Rotten_Sound-/-As_Blood_Runs_Black-/-Through_The_Eyes_Of_The_Dead-/-Testament-/
Post Reply 10 posts Page 1 of 1