Post Reply 31 posts Page 1 of 1
How was it?
  • Jotunheimr
    Midshipman

How was it?

by Jotunheimr » Sat Mar 04, 2023 7:05 pm

Sorry if this has been asked before but how was the experience this year compared to previous years? I heard that they were far from selling out this year. Is that because of the aftermath of COVID? And why do you think there were only 2 headliners this time? I really wanted to go but couldn’t get time off work but I’ll be there next time for sure.
    2015: 6511
    2016: 7455
    2020: 3240
    2025:

2024 Gigs: Tyr&Trollfest-/-Korpiklaani-/-Firewind-/-Kamelot-/-Exhumed-/-AmonAmarth

Wishlist: AdornedBrood-/-Alestorm-/-Arcturus-/-Arkona-/-Arsis-/-Artension-/-BeastInBlack-/-Blackguard-/-BlackMessiah-/-Borknagar-/-Carcass-/-CarpathianForest-/-CircleIICircle-/-Crownshift-/-Cruachan-/-Cryptosis-/-Dalriada-/-DerWegEinerFreiheit-/-DimmuBorgir-/-Einherjer-/-Eluveitie-/-Elvenking-/-Ensiferum-/-Enslaved-/-Equilibrium-/-Falconer-/-Falkenbach-/-Fejd-/-Feuerschwanz-/-Finntroll-/-Finsterforst-/-Firewind-/-FleshgodApocalypse-/-Folkearth-/-Forefather-/-Gåte-/-Glittertind-/-Gorguts-/-Haggard-/-HarakiriForTheSky-/-Heidevolk-/-Isengard-/-JonOlivasPain-/-Kampfar-/-KingOfAsgard-/-KivimetsanDruidi-/-Korpiklaani-/-Krisiun-/-LornaShore-/-Lumsk-/-Manegarm-/-Metsatoll-/-Mithotyn-/-Moonsorrow-/-Moonspell-/-Necrophagist-/-Nightwish-/-OfTheWandAndTheMoon-/-Otyg-/-Primordial-/-RiotV-/-RottingChrist-/-Sabaton-/-Savatage-/-SevenSpires-/-Skalmold-/-Skiltron-/-Skyforger-/-Sodom-/-Solstafir-/-Spellblast-/-SpiritsOfFire-/-SteelPanther-/-Svartsot-/-Swashbuckle-/-Testament-/-TheBlackDahliaMurder-/-TheHaunted-/-Thorondir-/-Thyrfing-/-ToxicHolocaust-/-Trollfest-/-Turisas-/-Tyr-/-Ulver-/-Varg-/-Verikalpa-/-Vintersorg-/-Warmen-/-Wintersun-/-Wolfchant
    cowboy71
    Commander

Re: How was it?

by cowboy71 » Sat Mar 04, 2023 7:32 pm

Jotunheimr wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 7:05 pm Sorry if this has been asked before but how was the experience this year compared to previous years? I heard that they were far from selling out this year. Is that because of the aftermath of COVID? And why do you think there were only 2 headliners this time? I really wanted to go but couldn’t get time off work but I’ll be there next time for sure.
    I had one of the most enjoyable 70k's yet.

Yeah numbers were down, but that made it easier to get around, and the lines for things like meet and greets and merch were substantially reduced.

Pretty sure the reduction in numbers was partly because people are/were still wary of travel due to covid, but also mainly due to booking opening so late.

Two headliners was no big deal for me. Most annoying thing was that no other bands were scheduled while Nightwish were playing.

There were other 'speed bumps' along the way - the passenger needing medical attention, sound quality at most shows wasn't great and there were lots of delays due to technical issues.

But - all part of the wonderful, ever-changing 70k experience.
    Last edited by cowboy71 on Sat Mar 04, 2023 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Upcoming Gigs:
    -/-Halestorm?-/-Fleshgod-Apocalypse-/-Scar-Symmetry-/-Wind-Rose-/-Unleash-The-Archers
    2025 Wishlist
    Ad-Infinitum-/-Aephanemer-/-All-For-Metal-/-Alterium-/-Ancient-Bards-/-Atlas-Pain-/-Avantasia-/-Battlelore-/Beast-In-Black-/-Believer-/-Beyond-The-Black-/-Brothers-of-Metal-/-Catalyst-Crime-/-Civil-War-/-Circus-Maximus-/-Claymorean-/-Cobra-Spell-/-Dark-Moor-/-Dark-Sarah-/-Dartagnan-/-Diabulus-In-Musica-/-Edguy-/-Ex-Libris-/-Exit-Eden-/-Fellowship-/-Follow-The-Cipher-/-Frozen-Crown-/-Galderia-/-Hammer-King-/-Heavatar-/-Ignea-/-Imperial-Age-/-In-This-Moment-/-Jaldaboath-/-Kaledon-/-Labyrinth-/-Living-Sacrifice-/-Metalite-/-Moonlight-Haze-/-Neopera-/-Nestor-/-Nocturna-/-Orden-Ogan-/-Pathfinder-/-Phantom-Elite-/-Poisonblack-/-Power-Paladin-/-Powerwolf-/-The-Privateer-/-Rexoria-/-Running-Wild-/-She-Wolf-/-Silver-Bullet-/-Sleeping-Romance-/-Sojourner-/-Tarot-/-Ten-/-Thaurorod-/-The-Big-Deal-/-The-Dark-Element-/-Trick-or-Treat-/-Trillium-/-Unisonic-/-Valhalore-/-Vanishing-Point-/-Volturian-/-Walk-In-Darkness-/-Within-Temptation
    acidbasement
    Chief Petty Officer

by acidbasement » Sat Mar 04, 2023 10:25 pm

It was probably my best experience yet, of the seven times I've sailed. I thought sound quality was mostly excellent, and they actually kept the volume at reasonable levels too. Food was good. It seemed a bit empty but that meant it was easy to find your friends. Also, the new RC app that gives you free texting to people onbroad was wonderful. The destination was amazing and the fact that we didn't have to go through high winds to get there was great. Weather was perfect.

Delays were problematic and caused shortened sets, that kinda sucked.
    I'm only here to do two things: play the bagpipes and gargle sulphuric acid. Looks like we're almost out of acid.
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Sat Mar 04, 2023 10:34 pm

acidbasement wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 10:25 pm It was probably my best experience yet, of the seven times I've sailed. I thought sound quality was mostly excellent, and they actually kept the volume at reasonable levels too. Food was good. It seemed a bit empty but that meant it was easy to find your friends. Also, the new RC app that gives you free texting to people onbroad was wonderful. The destination was amazing and the fact that we didn't have to go through high winds to get there was great. Weather was perfect.

Delays were problematic and caused shortened sets, that kinda sucked.
    Yes - the shorter travel distance to the destination was GREAT. Such an easy voyage we barely ever noticed we were moving! Because lets face it, we barely were :P

And the RC App was magnificent!
    Upcoming Gigs:
    -/-Halestorm?-/-Fleshgod-Apocalypse-/-Scar-Symmetry-/-Wind-Rose-/-Unleash-The-Archers
    2025 Wishlist
    Ad-Infinitum-/-Aephanemer-/-All-For-Metal-/-Alterium-/-Ancient-Bards-/-Atlas-Pain-/-Avantasia-/-Battlelore-/Beast-In-Black-/-Believer-/-Beyond-The-Black-/-Brothers-of-Metal-/-Catalyst-Crime-/-Civil-War-/-Circus-Maximus-/-Claymorean-/-Cobra-Spell-/-Dark-Moor-/-Dark-Sarah-/-Dartagnan-/-Diabulus-In-Musica-/-Edguy-/-Ex-Libris-/-Exit-Eden-/-Fellowship-/-Follow-The-Cipher-/-Frozen-Crown-/-Galderia-/-Hammer-King-/-Heavatar-/-Ignea-/-Imperial-Age-/-In-This-Moment-/-Jaldaboath-/-Kaledon-/-Labyrinth-/-Living-Sacrifice-/-Metalite-/-Moonlight-Haze-/-Neopera-/-Nestor-/-Nocturna-/-Orden-Ogan-/-Pathfinder-/-Phantom-Elite-/-Poisonblack-/-Power-Paladin-/-Powerwolf-/-The-Privateer-/-Rexoria-/-Running-Wild-/-She-Wolf-/-Silver-Bullet-/-Sleeping-Romance-/-Sojourner-/-Tarot-/-Ten-/-Thaurorod-/-The-Big-Deal-/-The-Dark-Element-/-Trick-or-Treat-/-Trillium-/-Unisonic-/-Valhalore-/-Vanishing-Point-/-Volturian-/-Walk-In-Darkness-/-Within-Temptation
    bodomdragon
    Sub-Lieutenant

by bodomdragon » Mon Mar 06, 2023 3:17 pm

I also think that the sound quality was in general terms great this year. There were more delays than ever, but at least when they started, the sound was good. The biggest exception to this was Deathless Legacy at the lounge, where I could not hear the singer at all.
    Wishlist:
    Ad.Infinitum--Aephanemer--Alestorm--Anthriel--AVANTASIA--Axxis--
    Battle.Beast--Beast.in.Black--Belzebubs--Be'lakor--BEYOND.THE.BLACK--Borealis--BORKNAGAR--Brymir--Caligula's.Horse--CHAOSBAY--Countless.Skies--Crowne--Dimmu.Borgir--DGM--Distorted.Harmony--DragonForce--Dream.Theater--Eclipse.(Sweden)--ELECTRIC.CALLBOY--Ensiferum--Evergrey--FEUERSCHWANZ--Fractal.Gates--Freedom.Call--GAMMA.RAY--Haken--Hei'an--Helloween--In.Mourning--INSOMNIUM--Kamelot--Keep.Of.Kalessin--KISSIN'.DYNAMITE--MERCENARY--Moonsorrow--Ne.Obliviscaris--Orden.Ogan--Pretty.Maids--Powerglove--PYRAMAZE--SABATON--SEVENTH.WONDER--Shade.Empire--Skeletoon--SOEN--Subterranean.Masquerade--SYMPHONY.X--Tremonti--Trollfest--Unleash.The.Archers--VISIONS.OF.ATLANTIS--VOLA--Volbeat--VOYAGER--WIDEK--Wilderun--Wintersun

2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2023, 2024: Survivor

Unofficial 70K User Guide: https://70kguide.wordpress.com
    slayergeek
    Midshipman

by slayergeek » Mon Mar 06, 2023 3:26 pm

Yea I thought this year was excellent as well. I think the low crowds were mainly due to the short notice. Granted there were other factors, inflation, pandemic, but I think if Andy would have announced 8 month before sail...he would have found more then enough takers...but who knows.

The sound was much improved...though as others have mentioned, there were technical issues for certain sets.

I missed the more crowded ship when walking around, especially the promenade, but then again I did not miss the crowds when ordering coffee, or a beer, and even getting merch, everything was super quick and easy in that department.

For any 70K alumni who did not go because they thought the experience would be sub par...you were wrong..period. For those that did not go because of the late announcements, or could not afford the increased prices, especially with the short notice...I get it. Hopefully we will get plenty of notice this year, and hopefully airline prices and other expenses will be more reasonable for 2024!

I look forward to a full boat in 24, and will deal with the return of lines :)
    Survivor
    • 2014,2015,2016,2017,2018,2019,2020,2023,2024,See_you_in_2025

Absolute_Darkness-Death/Thrash_Band_I_am_the_Singer/Guitarist_for
    • FacebookPage-https://www.facebook.com/BandAbsoluteDarkness

Thud_Bukit-Death/Comedy_Band_I_am_the_Singer/Guitarist/Drummer/Bassist_for
    • FacebookPage-https://www.facebook.com/Thud-Bukit-100960638505481

70k Bands - Unofficial iPhone/Android_app_of_the_70,000_tons_cruise
    WishList
    • Old_Man's_Child-/-Battle_Cross-/-Impaled-/-Dismember-/-Amon_Amarth-/-Dethklok-/-Gruesome-/-Rotten_Sound-/-As_Blood_Runs_Black-/-Through_The_Eyes_Of_The_Dead-/-Testament-/
    toby
    Midshipman

by toby » Mon Mar 06, 2023 4:56 pm

bodomdragon wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 3:17 pm I also think that the sound quality was in general terms great this year. There were more delays than ever, but at least when they started, the sound was good. The biggest exception to this was Deathless Legacy at the lounge, where I could not hear the singer at all.
    Yeah, she was definitely low in the mix when it started. I was right by the speakers in a seat, though, so it wasn't horrible.
    Survivor 2019,2020,2023,2024/Wishlist...
    A.Sound.Of.Thunder/Accept/Ad.Infinitum/Aether.Realm/Alabama.Thunderpussy/Amaranthe/Anthrax/Arch.Enemy/Art.Of.Anarchy/At.The.Gates/Avantasia/Avatar/Burning.Witches/Cattle.Decapitation/Cemetery.Skyline/Corrosion.Of.Conformity/Crowbar/Dark.Tranquillity/Death.Angel/Death.Dealer.Union/Deathless.Legacy/Devin.Townsend/Dragony/Dream.Theater/Edguy/Elegant.Weapons/Eluveitie/Ensiferum/Exhorder/Exodus/Fates.Warning/Goatwhore/Haken/Hammerfall/Havok/Helloween/Hellscore/Jinjer/Kerry.King/King.Diamond/King's.X/Kobra.and.the.Lotus/Lacuna.Coil/Mercyful.Fate/Meshuggah/Metal.Church/Moonspell/Mors.Principium.Est/Myrath/Napalm.Death/Ne.Obliviscaris/Nekrogoblikon/Northern.Kings/Opeth/Orphaned.Land/Overkill/Paradise.Lost/Persefone/Powerwolf/Queensryche/Rage/Raven/Ravenous.EH/Riot.V/Sabaton/Scardust/Scorched.Moon/Seven.Spires/SIGH/Skiltron/Solemn.Vision/Sonata.Arctica/Soto/Stratovarius/Subway.to.Sally/Suicidal.Tendencies/Svartsot/Symphony.X/Testament/The.Black.Dahlia.Murder/The.Hu/The.Unity/Tribunal/Trouble/Twilight.Force/Unleash.The.Archers/Van.Canto/Within.Temptation
  • Jotunheimr
    Midshipman

by Jotunheimr » Mon Mar 06, 2023 6:10 pm

cowboy71 wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 7:32 pm Most annoying thing was that no other bands were scheduled while Nightwish were playing.
    That sounds great if you're not into Nightwish. More time to chill out and eat a good meal without missing anything.
    2015: 6511
    2016: 7455
    2020: 3240
    2025:

2024 Gigs: Tyr&Trollfest-/-Korpiklaani-/-Firewind-/-Kamelot-/-Exhumed-/-AmonAmarth

Wishlist: AdornedBrood-/-Alestorm-/-Arcturus-/-Arkona-/-Arsis-/-Artension-/-BeastInBlack-/-Blackguard-/-BlackMessiah-/-Borknagar-/-Carcass-/-CarpathianForest-/-CircleIICircle-/-Crownshift-/-Cruachan-/-Cryptosis-/-Dalriada-/-DerWegEinerFreiheit-/-DimmuBorgir-/-Einherjer-/-Eluveitie-/-Elvenking-/-Ensiferum-/-Enslaved-/-Equilibrium-/-Falconer-/-Falkenbach-/-Fejd-/-Feuerschwanz-/-Finntroll-/-Finsterforst-/-Firewind-/-FleshgodApocalypse-/-Folkearth-/-Forefather-/-Gåte-/-Glittertind-/-Gorguts-/-Haggard-/-HarakiriForTheSky-/-Heidevolk-/-Isengard-/-JonOlivasPain-/-Kampfar-/-KingOfAsgard-/-KivimetsanDruidi-/-Korpiklaani-/-Krisiun-/-LornaShore-/-Lumsk-/-Manegarm-/-Metsatoll-/-Mithotyn-/-Moonsorrow-/-Moonspell-/-Necrophagist-/-Nightwish-/-OfTheWandAndTheMoon-/-Otyg-/-Primordial-/-RiotV-/-RottingChrist-/-Sabaton-/-Savatage-/-SevenSpires-/-Skalmold-/-Skiltron-/-Skyforger-/-Sodom-/-Solstafir-/-Spellblast-/-SpiritsOfFire-/-SteelPanther-/-Svartsot-/-Swashbuckle-/-Testament-/-TheBlackDahliaMurder-/-TheHaunted-/-Thorondir-/-Thyrfing-/-ToxicHolocaust-/-Trollfest-/-Turisas-/-Tyr-/-Ulver-/-Varg-/-Verikalpa-/-Vintersorg-/-Warmen-/-Wintersun-/-Wolfchant
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Mon Mar 06, 2023 6:12 pm

Jotunheimr wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 6:10 pm
    cowboy71 wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 7:32 pm Most annoying thing was that no other bands were scheduled while Nightwish were playing.
    That sounds great if you're not into Nightwish. More time to chill out and eat a good meal without missing anything.
    Yeah depends on how you look at it I guess :) I didn't like it because it meant there were these two 90 minute periods where I potentially could have seen other bands that might clash otherwise.
    Upcoming Gigs:
    2025 Wishlist
    Sgt. B
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Sgt. B » Tue Mar 07, 2023 8:13 am

Jotunheimr wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 6:10 pm
    If I remember correctly, none of the restaurants were open during the times the played. Except Sorrento's.
    1914-Abbath-Aeon-Ahab-Akercocke-Alcest-AliceCooper-Alestorm-AmonAmarth-Amorphis-AnaalNathrakh-Anathema-AnnekeVanGeirsbergen/VUUR-ArmoredSaint-Asphyx-AtTheGates-Auðn-Ayreon-BarrenEarth-Behemoth-Be'lakor-BlackBreath-BlackFast-BlindGuardian-Borknagar-Brainstorm-CallenishCircle-Candlemass-CarpenterBrut-ChelseaWolfe-CirithUngol-Cloak-Conan-CravenIdol-Cruachan-CryptSermon-CultOfLuna-CutUp-DarkAngel-DarkFortress-DeadCongregation-DeathAngel-DemolitionHammer-Demons&Wizards-DevinTownsend-Dismember-DraggedIntoSunlight-Dyscarnate-EdgeOfSanity-ElectricWizard-Emperor-Enforcer-Enshine-Entombed-Entrails-EsotericUK-Evocation-Exodus-Evoken-Exhorder-Falkenbach-FatesWarning-Fen-Feral-Firespawn-Flotsam&Jetsam-ForgottenTomb-GeneralSurgery-Ghost-GhostBath-Ghoul-Godflesh-Gojira-Gorguts-Gorod-GrandMagus-Grave-GraveMiasma-GreenCarnation-Haemorrhage-HammersOfMisfortune-Hate-HighSpirits-HoodedMenace-Hypocrisy-IcedEarth-Ihsahn-Immolation-ImperiumDekadenz-InTheWoods-Incantation-InterArma-IronReagan-Izegrim-Kadavar-Kampfar-KeepOfKalessin-Khemmis-Khonsu-KingDiamond/MercyfulFate-KingGoat-Kriegsmaschine-LaazRockit-LacunaCoil-LegionOfTheDamned-LIK-LimbonicArt-Loudness-Lvcifyre(UK)-Manegarm-Melechesh-Memoriam-Mgla-MiseryIndex-Mistur-MonsterMagnet-Moonsorrow-Moonspell-MournfulCongregation-MunicipalWaste-MyDyingBride-Myrkur-MysticProphecy-Nails-Necrot-NovembersDoom-Novembre-NuclearAssault-Okera-Opeth-OrangeGoblin-OranssiPazuzu-Orchid-Overkill-PagansMind-Panopticon-Perturbator-Portal-Powerwolf-Primordial-Profetus-PowerTrip-Prong-Queensryche-RottenSound-RottingChrist-S.O.D.-Sabbat(UK)-SacredReich-Sanctuary-Saor-Sarke-Saturnus-Satyricon-Saxon-Schammasch-SecretsOfTheMoon-ShapeOfDespair-SkeletalRemains-Skeletonwitch-Skepticism-Skyclad-Skyforger-Sleep-SloughFeg-Solstafir-SufferingHour-SuicidalAngels-SulphurAeon-SvartCrown-Sylosis-TempleOfVoid-Testament-TheCrown-TheGathering-TheGreatOldOnes-TheHaunted-TheLurkingFear-TheOcean-TheRuinsOfBeverast-Therion-Thulcandra-Thyrfing-Tribulation-Triptykon-Uada-Ulcerate-Unleashed-Vader-Vemod-Vio-Lence-Visigoth-Voices(UK)-Vredehammer-Vreid-WakeTheDead-Watain-Wayfarer-Waylander-Windhand-Winterfylleth-Witherscape-WithinTemptation-Wolf-WolvesInTheThroneRoom-Yob-Zhrine

2012: Survivor
    2014: Survivor
    2015: Survivor
    2016: Survivor
    2017: Survivor
    2018: Survivor
    2019: Survivor
    2020: Survivor
    2023: Survivor
    2024: Survivor
    BtH(2012): Survivor
  • sflheadbanger
    Petty Officer

by sflheadbanger » Tue Mar 07, 2023 8:43 am

slayergeek wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 3:26 pm Yea I thought this year was excellent as well. I think the low crowds were mainly due to the short notice. Granted there were other factors, inflation, pandemic, but I think if Andy would have announced 8 month before sail...he would have found more then enough takers...but who knows.

The sound was much improved...though as others have mentioned, there were technical issues for certain sets.

I missed the more crowded ship when walking around, especially the promenade, but then again I did not miss the crowds when ordering coffee, or a beer, and even getting merch, everything was super quick and easy in that department.

For any 70K alumni who did not go because they thought the experience would be sub par...you were wrong..period. For those that did not go because of the late announcements, or could not afford the increased prices, especially with the short notice...I get it. Hopefully we will get plenty of notice this year, and hopefully airline prices and other expenses will be more reasonable for 2024!

I look forward to a full boat in 24, and will deal with the return of lines :)
    This was our first time and we enjoyed not having long lines for anything. Guess I'll have to prepare myself for a more crowded boat next year. How much worse is it usually?

To answer OP's question, I can't speak to previous years, but this year was EPIC. I don't have the words to describe how amazing the entire experience was, We'll be back every year we can. Sure there were issues, but on the whole, just amazing.
    2023, 2024
    toby
    Midshipman

by toby » Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:18 am

sflheadbanger wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 8:43 am
    This was our first time and we enjoyed not having long lines for anything. Guess I'll have to prepare myself for a more crowded boat next year. How much worse is it usually?
    I know the official numbers put it at 85-90% of previous years, but I think the 66.6-70% guesstimate is probably closer to accurate from the feel of things. So, basically, picture an increase of 50% over the people that were there this round.
    A.Sound.Of.Thunder/Accept/Ad.Infinitum/Aether.Realm/Alabama.Thunderpussy/Amaranthe/Anthrax/Arch.Enemy/Art.Of.Anarchy/At.The.Gates/Avantasia/Avatar/Burning.Witches/Cattle.Decapitation/Cemetery.Skyline/Corrosion.Of.Conformity/Crowbar/Dark.Tranquillity/Death.Angel/Death.Dealer.Union/Deathless.Legacy/Devin.Townsend/Dragony/Dream.Theater/Edguy/Elegant.Weapons/Eluveitie/Ensiferum/Exhorder/Exodus/Fates.Warning/Goatwhore/Haken/Hammerfall/Havok/Helloween/Hellscore/Jinjer/Kerry.King/King.Diamond/King's.X/Kobra.and.the.Lotus/Lacuna.Coil/Mercyful.Fate/Meshuggah/Metal.Church/Moonspell/Mors.Principium.Est/Myrath/Napalm.Death/Ne.Obliviscaris/Nekrogoblikon/Northern.Kings/Opeth/Orphaned.Land/Overkill/Paradise.Lost/Persefone/Powerwolf/Queensryche/Rage/Raven/Ravenous.EH/Riot.V/Sabaton/Scardust/Scorched.Moon/Seven.Spires/SIGH/Skiltron/Solemn.Vision/Sonata.Arctica/Soto/Stratovarius/Subway.to.Sally/Suicidal.Tendencies/Svartsot/Symphony.X/Testament/The.Black.Dahlia.Murder/The.Hu/The.Unity/Tribunal/Trouble/Twilight.Force/Unleash.The.Archers/Van.Canto/Within.Temptation
  • sflheadbanger
    Petty Officer

by sflheadbanger » Tue Mar 07, 2023 11:51 am

toby wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:18 am
    I know the official numbers put it at 85-90% of previous years, but I think the 66.6-70% guesstimate is probably closer to accurate from the feel of things. So, basically, picture an increase of 50% over the people that were there this round.
    50% more? Yikes! That certainly would be much busier.
    2023, 2024
    toby
    Midshipman

by toby » Tue Mar 07, 2023 12:08 pm

sflheadbanger wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 11:51 am
    Yeah, it felt like there were more in the area of 2000-2200 people instead of the usual 3000-3100 (only counting paying passengers). None of the venues seemed close to the crowds in my previous rounds.
    cegr80
    Lieutenant

by cegr80 » Tue Mar 07, 2023 12:54 pm

I had a total blast this year, same as my previous four boats. No major complaints this time :viking:
    2017.2018.2019.2020.2023.2024.GOLD.Survivor|2025 Wishlist:1349-1914-Aephanemer-Akercoke-Alcest-Alkaloid-AnaalNathrakh-AnAbstractIllusion-Atvm-Avatar-Avslut-Be'lakor-Belzebubs-ChapelOfDisease-Chthonic-Darkthrone-DiabloSwingOrchestra-Dimmu Borgir-Dodheimsgard-Draconian-EternalTearsOfSorrow-FreakKitchen-Hamferd-IATT-LochVostok-Marduk-NocnyKochanek-Satyricon-Schammasch-Scour-Shining(Nor)-Sigh-SulphurAeon-Turisas-Ulver-Virvum-Watain-WhiteWard
  • Downvod
    Midshipman

by Downvod » Tue Mar 07, 2023 12:54 pm

Don't be intimidated by the prospect of a bigger crowd. It makes the merch queue longer for sure, but nothing else is ever much of an issue. I don't recall ever having my experience negatively impacted by the boat being full. If anything, it definitely adds to the atmosphere that makes the cruise special.
    70k 2016: Cabin 7279
    70k 2017: Cabin 6361
    70k 2018: Cabin 1704
    70k 2019: Cabin 1402
    70k 2020: Cabin 9220
    70k 2023: Cabin 1704
    70k 2024: Cabin 1688

Abbath-/-AEPHANEMER-/-Aetherian-/-Alestorm-/-Allegaeon-/-Amon.Amarth-/-Amorphis-/-Andy.Gillion-/-Animals.as.Leaders-/-Annihilator-/-Arkona-/-Armageddon-/-Arsis-/-Ashes.of.Ares-/-Battlecross-/-Behemoth-/-BE'LAKOR-/-Belzebubs-/-Beyond.Creation-/-Black.Crown.Initiate-/-BLIND.GUARDIAN-/-Bloodbath-/-Bloodred.Hourglass-/-BORKNAGAR-/-Brymir-/-Carcass-/-Children.of.Bodom-/-Conjurer-/-The.Crown-/-Cthonic-/-Dalriada-/-Dark.Funeral-/-Dark.Tranquillity-/-Death.Angel-/-Death.to.All-/-Decapitated-/-Demonic.Resurrection-/-Demons.&.Wizards-/-Destruction-/-DGM-/-Dimmu.Borgir-/-Dragonlord-/-Enslaved-/-Equilibrium-/-ETERNAL.TEARS.OF.SORROW-/-Evocation-/-Finsterforst-/-Fleshgod.Apocalypse-/-Galactic.Empire-/-Ghoul-/-Gojira-/-Harakiri.for.the.Sky-/-Heidevolk-/-Hypocrisy-/-Iced.Earth-/-Immortal-/-Inferi-/-IN.MOURNING-/-Insomnium-/-In.Vain-/-Irreversible.Mechanism-/-Keep.of.Kalessin-/-Kreator-/-Kvelertak-/-Lovebites-/-Manegarm-/-Mastodon-/-Melechesh-/-Midnight-/-MGLA-/-Myrkur-/-Naglfar-/-Necrophagist-/-Necrophobic-/-Ne.Obliviscaris-/-Night.Demon-/-Nile-/-Obscura-/-Old.Man's.Child-/-Onslaught-/-Opeth-/-Orden.Ogan-/-Powerglove-/-Power.Trip-/-Psycroptic-/-Rage-/-Refuge-/-Revocation-/-Rivers.of.Nihil-/-Septicflesh-/-Solution.45-/-Swallow.the.Sun-/-SYMPHONY.X-/-TAAKE-/-Tankard-/-Testament-/-TRIBULATION-/-Uada-/-Unleash.the.Archers-/-Vader-/-Vallenfyre-/-Vektor-/-Warbringer-/-Watain-/-Winterfylleth-/-Winterhymn-/-WITCHERY-/-Witherscape-/-Wolfheart-/-Wolves.in.the.Throne.Room
    slayergeek
    Midshipman

by slayergeek » Tue Mar 07, 2023 1:51 pm

Downvod wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 12:54 pm

Don't be intimidated by the prospect of a bigger crowd. It makes the merch queue longer for sure, but nothing else is ever much of an issue. I don't recall ever having my experience negatively impacted by the boat being full. If anything, it definitely adds to the atmosphere that makes the cruise special.
    Agreed. I missed the more crowded boat this year, and in fact that was my only negative take away from this years cruise. The merch line was the biggest impact for sure, everything else...while present, was more minor.
    Survivor
    • 2014,2015,2016,2017,2018,2019,2020,2023,2024,See_you_in_2025

Absolute_Darkness-Death/Thrash_Band_I_am_the_Singer/Guitarist_for
    • FacebookPage-https://www.facebook.com/BandAbsoluteDarkness

Thud_Bukit-Death/Comedy_Band_I_am_the_Singer/Guitarist/Drummer/Bassist_for
    • FacebookPage-https://www.facebook.com/Thud-Bukit-100960638505481

70k Bands - Unofficial iPhone/Android_app_of_the_70,000_tons_cruise
    WishList
    • Old_Man's_Child-/-Battle_Cross-/-Impaled-/-Dismember-/-Amon_Amarth-/-Dethklok-/-Gruesome-/-Rotten_Sound-/-As_Blood_Runs_Black-/-Through_The_Eyes_Of_The_Dead-/-Testament-/
    toby
    Midshipman

by toby » Tue Mar 07, 2023 5:16 pm

Yeah, don't forget that on average, that's only 250 people more per show per stage. This round was just weird. I definitely enjoyed the lack of lines all around, but the regular 70K crowd is not overwhelming at all. It's just more energy. This felt a little less lively.
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Tue Mar 07, 2023 5:18 pm

toby wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 5:16 pm

Yeah, don't forget that on average, that's only 250 people more per show per stage. This round was just weird. I definitely enjoyed the lack of lines all around, but the regular 70K crowd is not overwhelming at all. It's just more energy. This felt a little less lively.
    Agreed. Like, last time Dragonforce was on the boat their second show was INTENSE. Crowd surfers everywhere.

By comparison their crowd this year was practically comatose :P
    Upcoming Gigs:
    2025 Wishlist
    Welli
    Oiler

by Welli » Wed Mar 08, 2023 6:50 am

I was happy that we sailed from Port Miami again. Since we usually stay in Miami Beach, it’s faster and cheaper to get there. Boarding and debarkation were very smooth.
    I like a more familiar atmosphere, so I enjoyed that the boat was less crowded.
    The weather was wonderful, no heavy wind and balmy nights.
    I don’t need many headliners, there are lots of amazing small bands. My preferred stage is the Star Lounge, it’s small and intense.
    Annoying was that Foster’s beer was out on the last day. We were hunting high and low to get a last can. :givebeer:
    We didn’t care about the late announcements and late booking. We booked flights and hotel months ago because we knew that we will have a good time again.
    toby
    Midshipman

by toby » Wed Mar 08, 2023 7:42 am

We'll probably stay at Hollywood Beach again even if it's still at Port Miami. Just a more laid back vibe that we prefer. We'll also probably split our flights again. That worked out pretty well.
  • sflheadbanger
    Petty Officer

by sflheadbanger » Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:57 am

That's fair and wouldn't be too bad, most of the shows I attended had plenty of room left. The additional people won't change my mind about going next year, I just might have to spend time in the corner of the wine bar to get away from people some times =).
    2023, 2024
    toby
    Midshipman

by toby » Wed Mar 08, 2023 9:43 am

sflheadbanger wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:57 am

That's fair and wouldn't be too bad, most of the shows I attended had plenty of room left. The additional people won't change my mind about going next year, I just might have to spend time in the corner of the wine bar to get away from people some times =).
    Yeah, don't do like the guy that passed out on the middle of the bar. He attracted attention and had multiple selfies taken with him. Vintages was a pretty cool spot to decompress.
  • Death tattoo guy
    Oiler

by Death tattoo guy » Thu Mar 09, 2023 9:53 am

Jotunheimr wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 7:05 pm Sorry if this has been asked before but how was the experience this year compared to previous years? I heard that they were far from selling out this year. Is that because of the aftermath of COVID? And why do you think there were only 2 headliners this time? I really wanted to go but couldn’t get time off work but I’ll be there next time for sure.
    Most relaxing of the 10 cruises I've been on and that wasn't due to the lineup. The Running Order was about as perfect as it gets for me. There definitely was less people, which was ok by me as far as waiting for things. As far as it not selling out, this is the climate now. People need more time to plan. Prices of things have jumped significantly.
    10 Wishlist bands I've never seen live:
    Decadence
    The Halo Effect
    Aephanemer
    Nagasaki Sunrise
    Inhuman Condition
    Burning Witches
    Crystal Viper
    Frozen Crown
    Jenner
    Sorcerer

Survivor: Barge To Hell,2013,2014,2015,2016,2017,2018,2019, 2020, 2023
    Yippee38
    Petty Officer

by Yippee38 » Thu Mar 09, 2023 2:46 pm

Jotunheimr wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 6:10 pm That sounds great if you're not into Nightwish. More time to chill out and eat a good meal without missing anything.
    The other thing to remember is that with no other shows besides Nightwish, their shows were WAY more packed than any other band playing in the same venue. There wasn't anything else to do.

Somebody said that this year felt more laid back. That's absolutely true. I didn't realize it until I read that comment, but it was more relaxed having less crowd. In a way, that was cool. But in a way, it sucked because I didn't feel like I got as caught up in the vibe as on previous years.

The merch lines were fantastic.

The RC app, IMO, sucked. It didn't work 90+% of the time. Same for my wife.
    Pellaz
    Lieutenant

by Pellaz » Sun Mar 12, 2023 1:09 pm

Hmm, now I'm trying to remember how well (or not) the RC app worked for me. :lol:
    The 70K app worked fine, plus I carried an eventually dog-eared PDF print of the running order.
    toby wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:18 am I know the official numbers put it at 85-90% of previous years, but I think the 66.6-70% guesstimate is probably closer to accurate from the feel of things. So, basically, picture an increase of 50% over the people that were there this round.
    ^ Agreed! Even in "sold out" past years, including the year it ACTUALLY and truly sold out, I don't remember being too adversely impacted by excessive crowds, except maybe getting lunch in the Windjammer at embark...but that's a problem on EVERY cruise, not just 70K.
    I didn't see the initial line-up for merch so I can't compare with previous years, but I dutifully went during my ticket-number "window" and found more boat-shirts still available than I expected.
    Kudos to 70K, too, for making ALL the T-shirts the same price this year: 70K shirts, regular band shirts, and boat-shirts all $35.

Here's hoping Andy and UMC learned a lesson this year and make critical announcements -- like sailing dates and the departure port -- in a more timely fashion. Ship name, destination, even band announcements can wait, but the dates and the port are what people NEED to know to make travel plans and request paid time off.
    2025 Wishlist:
    1349--Abbath--Abigail.Williams--Aephanemer--Agalloch--Agathodaimon--Alien.Weaponry--Allegaeon--Amon.Amarth--Amorphis--Animals.As.Leaders--Arkona--Arsis--Atrocity--Ayreon--Bal.Sagoth--Baroness--Barren.Earth--Battlelore--Behemoth--Below.7--Belzebubs--Be'lakor--Black.Crown.Initiate--Bloodbath--Borknagar--Broken.Trinity--Cannibal.Corpse--Chthe'ilist--CoF--Countless.Skies--Cynic--Demons.&.Wizards--Dimmu.Borgir--Dark.Tranquillity--Dragonforce--Edge.of.Sanity--Witherscape--anything.Dan.Swano--Eluveitie--Eneferens--Ensiferum--Enslaved--Eternal.Tears.of.Sorrow--Evergrey--Exmortus--Ex.Deo--Fear.Factory--Fires.In.the.Distance--Gojira--Graveworm--Green.Carnation--Hypocrisy--Immortal--Insomnium--Irreversible.Mechanism--Kalmah--Kamelot--Keep.Of.Kalessin--Korpiklaani--Kreator--Leprous--Luciferan.Light.Orchestra--Loss--Melechesh--Meshuggah--Mezarkabul--Moonspell--Mors.Principium.Est--Myrath--Ne.Obliviscaris--Nile--Nokturnal.Mortem--NorthTale--Novembers.Doom--Obscura--Old.Mans.Child--Opeth--Paladin--Poisonblack--Powerwolf--Primordial--Rapheumet's.Well--Raven--Rivers.Of.Nihil--Ryujin--Sabaton--Sadistic.Ritual--Samael--Satyricon--Savatage--Scale.the.Summit--Scorched.Moon--Septic.Flesh--Serious.Black--Seven.Spires--Sigh--Skalmold--Slough.Feg--Starkill--Steorrah--SYL--Suidakra--Summoning--Tarot--Therion--Thy.Serpent--Tomarum--Tomb.Mold--Turisas--Twilight.Force--Tyr--Vale.Of.Pnath--Valhalore--Vesania--Vintersorg--Wolfchant--Yyrkoon
    2015-2020; 2023-2024: Survivor
    2025: most likely
    aleyeahed
    Crewman

by aleyeahed » Sun Mar 12, 2023 7:30 pm

Yeah, I'll pile on and agree with what most folks said about this year: topped the previous sails I've been on, which every one prior had done, admittedly I've only 3 notches on the belt. Perhaps that curve flattens out eventually, but the more friends I make on Boat, the better (BOATER!) it gets. The only negative with more people on broad is the merch situation really. Well, that and maybe visibility in the Lounge as with fewer people that venue became pretty gotdang dope this year. I say that having several fond memories in the Lounge, but when it's too crowded, let's be honest, it kinda sux, especially being short.

Overall atmosphere was a little muted no doubt, but I had a blast and the pros outweighed the cons by a fair measure.
    2024: Survived
    2023: Survived
    2021-2022: Nothing but Desperate Dreams
    2020: Survived
    2019: Survived
    2018 and prior: Eye of the Tiger was the only Survivor I was privy to

202∞ Wish Upon a Fallen Angel List

1914/200.Stab.Wounds/3.Inches.of.Blood/Acerus/Acid.Bath/Act.Of.Impalement/Aephanemer/Afsky/Afterbirth/Agalloch/Air.Raid/Alkaloid/Amalekim/...And.Oceans/Anaal.Nathrakh/An.Abstract.Illusion/Ancient.Empire/Ancient.Mastery/Angrrsth/Antioch/Antrisch/Arcturus/Arkheron.Thodol/Ashenspire/Atavista/Attic/Atvm/Autonoesis/Avantasia/Be'lakor/Belzebubs/Blackbraid/Black.Soul.Horde/Bolt.Thrower/Blut.Aus.Nord/Borknagar/Bütcher/Caladan.Brood/Carpathian.Forest/Chapel.Of.Disease/Cirith.Ungol/Corpsessed/Countless.Skies/Crypts.of.Despair/Crystal.Coffin/Cursebinder/Daeva/Demiser/De.Profundis/Diabolizer/Diamonds.Hadder/Disguised.Malignance/Dissimulator/Dordeduh/Dormant.Ideal/Draconian/Duskmourn/Elderwind/Empyrium/Enforced/Eternal.Storm/Eternal.Tears.Of.Sorrow/Evil.Invaders/Faceless.Burial/Faithxtractor/Fossilization/Frozen.Dawn/Gaerea/Gallowbraid/Gevurah/Gravesend/Grima/Hath/Havukruunu/Heilung/Helloween/Hellripper/Hot.Graves/Iron.Savior/Judicator/Kanonenfieber/Kardashev/Keel/King.Diamond/Kostnatění/Kvaen/Kryptos/Lamp.Of.Murmuur/Leiþa/Lizzy.Borden/Loviator/Lurid/Malformity/Malokarpatan/Mānbryne/Manticora/Mare.Cognitum/Marrasmieli/Maul/Megaton.Sword/Mephorash/Metal.Church/Mortiferum/Musk.Ox/Misþyrming/Moonlight.Sorcery/Necropanther/Necrophobic/Non.Est.Deus/Nothingness/Obsequiae/Omnicidal/Operus/Overkill/Panzerfaust/Perliaxe.Occlusion/Raider/Rimfrost/Riot.City/Running.Wild/Sacred.Outcry/Second.to.Sun/Schammasch/Selbst/Shylmagoghnar/Sisyphean/Sojourner/Spectral.Voice/Starlight.Ritual/Stormkeep/Stygian.Crown/Suffering.Hour/Sulphur.Aeon/Sumerlands/Sur.Austru/Tankard/The.Committee/The.Night.Eternal/Thron/Thundering.Hooves/Tómarúm/Tower/Traveler/Tribunal/Triumph/Tzompantli/Udande/Úlfúð/Ultha/Unfelled/Véhémence/Vengeful.Spectre/Venator/Visigoth/Vorga/Vorna/Vredhammer/W.A.S.P./Warcrab/Wardruna/Wayfarer/Wayward.Dawn/Wheel.(Germany)/White.Ward/Wings.Of.Steel/Witch.Vomit/Wormwitch/
  • Phoenix
    Lieutenant

by Phoenix » Tue Mar 14, 2023 7:49 am

cowboy71 wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 10:34 pm And the RC App was magnificent!
    So question about this RC app - I see that there's a chat feature that lets you plan with friends on broad without buying the wifi package (which is super neat). Is your display name your passenger name? Because I don't use my legal name and I don't want other people to know/use it...

Survivor:
    Out for 2023
  • Downvod
    Midshipman

by Downvod » Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:33 am

Phoenix wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 7:49 am
    So question about this RC app - I see that there's a chat feature that lets you plan with friends on broad without buying the wifi package (which is super neat). Is your display name your passenger name? Because I don't use my legal name and I don't want other people to know/use it...
    If I am remembering correctly, I want to say that we did have the option to set up our own user name.
    70k 2016: Cabin 7279
    70k 2017: Cabin 6361
    70k 2018: Cabin 1704
    70k 2019: Cabin 1402
    70k 2020: Cabin 9220
    70k 2023: Cabin 1704
    70k 2024: Cabin 1688

Abbath-/-AEPHANEMER-/-Aetherian-/-Alestorm-/-Allegaeon-/-Amon.Amarth-/-Amorphis-/-Andy.Gillion-/-Animals.as.Leaders-/-Annihilator-/-Arkona-/-Armageddon-/-Arsis-/-Ashes.of.Ares-/-Battlecross-/-Behemoth-/-BE'LAKOR-/-Belzebubs-/-Beyond.Creation-/-Black.Crown.Initiate-/-BLIND.GUARDIAN-/-Bloodbath-/-Bloodred.Hourglass-/-BORKNAGAR-/-Brymir-/-Carcass-/-Children.of.Bodom-/-Conjurer-/-The.Crown-/-Cthonic-/-Dalriada-/-Dark.Funeral-/-Dark.Tranquillity-/-Death.Angel-/-Death.to.All-/-Decapitated-/-Demonic.Resurrection-/-Demons.&.Wizards-/-Destruction-/-DGM-/-Dimmu.Borgir-/-Dragonlord-/-Enslaved-/-Equilibrium-/-ETERNAL.TEARS.OF.SORROW-/-Evocation-/-Finsterforst-/-Fleshgod.Apocalypse-/-Galactic.Empire-/-Ghoul-/-Gojira-/-Harakiri.for.the.Sky-/-Heidevolk-/-Hypocrisy-/-Iced.Earth-/-Immortal-/-Inferi-/-IN.MOURNING-/-Insomnium-/-In.Vain-/-Irreversible.Mechanism-/-Keep.of.Kalessin-/-Kreator-/-Kvelertak-/-Lovebites-/-Manegarm-/-Mastodon-/-Melechesh-/-Midnight-/-MGLA-/-Myrkur-/-Naglfar-/-Necrophagist-/-Necrophobic-/-Ne.Obliviscaris-/-Night.Demon-/-Nile-/-Obscura-/-Old.Man's.Child-/-Onslaught-/-Opeth-/-Orden.Ogan-/-Powerglove-/-Power.Trip-/-Psycroptic-/-Rage-/-Refuge-/-Revocation-/-Rivers.of.Nihil-/-Septicflesh-/-Solution.45-/-Swallow.the.Sun-/-SYMPHONY.X-/-TAAKE-/-Tankard-/-Testament-/-TRIBULATION-/-Uada-/-Unleash.the.Archers-/-Vader-/-Vallenfyre-/-Vektor-/-Warbringer-/-Watain-/-Winterfylleth-/-Winterhymn-/-WITCHERY-/-Witherscape-/-Wolfheart-/-Wolves.in.the.Throne.Room
  • Phoenix
    Lieutenant

by Phoenix » Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:50 am

Downvod wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:33 am
    Phoenix wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 7:49 am
    If I am remembering correctly, I want to say that we did have the option to set up our own user name.
    That would be very cool if so! I just... really, really don't like my legal name, so I only use it at work >.>

Survivor:
    Out for 2023
    homer907
    Oiler

by homer907 » Tue Mar 14, 2023 12:40 pm

It was my first time going. I had a great time. Was bummed that a lot of the technical issues caused bands to start late on the pool deck. Obscuras first set was only 3 songs due to sound problems. I thought all the bands I saw sounded great once they started playing though. The RC app was nice to use. Once tickets for 2024 go up I'll be getting them again for myself and the girlfriend. She had lots of fun even though she's not into metal as much as I am.
Post Reply 31 posts Page 1 of 1