Post Reply 8 posts Page 1 of 1
Questions for the lifters… of Heavy Metal!
    AverageMetalDrummer
    Chief Petty Officer

Questions for the lifters… of Heavy Metal!

by AverageMetalDrummer » Sun Nov 06, 2022 2:34 pm

1. What is the gym situation like onboard? Do they have free weights, machines, etc.?

2. I know we’re not allowed to bring food onboard, but how do they feel about supplements like whey protein powder or creatine powder?
    Someday, I will crack the code to enter my wishlist on my signature…
    Pellaz
    Lieutenant

Re: Questions for the lifters… of Heavy Metal!

by Pellaz » Thu Nov 10, 2022 9:54 pm

AverageMetalDrummer wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 2:34 pm 1. What is the gym situation like onboard? Do they have free weights, machines, etc.?
    I'm certain they have machines and almost as certain they have free weights. Try Googling for photos of a gym on any of the Freedom-class ships. There might also be a boxing ring; I know there was one on the Independence or the Liberty.
    2. I know we’re not allowed to bring food onboard, but how do they feel about supplements like whey protein powder or creatine powder?
    I'm thinking that's probably a "no." You could try to include some in your checked luggage and either get lucky it doesn't get X-rayed or they don't care enough to confiscate it.
    2025 Wishlist:
    1349--Abbath--Abigail.Williams--Aephanemer--Agalloch--Agathodaimon--Alien.Weaponry--Allegaeon--Amon.Amarth--Amorphis--Animals.As.Leaders--Arkona--Arsis--Atrocity--Ayreon--Bal.Sagoth--Baroness--Barren.Earth--Battlelore--Behemoth--Below.7--Belzebubs--Be'lakor--Black.Crown.Initiate--Bloodbath--Borknagar--Broken.Trinity--Cannibal.Corpse--Chthe'ilist--CoF--Countless.Skies--Cynic--Demons.&.Wizards--Dimmu.Borgir--Dark.Tranquillity--Dragonforce--Edge.of.Sanity--Witherscape--anything.Dan.Swano--Eluveitie--Eneferens--Ensiferum--Enslaved--Eternal.Tears.of.Sorrow--Evergrey--Exmortus--Ex.Deo--Fear.Factory--Fires.In.the.Distance--Gojira--Graveworm--Green.Carnation--Hypocrisy--Immortal--Insomnium--Irreversible.Mechanism--Kalmah--Kamelot--Keep.Of.Kalessin--Korpiklaani--Kreator--Leprous--Luciferan.Light.Orchestra--Loss--Melechesh--Meshuggah--Mezarkabul--Moonspell--Mors.Principium.Est--Myrath--Ne.Obliviscaris--Nile--Nokturnal.Mortem--NorthTale--Novembers.Doom--Obscura--Old.Mans.Child--Opeth--Paladin--Poisonblack--Powerwolf--Primordial--Rapheumet's.Well--Raven--Rivers.Of.Nihil--Ryujin--Sabaton--Sadistic.Ritual--Samael--Satyricon--Savatage--Scale.the.Summit--Scorched.Moon--Septic.Flesh--Serious.Black--Seven.Spires--Sigh--Skalmold--Slough.Feg--Starkill--Steorrah--SYL--Suidakra--Summoning--Tarot--Therion--Thy.Serpent--Tomarum--Tomb.Mold--Turisas--Twilight.Force--Tyr--Vale.Of.Pnath--Valhalore--Vesania--Vintersorg--Wolfchant--Yyrkoon
    2015-2020; 2023-2024: Survivor
    2025: most likely
  • Godflesh
    Ensign

by Godflesh » Fri Nov 11, 2022 12:03 am

From the time I was going to the gym, they have a good number of machines, and they face the bow with a full open view, so the view and feeling are awesome, *except* or *especially* when the ship jumps up and down while you’re trying to walk/run.
    The number of free weights seemed average, though.

If you bring your powders in individual 3.5 grams plastic bags, you shouldn’t have any issues.
    AverageMetalDrummer
    Chief Petty Officer

by AverageMetalDrummer » Fri Nov 11, 2022 11:25 am

Godflesh wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 12:03 am From the time I was going to the gym, they have a good number of machines, and they face the bow with a full open view, so the view and feeling are awesome, *except* or *especially* when the ship jumps up and down while you’re trying to walk/run.
    The number of free weights seemed average, though.

If you bring your powders in individual 3.5 grams plastic bags, you shouldn’t have any issues.
    Sounds awesome! I can work with whatever free weights they have. These workouts won’t be as hardcore as what I do regularly. Thanks for the tips on the bags.
    AverageMetalDrummer
    Chief Petty Officer

by AverageMetalDrummer » Fri Nov 11, 2022 11:32 am

Pellaz wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 9:54 pm
    AverageMetalDrummer wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 2:34 pm 1. What is the gym situation like onboard? Do they have free weights, machines, etc.?
    I'm certain they have machines and almost as certain they have free weights. Try Googling for photos of a gym on any of the Freedom-class ships. There might also be a boxing ring; I know there was one on the Independence or the Liberty.

Right on, thanks! I’ll work with whatever they have.
    toby
    Midshipman

by toby » Fri Nov 11, 2022 1:16 pm

They definitely have a variety of machines (elliptical, treadmill, bikes, weight). I think I remember there being dumbbells and kettlebells there. Found this on Youtube, but didn't watch it yet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKLjgIQsI0g

I don't think you'll get hassled for protein or creatine powder. They're more concerned about things like food and alcohol because of the revenue perspective. I don't think they sell supplements. lol
    Survivor 2019,2020,2023,2024/Wishlist...
    A.Sound.Of.Thunder/Accept/Ad.Infinitum/Aether.Realm/Alabama.Thunderpussy/Amaranthe/Anthrax/Arch.Enemy/Art.Of.Anarchy/At.The.Gates/Avantasia/Avatar/Burning.Witches/Cattle.Decapitation/Cemetery.Skyline/Corrosion.Of.Conformity/Crowbar/Dark.Tranquillity/Death.Angel/Death.Dealer.Union/Deathless.Legacy/Devin.Townsend/Dragony/Dream.Theater/Edguy/Elegant.Weapons/Eluveitie/Ensiferum/Exhorder/Exodus/Fates.Warning/Goatwhore/Haken/Hammerfall/Havok/Helloween/Hellscore/Jinjer/Kerry.King/King.Diamond/King's.X/Kobra.and.the.Lotus/Lacuna.Coil/Mercyful.Fate/Meshuggah/Metal.Church/Moonspell/Mors.Principium.Est/Myrath/Napalm.Death/Ne.Obliviscaris/Nekrogoblikon/Northern.Kings/Opeth/Orphaned.Land/Overkill/Paradise.Lost/Persefone/Powerwolf/Queensryche/Rage/Raven/Ravenous.EH/Riot.V/Sabaton/Scardust/Scorched.Moon/Seven.Spires/SIGH/Skiltron/Solemn.Vision/Sonata.Arctica/Soto/Stratovarius/Subway.to.Sally/Suicidal.Tendencies/Svartsot/Symphony.X/Testament/The.Black.Dahlia.Murder/The.Hu/The.Unity/Tribunal/Trouble/Twilight.Force/Unleash.The.Archers/Van.Canto/Within.Temptation
    AverageMetalDrummer
    Chief Petty Officer

by AverageMetalDrummer » Fri Nov 11, 2022 2:18 pm

toby wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 1:16 pm

They definitely have a variety of machines (elliptical, treadmill, bikes, weight). I think I remember there being dumbbells and kettlebells there. Found this on Youtube, but didn't watch it yet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKLjgIQsI0g

I don't think you'll get hassled for protein or creatine powder. They're more concerned about things like food and alcohol because of the revenue perspective. I don't think they sell supplements. lol
    I checked out the video. That gym looks quite awesome! I was expecting a rack of dumbbells and a few benches; they have everything I need and more! Thanks for digging that up!
    Yippee38
    Petty Officer

by Yippee38 » Sat Dec 17, 2022 10:08 pm

Yeah. The gym is pretty nice. I can't remember about free weights, but there's lots of weight lifting machines. I do know that the gym is pretty active during the day.

I'm hoping they don't have a problem with protein powder, etc.. I guess I'll find out this year.
Post Reply 8 posts Page 1 of 1