Post Reply 6 posts Page 1 of 1
A question for the 70k experienced sailors
  • Kvltraven
    Oiler

A question for the 70k experienced sailors

by Kvltraven » Wed Sep 14, 2022 5:48 am

Last edited by Kvltraven on Tue Feb 14, 2023 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
    2023 Survivor
    mooyagi
    Captain

Re: A question for the 70k experienced sailors

by mooyagi » Wed Sep 14, 2022 7:14 am

1. Yup once the sales open to the general public you just click on the booking link and fill out your info. You'll get a room confirmation once UMC gets to your request in the queue. Though I'm not sure you would get a booking code as a noob. I thought those were just for repeat sailors who get priority access.

2. Yes and they'll play at two different venues. They change up the lineup so you won't have the same band conflict twice. You still probably won't see everything you want but that's part of festivals. The two shows thing does help. Sometimes bands will dedicate one set to a special setlist, like playing an album in its entirety.

3. The food is passable. The Windjammer is the buffet and main source of food for most cruisers. It's not great but I've had much, much worse. There's enough variety where you'll find something to fit your needs. The pizza at Sorrento's for me is an only if very drunk and no other options are available. I had a sandwich at the coffee shop that made me fart liquid so have that at your own risk. The main dining room is quite good usually. The menu changes daily and I try to make an effort to have at least one "fancy" meal there. Expect about 90 minutes for the full service though. The pay per visit places I can't speak much to except for Izumi, which has very good ramen. Not sure if it's still on the menu but definitely give it a shot if you get a chance. Never done room service.

4. The ship has wifi on it, not sure what the prices will be by our sailing but you shouldn't have an issue connecting through that if needed. As for phones, each stateroom does have one. Probably expensive to call out but can be used in case of an emergency. I'd check with the cruise line over how someone landside can reach you via that method.
    I should get around to updating my signature
    cegr80
    Lieutenant

by cegr80 » Wed Sep 14, 2022 2:21 pm

Some additional comments (from my perspective/personal opinion/preferences)

1. I would suggest bunking with a black/gold/silver survivor if possible, because they will get booking codes. This would increase your chances of getting a cabin at a better price. If you do not know any survivors then wait for the public sales to open and book your cabin, you can do that without a partner and they'll bunk you with someone in the same situation as yours.

2. In some rare cases, you can even see a band playing 3 times! But yeah, normally every band plays twice: first time on the way to the caribbean destination and the second time on the way back to port.

3. The food is always a matter of personal opinion. I think the Windjammer is good, but you can always try the upscale places (bear in mind you have to pay for those). The fine dining experience (included): I hear it's good, however it takes too long and you end up missing important hours of bands playing. If you are not that crazy to see as many bands as possible, then do it. Otherwise I would not recommend it. Sorrento's pizzas and cafe sandwiches are life savers, especially when you are in a hurry between sets and need something to eat to continue partying/drinking. Quality-wise they are OK, but some people hate them.

4. Mind the roaming charges on your cell phone! Get an international plan with your provider, otherwise put your phone in Airplane Mode at all times during the cruise
    2017.2018.2019.2020.2023.2024.GOLD.Survivor|2025 Wishlist:1349-1914-Aephanemer-Akercoke-Alcest-Alkaloid-AnaalNathrakh-AnAbstractIllusion-Atvm-Avatar-Avslut-Be'lakor-Belzebubs-ChapelOfDisease-Chthonic-Darkthrone-DiabloSwingOrchestra-Dimmu Borgir-Dodheimsgard-Draconian-EternalTearsOfSorrow-FreakKitchen-Hamferd-IATT-LochVostok-Marduk-NocnyKochanek-Satyricon-Schammasch-Scour-Shining(Nor)-Sigh-SulphurAeon-Turisas-Ulver-Virvum-Watain-WhiteWard
    toby
    Midshipman

by toby » Fri Sep 16, 2022 7:41 am

3 - Food at the Windjammer is passable. I usually stick to the vegan area because I find a lot of the other stuff is overly salted or just makes me feel left. If I'm going to get Sorrento's, it's usually only on the first day. After that, you never know how long that slice has been sitting there. lol We usually do Izumi one meal on the cruise.

4 - My suggestion on the calling aspect is to buy a WiFi package (if your phone supports WiFi calling). Then when we leave port, put your phone in airplane mode and ONLY turn WiFi on. If you get the package, they'll leave an envelope in your room with the info to get on the BOAT WiFi. That's what we typically do because we have family that might need to contact us in case of emergency.
    Survivor 2019,2020,2023,2024/Wishlist...
    A.Sound.Of.Thunder/Accept/Ad.Infinitum/Aether.Realm/Alabama.Thunderpussy/Amaranthe/Anthrax/Arch.Enemy/Art.Of.Anarchy/At.The.Gates/Avantasia/Avatar/Burning.Witches/Cattle.Decapitation/Cemetery.Skyline/Corrosion.Of.Conformity/Crowbar/Dark.Tranquillity/Death.Angel/Death.Dealer.Union/Deathless.Legacy/Devin.Townsend/Dragony/Dream.Theater/Edguy/Elegant.Weapons/Eluveitie/Ensiferum/Exhorder/Exodus/Fates.Warning/Goatwhore/Haken/Hammerfall/Havok/Helloween/Hellscore/Jinjer/Kerry.King/King.Diamond/King's.X/Kobra.and.the.Lotus/Lacuna.Coil/Mercyful.Fate/Meshuggah/Metal.Church/Moonspell/Mors.Principium.Est/Myrath/Napalm.Death/Ne.Obliviscaris/Nekrogoblikon/Northern.Kings/Opeth/Orphaned.Land/Overkill/Paradise.Lost/Persefone/Powerwolf/Queensryche/Rage/Raven/Ravenous.EH/Riot.V/Sabaton/Scardust/Scorched.Moon/Seven.Spires/SIGH/Skiltron/Solemn.Vision/Sonata.Arctica/Soto/Stratovarius/Subway.to.Sally/Suicidal.Tendencies/Svartsot/Symphony.X/Testament/The.Black.Dahlia.Murder/The.Hu/The.Unity/Tribunal/Trouble/Twilight.Force/Unleash.The.Archers/Van.Canto/Within.Temptation
    Pellaz
    Lieutenant

by Pellaz » Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:01 pm

Kvltraven wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 5:48 am Hi everyone,

I have a couple of noob questions that perhaps others may be wondering themselves. I'm planning on attending 70k for the first time and I was hoping there were some experienced sailors that can help.

1. When the "Booking Codes" are released, what do we do then? Do we book on the cruise website using the code? Can someone elaborate on the actual process of buying the ticket and booking your cabin?

You'll have to wait for public sales -- with no early booking codes -- unless you make an arrangement with a previous "Survivor" who gets a booking code for earlier booking. (If I need a third person to go, heck, it might end up being me. :lol: )
    When you book, it's actually called a "booking request," and then later you should get a confirmation.
    2. I've heard that all bands play two times. Is this true?
    Yep, normally each band plays once on the way to the port-of-call, and once on the way back. There have been rare exceptions (Wintersun once played three shows, I think), and there is also the All-Star Jam, which is held once.
    3. How is the food? (No, really...tell the truth)
    Ehh. I've been disappointed a few times by the food available in the Windjammer (buffet) and also in the Main Dining Room; it almost seems like Royal steps back a bit on the quality knowing it's a charter. Generally I've been happier with the dining options on Carnival than on Royal, but that's a pointless data point for most on 70K. Think of the buffet as being similar to a Golden Corral, the MDR as being similar to a Bennigan's and the pizza as... Well, it's there. It's not great but it's there. There might also be small finger sandwiches aailable at the Promenade Cafe (24 hours) although those were hit-and-miss on our last 70k sailing. Johnny Rockets is pretty good but there is a cover charge.
    4. I'm aware that cellphone coverage is sparse and very expensive. What if a family member at home needs to contact you in case of an emergency? I'm assuming there is some way to do that, yes?
    Buy the Wi-Fi package and hope your cellphone has Wi-Fi Calling capability. Before we lose sight of the towers of Miami, turn on Airplane Mode, then re-enable wi-fi. Our ship MAY have Starlink installed for ocean wi-fi service.
    2025 Wishlist:
    1349--Abbath--Abigail.Williams--Aephanemer--Agalloch--Agathodaimon--Alien.Weaponry--Allegaeon--Amon.Amarth--Amorphis--Animals.As.Leaders--Arkona--Arsis--Atrocity--Ayreon--Bal.Sagoth--Baroness--Barren.Earth--Battlelore--Behemoth--Below.7--Belzebubs--Be'lakor--Black.Crown.Initiate--Bloodbath--Borknagar--Broken.Trinity--Cannibal.Corpse--Chthe'ilist--CoF--Countless.Skies--Cynic--Demons.&.Wizards--Dimmu.Borgir--Dark.Tranquillity--Dragonforce--Edge.of.Sanity--Witherscape--anything.Dan.Swano--Eluveitie--Eneferens--Ensiferum--Enslaved--Eternal.Tears.of.Sorrow--Evergrey--Exmortus--Ex.Deo--Fear.Factory--Fires.In.the.Distance--Gojira--Graveworm--Green.Carnation--Hypocrisy--Immortal--Insomnium--Irreversible.Mechanism--Kalmah--Kamelot--Keep.Of.Kalessin--Korpiklaani--Kreator--Leprous--Luciferan.Light.Orchestra--Loss--Melechesh--Meshuggah--Mezarkabul--Moonspell--Mors.Principium.Est--Myrath--Ne.Obliviscaris--Nile--Nokturnal.Mortem--NorthTale--Novembers.Doom--Obscura--Old.Mans.Child--Opeth--Paladin--Poisonblack--Powerwolf--Primordial--Rapheumet's.Well--Raven--Rivers.Of.Nihil--Ryujin--Sabaton--Sadistic.Ritual--Samael--Satyricon--Savatage--Scale.the.Summit--Scorched.Moon--Septic.Flesh--Serious.Black--Seven.Spires--Sigh--Skalmold--Slough.Feg--Starkill--Steorrah--SYL--Suidakra--Summoning--Tarot--Therion--Thy.Serpent--Tomarum--Tomb.Mold--Turisas--Twilight.Force--Tyr--Vale.Of.Pnath--Valhalore--Vesania--Vintersorg--Wolfchant--Yyrkoon
    2015-2020; 2023-2024: Survivor
    2025: most likely
  • Kvltraven
    Oiler

by Kvltraven » Sun Oct 30, 2022 1:14 pm

Thanks for answering my questions everyone. I really appreciate it.

As of now, I'm just waiting for the opportunity to book like everyone else. Since I'm coming alone, I'm just going to book a regular room for the cheapest price since I don't really plan to spend much time in the room anyway. I've seen that bands are starting to be announced and it looks good so far. Thanks again and I'll see you at sea.
    2023 Survivor
Post Reply 6 posts Page 1 of 1